9 replies to this topic

#1 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 10:55 AM

Note how Historicist expositors of Revelation - interpreting Revelation 11 - predicted accurately the French Revolution well over 100 years before it took place.See how they consistently identified the fall of 'the great city' in Revelation 11 as a revolution in France.

Date (AD)

Name

Fall Of The Tenth Part Of The City

John Cotton

Fall of France

Thomas Goodwin

Fall of France

Henry Moore

One of the 10 kingdoms falls

Thomas Beverly

Fall of France

Jacques Phillipot

French Revolution

Pierre Jurieu

French Revolution

Drue Cressener

Samuel Sewall

Fall of France

1700’s

Adam Clarke

French Revolution

Robert Fleming

Fall of France

Increase Mather

Fall of France

Charles Daubuz

French Revolution

De Bionens

Sayer Rudd

French Revoluion

John Willison

French Revolution

John Gill

French Revolution

Thomas Newton

French Revolution

David Imri

Fall of France

Aaron Burr

One of 10 European nations falls

Timothy Dwight

French Revolution

1789: Revolution Breaks Out In France

Joseph Lathrop

French Revolution

James Bicheno

French Revolution

Joseph Priestley

French Revolution

David Austin

French Revolution

William Linn

Fall of France

George Bell

French Revolution

Joshua Spalding

French Revolution

David Simpson

French Revolution

Edward King

French Revolution

Richard Valpy

French Revolution

Joseph Galloway

French Revolution

George Faber

French Revolution

William Burkitt

French Revolution

Alexander Keith

French Revolution

Albert Barnes

French Revolution

1800’s

Family NT Notes

French Revolution

Edward Elliott

French Revolution

Grattan Guinness

French Revolution

Samuel Garratt

Miserere mei Deus,
Secundum magnam misericordiam tuam.
Et secundum multitudinem miserationum tuarum
dele iniquitatem meam.

Wesley answered “Thank you, sir. Your letter was superfluous, however, as I already knew the Lord has no need for my ‘book-learning,’ as you put it. However—although the Lord has not directed me to say so—on my own responsibility I would like to say to you that the Lord does not need your ignorance, either.”

Osborne & Woodward, ‘Handbook for Bible study’, pp. 13-14 (1979)

#2 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 11:00 AM

1639: ThomasGoodwin:

By the tenth part of the city, I understand some one tenthpart of Europe. By earthquake here is meant a great concussion or shaking of states, politic,or ecclesiastical. By this earthquake'so falling out in a tenth part of the city, this tenth part of it is soshaken that it falls; that is, ceaseth to be a tenth part of the city,or to belong to its jurisdiction any longer. The effect of this earthquake, and fall of this tenth part of the city, iskilling seven thousand of the names of men. Now, by men of name, in scripture, is meant men of title, office anddignity; these having killed the witnesses, themselves are to be killed, bybeing bereft of their names and titles, which are to be rooted out forever.

The saints and churches of France, God has made a wonder unto me in all his proceedingstowards them, first and last; and there would seem some great and specialhonor reserved for them, yet, at the last; for it is certain that the firstlight of the gospel, by the first and second angel's preaching, in Rev.xiv.,which laid the foundation of Antichrist's ruin, was out from among them, namelythose of Lyons, and other places in France. And they bore and underwent the great heat of that morning of persecution, whichwas as great, if not greater, than any since. And so, as that kingdom had thefirst great stroke, so now it should have the honor of having the last greatstroke in the ruin of Rome

Goodwin, ‘An Explanation of the Book of Revelation’, 1639

Miserere mei Deus,
dele iniquitatem meam.

Wesley answered “Thank you, sir. Your letter was superfluous, however, as I already knew the Lord has no need for my ‘book-learning,’ as you put it. However—although the Lord has not directed me to say so—on my own responsibility I would like to say to you that the Lord does not need your ignorance, either.”

