• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Kay

Kay

Upsilon

• Admin
  • 4,212 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 05:33 AM

Could we have one or two volunteers to moderate the debate in "The Pankration" between Fortigurn and
Asyncritus?

Hyperion did offer his services and also Huldah, Huldah is still moderating, but because Hyperion has more pressing matters, "Real Life", as we all do from time to time Huldah needs some help.

One or two would be fine, which means you can move and remove or comment and edit others posts.

Please PM me or one of the other moderators, Cdelph, Huldah, Dianne etcetera.
"seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness" Matthew 6:33

#2 Asyncritus

Asyncritus

Chi

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 11:34 AM

Kay

As no one seems to be forthcoming, would Huldah mind carrying on by herself? It's not too onerous a job, as we are behaving ourselves pretty well I thought.

Or should we move it into the main Eschatology forum so everyone can have a say?
God, be merciful to me
The Sinner

#3 Huldah

Huldah

Phi

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 12:07 PM

Asyncritus, it is very onerous when you are both very wordy. Agree to cut down on your word counts and I'll continue, otherwise, it will be too unweldy for me.

I have 50 essays to mark by tomorrow... :thank:
"Dear friends, if our conscience does not condemn us, we have confidence in the presence of God and whatever we ask we receive from him, because we keep his commandments and do the things that are pleasing to him. Now this is his commandment: that we believe in the name of his Son Jesus Christ and love one another, just as he gave us the commandment. And the person who keeps his commandments resides in God, and God in him. Now by this we know that God resides in us: by the Spirit he has given us"
1 John 3.21-24

#4 Asyncritus

Asyncritus

Chi

• Christadelphian MD
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 01:07 PM

Asyncritus, it is very onerous when you are both very wordy. Agree to cut down on your word counts and I'll continue, otherwise, it will be too unweldy for me.

I have 50 essays to mark by tomorrow... :shy:

:thank:

I'll be short. Hmm, better rephrase that somehow! :P
God, be merciful to me
The Sinner

#5 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 01:23 PM

I submitted to the Mods and to the debate discussion thread a suggestion for reform in this area, as well as a request that the debate guideslines be enforced (to date they have not yet been enforced).

I would like that suggestion to be taken under consideration. I have a reply ready to post, but I see no advantage in continuing unless something like my suggestion is undertaken, and the debate guidelines are enforced.

Edited by Fortigurn, 22 January 2006 - 01:24 PM.

Miserere mei Deus,
Secundum magnam misericordiam tuam.
Et secundum multitudinem miserationum tuarum
dele iniquitatem meam.

Wesley answered “Thank you, sir. Your letter was superfluous, however, as I already knew the Lord has no need for my ‘book-learning,’ as you put it. However—although the Lord has not directed me to say so—on my own responsibility I would like to say to you that the Lord does not need your ignorance, either.”

Osborne & Woodward, ‘Handbook for Bible study’, pp. 13-14 (1979)

#6 Asyncritus

Asyncritus

Chi

• Christadelphian MD
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 05:10 PM

I submitted to the Mods and to the debate discussion thread a suggestion for reform in this area, as well as a request that the debate guideslines be enforced (to date they have not yet been enforced).

I would like that suggestion to be taken under consideration. I have a reply ready to post, but I see no advantage in continuing unless something like my suggestion is undertaken, and the debate guidelines are enforced.

What suggestion is that?
God, be merciful to me
The Sinner

#7 Kay

Kay

Upsilon

• Admin
  • 4,212 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 09:24 PM

Winston I think has offered to be a moderator on this forum, or he enquired about it.

We just have to go through the process of approval of moderators then we can get back on track with the moderation of this trhead.

A day or two perhaps (however, will raise the matter with Winston again).

k

#8 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 10:12 PM

What suggestion is that?

That a strict word limit be set and enforced, and that word limit be 3,000 words. I also wish to suggest that all posts contain only information directly relevant to Revelation (we should not be still debating the meaning of other prophecies such as Zechariah 12, Joel 3, and the Olivet prophecy).

