21 replies to this topic

#1 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 02:25 AM

01 May 2015

"All things are of God, and we are told how He created them; in fact Psalm 8 tells that the heavens are "the work of his fingers". It is doubtful if we fully understand this, though it gives an idea of how things came into existence. But not only has God created, He has revealed Himself. This process of revelation is wonderful, because later God worked through "holy men of God (who) spake as they were moved by the Holy Spirit" (2 Peter 1:21). They have passed off the scene, but what they wrote remains; and it is this which is so important, for it is the deposit, that which endures, the written word, which is able to make us "wise unto salvation."

- Arthur Sheppard
"An Offender for a Word" (1985)

#2 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 05:27 AM

02 May 2015

"Do not draw a wrong conclusion. It does not mean that we cannot have joy unless we have suffering. That is false; but it does mean that when suffering comes, joy can remain and be intensified. The King once said to his own: "Your sorrow shall be turned into joy." It is not simply that one condition is exchanged for another, but that the very sorrow itself in some way has a background of joy. Of the suffering Saviour it was written: "Who for the joy set before him endured the cross, despising the shame." We should be wrong to think that his joy was postponed to the resurrection day. As he bent his will to the agony of the cross and the confrontation with Sin, we can believe that there was joy in the realisation that he was defeating iniquity and redeeming men from death and corruption. He was able to despise the shame because in the moment of its worst assault he had a consciousness of the final and ultimate joy of salvation."

- Dennis Gillett
The Genius of Discipleship

#3 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:28 PM

03 May 2015 

"Christ was perfect, and his perfection showed itself in his discourses. The nearer the source, the purer the water flows: the words Jesus spoke were wholesome words from his Father (John spoke were wholesome words from his Father (John 14:24)). The Saviour’s words in reference to conduct and character are striking. He is careful to put considerable emphasis on that which is within rather than that which is without. He draws attention away from what a person looks like, or what he has, or what he says, to what he is and what he can become. He distinguishes between the head and the heart ..."

- Claud Lamb
Wholesome Words (1991)

#4 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:14 PM

04 May 2015

"Jesus paused when he reached the Custom House, his shadow fell athwart Matthew’s desk. Looking up, Matthew met eyes of ineffable love which conveyed to him the message even before the lips could utter the words “Follow me”. And the man who during long years had become hardened to angry words and bitter looks left the parchments and the money chest in the roadside cabin to become first a disciple and then an apostle. The official who for so long had added to men’s burdens was about to enter into the intimate service of him whose life’s work was to remove them."

- Melva Purkis
A Life of Jesus

#5 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:51 AM

05 May 2015 

"Abba, Father, all things are possible to you; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what you will." (Mark 14:36).

Christ’s Yes to the will of God meant No to his request for the cup to pass. God’s No to the petition of His Son meant Yes to our hope of life everlasting. When God says No to us, He seeks our Yes to His holy will. The ultimate joy will be ours, if we too can pray:

"Abba, Father ... nevertheless not what I will, but what you will."

- Harry Tennant
Accepting Bitter Disappointments in Prayer (1982)

#6 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:23 AM

06 May 2015

"The "pride of life" is the most subtle deception of the present day: we are brainwashed from our childhood with slogans such as "Fulfil yourself!", "Broaden your mind!", "Find a job that will stretch you!", "Be with it!", "Do your own thing! These are the enticements to get for self the greatest possible gratification and fulfilment. Our ambition will be rather to obey, to seek not our own but another’s good, and to do all to God’s glory. Whatever our hand finds to do we should certainly do it with our might, but as unto the Lord. Our highest ambition is to be like Christ."

- John Morris
The Wisdom of This World (1979)

#7 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:24 AM

07 May 2015 

"Success in battle brings recognition and honours; the soldier who succeeds is decorated. So also is the soldier of Christ, but not with medals and ribbons. Paul finished his battle, and won his fight, and he knew that the day would come when his helmet would be removed and replaced by the victor’s crown, the hope of salvation giving place to salvation realised, a crown of righteousness. This is the hope of all who take the whole armour of God:

“I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day; and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing” (2 Timothy 4:7-8)."

