7 replies to this topic

#1 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 01:18 PM

I'm hoping this study will help us see how the early ecclesias were formed and organised, and how we can better relate our experiences to theirs. Hopefully this will also show that there is much more to ecclesial work than the brethren who speak from the platform.

Let's look at the roles first:

Bishop

Philippians 1:1; 1 Timothy 3:1-7; Titus 1:6-9.

Used of Christ in 1 Peter 2:25.

Deacon

Philippians 1:1; 1 Timothy 3:8-13.

Elder

Acts 11:30; Acts 14:23; Acts 15:2,4,6,22-3; Acts 16:4; Acts 20:17; Acts 21:18; 1 Timothy 5:1, 17, 19; Titus 1:5; James 5:14; 1 Peter 5:1; 2 John 1; 3 John 1.

Evangelist

Ephesians 4:11.

Governments

1 Corinthians 12:25.

Pastor

Ephesians 4:11.

Used of Christ in 1 Peter 2:25, and translated 'shepherd'.

Prophet

1 Corinthians 12:25; Ephesians 4:11.

Teacher

1 Corinthians 12:25; Ephesians 4:11.
Miserere mei Deus,
Secundum magnam misericordiam tuam.
Et secundum multitudinem miserationum tuarum
dele iniquitatem meam.

Wesley answered “Thank you, sir. Your letter was superfluous, however, as I already knew the Lord has no need for my ‘book-learning,’ as you put it. However—although the Lord has not directed me to say so—on my own responsibility I would like to say to you that the Lord does not need your ignorance, either.”

Osborne & Woodward, ‘Handbook for Bible study’, pp. 13-14 (1979)

#2 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 01:20 PM

DEFINITIONS AND QUALIFICATIONS

Bishops

Episkope - Overseer, superintendent, steward or manager (as oikodespotes in Titus 1:6, a houseruler). One of the elders in the eccleisa, a leading brother. We call them 'arranging brethren' or 'managing brethren'.

1 Timothy 3:
1This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.

2A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;  
3Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;  
4One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
5(For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
6Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.  
7Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

Titus 1:
6If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly.
7For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre;
8But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate;  9Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

Miserere mei Deus,
dele iniquitatem meam.

Wesley answered “Thank you, sir. Your letter was superfluous, however, as I already knew the Lord has no need for my ‘book-learning,’ as you put it. However—although the Lord has not directed me to say so—on my own responsibility I would like to say to you that the Lord does not need your ignorance, either.”

#3 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 01:21 PM

Deacons

Diakonos - Attendant, servant, minister, waiter. Someone in a serving capacity, not a leader or elder. Those who serve on committees are deacons. But note that the qualififications for deacons are still very high.

1 Timothy 3:
8Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;
9Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience.
10And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless.
11Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things.
12Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.
13For they that have used the office of a deacon well purchase to themselves a good degree, and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus.

Romans 16:
1 I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a deacon of the ecclesia which is at Cenchrea:

Miserere mei Deus,
dele iniquitatem meam.

#4 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 01:24 PM

Elders

Presbuteros - Literally, an old man. Elder in years or experience. Synonymous with bishop, always a brother, and always a position of leadership.

1 Peter 5:
1  The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed:

2 John 1:
1  The elder unto the elect lady and her children, whom I love in the truth; and not I only, but also all they that have known the truth;

3 John 1:
1  The elder unto the wellbeloved Gaius, whom I love in the truth.

Miserere mei Deus,
dele iniquitatem meam.

#5 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 01:25 PM

Evangelists

Evaggelistes - Evangelists. Heralds of the gospel who are not apostles. Anyone can be an evangelist - brother or sister. It is not a leadership role within the ecclesia.

Acts 21:
8  And the next day we that were of Paul’s company departed, and came unto Caesarea: and we entered into the house of Philip the evangelist, which was one of the seven; and abode with him.

2 Timothy 4:
5  But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

Miserere mei Deus,
dele iniquitatem meam.

#6 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 01:26 PM

Governments

Kubernhsis - Literally, ‘to steer’. Compare with kubernhtes, the helmsman of a boat. Used collectively to refer to the brethren who lead the ecclesia - the bishops, or elders.

1Cointhians 12:
28  And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

Miserere mei Deus,
dele iniquitatem meam.

#7 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 01:28 PM

Pastors

Poimen - Herdsman, shepherd. Anyone can be a pastor, a brother or sister. It is a work of personal caring and guidance.

Ephesians 4:
11  And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

1 Peter 2:
25For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

Edited by Fortigurn, 13 June 2003 - 01:29 PM.

Miserere mei Deus,
dele iniquitatem meam.

#8 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 01:31 PM

Teachers

Didaskalos - Teachers, instructors. These can be brethren or sisters - the only distinction between the use of the office by the brother and the sister is that the sisters are not to each the congregation.

1 Corinthians 12:
28  And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

1 Corinthians 12:
29  Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?

Ephesians 4:
11  And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

1 Timothy 2:
12  But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

Titus 2:
3  The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;
4  That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,

Miserere mei Deus,
dele iniquitatem meam.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users