#1 Milkman

Milkman

Iota

• Christadelphian
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 10:35 PM

Hello all,

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I often get influenced easily by opinions of others, and I feel this is relevant especially considering current world events.

Exodus 20:13 is Thou shalt not kill in the KJV and Thou shalt not murder in the NIV. This provides us with almost two different conotations of the verse. In the first case, we are told very clearly not to kill. But in the second case, it just deals with murder. Is then murder wrong, but killing in self-defense right?

Can anyone provide me with a Hebrew translation of the word kill/murder? What are you takes on this?

Thanks.

#2 Pilgrim

Pilgrim
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 11:21 AM

The following is a definition from Strongs concordance on the Hebrew word used in Ex20:13
"A primitive root; properly to dash in pieces, that is, kill (a human being), especially to murder: - put to death, kill, (man-) slay (-er), murder (-er)."

Weather you use the word murder or kill the person still ends up dead :topic:

It would seem to me to be against the law to put anybody to death for whatever reason, although it was allowed as a punishment for certain crimes or when God commanded the wicked to be destroyed.

#3 Evangelion

Evangelion

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,351 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 09:57 AM

Excellent response. :topic:

The footnote in the New English Translation says:
The verb jXr (rasah) refers to the premeditated or accidental taking of the life of another human being; it includes any unauthorized killing (it is used for the punishment of the murderer, and that would not be included here in the prohibition).

This commandment teaches the sanctity of all human life. See J. H. Yoder, “Exodus 20,13: ‘Thou Shalt Not Kill’,” Int 34 (1980): 394-99; and A. Phillips, “Another Look at Murder,” JJS 28 (1977): 105-26.

The use of the word is consistent throughout the OT. :cool:
In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas
Imago
Credo

#4 Matthew Hawkins

Matthew Hawkins

Pi

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 12:17 PM

It also teaches that we are not to hate another brother or sister in the the walk of the Truth. 1 John 3:15, which means if we do, we have no place in the kingdom. :blink:

If we hate a brother or siter in the truth, then we are commiting murder spiritually. By which we will face the Lord Jesus Christ at the judgement seat and will suffer the consequence of death ourselves. Matt 25:40 :)

Concerning anger and wrath with someone, we can be easily stirred into thinking active thoughts of doing something to them.
It is something which must be restrained by great force and much spiritual discipline.

If we come across someone in the world who is trying to do something to us violenty then the best solution is to get out of there as quickly as practicable.
Human for knowing what it is, will naturally want to stand and fight, but it will end up with some consequences for which doesn't do anyone any good.

Those who place their trust in the Creator and fear him with reverence and great respect with the fear of offending him, and try live by His principles, will be blessed and protected by a ministering angel. Psalm 34:7. "the angel of the LORD encamptheth round about them that fear him, and he delivereth them"

If we are concious of the angel who does always watch us, and who knows what our thoughts, actions, attitudes and motives are 24/7, then we tend to be a lot more careful in our walk, and learn a lot more in the Truth.

By this we become wise in dealing with such situations and learn to stay clear of such sparks of influence which do ignite such fires.

Make a lot more sense now?
Regards,
Matthew
1Cor 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

Sanctus, sanctus, sanctus,
Dominus Deus Sabaoth.
Pleni sunt coeli et terra gloria tua.

I am a Christadelphian. Click here to see my confession of faith.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users