27 replies to this topic

#1 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 8,115 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:46 PM

01 August 2015

"In what has become known as the Olivet prophecy, Jesus answered these two questions. In these years we have naturally made use of it as evidence of the nearness of our Lord's return. Such emphasis may tend to divert us from its more urgent personal message. Jesus set forth conditions attending the end of both the Jewish and the Gentile dispensations, but the greater part of his words is devoted to the hearts and minds of the disciples. For them it is full of warning and encouragement. Jesus confessed that neither he nor the angels knew the exact time or season of his return. In a sense it was not an important question. Many children of the Kingdom would live and die outside its orbit. Our lives must not be absorbed with speculation but with preparation."

- Melva Purkis
A Life of Jesus

#2 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 8,115 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:46 AM

02 August 2015

"The rules for Christ's followers embrace all aspects of life: the mutual relationships of husband and wife; of master and servant; of fathers and children (Ephesians 5:24-6:9). The duty of love to fellow man is the one unsettled debt: but the love of neighbour springs out of the love of God which is begotten in response to God's love in Christ (Romans 13:8)."

- John Carter
God's Way

#3 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 8,115 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:34 PM

03 August 2015

"As the Lord liveth, and as my Lord the king liveth, surely in what place my Lord the king shall be, whether in death or life, even there also will thy servant be" (2 Samuel 15:21).

"There is Ruth-like quality in this asseveration and there is almost an echo of it in the words of Jesus when he says: "Where I am, there shall also my servant be" (John 12:26). For all of us, in our coming to Christ, the words of David have a special relevance: "Thou art a stranger and also an exile: whereas thou camest but yesterday ..." Sure we were, outside the commonwealth of Israel, having no hope and without God in the world. And we heard the call of the King. Our hearts took fast hold of the things concerning him and the kingdom, and we forsook our former allegiance. So now, "in death or life," in "what place my Lord the king shall be" we follow, that in the end we might be with him for ever."

- Harry Tennant
The Man David

#4 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 8,115 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:14 PM

04 August 2015

"God’s revelation must define our Faith, and nowhere is that better explained and demonstrated for us than in what is described and demonstrated in the life, and works, and words of our Redeemer—superlative guidance for these last days. In Jesus were manifested all the attributes and characteristics revealed in word to Moses: “merciful, gracious, longsuffering and abundant in goodness and truth” (Exodus 34:6)."

- D.G. Dudding
Heir of All Things (1997)

#5 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 8,115 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:29 AM

05 August 2015 

"In the True Vine there are natural branches, but many branches are engrafted ones. Grafting implies an agency apart from the vine itself, the work of the husbandman, and it is the Divine Husbandman who has engrafted us into Christ. This grafting is done for the very same purpose as that for which the gardener grafts his plants. It is done to produce fruit and more fruit ... If we abide in his love by keeping his commandments, we shall indeed be fruitful boughs and our joy ultimately fulfilled."

- W.A. McLennan
The Vine and the Branches (1943)

#6 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 8,115 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:14 PM

06 August 2015 

"The Truth as we have it today, this Pearl of Great Price, is distinguished from all others by certain unique features. Few others, if any at all, have the pungent basic truth of man’s mortality. None besides ourselves (let it be recognized in all humility and thankfulness) know the nature of Christ and of his sacrifice as do we. And none have the appreciation of the superb grandeur and magnificent scope of the Promises to the Fathers, all of them centring in Christ, which is possible amongst ourselves."

- H.A. Whittaker
Enlightening the Eyes (1951)

#7 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 8,115 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:10 AM

07 August 2015

"One of the principles that God requires is “that no flesh should glory in his presence”, and “I will be sanctified in those that approach unto me”. The Lord Jesus sets the example: “Learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.” When we consider the greatness of God and of His Son (and our littleness), that of itself should generate within us the lowliness of mind which God requires. Before Nebuchadnezzar would accept and practise this principle, a seven year period of the basest humiliation was required. Then he was prepared to recognise and practise what God required of him, now knowing that “those that walk in pride he is able to abase” (Daniel 4:37)." 