#3 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 11:01 AM

1663: Thomas Moore:

That an earthquake signifies political commotions and changeof affairs, is obvious to any one; but that the city here mentioned shouldbe understood not of a city of brick or stone, but a polity. For I conceive it is plain enough that this city is the very city mentionedin the eighth verse, which is called the great city, and this great city is thewhore of Babylon, and the whore of Babylon is nothing but the body of theidolatrous clergy in the empire, who appertain to the seventh or last headof the beast, which is an head of blasphemy , as well as the six first, that isto say, an idolatrous head.

As under the seventh head, that is become idolatrous andantichristian, and this number seven is multiplied into a thousand,it signifies a perfect nulling of all such offices and orders ofmen; for no men at all here are necessarily implied to be slain, butonly all antichristian OFFICES and FRATERNITIES to be dissolved andabrogated, and things to be reduced to the purity of the first four hundredyears.

For to slay by a diorismus, signifies nothing else but acausing a thing to cease to be. This, but little question, is the truemeaning of this place. And the tenthpart of the city will have a sense marvellously coincident therewith.’

Miserere mei Deus,
dele iniquitatem meam.

#4 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 11:02 AM

1687: Jacques Phillipott:

‘As the King of France did his utmost to enhance the glory ofPopery - it will be the King of France who will mostly contribute to herruinThe city here mentioned is Babylon - that is the Papal Empire, the Church ofRome, the Empire of the AntiChrist. France is one of the ten horns of the Beast, one of the ten Kingdomswhich would be formed according to Daniel out of the debris of the RomanEmpire… According to St. John, she would rise at the same time with the Beast… The French monarchy, like all the neighbouring states, was established upon theruins of the Roman Empire and grew at the same time as the Bishop of Rome… France is a place and a part of the City;that is, of the Papal Empire.’Jacques Phillipot, ‘Clarifications of St. John's Revelation’, 1687

Miserere mei Deus,
dele iniquitatem meam.

#5 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 11:03 AM

1710: Increase Mather:

Dr.Increase Mather, in his Exhortations to Faith and Fervency in Prayer, publishedin 1710, consideredthe wars and calamities which then prevailed, as a loud call to the church andthe nations to watch and be ready.… We are assured that when the sixth trumpet, called also the second woe, hasdone its work. the seventh trumpet, called the third woe, will comequickly. Now there is reason to hopethat the second woe is past, that is, that the Turk will be no more such aplague to the apostate Christian world as for ages past he has been.At the same time when the second woe passeth away there is to be a greatearthquake; in that earthquake, one of the ten kingdoms, over which antichristhas reigned, will fall.””There is," says he, p. 97, "a great earthquake among thenations. May the kingdom of France bethat tenth part of the city which shall fall! May we hear of a mighty revolution there! we shall then know that thekingdom of Christ is at hand."'Increase Mather, as cited by James Bicheno, ‘A Word In Season’, pages20-21, 1795

Miserere mei Deus,
dele iniquitatem meam.

#6 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 11:03 AM

1734: Sayer Rudd:

To the number of authors who have given it as theiropinion, that the fall of the tenth part of the city would be realized by arevolution in France, and whose sentiments are already stated in the ‘SignsOf The Times’, may be added the name of Sayer Rudd, M.D., who, A.D.1734, published ‘An Essay Towards A New Explication Of Doctrines Of TheResurrection, Millennium, &c.’.’

Sayer Rudd, as cited by James Bicheno, ‘Signs Of TheTimes’, Part Three, page 132, 1797

Miserere mei Deus,
dele iniquitatem meam.

#7 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 11:04 AM

1742: John Willison:

‘Before Antichrist's fall, one of the ten kingdoms which supportedthe beast shall undergo a marvelous revolution. Rev.xi.13: ‘And the samehour was there a great earthquake, and the tenth part of the city fell, and inthe earthquake were slain of men seven thousand: and the remnant wereaffrighted, and gave glory to the God of heaven;’ by which tenth part isto be understood one of the ten kingdoms into which the great city,Romish Babylon, was divided. This many take to be the kingdom of France, it being the tenth andlast of the kingdoms, according to the rise, and that which gave Rome thedenomination of the beast with ten horns, and also it being the only one of theten that was never conquered since its rise.

