when
the heavens
and
the earth
has not
yet
created
?

Disclaimer: We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do. (Luke 17:10)

#2 Chrlsp

Chrlsp

Mu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

"Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou [art] God (El, The Almighty)." (Psa 90:2)

"I AM That I AM". "I AM"...The unchangeable God.(Ex 3:14)

Edited by Chrlsp, 25 April 2012 - 02:14 PM.

#3 LioneDea

LioneDea

Lambda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:46 PM

"Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou [art] God (El, The Almighty)." (Psa 90:2)

"I AM That I AM". "I AM"...The unchangeable God.(Ex 3:14)

Lione D' ea: So the question is, where is God when heavens and earth has not yet created?

(end.)

Disclaimer: We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do. (Luke 17:10)

#4 Mark Taunton

Mark Taunton

Rho

• Christadelphian Armoury
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

The Bible says that God created the heavens and the earth. But it does not say he exists only within them, that is, within the universe we can observe. Logically, that does not make sense anyway: if he created them, he existed before they did. So God cannot be constrained by their dimensions. On the contrary, Solomon said:

2 Chr 2:5 And the house which I build is great: for great is our God above all gods.
6 But who is able to build him an house, seeing the heaven and heaven of heavens cannot contain him?

#5 nsr

nsr

Order of the Golden Pedant 2nd Class

• Forum Manager
  • 6,354 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:33 PM

We don't know because the Bible doesn't tell us.
"But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, to an innumerable company of angels, to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are registered in heaven, to God the Judge of all, to the spirits of just men made perfect..." (Heb 12:22-23)

#6 LioneDea

LioneDea

Lambda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:37 PM

Lione D' ea: Jesus Christ tell us that He was there when the Father create the heavens and earth to prove the Son was there beside with the Father in Proverbs 30:4 Read:

Who hath ascended up into heaven, or descended? who hath gathered the wind in his fists? who hath bound the waters in a garment? who hath established all the ends of the earth? what is his name, and what is his son's name, if thou canst tell?

Lione D' ea: So where is He?

(end.)

#7 nsr

nsr

• Forum Manager
  • 6,354 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

That isn't talking about Jesus. Jesus wasn't born until the time of the New Testament.
"But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, to an innumerable company of angels, to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are registered in heaven, to God the Judge of all, to the spirits of just men made perfect..." (Heb 12:22-23)

#8 LioneDea

LioneDea

Lambda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

That isn't talking about Jesus. Jesus wasn't born until the time of the New Testament.

Lione D' ea: What is Jesus in the Bible. Let us read Matthew 1:21, 23 it says:

And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS:

Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. (King James Version)

Lione D' ea: According the passage itself Jesus in the Bible interpret as God meaning He is God. So how we are sure that He is God...is He existed in eternal. John 1:1-3 Read:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. (King James Version)

Lione D' ea: There are two(2) person mention in this passage, the Word and the God. The verses tell us that the Word is with God and the Word is God. Why the Word is God, is because according in verse (3) All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. So before all things were made, the Word which is God was existed and He was there and seen what the Father made. Proverbs 8:22-27 Read:

The LORD possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old.

23 I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was.

24 When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water.

25 Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth:

26 While as yet he had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor the highest part of the dust of the world.

27 When he prepared the heavens, I was there:

Lione D' ea: Wherefore Christ was there before all things were made meaning before the heavens and earth was made, God and Christ is existed. So where is the Father and Son when heavens and earth has not yet created?

(end.)

#9 LioneDea

LioneDea

Lambda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

The Bible says that God created the heavens and the earth. But it does not say he exists only within them, that is, within the universe we can observe. Logically, that does not make sense anyway: if he created them, he existed before they did. So God cannot be constrained by their dimensions. On the contrary, Solomon said:

2 Chr 2:5 And the house which I build is great: for great is our God above all gods.
6 But who is able to build him an house, seeing the heaven and heaven of heavens cannot contain him?

Lione D' ea: Acts 7:47-48 Read:

But Solomon built him a house.

48 Yet the most High dwelleth not in houses made by hands, as the prophet saith: (Douay-Rheims Bible)

Lione D' ea: So let ask the Bible who is the builder of the house. In Hebrew 3:4 Read:

(For every house is built by someone, but the builder of all things is God.) (English Standard Version)

Lione D' ea: God is the builder of all things, God create Heavens and earth, but where is He when heavens and earth has not yet created?

(end.)

#10 nsr

nsr

• Forum Manager
  • 6,354 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

John 1:1 says "the word" was with God. It does not say Jesus was with God. Jesus is not "the word". Jesus is "the word made flesh". Think of the "the word" as an architect's blueprint and the "word made flesh" as the resulting building. Jesus was God's word lived out in a perfect human life.

