42 replies to this topic

#31 Hyperion

Hyperion

Sigma

• Christadelphian Armoury
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 01:24 PM

If the bible were truly inspired by an infallible omnipotent god, it would answer every question we could possibly ask of it and answer every argument used to discredit it.

Why?

There will always be questions we can ask that won't be within the scope of book (i.e. that are irrelevant).

As for discreditting arguments, no matter how detailed and clear a book is, there will always be people prepared reject it if it suits them.

"Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, among whom I am foremost of all." (1 Tim 1:15)
"Apply yourself wholly to the text; apply the text wholly to yourself" (Johann Albrecht Bengel)
Christadelphian Books Online | The Agora | Toronto West Christadelphians

#32 scitsofreaky

scitsofreaky

Nu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 07:44 AM

Isn't he capable of making His message clear and unargueable?
"There is not a truth existing which I fear, or which I would not want known to the whole world."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Without Faith, Reason is Cold... but without Reason Faith is Blind"-- David Pyle

#33 mordecai

mordecai

Pi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 10:41 AM

Of course but that is exactly why the bible is NOT from a real god. Real gods can't fail to educate people.

#34 mordecai

mordecai

Pi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 11:23 AM

If the bible were truly inspired by an infallible omnipotent god, it would answer every question we could possibly ask of it and answer every argument used to discredit it.

Why?

There will always be questions we can ask that won't be within the scope of book (i.e. that are irrelevant).

As for discreditting arguments, no matter how detailed and clear a book is, there will always be people prepared reject it if it suits them.

No one argues whether 2+2=4, if the bible had clear answers on questions of history it would be taught in schools and not relegated to the fringe groups of society like the Christadelphians. The fact that you have to gather into sectarian groups and have no higher authority or public accountability to the to actual _true_evidence_ of nature discredits the bible.

If god really existed he could put a satellite in orbit or had one of the angels record the entire creation on modern man-made technology that no one in his right mind could dispute, its like looking at photo's of the earth that the astronauts brought back or the videos of them on the moon. You'd be hard pressed to dispute a VISUAL record of history. The fact that the bible uses words of men no less, proves its not from god. Think of all the extra work and inefficiency brought by putting your message in a book that has to be copied via ancient technology or by human beings and you set yourself up for disaster. If thats the best you can expect a god to do about his own message, you know its not from god! Think about the half-witted, lazy, kind of god that is! It's absurd to assert that a true god would be capable of such ignorance as is found in the bible.

#35 scitsofreaky

scitsofreaky

Nu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 08:46 AM

My thoughts exactly.
"There is not a truth existing which I fear, or which I would not want known to the whole world."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Without Faith, Reason is Cold... but without Reason Faith is Blind"-- David Pyle

#36 EliYah

EliYah

Omicron

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 01:11 PM

One thing is clear to me from these discussions. I think that those who are pathetically trying to defend the Bible from charges of contradiction and inconsistency miss the point and spirit of Religion. If one should take the stance that they take (I mistakenly took it myself once), then you end up INTELLECTUALIZING RELIGION to the point where the word 'mystery' is an adaqueate description of the Bible and its message. If all incongruities must be explained by COMPLEX arguments and by adopting new innovations and wide ranges of suppositions and suggestions as to what it means, do you not see a problem?

Do you actually think that God Almighty wishes His truth only to be deciphered by an elite intellectual minority of scholars who have a dozen letters after their name, and all those so-called Christians who blindly accept what they teach hook line and sinker? God forbid! Is not the truth of God simple, is it not accessible to mankind? The Bible cannot be the exclusive and true revelation of God, since it is NOT SIMPLE, NOR ACCESSIBLE. If you should point out the large number of people who claim to put their faith in it - here is an answer: most of them are ignorant. Most of them do not know their Bible. How sad!

#37 Evangelion

Evangelion

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,351 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 02:18 PM

Do you actually think that God Almighty wishes His truth only to be deciphered by an elite intellectual minority of scholars who have a dozen letters after their name, and all those so-called Christians who blindly accept what they teach hook line and sinker? God forbid!

No, not at all. I vigorously reject any such suggestion.

But I do expect God's revelation to be true and consistent.

Is not the truth of God simple, is it not accessible to mankind?

It is both. :coffee:
In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas
Imago
Credo

#38 Guest_scooter_*

Guest_scooter_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2005 - 03:04 PM

In Hebrew, there are four ways and means of interpertation, All four Gospels are from one of these ways and each have a different version of it.

#39 Mercia2

Mercia2

Chi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,442 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 03:09 PM

Of course but that is exactly why the bible is NOT from a real god. Real gods can't fail to educate people.

Its a test Mordecai, a test you are currently failing. You have enough information, but you are not to be given too much or the test cannot work can it.
Ask for the Holy Spirit (Luke 11:13), it is the gift of God. Then you will have no doubts.
"and will smite every HORSE OF THE PEOPLE with blindness"

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_symbolic_meaning_of_a_horse#ixzz1K0LLUt00

#40 Guest_scooter_*

Guest_scooter_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2005 - 10:40 PM

This misunderstanding about why these two gospels dont seem to agree is simple if you know the Hebrew levels of interpertation. Mat;is the Drosh or search level, Mark is the Peshat or literal level, Luke is the Remez or hint level and John is the Sod, or Kabbalah level, [mystery]. All of the gospel are in different levels.

#41 Adanac

Adanac

Omega

• On Vacation
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,886 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 11:27 PM

This misunderstanding about why these two gospels dont seem to agree is simple if you know the Hebrew levels of interpertation. Mat;is the Drosh or search level, Mark is the Peshat or literal level, Luke is the Remez or hint level and John is the Sod, or Kabbalah level, [mystery]. All of the gospel are in different levels.

You’ll have to explain that slowly Scooter. Never heard of it before.
Housework has been a snap since I realized... "Hey! I'm a guy!".

#42 Guest_scooter_*

Guest_scooter_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2005 - 11:35 PM

Its not so hard, all the books of the Bible are written in one of these levels, including the new testament. Jewish knowledge has more that one way or thought. They look at the Bible/Tanach with a more discerning eye than we do.. But as I said, if you, or no one knows this, you can get the wrong idea from what you read. Despite the nay sayers, The Jews are the keepers of the Bible and have always been so. They do understand it quite well. As I have also said, the only thing they are remiss about is Yeshua and his mission, other than that, thet have it right.

#43 Guest_scooter_*

Guest_scooter_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2005 - 02:17 AM

Actually, the Bible dosent have Inconsistency, It is us that get the idea that it does.. Everything in the new testament is also in the old. To be frank, the new wasnt around when Yeshua was here, everything he said can be traced to the old. And all of the Gospels also have roots there. The exception being that it was written about the life of Yeshua but still is written in one of the levels mentioned.

Edited by scooter, 15 January 2005 - 02:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users