However unlikely this, and other prophesied events, may appear at the time,yet the almighty hand of the only wise God can soon bring them about when leastexpected.

Reverend John Willison, sermon, 1742

Miserere mei Deus,
dele iniquitatem meam.

#8 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 11:07 AM

1754: Thomas Newton:

‘Rome, therefore, will finally be destroyed by some of theprinces… As the Kings of France have contributed greatly to her advancement -it is not… improbable that some time or other they may also be the principleauthors of her destruction. France has already shown some tendency towards a reformation - and thereforemay appear more likely to effect such a revolution.’Bishop Thomas Newton, ‘Dissertations on the Prophecies’, volume II,page 380, 1748

Miserere mei Deus,
dele iniquitatem meam.

#9 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 11:08 AM

1794: Joseph Priestley:

And it appears to me highly probable, as Ihinted in my last discourse on this occasion, that the present disturbances in Europe are the beginningof those very calamitous times....

Itis enough for us to know the certainty of these great events, that our faithmay not fail on the approach of the predicted calamity, confident that it willhave the happiest issue in God's own time. For the same being who foretold theevil which we shall see come to pass, has likewise foretold the good that is tofollow it.That the second coming of Christ will be coincident with the millennium, ofthe future peaceable and happy state of the world (which, according to all theprophecies, will take place after the restoration of the Jews), is evidentfrom what Peter said, in his address to the Jews, on the occasion of hishealing the lame man at the gate of the temple (Acts 3.19)This great event of the late revolution in France appears to me, and manyothers, to be not improbably the accomplishment of the following part of theRevelation, chap. xi. 3: "And the same hour there was a great earthquake,and the tenth part of the city fell, and in the earthquake were slain of men(or literally, names of men) seven thousand, and the remnant wereaffrighted, and gave glory to God.”An earthquake, as I have observed, may signify a great convulsion, andrevolution, in states; and as the Papal dominions were divided into ten parts,one of which, and one of the principal of them, was France, it is properlycalled a tenth part of the city, or of the mystical Babylon. Andif by names of men, we understand their titles, such as those ofthe nobility, and other hereditary distinctions, all of which are nowabolished, the accomplishment of the prediction will appear to be wonderfullyexact....What could have been more unexpected than the events of any one of the lastfour years, at the beginning of it? What a total revolution in the ideas, andconduct of a whole nation! What a total subversion of principles, what reversesof fortune, and what a waste of life! In how bloody and eventful a war are weengaged, how inconsiderable in its beginning, how rapid and wide in itsprogress, and how dark with respect to its termination! At first it resembledElijah's cloud, appearing no bigger than a man's hand [1 Kings 18.44];but now it covers, and darkens, the whole European hemisphere!Joseph Priestley, ‘The Present State of Europe Compared with AntientProphecies; A Sermon, Preached at the Gravel Pit Meeting in Hackney, February28, 1794, Being the Day Appointed for a General Fast’, 1794

Miserere mei Deus,
dele iniquitatem meam.

#10 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 11:09 AM

1795: George Bell:

Then, logically coming to the predicted earthquake, which "signifiesa revolution," and France as the tenth part of the BabylonianCity-when "One of the ten kingdoms under the dominion of Rome wouldfall off, or revolt from her jurisdiction“ - he declares, "Have we not seen, inone of the ten kingdoms, a most astonishing revolution? Have we not also seenthat kingdom fall off of the papal jurisdiction?" Bell then concludes, saying, "Have we not goodground to hope that the accomplishment of the prophecies, respecting therising of the witnesses and the fall of antichrist, is near at hand?“George Bell, 1795, as cited by LeRoy Edwin Froom, ‘The Prophetic Faith Of Our Fathers’, volume II, page743,1948

Miserere mei Deus,
dele iniquitatem meam.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users