Any additional points which we wish to raise, should be written in a Word document and attached to our post, so that people can read the main argument in the post, and download and read any auxillary points if they wish to do so (but they won't have to wade through them in the post itself).
Miserere mei Deus,
dele iniquitatem meam.

Wesley answered “Thank you, sir. Your letter was superfluous, however, as I already knew the Lord has no need for my ‘book-learning,’ as you put it. However—although the Lord has not directed me to say so—on my own responsibility I would like to say to you that the Lord does not need your ignorance, either.”

#9 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 10:13 PM

Winston I think has offered to be a moderator on this forum, or he enquired about it.

We just have to go through the process of approval of moderators then we can get back on track with the moderation of this trhead.

A day or two perhaps (however, will raise the matter with Winston again).

:thank:
Miserere mei Deus,
dele iniquitatem meam.

#10 Asyncritus

Asyncritus

Chi

• Christadelphian MD
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:10 AM

What suggestion is that?

That a strict word limit be set and enforced, and that word limit be 3,000 words. I also wish to suggest that all posts contain only information directly relevant to Revelation (we should not be still debating the meaning of other prophecies such as Zechariah 12, Joel 3, and the Olivet prophecy).

Any additional points which we wish to raise, should be written in a Word document and attached to our post, so that people can read the main argument in the post, and download and read any auxillary points if they wish to do so (but they won't have to wade through them in the post itself).

Given Huldah's time constraints, and given that the points now being thrashed out have already had some exposure, 3000 may be a bit much don't you think?

I didn't think we were debating Zech 12, OP and Joel 3. I wasn't anyway. Those passages must come into any interpretation of Revelation, and a blanket ban on discussing them, relevantly of course, will be counterproductive. I have made use of the gospels mainly, with illustrative utilisation of various other passages. It is impossible to interpret the Revelation without extensive use of other Scriptures.

Edited by Asyncritus, 23 January 2006 - 09:11 AM.

God, be merciful to me
The Sinner

#11 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:16 AM

What suggestion is that?

Given Huldah's time constraints, and given that the points now being thrashed out have already had some exposure, 3000 may be a bit much don't you think?

You're right, I am being generous for your sake. I would prefer a limit of 1,000 words.

I didn't think we were debating Zech 12, OP and Joel 3. I wasn't anyway.

We certainly have been.

Those passages must come into any interpretation of Revelation, and a blanket ban on discussing them, relevantly of course, will be counterproductive. I have made use of the gospels mainly, with illustrative utilisation of various other passages. It is impossible to interpret the Revelation without extensive use of other Scriptures.

I'm not saying they will be forbidden. I have simply said that the exposition of these passages should not be included in the main posts. Such exposition should be included in an attached file for the audience to read or not as they choose. We can refer in our main posts to extra points made in this file.
Miserere mei Deus,
dele iniquitatem meam.

#12 Asyncritus

Asyncritus

Chi

• Christadelphian MD
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 01:12 PM

I'm not saying they will be forbidden. I have simply said that the exposition of these passages should not be included in the main posts. Such exposition should be included in an attached file for the audience to read or not as they choose. We can refer in our main posts to extra points made in this file.

This is going to be tricky, and is headed down the see here, here, here route again. Why don't we simply use footnotes which may or may not be read at will, and which do not count towards the 1000 word per post limit, so the moderators won't have the burden of necessarily having to read them ?

And which will not be referred to saying, I've already directed you to...in footnote X, since they will merely be for the convenience of the more interested readers. They may be quoted in the main text, but not used as a baseball bat.
God, be merciful to me
The Sinner

#13 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:41 PM

This is going to be tricky, and is headed down the see here, here, here route again.

No it's not. It's simply going to be 'See attached'.

Why don't we simply use footnotes which may or may not be read at will, and which do not count towards the 1000 word per post limit, so the moderators won't have the burden of necessarily having to read them ?

You might as well put them in an attached Word document.
Miserere mei Deus,
dele iniquitatem meam.

#14 Asyncritus

Asyncritus

Chi

• Christadelphian MD
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:55 AM

This is going to be tricky, and is headed down the see here, here, here route again.

No it's not. It's simply going to be 'See attached'.