- James Carter
In Honour Preferring One Another (1977)

#8 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 8,115 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:11 AM

08 August 2015

"When the light shone into the darkness of the world, mortal man was given the opportunity of life: when the word was made flesh the true light of God shone through the Lord Jesus Christ, he was sent to be “the light of the world” and in him “the true light now shineth” (1 John 2:8). “If we walk in the light as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his son cleanseth us from all sin” (1 John 1:6, 7). God has delivered our souls from death and it is He who keeps our feet from falling."

- Cyril Tennant
Study in the Psalms (1988)

#9 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 8,115 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 11:40 AM

09 August 2015

"The fact is we can only give God our hearts. We can exercise our volition just in so far as He has made us free, and endeavour to serve Him by responding to that invitation which is given to whosoever will. All faithful work performed as in His sight is simply an index of this gift of our hearts. No human achievement can be so great as to be of any benefit to Him, yet no faithful work can be so insignificant as to be overlooked. Wherefore let us remember our task in life is here, ready to our hands every day, and we can find preparation in all things."

- Islip Collyer
Conviction and Conduct

#10 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 8,115 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:26 AM

10 August 2015

"We are to follow Jesus. In every age, come what may, our calling is to accept his example, to follow his steps. It may lead us, as it did Peter, to adversity and affliction. It may require of us, as it did of John, faithful and loyal service over many years. But the outcome will not be related to their experience, but to that of their Lord, who is ours also. If we follow him now, we shall also walk with him in the age to come."

"Beloved, we are God’s children now; it does not yet appear what we shall be, but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is" (1 John 3:2).

- Tecwyn Morgan
Final Appearances (1991)

#11 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 8,115 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:14 AM

11 August 2015 

"Let the peace of God rule in your hearts" (Colossians 3:15). Christ unseen but ever near is among us, "the same yesterday, today, and for ever". This is the time of our visitation, and "the things that belong to our peace" are within our reach. "The work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance forever" (Isaiah 32:17)."

- Claud Lamb
The Time of Visitation (1985)

#12 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 8,115 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:03 PM

12 August 2015

"Who shall abide the day of his coming?" That is the question. And the answer? "They that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name" (Malachi 3:16). When this spirit is manifest our services will be a joy and we shall feel at least in spirit that the Lord has come to His temple." 

- Ivor Evans
Malachi’s Message Then and Now (1961)

#13 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 8,115 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:11 AM

13 August 2015 

"We have not heard the voice even of Jesus by our ears, but we have the record of his life, of his works and of his words given to us by men in whom was fulfilled the promise of Jesus that the Spirit would call all things to their remembrance and would guide them into all truth. In the light of this we accept the apostolic testimony concerning Jesus without hesitation or question, and so we come to know what Jesus said and taught.

We also recognize the authority of the Apostles in their epistles and believe that what they wrote has the authority that belongs to the Word of God. Jesus said that men who heard them were hearing himself. "He that hears you hears me."

- John Carter
Taught of God (1946)

#14 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 8,115 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:54 AM

14 August 2015 

"Are we going to answer that knock and open the door? It is the Lord, the Son of the Almighty, the Lord of Glory, who knocks and he means all he says in these letters to the churches, in his promises to those who strive to overcome, and who hope to sit down with him in his throne, even as he overcame and is sat down with his Father in his throne."

- James Carter
I Stand at the Door and Knock (1976)

#15 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 8,115 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:32 AM

15 August 2015

"Peace with God", to be of any value, must be peace from Him towards us rather than peace in our own hearts that may not be reciprocated by Him. A man may think well of his own case when God thinks otherwise. As the Scriptures say, "There is a way that seems right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death". The only peace of final value is the peace that God feels towards those with whom He is well pleased. He has made known how we can please Him; and it is for us to conform to what He has required, whatever men may think, or whatever we ourselves may feel."