Proverbs 8:22-27 is a personification of wisdom. It doesn't mention Jesus anywhere.
  • Matt Smith likes this

#11 Mark Taunton

Mark Taunton

Rho

• PipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:03 PM

48 Yet the most High dwelleth not in houses made by hands, as the prophet saith: (Douay-Rheims Bible)

Lione D' ea: So let ask the Bible who is the builder of the house. In Hebrew 3:4 Read:

(For every house is built by someone, but the builder of all things is God.) (English Standard Version)

Lione D' ea: God is the builder of all things, God create Heavens and earth, but where is He when heavens and earth has not yet created?

(end.)

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make by quoting Acts 7 in relation to 2 Chr 2 that I quoted - those two passages are entirely in agreement, that God does not live in houses (temples) made with hands. It is obvious that the God who created the heavens and the earth cannot possibly be constrained by a house or temple made of stones and timbers. And the Hebrews passage says that although men (such as Moses, in context) may build a representative "house" for God (like the tabernacle Moses made), God himself is the builder of everything that exists. So this also agrees with the words of Solomon and Stephen.

Lastly, to answer your question more directly from the Bible, about where God was before he had created the heavens and earth:

Isa 57:15 For thus saith the high and lofty One who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.

This description fits with Jesus saying that God is spirit (John 4:24); God is not himself made of flesh, i.e. he is not of material "stuff" in the way we are made; no-one made God. So he is not bound by the material universe we live in, which he also made. As he says in this passage from Isaiah, he inhabits eternity, and dwells in "the high and holy place". So that must be "where" he was before he created the heavens and earth. Obviously, we cannot explain that location relative to this present universe, though - we just have to accept it as God's own description of where he dwells.

But amazingly and wonderfully, God says in this same place that he is prepared to dwell also with one who has a "contrite and humble spirit", that is, with a man who trembles at his word (Isa 66:1-2), with those who worship him in spirit and truth (John 4:23-24, Php 3:3); they form a spiritual house for him to dwell in (Eph 2:19-22). This is why he made us (of flesh, from the dust of the earth) and gave us both life (breath), and minds (spirits) that can think about and respond to him. He is the God of the spirits of all flesh (Num 16:22; Num 27:16) before whom, in the end, all flesh shall come to worship (Psa 65:2; Isa 66:23).

Edited by Mark Taunton, 10 May 2012 - 08:49 PM.

#12 LioneDea

LioneDea

Lambda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:56 AM

John 1:1 says "the word" was with God. It does not say Jesus was with God. Jesus is not "the word". Jesus is "the word made flesh". Think of the "the word" as an architect's blueprint and the "word made flesh" as the resulting building. Jesus was God's word lived out in a perfect human life.

Proverbs 8:22-27 is a personification of wisdom. It doesn't mention Jesus anywhere.

Lione D' ea: That is not the paragraph said. Let us read in John 1:14 it says:

And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we saw his glory, the glory as it were of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. (Douay-Rheims Bible)

Lione D' ea: The paragraph said the Word came in the flesh. The question is how the word came in that flesh in Hebrew 10:5 Read?

Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me: (King James Version)

Lione D' ea: According in the passage above the Word is cometh into the world and He enter in that body which prepared. So where is that body which prepared in Matthew 1:20 Read?

But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.

Lione D' ea: The body which prepared was in the bosom of the woman, the Word enter in that body which Mary's conceived. Then when Mary brought out her first-born child the verse it says:

And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS:

Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. (Matthew 1:21, 23 of King James Version)

Lione D' ea: Wherefore they named the child as Jesus, and He is God that's why John said in 1:1-3, 14 Read:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2The same was in the beginning with God.

3All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us,

Lione D' ea: Therefore Jesus Christ is the Word and Wisdom which Bible referring. So where is God the Father when heavens and earth has not yet created?

(end.)

Edited by LioneDea, 11 May 2012 - 12:07 PM.

#13 LioneDea

LioneDea

Lambda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

(end.)

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make by quoting Acts 7 in relation to 2 Chr 2 that I quoted - those two passages are entirely in agreement, that God does not live in houses (temples) made with hands. It is obvious that the God who created the heavens and the earth cannot possibly be constrained by a house or temple made of stones and timbers. And the Hebrews passage says that although men (such as Moses, in context) may build a representative "house" for God (like the tabernacle Moses made), God himself is the builder of everything that exists. So this also agrees with the words of Solomon and Stephen.

