29 replies to this topic

#1 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:18 AM

01 November 2009

"... the whole history of mankind does not constitute a fraction of eternity.
The realization of this fact helps us to see something of God's point of view,
and we can understand why that which seems like the most awful suffering
to us can be described as a 'light affliction which endureth but for a moment.'"
- Islip Collyer

"For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory
that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on
what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal"
2 Corinthians 4:17,18

#2 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:15 AM

02 November 2009

"All the lessons of history in four sentences:

Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad with power.
The mills of God grind slowly, but they grind exceedingly small.
The bee fertilizes the flower it robs.
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars."

- Charles A. Beard

#3 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:42 AM

03 November 2009

"We can often do more for other men by trying to correct our own faults
than by trying to correct theirs."
- Francois Fenelon

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye
and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,'
when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?
First take the plank out of your own eye, and
then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.”
Matthew 7:3-5

#4 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:45 AM

04 November 2009

"The voice of conscience is so delicate that it is easy to stifle it;
but it is also so clear that it is impossible to mistake it."
- Madame De Staîl

"The goal of this command is love,
which comes from a pure heart and
a good conscience and a sincere faith."
1 Timothy 1:5

#5 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:57 AM

05 November 2009

"All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thus says the LORD: 'Heaven is My throne, and earth is My footstool ...
For all those things My hand has made,
and all those things exist,' says the LORD.
'But on this one will I look: on him who is poor and of a contrite spirit,
and who trembles at My word.'"
Isaiah 66:1-2

#6 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 02:06 AM

06 November 2009

Self Examination

"This work is necessarily an individual matter, and herein lies the difficulty. A man is his own accuser, his own defender, and his own judge. With the most complete facilities for knowing the full measure of his guilt, he unites a most unjudicial bias in favor of the accused. He perhaps possesses all the knowledge necessary to draw up an unanswerable indictment; but his talent is mainly employed to find extenuating circumstances. He has all the skills of a defending counsel to raise a false issue, but lacks the impartiality of a judge to expose the pretense."

- Islip Collyer

#7 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 02:13 AM

07 November 2009

"JOY: ... joy is not one blinding flash of ecstatic happiness which comes suddenly and then is gone. It is a constant force of shared delight which is undisturbed by circumstances, good or bad; in a sense detached from the undulation of life but always sensitive to the needs they create. That means that joy cannot be enjoyed in isolation. Joy cannot be hoarded. When joy is gathered it is gathered in order to be spread. It is not drinking at the stream to quench our thirst alone; it is drinking for the common wealth; it is taking the water into the desert for thirsty souls; it is putting a little sweetness into the drabness of somebody's day, a little companionship into somebody's loneliness. Joy active is moved by the impetus of love for some other soul."

- Dennis Gillett

#8 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:09 AM

08 November 2009

"God will be all in all and will at last be revealed to men. In Revelation 21:3-4 we are given a glorious glimpse of God’s perfected plan, “Behold, the dwelling of God is with men, He will dwell with them, and they shall be his people and God himself will be with them; he will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and Death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning nor crying nor pain any more, for the former things have passes away.”

In the very last chapter of the Bible we read more about the “healing” of our sick world, and there we meet the joyous, thrilling news;

“There shall be no more curse.”

And so is brought to its grand finale God’s plan with man.

As we look out on the present evil state of this godless world, we may not see much in the shape of a plan. But it is the end we must look to. You do not see the noble lines of a stately building while it is in course of being erected. But the man who designed it ­ the architect ­ and those who have looked upon his plan can see, with the eye of faith, the finished work. They know that when all the waste and worthless and unwanted materials are cleared away after the task of building is complete, the edifice will be plainly seen by all in its full grandeur and beauty.

God is the Supreme Architect, the Designer of the great plan of the ages. In His written Word He graciously permits us to view the splendid blue-print of His grand redemptive scheme. Don’t let men’s deeds hide from your mental view this wondrous plan of God. The works of men will pass away; God’s purpose will stand. Nothing that men may do can cause that plan to fail. As the poet has so well put it:

What though none on earth assist Him!
God requires not help from man,
What though all the earth resist Him!
God will realize His plan."

- Harold Wright
-------
God's Plan with Man

#9 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:52 AM

09 November 2009

"Before you take anything away,
you must have something better to put in its place."
- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

"Do not be conformed to this world but be transformed
by the renewal of your mind,
that you may prove what is the will of God,
what is good and acceptable and perfect."
Romans 12:2

#10 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:16 AM

10 November 2009

"The fruit of the Spirit is love-­and if you can receive it, these are the flavours, textures, colours: different and detectable but all part of the one fruit. Remember one thing: fruit is not magic. It does not appear overnight: growth is real but slow. Protection and cultivation are vital. Setbacks there will be. Waiting and working are not always contradictory. Let us never lose heart. It is, after all, the fruit of the Spirit. Fruit is God-created, not man-made."

