22 replies to this topic

#1 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:20 PM

1 April 2014

"The fruit of the Spirit is love–and if you can receive it, these (the qualities listed in Galatians 5:22) are the flavours, textures, colours: different and detectable but all part of the one fruit. Remember one thing: fruit is not magic. It does not appear overnight: growth is real but slow. Protection and cultivation are vital. Setbacks there will be. Waiting and working are not always contradictory. Let us never lose heart. It is, after all, the fruit of the Spirit. Fruit is God-created, not man-made."

- Dennis Gillett
The Genius of Discipleship

#2 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:20 PM

02 April 2014

"Truly the Word of the Lord is precious in these days when there is no open vision. In times of distress, doubt and perplexity, where can we go but to that Word of God? Let us make this word as precious as it ought to be, and acquire the mind of the Psalmist, who said that "Thy word have I hid in mine heart," with the thought that is enshrined over and over again in every verse of Psalm 119., where the law, testimonies, commandments, judgments and word of the Lord are referred to in so many different ways. Perhaps it is never better summed up than in that expression, "Thy word have I hid in mine heart." May that be its place!"

- W. H. Boulton
The Precious Word (1926)

#3 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:32 AM

03 April 2014

"We must remember the holiness of God and try to rise to the perfection that He demands ... Christ has given us perfect example and precept and he has laid down the principles of the coming judgments. We shall be known by our fruits. We must not only believe and obey the Gospel but we must bring forth the fruits of the spirit. And those fruits are love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance. By such fruit will the friends of Christ be known."

- Islip Collyer
Our Lord and Master (1926)

#4 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:25 AM

04 April 2014

"Paul had a very searching word for the Jew in his day: “The name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you”. They had a high calling—the chosen people of God. They were watched. We have inherited that high and holy calling. We are watched. But another one has declared: “I know thy works”. But here it is Christ risen and ascended to heaven who speaks, and his knowledge of us goes further than outward observation. He sees all. He knows our hearts. Nothing is hidden. It is a solemn thought. Let us take warning, but let us take comfort from the knowledge that while he sees our failings he also sees our repentance and our strivings. He will be our Judge—a merciful Judge."

- H. Hewett
The Jew First, and Also the Gentile (1952)

#5 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:24 AM

05 April 2014

"Fight the good fight, avoid profane and vain babblings, and knowledge falsely so called. Some have followed these babblings and assumptions of knowledge and have lost their faith. Knowledge is good if directed by wisdom, and is a good weapon when used aright, but knowledge falsely so called is a weapon that turns upon its wielder. The wisdom that is from above guides in the choice of weapons in this good warfare, and faith is one of them particularly singled out for praise. Without it there can be no good fight, for it is the fight of faith. "Without faith it is impossible to please God." (Hebrews 11:10)"

- C.A. Ladson
The Good Fight (1931)

#6 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:00 AM

06 April 2014 

"The words of Jesus are like a pocket compass which will never fail to give us our bearings. "And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise" (Luke 5:31). His words convey the general law. If the teacher shows the pupil how to work out each sum, he will never make him proficient in arithmetic. He gives the learner the principle and lets him work it out in separate examples for himself."

- Claud Lamb
Wholesome Words (1991)

#7 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:00 AM

07 April 2014

"The word of God is truth, and if it be strong and lively within us, our faith will take us through this life to the blessed things that we hope for. Do not let us leave the Word of God as words in a book. A sword is not a quiet, passive, immobile thing; it is an instrument of action. Let us then take this sword, and translate it into action, bring it to the attention of the world, and to the full attention of our own minds."

- W. Bury
The Risen Christ (1959)

#8 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:36 AM

08 April 2014

"The guiding hand shall not forever guide from a distance. Daniel’s survey of world empires ... did not stop short at four great dominions and a subsequent partition. There was a fifth to come, and it should display the might of God which we have now seen shall speak from Zion. “In the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom which shall never be destroyed. And the kingdom shall not be left unto other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever.” (Daniel 2:44) What was very near in suffering when Jesus came the first time, shall be terribly near in glory when He shall return."

- A.D. Norris
Believing the Bible

#9 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:22 AM

09 April 2014

"Spiritual life is not bound to the wheel of our natural life, even though it passes through phases of development. There is something of the eternal about the qualities of character produced in a godly man, qualities which remain fruitful whilst his faculties remain. Simeon in the temple nursing a babe of a few weeks is like life in the truth. Throughout our days we nurse spring within us, the vibrant promise of life to come, the undying hope which sustains our mortal spirit. Fullness of summer and the abundance of harvest are found in the satisfying plenitude of life in Christ."

- H. Tennant
The Man David

#10 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:15 AM

10 April 2014

"The supremacy of God means the well-being of men. There can be no peace on earth till there is glory to God in the highest. The highest well-being of man is in the holiest service of God. This is the case even now: how much more evident will it be when godly men are men made immortal? God is the fountain of all power, life and faculty. He exists of Himself and by Himself from eternity."

- Robert Roberts
Exhort One Another

#11 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:27 AM

11 April 2014

"The first Adam lost Paradise through disobedience; the second Adam regains it through righteousness. For him "the desert shall blossom as the rose," and his land become "an eternal excellency, a joy of many generations." "The King in his beauty" (Isaiah 33:17) will be surrounded with beauty, "for the glory of Lebanon shall come unto thee, the fir tree, the pine tree, and the box together, to beautify the place of my sanctuary, where he will declare Yahweh’s name unto his brethren, in the midst of the great congregation" (Psalm 22:22), "which in the days of his travail and sorrow he loved and gave himself for, that he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the Word, that he might present it to himself a glorious ecclesia, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish" (Ephesians 5:27)."