Lastly, to answer your question more directly from the Bible, about where God was before he had created the heavens and earth:

Isa 57:15 For thus saith the high and lofty One who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.

This description fits with Jesus saying that God is spirit (John 4:24); God is not himself made of flesh, i.e. he is not of material "stuff" in the way we are made; no-one made God. So he is not bound by the material universe we live in, which he also made. As he says in this passage from Isaiah, he inhabits eternity, and dwells in "the high and holy place". So that must be "where" he was before he created the heavens and earth. Obviously, we cannot explain that location relative to this present universe, though - we just have to accept it as God's own description of where he dwells.

But amazingly and wonderfully, God says in this same place that he is prepared to dwell also with one who has a "contrite and humble spirit", that is, with a man who trembles at his word (Isa 66:1-2), with those who worship him in spirit and truth (John 4:23-24, Php 3:3); they form a spiritual house for him to dwell in (Eph 2:19-22). This is why he made us (of flesh, from the dust of the earth) and gave us both life (breath), and minds (spirits) that can think about and respond to him. He is the God of the spirits of all flesh (Num 16:22; Num 27:16) before whom, in the end, all flesh shall come to worship (Psa 65:2; Isa 66:23).

Lione D' ea: Then what is that place where He dwell when heavens and earth has not yet created?

(end.)

#14 Mark Taunton

Mark Taunton

Rho

• PipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:38 PM

Lione D' ea: Then what is that place where He dwell when heavens and earth has not yet created?

As God himself says in Isa 57:15, he dwells in "eternity", in "the high and holy place".

Edited by Mark Taunton, 11 May 2012 - 01:39 PM.

#15 LioneDea

LioneDea

Lambda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:07 PM

As God himself says in Isa 57:15, he dwells in "eternity", in "the high and holy place".

Lione D' ea: Isaiah 57:15 it reads:

For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.

Lione D' ea: What is the eternity which the Holy dwell in the high and holy place?

(end.)

#16 Mark Taunton

Mark Taunton

Rho

• PipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:48 PM

Lione D' ea: What is the eternity which the Holy dwell in the high and holy place?

The word eternity means "forever". Although it is hard for us to understand (we think of time as time, not as a "place"), God is saying he inhabits "forever". In another context, Moses says to Yahweh:

Psa 90:2 Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.

This shows that Yahweh has always existed, even before creation; he is God "from everlasting to everlasting".

Edited by Mark Taunton, 12 May 2012 - 03:50 PM.

#17 LioneDea

LioneDea

Lambda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:22 AM

The word eternity means "forever". Although it is hard for us to understand (we think of time as time, not as a "place"), God is saying he inhabits "forever". In another context, Moses says to Yahweh:

Psa 90:2 Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.

This shows that Yahweh has always existed, even before creation; he is God "from everlasting to everlasting".

Lione D' ea: If we are saying the word inhabits there is a place that God dwell there which before the heavens and earth has not yet created?

(end.)

#18 Matt Smith

Matt Smith

Upsilon

• Forum Manager
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:18 AM

Lione D' ea: If we are saying the word inhabits there is a place that God dwell there which before the heavens and earth has not yet created?

(end.)

Huh?
Matt Smith
Arizona Christadelphians

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

#19 Mark Taunton

Mark Taunton

Rho

• PipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:08 AM

Yes, it is "eternity".

#20 nsr

nsr

• Forum Manager
  • 6,354 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:14 AM

Is there a point to this thread? Are you genuinely looking for an answer or are you trying to push your own?

#21 LioneDea

LioneDea

Lambda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

Yes, it is "eternity".

Lione D' ea: Then where is that eternity where God dwell, because according to what you cited in Psalm 90:2 by David not Moses:

Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.

Lione D' ea: The passage did not tell where was God here when before heavens and earth has created. Then where is God when heavens and earth has not yet created?

(end.)

#22 LioneDea

LioneDea

Lambda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:42 AM

Is there a point to this thread? Are you genuinely looking for an answer or are you trying to push your own?

Lione D' ea: I Peter 3:15 it says:

But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

Lione D' ea: Where is God when heavens and earth has not yet created?

(end.)

#23 LioneDea

LioneDea

Lambda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

(end.)

Huh?

Upsilon<

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Lione D' ea: Isaiah 29:11-12 Let us read:

And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed:

12 And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned. (King James Version)

Lione D' ea: Regarding the first book of the Bible as Genesis 1:1 can you open the Book of the Lord where we can read before heavens and earth has created where is God?

(end.)

Edited by LioneDea, 13 May 2012 - 11:02 AM.