- Dennis Gillett

#11 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:09 AM

11 November 2009

"All good work is done the way ants do things, little by little."
- Lafcadio Hearn (1850-1904)

"Go to the ant ... consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander, no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest."
Proverbs 6:6-8

#12 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:22 AM

12 November 2009

"Every day is a fresh beginning,
Every morn is the World made new".
- Sarah Chauncey Woolsey

"It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed,
because his compassions fail not.
They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness".
Lamentations 3:23

#13 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:27 PM

13 November 2009

"Imagine that you are blind, close your eyes for a few moments if that helps. Listen to the crowd, the babble of sound, the laughter, the beggars calling in the street, the children playing, the dogs barking. All around are the sounds of life and yet some thing is different - people are pushing, there is excitement in the air. But you are excluded, you are isolated by your blindness. You cry; "What's going-on?", they tell you to be quiet because Jesus of Nazareth is coming to town. Suddenly your pulses race, you are excited, someone has told you that he can open blind eyes, this must be The One whom Isaiah portrayed so many years ago; "He shall ... come ... to open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house." (Isaiah 42:7)

You have been meditating upon the words for many years and now you know instinctively that this is Messiah. You shout across the crowded street;

"Jesus, son of David have mercy on me".

Your friends and neighbours try to silence you, they are embarrassed by your shouting, but you know that it is now or never Be heard or be blind for life!

"Jesus, son of David have mercy on me".

The crowd grow silent, even the children stand still and the dogs stop barking. It is silent, everyone is waiting, eager hands grab you, you are propelled forward through the crowd until you are at his feet.

"What do you want me to do for you?"

He asks you softly, personally and penetratingly. You instantly know that he can heal you. You know without any shadow of doubt.

"Lord, that I may receive my sight."

He, quick as lightning and with absolute authority so that all could hear:

"Receive your sight; your faith has made you well".

With great care you open your eyes and lift your eyelids heavenwards and see his face, you look into his eyes and you know that this is Jesus, the Messiah. Suddenly you realise that you can see, that you have been given the greatest gift, your sight has been restored and you follow him, glorifying God together with all your friends and neighbours.

We were blind but now we see, not just with a literal sight but with the inner perception of faith. We were in darkness, but now we are in the presence of the Light of the World and we can see in his eyes the compassion and authority, the love and judgement of our Heavenly Father. The words of Psalm 34 seem to be an apt description of all who come to the Lord in faith;

"This poor man cried out, and the Lord heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles ... The Lord redeems the soul of his servants: and none of those who trust in him shall be condemned". (Psalm 34:6 & 22) And "The LORD is my light and my salvation; the LORD is the strength of my life, of whom shall I be afraid? ... Hear O LORD, when I cry with my voice: have mercy also upon me and answer me." (Psalm 27:1 & 7)

We so often appear to be like the Scribes and Pharisees - full of indignation and righteous anger at the wrong committed by our fellows. Whereas, Jesus rightly challenges us to look at ourselves and then lift up our eyes to him seeking forgiveness for our sins which are so many.

We need to be more aware of our own wrongdoing, of our need for forgiveness. We need a greater sense of guilt but also of the mercy and forgiveness of our Lord. We need to repent and be converted in order to praise and magnify His Name.

May God bless us and help us to serve him with reverence and in awe."

- Colin Edwards
-------
The Parables of Christ - Epilogue (Luke 18:35-43)

#14 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:43 AM

14 November 2009

"Human nature combines with history to demand that power must be in natural opposition to humility and servitude. In revealing His love to man God shows how false such a conception is. He sent His Son for the salvation of man. We look for a revelation of glory and power; we find a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief. We look for a conscience-stricken people bowing in reverence before his majesty, but we see the Baptist lifting him from the flowing waters of the Jordan. We wait for the fiery judgment of Heaven upon a faithless people, but we see the gentle touch of healing and hear the contented cries of little children. We look for the denunciation of the traitor, but we see the Saviour kneeling at his feet with water and towel."

- Melva Purkis
-------
A Life of Jesus

#15 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:54 AM

15 November 2009

"If we are united with Christ - that is, if in Biblical language we are "in Christ Jesus" - then nothing can separate us from the love of God. Increasing knowledge of God's ways brings all who are taught of God by the revelation of His word to say with Paul, "O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out " (Rom. 11:33). For the gospel has been found to be "the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, The just shall live by faith" (Rom. 1:16, 17)."