- Philip Hinde
The Whole Armour of God (1976)

#8 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 04:40 AM

08 May 2015

"It is God’s amazing grace exemplified in His self-revelation to us that enables us to understand that it is His spirit that charges or animates all things, for: "In God we live and move and have our being" (Acts 17:28). And because this is so He must know the situation and function of every atom (and its elements) that go to the making up of a star, planet or any human being.

Therefore, what Jesus said on one occasion makes sense to us today, whether we be scientist or layman: "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground without your Father’s will. But even the hairs of your head are all numbered” (Matthew 10:29-30)."

- John Marshall
The Diversity of His Revelation (1979)

#9 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:02 AM

09 May 2015

"Remember these words: "The harder it is to live this life, the harder I lean on God. And the harder I lean on God, the stronger I find Him to be". God always strengthens us through His written word. Guided by that word, our obedience and fruit of the spirit can grow in thankfulness for the enormous relief of God’s forgiveness and in the trust that He acts from love in all things."

- "Abigail"
Estranged from God? (2000)

#10 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:49 AM

10 May 2015

"... There is no more penetrating discernment than a mother’s love, and that discernment was increased a hundredfold by the things which she had hid in her heart. Watching her son returning down the hillside, the glow of the Father’s presence still reflected in the light of his eyes and in the assurance of his voice, Mary would feel again the thrill of Gabriel’s approach and hear once more his vibrant words proclaiming her son the long awaited Messiah of Israel. This quiet but powerful development went on as the years passed, "and the child grew and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him ..."

- Melva Purkis
A Life of Jesus

#11 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:27 PM

11 May 2015

"God’s purpose for us is that we might be conformed to the image of His Son, that we might be like Jesus. Our heavenly Father spares no pains to bring that purpose to final fruition (John 3:23). The circumstances of life may be likened to the fashioning of the human clay on the potter’s wheel (Isaiah 64:8). The disciplines of life may be compared with the firing in the oven. We are reassuringly promised that those who endure their fiery trials will inherit everything: “He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son” (Revelation 21:7)."

- Claud Lamb
Finishing Touches (1983)

#12 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:23 PM

12 May 2015

"There is a popular impression abroad to the effect that if there is a God, He is kind without discrimination. That He is good to all is true, as Jesus says: sending His rain on the just and the unjust. But this does not mean that He takes equal pleasure in all. Far from it. "The LORD takes pleasure in them that fear him, in those that hope in his mercy." (Psalm 147:11)"

- Robert Roberts
Sunday Morning (1891)

#13 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:33 AM

13 May 2015

"Our world no longer sees the authentic signs. But it has the Word of God, more accessible and abundant as the years have passed, and now available not solely in the ancient tongues of Hebrew, Greek and Latin, but in the native speech of almost every nation under the sun. The nature of God, His holiness, mercy and grace, and the truth about the nature of frail and fallible man are there revealed for all to read. This widespread witness of the Word of God is a source of light in a dark world—too often extinguished by the prejudices and the self-indulgence of the human mind, yet still effective for those who see that such precious truths cannot originate in man, but must come from God."

- Fred Pearce
The Divine Judgements Upon the Nations (1993)

#14 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:14 PM

14 May 2015

"What a matter of Divine will and control in the past, present and future is this great salvation to which we have been called, as Peter testifies in 1 Peter 1:10-12 and James in James 1:12! How careful the Apostles were to give God the glory, and to vindicate the claims of Jesus of Nazareth—the title scornfully conferred upon him by his enemies, which his followers exalted to its true altitude as the one in which they did their works of healing, the only name given under heaven among men whereby they may be saved; and finally, the name as determined by God to which every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess."

