16 replies to this topic

#1 Kesaph

Kesaph

Tau

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 08:31 PM

The intention of this thread is to give some background to the man Jeremiah and the purpose of his prophecies.
As a result I hope we can bring the pages of the :) alive and see more of their relevance to us today.

At least I'm hoping that those of you who are interested will all help me with this.
  • I intend to look at the political arena at the time.
  • I would like some help with the 'religious' politics too - ie history of Priesthood vs Kings, Israel vs Judah up to this time in history (if/where relevant)
  • A timeline for who was doing what around this time would be useful.
    Jeremiah was contemporary with a good number of the other prophets whose work we have in the Bible.
  • Maps are always a help, gives us more meat to the bones.
If anybody can recommend any reading material, and provide the sources for such that would be appreciated. :yankchain:

(I would like to be methodical here, perhaps the new ways to view threads (ie trees) could help us.)
Ultimately I would like to see the information gathered, as a wiki style page/paper.

I would also like this to be an ongoing project so feel free to give me nudge/poke/kick every now and again!!

cheers
Craig
Prov 25:2
" It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter."

Prov 27:17
" Iron sharpeneth iron, so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend."

#2 Flappie

Flappie

Psi

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,730 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 08:52 PM

I have a booklet here which deals with 3 of those things you listed, but it's in Dutch I'm afraid :yankchain:
"I am Flappicus!"
"The first condition of immortality is death."
Broeders in Christus

#3 Kesaph

Kesaph

Tau

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:17 PM

The Man

Jer 1:1 The words of Jeremiah, the son of Hilkiah, one of the priests who were in Anathoth in the land of Benjamin

Is Hilkiah the same as the one mentioned in Kings?2Ki 22:4"Go up to Hilkiah the high priest..."
Potentially:Jer 1:1 The words of Jeremiah, the son of Hilkiah [...]
Jer 1:2 to whom the word of the LORD came in the days of Josiah the son of Amon, king of Judah, in the thirteenth year of his reign.
2Ki 22:1 Josiah was eight years old when he began to reign, and he reigned thirty-one years in Jerusalem...
2Ki 22:3 In the eighteenth year of King Josiah, the king sent Shaphan the son of Azaliah, son of Meshullam, the secretary, to the house of the LORD, saying,
2Ki 22:4 "Go up to Hilkiah the high priest, that he may count the money that has been brought into the house of the LORD..."
So Hilkiah was the High Priest.
Not only that;2Ki 22:8 Hilkiah the high priest said to Shaphan the secretary, "I have found the Book of the Law in the house of the LORD." [...]
2Ki 22:12 And the king commanded Hilkiah the priest, and Ahikam the son of Shaphan, and Achbor the son of Micaiah, and Shaphan the secretary, and Asaiah the king's servant, saying,
2Ki 22:13 "Go, inquire of the LORD for me, and for the people, and for all Judah, concerning the words of this book that has been found. For great is the wrath of the LORD that is kindled against us, because our fathers have not obeyed the words of this book, to do according to all that is written concerning us."
If we take the 2 Hilkiahs as being one and the same, and that Hilkiah was High Priest when Jeremiah was prophesying then we can assume that Jeremiah would've had a childhood full of Levitcal teaching and was likely in line for a position in the priesthood himself.

Edited by Kesaph, 28 August 2005 - 12:33 AM.

" It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter."

#4 Kesaph

Kesaph

Tau

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:19 PM

I have a booklet here which deals with 3 of those things you listed, but it's in Dutch I'm afraid :yankchain:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would that booklet be a large one?
Would that be a task you would be prepared to undertake Flappie?
Alternatively do you know if the booklet was translated into Dutch, or has been translated into English?

#5 Flappie

Flappie

Psi

• Christadelphian MD
  • 7,730 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:36 PM

It's written by a Dutch brother, and I'm not sure if he translated it, if he has, it'll be difficult to get hold of though.

At the moment I'm already translating a few other things, I'll see what I can do though. I'll PM you a short description of the chapters somewhere next week.
"I am Flappicus!"
Broeders in Christus

#6 Kesaph

Kesaph

Tau

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 11:24 PM

It's written by a Dutch brother, and I'm not sure if he translated it, if he has, it'll be difficult to get hold of though.

At the moment I'm already translating a few other things, I'll see what I can do though. I'll PM you a short description of the chapters somewhere next week.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Flapster :yankchain:
This is intended as an ongoing study, so it doesn't have to be immediate.
Out of interest - which 3 areas does the Dutch bro deal with?

#7 Flappie

Flappie

Psi

• Christadelphian MD
  • 7,730 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 11:42 PM

The political situation in and outside the country, the religious situation, and a timeline. Most of it is about Jeremiah himself though.