- John Carter
-------
God's Way

#16 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:33 AM

16 November 2009

""For the Yahweh your Elohim is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty and a terrible, which regardeth not persons nor taketh reward: He doth execute the judgment of the fatherless and widow, and loveth the stranger, in giving him food and raiment. Love ye therefore the stranger: for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt."

This wide compassion is part of our understanding of God. He giveth His rain to the good and evil, and causeth His sun to shine on the just and unjust. So the Israelite must love the Israelite and the stranger, having compassion on every man who was oppressed. In this Jesus our Lord excelled: his words to the Samaritan woman at the well, to the Syrophoenician woman whose child was sick, to the woman who was a sinner, were all examples of his extensive mercy on those in need. If we would capture this spirit our lives would be enriched. It would increase our understanding of men, invigorate our preaching, and free us from the sin of "respect of persons" which besets us in a variety of forms."

- Harry Tennant
-------
Moses My Servant

#17 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:39 AM

17 November 2009

"It is vain to speak of approaching judgment when finding our place, our portion,
and our enjoyment in the very scene which is to be judged."
- Charles Henry Mackintosh (1820-1896)

"If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is,
you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world ..."
John 15:19

#18 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:13 AM

18 November 2009

Grace - Relying on Grace Rather than Works

"We need to be continually reminded that it is not our good deeds or our scriptural knowledge that will save us. It is not a matter of performing sufficient good works in our life to earn us a place in God’s kingdom. Nor can we perform enough good works to compensate for the bad things that we do.

God requires that we confess our sins and accept his grace. Rather than trying to earn salvation by our works, our works should be motivated by gratitude to God for his grace toward us.

When we realise that our works cannot save us, we may be tempted to stop doing good and start doing whatever we feel like. The apostle Paul warned first century believers against being tempted to sin more to receive more grace. He asked,

"What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means!" (Romans 6:1­2)

God will not let us take his grace for granted!"
-------
The Way of Life - edited by Rob Hyndman

#19 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:27 AM

19 November 2009

"All service for Christ begins at his feet. There, learning of him and understanding what he requires of us, our hearts are filled with the glow of his joy and the serenity of his peace. Only then can we arise and serve him in that quiet confidence and love which will guard us from self-righteousness and pride."

- ­ Melva Purkis

#20 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:51 AM

20 November 2009

"The Bible is a book of prayer. It opens with the picture of the Lord God walking with man amid the pristine glory of creation, and it ends, towards the close of the first century of the Christian era, with the Apostle John pleading for the return of his Lord. And prayer is woven into the fabric of every intervening scene. Time and again through the changing patterns of Bible history we are led into the secret places of men’s hearts and overhear, in turn, the outpourings of worship, broken words of contrition, the pleadings of men in the fires of temptation, the strong crying of affliction and the confession of need."

- Melva Purkis

#21 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 12:07 PM

21 November 2009

A Living Faith

"Time must be spent on the devoted way in which to read and contemplate the Bible every day; on how to pray; on the true value and meaning of the Breaking of Bread; on the real meaning of fellowship in our brotherhood and with the Father and His Son; on our family relationships; on our living companionship in Christian marriage; on holiness as distinct from sterile separateness; and, on what it means to live in faith and hope. And each member of Christ must be a living and willing witness to the faith he holds."

- Harry Tennant

#22 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:49 AM

22 November 2009

God’s Grace

"We only need to look out, away from ourselves, to the unhappiness and suffering in the world we live in, to forget ourselves in a passionate desire for the Son of God to bring in His reign of peace.

The other reason why we may not wholly desire the coming of the Lord is different. 'I want time to make myself a little better.' We are all rightly conscious of our own inadequacy. But do we really become better with time? It would be a bold saint who could give an unqualified 'Yes' to that question. In any case, the thought springs from a misunderstanding of our position in God's sight. There is no question of being good; let alone of getting better. We stand by God's grace, through the love of Christ in giving his life to save us from ourselves. It is much easier to defile our garments than to keep them clean!

No amount of time will enable us to earn acceptance at the judgment seat. Time is useless unless we use it to increase our understanding and appreciation of God's love, so that love and peace and joy may abound in our lives even now.

If we are striving to love God with all our heart, to love our neighbour as ourselves, and to grow in grace and knowledge of God and of Jesus, one prayer will be continually in our hearts: 'Even so, come, Lord Jesus.'"