- Robert Roberts
Sunday Morning (1893)

#16 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 8,115 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 06:42 AM

16 August 2015

"What a wonderful thing the calling can prove to be! At the beginning it may be convulsive or placid. It matters not, because at the heart of it there is peace. There may be earthquakes but when the dust is settled there is tranquillity. All good is found in it. Thank God you have received it. Many never do. Some come within touch of it who never lay hold. Sadly some will perish in spite of it. Let go everything; surrender everything; forsake everything that you may grasp it for ever."

- Dennis Gillett
The Genius of Discipleship

#17 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 8,115 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:59 AM

17 August 2015    

"... The people of God are always tempted by the idols of their day. And the idols of their day are always "sensible" things. It is very easy to find excuses to justify our weaknesses. In this too we may be conforming to the timeless human pattern. Let us not despise the Lord’s warning! Do we really want a place in God’s Kingdom? Are we more interested in the things of this life than the Kingdom of God? Our destiny may depend upon the answer to this question. "Little children, keep yourselves from idols."

- Peter Watkins
Keep from Idols (1980)

#18 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 8,115 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:16 AM

18 August 2015

"Accepting our cross when we have been promised a crown is our difficulty. Jesus accepted the cross. He never grumbled. His ambition was to submit to His Father’s will. He accepted that others were weak, and offered his strength over sin to save them. Every problem became an opportunity. The lost meals, the wearisome journey, the lack of his own bed were freedom for the Lord’s work. He accepted that finally he would be alone in his crisis and the cup could not be removed. He accepted all this for us!"

- Philip Vyse
Practical Living (1990) 

#19 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 8,115 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 02:51 AM

19 August 2015

"Faith brings us to confrontation with the issue of goodness. “No-one is good—except God alone”, said the man who had never sinned! Goodness is the essence of God Himself. From God alone is derived the understanding to discern between good and evil. Our choice is not experimentation between good and evil, as our first parents mistakenly believed. Obedience to God is the only way. The faith of Jesus kept him from sin. Our faith in the example of Jesus enables our sins to be forgiven."

- Philip Vyse
A Lesson in Growth (1996)

#20 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 8,115 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:51 AM

20 August 2015

"Nothing could be more dead than the Cross, both in its nature and in its normal, shameful meaning. Yet when we are proferred the Tree of Life we are compelled, by the very word chosen to define it, to learn again that our life springs out of death. He that overcometh will be granted to eat of the tree of life, even as the Lord himself overcame as he hung on the tree of shame.

So: all we have to do (I and you, if I may very humbly put myself first in this exhortation) is to shun the stalking of the ungodly, the stance of sinners, and the seat of the scornful, and take up the tree and follow him, and the tree of life shall be ours."

- Alfred Norris
Jottings on the Readings (1966)

#21 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 8,115 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:17 AM

21 August 2015

"The Gospels reveal the Lord Jesus as a Master of careful reasoning, gently chiding his muddled disciples at one moment, rebuking the foolish leaders of the people at another. His teaching was profound yet straightforward. The truth makes abundant sense to all who will receive it in simplicity and without sophistication. Men and women only stumble at the Gospel when they are not prepared to accept it with childlike humility."

- John Morris
To Seek Out Wisdom, and the Reason of Things (1989)

#22 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 8,115 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:06 AM

22 August 2015 

"... In the actual turmoil of the busy day or the wakefulness of the long night, they meditated, in the sense of allowing their words and works to be disciplined by what they had learned of God: they meditated on these things and gave themselves wholly unto them (1 Timothy 4:15). So they could say, and mean,

“O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day” (Psalm 119:97).

“And my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips: when I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches” (Psalm 63:6).

To approach God’s law and read His word in this spirit brings understanding indeed: to make His testimonies our meditation is to study indeed, perhaps even to give us more understanding than our teachers (Psalm 119:99). Such study makes us “approved unto God”, for our thoughts, though our own, will be illuminated with the mind of God.

“Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer” (Psalm 19:14)."

- Alfred Nicholls
My Meditation of Him Shall Be Sweet (1974)

#23 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 8,115 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 02:08 AM

23 August 2015     

"Man is by nature a forgetful creature. "Can a maid forget her ornaments, or a bride her attire? yet my people have forgotten me days without number" (Jeremiah 2:32). "And forgot his works, and his wonders that he had showed them." (Psalm 78:11). But the character of God is so very different. "When I consider your heavens ... What is man, that you are mindful of him?" (Psalm 8:3-4). Yes, indeed, the Lord is mindful of his children, and so "You that fear the LORD, trust in the LORD ... has been mindful of us: he will bless us" (Psalm 115:11-12). The thief on the cross was fully prepared to leave himself and his case to his good companion on the cross in those fateful words, "Lord, remember me ..."

- S. Field
The Names of All the Saints (1961)

#24 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 8,115 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:34 AM

24 August 2015

"There is a very real danger lest believers are tempted to join with the scoffers who say, "Where is the promise of his coming?" Both Jesus and his apostles warned believers not to be caught unawares by the thief-like advent of our Lord, when he comes at an unexpected time to a world unprepared. Meanwhile, the appeal of the Gospel is still reaching those whom the Father is calling. In His patience, He is giving time for men and women to confess their need for redemption from death. God’s patience is evidence of His love and compassion for man, in spite of man’s reluctance to respond. When He finally intervenes by sending Jesus Christ in power and glory, it will not be because His patience has run out, but because in no other way can the earth be filled with the glory of the Creator (Numbers 14:21)."

- John V. Collyer
The Patience of the Almighty (1994)

#25 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 8,115 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:00 AM

25 August 2015

"The word of God is a critic, discerner, or judge of human thoughts and ways (Hebrews 4:12). Its record reveals men as God sees them, without any veiling; all things are naked and open to Him. But the word of God also reveals God’s thoughts which are heavens higher than our thoughts, and in these two facts we find two aspects of instruction. To see ourselves for what we really are, and to know what we should be, provide the conditions for progress Godward."

- John Carter
Searchings of Heart (1954)

#26 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 8,115 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:56 PM

26 August 2015                

"The Bible is a living statement of divine principles and we see in its pages the basic human situations, which are timeless, and how God views them and the people involved in them. Reading the Bible, we are like David listening to Nathan telling his story of the rich man who stole the "little ewe lamb" of his poor neighbour. We can see how God views sin, through the experiences of others. We can join with David in condemning them and feel quite superior in the process—until the voice of Scripture declares, like Nathan to David, "You are the man". Everywhere in the Bible we are reading our own story, through the lives of other men in other days, and God is showing us in them what is His mind and will. If we may paraphrase the famous words of the poet John Donne: "Never send to ask of whom the prophet speaks: he speaks of thee."

- L.W. Richardson
The Importance of Right Attitudes (1970)

#27 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 8,115 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:33 PM

27 August 2015 

“Whoever offers praise glorifies me: and to him that orders his conversation aright will I show the salvation of God.” (Psalm 50:23)

"I laid the foundations of the earth? ... Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof; when the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?” (Job 38:47). At the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ the angels sang, “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, goodwill toward men” (Luke 2:14). The theme continues through to Revelation where John records, “I heard a great voice of much people in heaven, saying, Alleluia, salvation, and glory, and honour, and praise, and power, unto the Lord our God” (Revelation 19:12). It is good to think that our voices will joined with those who sing to God’s praise in that glorious day, by His grace."

- A.D. Nightingale
Lift up to God the Voice of Praise (1999)

#28 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 8,115 posts

Posted Today, 09:42 AM

28 August 2015

"It was Jesus who engaged his heart, who pledged himself, to God; and his perfect obedience made it possible for God to say to all who can draw near to him in Christ, "You shall be my people, and I will be your God". These are the true children of Israel, a people near to Him."

- Spencer L. Hale
A People Near to God (1977)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users