2 replies to this topic

#1 Jeweliet01

Jeweliet01

Pi

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:57 PM

Does the number 666 have any meaning attached to it?

I KIN 10:14 Now the weight of gold that came to Solomon in one year was six hundred threescore and six talents of gold,
Romans 7:15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

#2 Matt Smith

Matt Smith

Upsilon

• Forum Manager
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 08:01 PM

I KIN 10:14 Now the weight of gold that came to Solomon in one year was six hundred threescore and six talents of gold,

In this particular passage, I don't think so. The one in Rev., yes.
Matt Smith
Arizona Christadelphians

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

#3 Lectron

Lectron

Sigma

• Christadelphian Armoury
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 12:57 AM

Yes I believe so very much Jeweliet. Not because there is anything intrinsically special about 666 - although much can be written about the number specifically. It is significant here for (IMO) one reason. Jesus tells us in His Revelation:-

Rev 13:18 Here is the wisdom. Let him having reason count the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man. And its number is six hundred and sixty-six.

1Ki 10:14 is the
1/ only unambiguous reference to 666 in the entire Bible
2/ Jesus calls for wisdom in decrypting the meaning of Rev 13:18.
3/ The number is associated with a 'man' namely Solomon - the 'wisest man in all the earth'.
4/ It is also applied to a quantity of Gold associated with that number
5/ It is the income of His monarchy in just one year ( an astounding sum gained from commercial trade)
6/ Solomon is the Archetypical 'successful' King of David's line in the accumulation of Mammon.
7/ The fact that he applied his wisdom in the getting of wealth manifestly against the spirit and letter of the Law of Moses (Trading in Horses and polygamy for political and commercial purposes to mention just two) compells us to conclude that any spiritual wisdom he started off with became severely compromised.

It is in fact 'spiritual wisdom' which the 'greater than Solomon', Jesus had in contrast to his wealth (nowhere to lay his head) he of all people was the epitomy of one who refused to serve money yet was rich beyond words.

Mat 6:24 No one can serve two masters. For either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will hold to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.

Mat 19:21 Jesus said to him, If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you shall have treasure in Heaven. And come, follow Me.

Mat 12:35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart brings out good things; and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings out evil things.

The same principle was there in the Law for Solomon to follow

Deu 28:12 Jehovah shall open to you His good treasure, the heaven to give the rain to your land in its season, and to bless all the work of your hand. And you shall loan to many nations, and you shall not borrow.

Solomon ultimately by mishandling his mammon brought forth evil treasure rather than having treasure in heaven and his legacy was the financial and moral collapse into a divided Kingdom. and an example of Paul's words to Timothy

1Ti 6:10 For the love of money is a root of all evils, of which some having lusted after, they were seduced from the faith and pierced themselves through with many sorrows

What has this to do with the Beast of the earth? I believe this system under whose yoke the faithful work out their salvation is a system driven by the ruthlessness of money seeking, and money making, in contradistinction to the faithful people of God who see the wealth of this life tools, by which they may seek that better treasure which can only be stored in the heart, and which only God in heaven can 'reckon' or 'number'

Edited by Lectron, 16 August 2006 - 01:13 AM.

....by grace you are saved through faith,
and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God,
not of works, lest anyone should boast.
For we are
his
workmanship,
created in Christ Jesus to good works

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users