7 replies to this topic

#1 k4c

k4c

Lambda

• Christadelphian
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 03:15 PM

How do you interpret Ezekiel 28:12-19. I have some thoughts on these verses but I was wondering what those of you on this forum have.

Many blessings,
John

#2 Martyn

Martyn

Sigma

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 03:29 PM

It also provides an interesting commentary about what went on in the Garden of Eden.

#3 luke

luke

Tau

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 03:58 PM

... because of ... their rejection of wisdom (v17) [they were destroyed]

(My paraphrase in the hard brackets.)

The above might have something to do with the fact that Tyre had been so involved with Israel in the past (especially in the building of the temple - e.g. 1 Kings 5), so they (could have/should have) learned so much about the One True God (which could be part of the reason Tyre is described in such lovely imagery as a cherub) but, instead of turning to God, they turned to fulfilling their own greed.

(Sorry about the multitude of brackets there (sometimes I just can't help myself).)

#4 Guest_scooter_*

Guest_scooter_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2005 - 07:15 PM

The Cheribim and the Seriphim are Arch Angels that cover and reside below the Throne of G-D. One hovers above, the other Hovers below. Both are guarding angels of G-D. They dont look anything like a human

#5 InChristAlways

InChristAlways

Sigma

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:02 PM

... because of ... their rejection of wisdom (v17) [they were destroyed]

(My paraphrase in the hard brackets.)

The above might have something to do with the fact that Tyre had been so involved with Israel in the past (especially in the building of the temple - e.g. 1 Kings 5), so they (could have/should have) learned so much about the One True God (which could be part of the reason Tyre is described in such lovely imagery as a cherub) but, instead of turning to God, they turned to fulfilling their own greed.

(Sorry about the multitude of brackets there (sometimes I just can't help myself).)

What is interesting is God tells "him" that he will die the death of the "uncircumcized" by the hands of aliens. Why would God mention that unless the one dying was "circumcized"? God mentioned one had to be circumcised in the heart as well as the flesh. The jews would probably understand this better than I, but "he" is also described in Daniel 11/2 thess 2. Adam, Solomon, children of Israel/Hebrews comes to mind as does Leviathan in Ezekiel. Fascinating chapter.

Ezek 28:6 'Therefore thus says the Lord GOD: "Because you have set your heart as the heart of a god, 7 Behold, therefore, I will bring strangers against you, The most terrible of the nations; And they shall draw their swords against the beauty of your wisdom, And defile your splendor. 8 They shall throw you down into the Pit, And you shall die the death of the slain In the midst of the seas. 9 "Will you still say before him who slays you, 'I [am] a god'? But you [shall be] a man, and not a god, In the hand of him who slays you. 10 You shall die the death of the Uncircumcised By the hand of aliens;

Ezekiel 32:28 Yes, you shall be broken in the midst of the uncircumcised, And lie with [those] slain by the sword.

Ezekiel 44:9 'Thus says the Lord GOD: "No foreigner, uncircumcised in heart and uncircumcised in flesh, shall enter My sanctuary, including any foreigner who [is] among the children of Israel.
Luke 21:22 "For these are the DAYS of VENGEANCE, that ALL THINGS which are WRITTEN may be FULFILLED1 Peter 4:7 But the End of ALL THINGS is NIGH at Hand; therefore be serious and watchful in your prayers.!

#6 Adanac

Adanac

Omega

• On Vacation
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,886 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:11 PM

The Cheribim and the Seriphim are Arch Angels that cover and reside below the Throne of G-D. One hovers above, the other Hovers below. Both are guarding angels of G-D. They dont look anything like a human

In some contexts, yes they are angels. But they also represent the redeemed.
Housework has been a snap since I realized... "Hey! I'm a guy!".

#7 Martyn

Martyn

Sigma

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 08:55 AM

It also provides an interesting commentary about what went on in the Garden of Eden.

How do you mean?

Briefly ...

Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold:

Precious stones and riches in Eden.

the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.

Mention of creation of man.

thou wast upon the holy mountain of God

Topography of Eden (ie there was a mountain there). More in Ezek. 31 and 36 about the lushness and greenness of the Garden.

thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.

Walking with God in the cool of the day - the perfect fellowship that Adam and Eve experienced with God.

Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.

Fall of man.

thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God

Expulsion from Garden.

Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness

Temptation - 'the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the pride of life'.

Much of this can be found in Gen. 2 - but it's rather lovely to find the extra detail here as well.

#8 Asyncritus

Asyncritus

Chi

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 09:00 PM

Nice one, Mart :shrug:

Question is, why the links/ quasars?

Edited by Asyncritus, 02 July 2005 - 09:01 PM.

God, be merciful to me
The Sinner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users