Why don't we simply use footnotes which may or may not be read at will, and which do not count towards the 1000 word per post limit, so the moderators won't have the burden of necessarily having to read them ?

You might as well put them in an attached Word document.

That's assuming you know how to attach a Word document, and that having attached a Word document, the readers know how to open it. I'll write footnotes and separate them clearly from the main text. You do the Word document thing. That way we're both happy.

Any news from Winston, Kay?
God, be merciful to me
The Sinner

#15 Kay

Kay

Upsilon

• Admin
  • 4,212 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:14 AM

I have changed Winston's status to BTDF Armoury (think I was supposed to get back to him, and slack Kay didn't) - and sent him a message, so Winston can now confirm in this thread his willingness to moderate the debate.

#16 Asyncritus

Asyncritus

Chi

• Christadelphian MD
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:59 AM

I have changed Winston's status to BTDF Armoury (think I was supposed to get back to him, and slack Kay didn't) - and sent him a message, so Winston can now confirm in this thread his willingness to moderate the debate.

What's BTDF Armoury? For that matter, what's MD?
God, be merciful to me
The Sinner

#17 Asyncritus

Asyncritus

Chi

• Christadelphian MD
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:23 PM

Are we ready to go again?
God, be merciful to me
The Sinner

#18 Winston

Winston

Pi

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:51 PM

I'm here :bye:

For my benefit, what's the basic premise of the debate? Some of the conditions appear at the beginning of this thread. Is that it?
"So they were scattered, because there was no shepherd, and they became food for all the wild beasts. "

#19 Evangelion

Evangelion

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 22,351 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:06 PM

What's BTDF Armoury?

Managers for The Armoury.

For that matter, what's MD?

Mature Discussion. :bye:
In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas
Imago
Credo

#20 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:20 PM

I'm here :)

For my benefit, what's the basic premise of the debate? Some of the conditions appear at the beginning of this thread. Is that it?

:bye:
Miserere mei Deus,
dele iniquitatem meam.

#21 Asyncritus

Asyncritus

Chi

• Christadelphian MD
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:20 AM

What's BTDF Armoury?

Managers for The Armoury.

For that matter, what's MD?

Mature Discussion. :)

:bye:

If its OK with Huldah, it's your turn to bat, I think, Fort. 1000 max.

Edited by Asyncritus, 01 February 2006 - 08:30 AM.

God, be merciful to me
The Sinner

#22 Huldah

Huldah

Phi

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 06:39 PM

I've reopened the thread...

:bye: :P :)
"Dear friends, if our conscience does not condemn us, we have confidence in the presence of God and whatever we ask we receive from him, because we keep his commandments and do the things that are pleasing to him. Now this is his commandment: that we believe in the name of his Son Jesus Christ and love one another, just as he gave us the commandment. And the person who keeps his commandments resides in God, and God in him. Now by this we know that God resides in us: by the Spirit he has given us"
1 John 3.21-24

#23 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:58 PM

I'm away for the next two days.
Miserere mei Deus,
dele iniquitatem meam.

#24 Winston

Winston

Pi

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:07 PM

sorry...what's the topic for the debate?
"So they were scattered, because there was no shepherd, and they became food for all the wild beasts. "

#25 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:08 PM

sorry...what's the topic for the debate?

Here.
Miserere mei Deus,
dele iniquitatem meam.

#26 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:35 PM

When there is agreement on the word limit for each post, I will make my reply.
Miserere mei Deus,
dele iniquitatem meam.

#27 Huldah

Huldah

Phi

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:47 PM

I'm very busy for the next month and may not be able to keep up with the moderating.

Winston, I'll leave this debate in your capable hands, until mid March.
1 John 3.21-24

#28 Asyncritus

Asyncritus

Chi

• Christadelphian MD
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 12:23 AM

Remind me?
God, be merciful to me
The Sinner

#29 Winston

Winston

Pi

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:14 PM

I'm very busy for the next month and may not be able to keep up with the moderating.

Winston, I'll leave this debate in your capable hands, until mid March.

That's a bit of an assumption isn't it :popcorn:

#30 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:04 PM

Remind me?

See earlier posts in this thread.
Miserere mei Deus,
dele iniquitatem meam.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users