- Ernest Pitt
The King in his Beauty (1917)

#12 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:43 AM

12 April 2014

"The Lord who spoke to Noah in the timber yard, speaks to us; the God who assured Abraham, assures us; He who journeyed with Joshua will go with us whithersoever we go; He who gave Gideon a pledge of His word has given us a living sign in the Word made flesh; He who promised Jeremiah deliverance, will deliver us through His Son who could say, "Lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world."

- James Crossley
It is I; Be Not Afraid (1970)

#13 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

13 April 2014

"This is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith," says the apostle John. It follows that the control we are able to exercise over our emotions, and indeed the development of our characters as a whole, must depend, ultimately, upon our "inward vision"; that is, upon our knowledge of, and trust in, God. Hence the words of the apostle Paul: "We look not at the things which are seen ..."

- F.V. Morgan
Things Transient (1942)

#14 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:41 PM

14 April 2014

"There are some things which are permanent, things which cannot be moved or shaken. Those are the things which belong to God. All things human are transient; even the good and the beautiful pass with those who manifest those characteristics. Times of peace give place to war: security to insecurity; health and life to sickness and death. But God has promised a kingdom, and having faith in His promise we hearken to the apostle’s words: "Wherefore we, receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear". (Hebrews 12:28) Let us hold fast to God’s grace, is the message."

- John Carter
Abiding Things (1954)

#15 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:49 AM

15 April 2014

"We have free will over what we do and how we go about it, how great or little effort we put into it, but thankfully the results and effects (assuming we pray about such things) are not left to chance. In a sense there are no such things as failure or success for a believer. He or she must know that all the outcomes of life are simply either lessons of encouragement or chastening from a loving God. If only we could always recognise them as such and remember that this is how life works."

- Colin Attridge
The Fruit of the Spirit

#16 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:22 PM

16 April 2014

"It is a great fight of faith all the way through; none are perfect; “in many points we offend all”; but here is our power—our shield, helmet, sword, all contained in the word of God. Let us give ourselves to it, in patient endeavour to do God’s will, remembering Christ, who has overcome, and it may be that God will accept us in him, and pass by our imperfections for his sake."

- C.C. Walker
Exhortation (1908)

#17 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:30 PM

17 April 2014

"The greatest gift in His heavenly store which will come to us, not now, but when Christ brings it, is the gift of immortality and perfection. He has it with Him, and Christ will come again, bringing it from God’s heavenly store and give it to those who have sought it in sincerity and truth. (Romans 2:7)."

- Tim Galbraith
Caution! God at Work

#18 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:59 AM

18 April 2014

"The saint ... is a man of peace; he thinks peace, he lives peace, he preaches the glad message of peace, and in its embrace he waits for the coming of the one who gave it to him: The Prince of Peace. A saint who is truly of this spirit has no need to argue about "peace at any price", for he is of the same spirit as his Master, and follows him in the way he met the problems that arise from the spirit of the flesh."

- John Marshall
Portrait of the Saint

#19 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:30 PM

19 April 2014

"Jesus said, "I, if I be lifted up, will draw all men unto me": this drawing power has been manifested in the call of the gospel, and will have its outcome in the complete transformation of our nature, if only we are able to "overcome." For, "he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations."; and "the same shall be clothed in white raiment: and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before His angels" (Revelation 3:5)"

- F.H. Hallam
The Memorial Feast (1942)

#20 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:05 PM

20 April 2014

"To the victory of the cross must be added the triumph of the resurrection: they cannot be separated. Wicked hands had taken Jesus and crucified him: but God had raised him up, because it was not possible that he should be holden of death. So we pass to the next chapter in John’s gospel and behold the Risen Christ! We rejoice with his disciples in the knowledge that he is risen indeed; and we feel in some measure at least his triumph over death. The terrible ordeal of Calvary is past, his sacrifice accepted, his obedience vindicated; he is "declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead". (Romans 1:4)

- F.W. Turner
Meditations (1950)

#21 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:18 PM

21 April 2014

"Ever since the day when the light streamed about him on the road to Damascus, Paul had lived for Christ. His own words best describe that life. "I have been crucified with Christ; yet I live; and yet no longer I, but Christ liveth in me; and that life which I now live in the flesh I live in faith, the faith which is in the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself up for me." In that life he bore about in the body the dying of Jesus, that "the life also of Jesus may be manifested in his body".

To him, death was gain. The crucifying was over, and he sleeps in Jesus until the time comes for him to realize his life’s aim, and be "for ever with the Lord".

- W.H. Boulton
Paul The Apostle

#22 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:28 AM

22 April 2014

"One truth is very evident in the teaching of our Lord. Our knowledge of him is not an end in itself, the disciple is to be not self-regarding but is to bring the light to others also. Thus teaching becomes the natural consequence of learning. Not content only to receive, we must give, and learn how to give."

- Ralph Smalley
The First Epistle to Timothy (1965)

#23 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:26 PM

23 April 2014

"Great crises bring severe tests with the possibility of complete failure or real victory. They try us to our foundations, but successfully negotiated they bring a peace with God which is beyond price: “No chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby” (Hebrews 12:11)."

- T.J. Barling
And As Moses Lifted Up the Serpent . . . (1949)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users