It doesn't really deal much with the message of Jeremiah, think it's meant to explain the background.
"I am Flappicus!"
Broeders in Christus

#8 Kesaph

Kesaph

Tau

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 12:32 AM

The Geographical Setting

The man

Jer 1:1  The words of Jeremiah, the son of Hilkiah, one of the priests who were in Anathoth in the land of Benjamin

So what's so important about Anathoth?

3 miles NE of Jerusalem
One of the cities of refuge, in the tribe of Benjamin (Josh. 21:18)

When Solomon made his choice of priests back in the 10th century, he authorized Zadok as the legitimate family of priests and banished Abiathar to Anathoth. (Zadok was chosen over Abiathar because Zadok had backed Solomon to be king, while Abiathar had backed Adonijah (see 1 Kings 2:26-27).)
Since Anathoth was a very small village, it is reasonable to assume that Jeremiah was part of the Abiathar lineage.
Although a priest, Jeremiah would have been denied the privilege of serving at the Jerusalem temple.
All of this makes some sense of the negative stand Jeremiah took against the official temple in Jerusalem and the monarchy that had exiled his family.
This begins to explain why he was treated as an outsider. That he got any kind of a hearing at all in the temple and royal court is amazing.

source

Edited by Kesaph, 28 August 2005 - 01:05 AM.

#9 Kesaph

Kesaph

Tau

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 12:39 AM

The Historical Setting

Posted Image
source

Life and Times of Jeremiah640 BC - Josiah began to reign as king of Judah
627 - Jeremiah began his ministry
622 - Josiah initiated religious and political reform (Deuteronomic Reform)
609 - Josiah died at Megiddo
- Jehoahaz (Shallum) made king; lasted three months
- Jehoiakim installed king of Judah by the Egyptians
- Jeremiah delivered his Temple Sermon
605 - Battle of Carchemish: Babylonia asserted its power over Egypt
- Jeremiah's scroll read before Jehoiakim, burned by Jehoiakim
598 - Nebuchadnezzar laid siege to Jerusalem; first deportation of refugees to Babylonia (Daniel included)
- Jehoiakim died
- Jehoiachin became king, was taken to Babylon (and Jews inc. Ezekiel)
- Zedekiah installed king of Judah by Babylonians
- Jeremiah confronted Hananiah who broke the ox yoke
588 - Jeremiah imprisoned by nobles, released by Zedekiah
587 - Destruction of Jerusalem
- Gedaliah appointed governor of Judea
582 - Gedaliah assassinated
- Jeremiah traveled to Egypt
562 - Jeremiah died in Egypt (tradition=stoned for preaching aginst idolatry in Egypt)

Edited by Kesaph, 30 August 2005 - 08:50 PM.

#10 Kesaph

Kesaph

Tau

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 01:26 AM

The Book

The book of Jeremiah as we have it now is not in Chronological order.
Some of it is autobiographical (ch 1-25), other parts biographical (ch 26-45). It contains Jeremaiah's 'sermons', and his 'complaints'.

re Judgement:10 messages of judgement 2:1 – 25:38to Judah’s Kings & lying prophets; a call to repentance
[/list]9 messages of judgement 45:1 – 51:64to surrounding nations; Egypt, Philistia, Moab, Ammon, Edom, Damascus, Kedar & Hazor, Elam, Babylon
[/list]re Restoration:
  • 5 messages of consolation
  • punishment & restoration 30:1 - 24
  • new exodus 31:1 - 22
  • new covenant 31:23 - 40
  • demonstration 32:1 - 44
  • covenant promises 33:1 - 26

Edited by Kesaph, 31 August 2005 - 01:31 AM.

#11 Kesaph

Kesaph

Tau

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:23 AM

Jeremiah - a type

Moses?
Messiah / Jesus?

#12 Kesaph

Kesaph

Tau

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:25 AM

Jeremiah - a lesson

What can we learn from the prophet?

tenacity?
steadfastness?
patience?
longsuffering?
faith?
strength?

#13 Tarkus

Tarkus

Sigma

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:29 AM

K, if you are looking for good material on Jeremiah, seek out the book in the BST series.

T

#14 Kesaph

Kesaph

Tau

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:32 AM

K, if you are looking for good material on Jeremiah, seek out the book in the BST series.

T

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BST?

#15 Tarkus

Tarkus

Sigma

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:45 AM

T

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BST?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Bible Speaks Today.

Here.

T

#16 gilgalbiblewheel

gilgalbiblewheel

Gamma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 03:41 AM

Jeremiah being the 24th book goes along the 24th chapter of Matthew. They both speak against the temple:
http://www.biblewhee...tthew/Mat24.asp

Also Jeremiah is the 2nd book among the prophets, from Isaiah. And his name is mentioned in the second chapter of Matthew.

#2 shows enmity, adversity, division. Such is the case of Jeremiah.

#17 Kesaph

Kesaph

Tau

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 11:03 PM

Powerpoint accompaniment for Bible Class history overview

Attached File  JEREMIAH.ppt   174.5KB   29 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users