- J.W. Dorricott
The Acts of the Apostles (1943)

#15 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 12:16 PM

15 May 2015

"Let us face the challenges of this life in the faith that they are meant to be stepping-stones not stumbling blocks, milestones and not millstones. We can escape useless fretting, and our lives will be braver and happier, if we are unshakeably confident that all things must work together for good to those who love God, "to them who are the called according to this purpose" (Romans 8:28)."

- Claud Lamb
Fret Not Thyself (1993) 

#16 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:07 AM

16 May 2015

"... the true disciple of every age sits at the feet of his Lord and learns the manner of man he would have him become. His progress becomes a triumph not of words but of works. The world sweeps by him largely unconcerned, but when it does take heed it is disturbed and it persecutes. But there are always hearts waiting to be touched by the appeal of a Christ-like spirit. So the great work goes on. More powerful than the perplexities of life and the subtleties of the flesh the disciple hears the voice of his Saviour, "Lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world". (Matthew 28:20)"

- Melva Purkis
A Life of Jesus

#17 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:32 AM

17 May 2015

"The believer’s fellowship is both inclusive and exclusive. He does not choose his companions in the fellowship; they are chosen by the very process which brought him into a relationship with God. There can be no artificial barriers of sex, colour, race, class or caste. All who hold the same faith in truth and submit to its discipline by baptism share a common heritage. They are members of the commonwealth of Israel and have a common hope."

- Harry Tennant
What the Bible Teaches

#18 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:34 PM

18 May 2015

"The treasures of the Bible remain hidden unless we open the book for ourselves, with that kind of anticipation suggested by Psalm 119:131: "I opened my mouth and panted: for I longed for your commandments." Then the Psalmist’s reaction will also be ours: "How sweet are your words unto my taste ...” (Psalm 119:103)."

- Alfred Nicholls
Take a Marginal Note (1994)

#19 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:04 AM

19 May 2015

"The victory of faith requires that faith be kept well in the battle, otherwise the victory will be the wrong way. Faith will fall under the trampling feet of this life’s affairs. The battle is one between what we see and what we cannot see, yet may know to be true—between what we like and what we may not like, but know to be what God requires at our hands. How can we win in such a battle unless we have a strong sense of the reality of Christ?"

- Robert Roberts
Sunday Morning (1895)

#20 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:47 PM

20 May 2015 

"Man cannot walk in his own strength: he has to learn to recognise his insufficiency and acknowledge the might of His Creator. That might, that strength, is emphasised throughout Scripture, and appears in an amazing variety of expressions ... "I will love you, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower ... For who is God save the LORD? or who is a rock save our God? It is God that girds me with strength ... You have also given me the shield of your salvation: and your right hand has held me up, and your gentleness has made me great." (Psalm 18:1,2,31-35)."

- John Morris
The God of Truth (1994)

#21 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,914 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:53 PM

21 May 2015

"... Jesus, the shepherd who came to Israel to water the flock, while the unfaithful shepherds looked on and fed themselves. And when they beheld him, they failed to recognize him. They said: "Is not this the carpenter’s son? and they were offended in him". Even so, he was the Son of God. "... For had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory" (1 Corinthians 2:8)."

- W. Willey
At the Well (1961)

#22 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,914 posts

Posted Today, 09:00 AM

22 May 2015

" ... Christ’s death and resurrection remind us that the way into the holiest of all is made manifest, the grave has been unsealed, and shortly we shall behold that "door opened in heaven". For the way of the tree of life has been kept from the beginning, that he that overcometh may enter in and partake of its fruit. Let us resolve to open the one door which it is in our power to keep closed. "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hears my voice, and opens the door, I will come in to him, and will eat with him, and he with me. To him that overcomes will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and sat down with my Father in his throne." (Revelation 3:20-21)"

- Alfred Nicholls
An Open Door (1970)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users