#24 nsr

nsr

• Forum Manager
  • 6,354 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:27 PM

You've had several answers already. Please respond to them instead of posting the same question over and over again, or the thread will be locked.

#25 Mark Taunton

Mark Taunton

Rho

• PipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:32 PM

Yes, it is "eternity".

Lione D' ea: Then where is that eternity where God dwell, because according to what you cited in Psalm 90:2 by David not Moses:

Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.

Lione D' ea: The passage did not tell where was God here when before heavens and earth has created. Then where is God when heavens and earth has not yet created

In Psalm 90, (which was a prayer given to Moses, not to David - the heading tells us so), we are told that God will always exist and has always existed, from before he created the world. In Isaiah, God says he inhabits eternity. Putting those two passages together answers your question.

But in any case, as Solomon said in his prayer, God cannot be contained by the heaven or heaven of heavens, even now, so asking where God was at any particular time, such as before he created the heavens and earth, is actually irrelevant. He inhabits eternity, and since he is eternal, always has and always will.

Those passages provide scripture's answer to your question, whether or not you like it. So unless you can point out another relevant passage that has not been mentioned, there is no point you continuing to ask the question.

#26 Mark Taunton

Mark Taunton

Rho

• PipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

You quote Peter's counsel to believers, about people who ask them questions. But he is not talking about all possible questions, and some questions are not valid, or not worth asking. Your question does not concern our "reason for the hope that is in us". We don't need to know where God was before he created heaven and earth, to have a reason for the hope we have. Scripture does say certain things about the issue, but it does not say everything you seem to think it should. So please be satisfied with the answers you have been given.

Edited by Mark Taunton, 13 May 2012 - 03:24 PM.

#27 LioneDea

LioneDea

Lambda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:37 AM

You've had several answers already. Please respond to them instead of posting the same question over and over again, or the thread will be locked.

Lione D' ea: it's not because all passages they given are wrong, for example in below.

#28 LioneDea

LioneDea

Lambda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

Yes, it is "eternity".

Lione D' ea: The passage did not tell where was God here when before heavens and earth has created. Then where is God when heavens and earth has not yet created

In Psalm 90, (which was a prayer given to Moses, not to David - the heading tells us so), we are told that God will always exist and has always existed, from before he created the world. In Isaiah, God says he inhabits eternity. Putting those two passages together answers your question.

But in any case, as Solomon said in his prayer, God cannot be contained by the heaven or heaven of heavens, even now, so asking where God was at any particular time, such as before he created the heavens and earth, is actually irrelevant. He inhabits eternity, and since he is eternal, always has and always will.

Those passages provide scripture's answer to your question, whether or not you like it. So unless you can point out another relevant passage that has not been mentioned, there is no point you continuing to ask the question.

Lione D' ea: Psalms 90:2 it say's:

Lione D' ea: The passage did not tell He was inhabits here, because It says: from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God meaning HE is God in was. So before God created the heavens and earth where is He?

(end.)

#29 LioneDea

LioneDea

Lambda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:08 AM

You quote Peter's counsel to believers, about people who ask them questions. But he is not talking about all possible questions, and some questions are not valid, or not worth asking. Your question does not concern our "reason for the hope that is in us". We don't need to know where God was before he created heaven and earth, to have a reason for the hope we have. Scripture does say certain things about the issue, but it does not say everything you seem to think it should. So please be satisfied with the answers you have been given.

Lione D' ea: Wrong that is not Peter telling us the all possible questions cannot be answer and not valid. Let us read II Peter 3:16 Read:

But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: (King James Version)

Lione D' ea: Every man had different questions including me and you. Therefore all possible questions can answer by Bible and valid to testify my statement in Isaiah 34:16 Read:

Seek ye out of the book of the LORD, and read: no one of these shall fail, none shall want her mate: for my mouth it hath commanded, and his spirit it hath gathered them. (King James Version)

Lione D' ea: Bible cannot fail to give possible answer in every man asketh a different questions.

Assignment for pastors: Where is God when heavens and earth has not yet created?

(end.)

Edited by LioneDea, 21 May 2012 - 09:25 AM.

#30 Mark Taunton

Mark Taunton

Rho

• PipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

Lione D'ea

You are ignoring the point I made previously:

2 Pet 3:16 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

You aren't asking us a reason for the hope that is in us. Our hope does not depend on knowing the answer to your question. So we don't need to be able to answer it.

Even so, as I have already pointed out, God says in Isaiah that he dwells in eternity. So that is the answer to your question, even if you don't accept it.

That is my final reply. If you continue to ignore the points that have been made, and just repeat your question, this thread will be locked.

Edited by Mark Taunton, 21 May 2012 - 12:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users