3 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen

Stephen

Xi

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:16 PM

From NSRs questions asked a while ago on Revelation 11-12, I got my interest peaked in the Rainbowed angel and have been listening to some of the lectures on the topic.

In one of the lectures, brother Jim(?) Cowie brought Isaiah 21 into the mix as part of the path that the rainbowed angel would take. This struck me as incorrect.

I thought that Isaiah 21 to be fulfilled already as is Isaiah 22 and Isaiah 23 with Isaiah 20 setting the context. Isaiah was walking around naked for 3 years as an object lesson. That would hardly be applicable today or in the future.

Am I off base?
The important things are always simple; the simple are always hard.

#2 The

The

Beta

• Christadelphian
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:22 PM

Isa 21 is about how the Medes and Persians took Babylon, at least the first burden of the chapter. We have to be careful when interpreting prophecies that have already been fulfilled, that we aren't inventing our own types from them.

Just to point out two reasons why it could be a type of the future, and therefore why Jim might have been right to quote it.
(1) I noticed in v9, Babylon is fallen is fallen is picked up in Rev 14:8.
(2) Other prophecies of the downfall of Babylon, are a shadow of things to come, for example Isa 44:26-45:4.

These by no means prove Jim's point, just a few observations.

#3 nsr

nsr

Order of the Golden Pedant 2nd Class

• Forum Manager
  • 6,356 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:33 PM

If someone can explain to me the "traditional" view of the rainbowed angel and how it is reached from Scripture, I'd be grateful. I see all of Rev 10-11 taking place at the time of the sixth trumpet/second woe.
"But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, to an innumerable company of angels, to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are registered in heaven, to God the Judge of all, to the spirits of just men made perfect..." (Heb 12:22-23)

#4 Stephen

Stephen

Xi

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:04 PM

If someone can explain to me the "traditional" view of the rainbowed angel and how it is reached from Scripture, I'd be grateful. I see all of Rev 10-11 taking place at the time of the sixth trumpet/second woe.

I tried to read it from the on-line version of Eureka, but Dr. Thomas' writing requires a paper copy that I can highlight and markup in order to discern what he is trying to communicate. It would also require many hours of peace as it is a tough read which isn't going to happen with a 1 year old in the house.

There is a Johnathan Bowen lecture on the bibletalks4u website, but the lecture is cut short 5 minutes into the one hour lecture.

That is where I ran into brother Cowie's lecture. I'm going to finiish out the series, but it just started setting off alarm bells.
The important things are always simple; the simple are always hard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users