- Eileen Ashman
-------
The Christadelphian (1967)

#23 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:19 PM

23 November 2009

Paraphrase of Hebrews 11:1 –

"Faith is what makes things hoped for seem real.
It convinces us of things unseen."
- Paul Wade

"Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for,
the conviction of things not seen."
Hebrews 11:1

#24 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:08 AM

24 November 2009

"It was no religion of mere negatives which, in the first century, “turned the world upside down”. It was a religion with a very pronounced positive side, as well as a negative, and it will greatly help us to decide what we must avoid in life, if we decide first of all what we must cherish. Paul shows us the way when he exhorts us to “set our affection on things above, not on things on the earth”. When we have acquired that particular habit, of setting our actual affection on things above, we shall find we shall have but little affection for things of the world. Such things will occupy in our minds only a little space, an incidental, superficial place. The secret of such high attainment is that with which the Apostle Paul, in Col. 3, sums up his list of positive Christian virtues. He says, “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom”. We should note that word dwell. Whatever dwells in the mind is bound to become the very mainspring of thought, word and deed. But when Paul says “dwell” he doubtless means “dwell”. A short, casual, week-end visit is of no avail. We must, above everything else, feed constantly and continuously on the life and example of Jesus, meditate upon it, until it becomes part of ourselves. Thus, and thus only, will Christ be in us, and we in him. And thus shall we slowly but surely attain “pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father, visiting the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and keeping ourselves unspotted from the world”."

- C. Cooper
-------
The Christadelphian
Volume 95 (1958)

#25 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:43 AM

25 November 2009

"Those who believe, who exhibit faith in Jesus Christ, are justified -­deemed righteous-­ freely by God’s grace. This is a gift which God has arranged in mercy, quite unmerited by man. And it is through the redemption that is in Christ that the deliverance is effected: “in Christ” because he has himself “obtained eternal redemption” (Heb. 9:12). He “brought life and immortality to light,” illustrating in himself God’s “purpose and grace” (2 Tim. 1:9, 10). It was his work to obtain this deliverance, and having obtained it, he became the author of salvation, the author and finisher of our faith, the firstborn among many brethren. Of God, he “is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption” (1 Cor. 1:30)."

- John Carter
-------
The Christadelphian
Volume 66 (1929)

#26 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:11 PM

26 November 2009

"A man's life is interesting primarily when he had failed –
for it's a sign that he tried to surpass himself."
– Georges Clemenceau

"And I trust that you will discover that we have not failed the test ...
Not that people will see that we have stood the test
but that you will do what is right even though we may seem to have failed.
For we cannot do anything against the truth, but only for the truth."
2 Corinthians 13:6-8

#27 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:57 AM

27 November 2009

"Reflect upon your blessings,
of which every man has plenty,
not on your past misfortunes,
of which all men have some."
- Charles Dickens

"It is a good thing to give thanks unto the LORD,
and to sing praises unto Thy name, O most High:
To show forth Thy loving kindness in the morning,
and Thy faithfulness every night.
Psalm 92:1-2

#28 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:37 PM

28 November 2009

A Simple Gospel

"The idea of a "simple Gospel", in the sense of reducing it to a single sentence, has always proved attractive. This is in fact simplification of the Gospel, which is not at all the same thing. The Gospel is indeed simple when one rightly divides Scripture, allowing it to interpret itself in the light of the wholeness of its teaching. Let us take the record of the Philippian jailor as a "case history" for a study of the essentials of a saving faith (Acts 16: 25-34). His anxious question, asked as the jailor knelt trembling before Paul and Silas- "Sirs, What must I do to be saved?" - was an emotional reaction to the great earthquake and the bursting open of the prison doors. It came in response to Paul's reassuring yet authoritative voice: "Do thyself no harm; for we are all here."

The answer to the question was: "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved and thy house" (v. 30). If we stop at this point in our reading, then it would seem that the proponents of the simplified Gospel are right: believe in Jesus and you are saved. There is no reference to why Jesus was Lord, or even who he was that men should believe on him. If we follow the Authorised Version (the Revised omits the word "Christ"), there is no explanation of why he was called Christ, or the anointed. This basic statement of faith, if so we are to regard it, even omits an important element of the "saving truth" of Romans 10: 9-13: there is no reference to the resurrection of Jesus. But when we read on, all becomes plain: "And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house" (v. 32).

Moreover, the earlier verses of Acts 16 show that Paul and Silas had made a great impression by their preaching at Philippi. The "prophetess" whom they had cured declared that they were "servants of the Most High God, and proclaim the way of salvation". It is highly probable that the jailor had heard something of this preaching, and that this was why, when he had fallen upon his knees before them, he asked, "What must I do to be saved?"

We may be sure that all the essential truth of "the apostles' doctrine" (Acts 2: 42) was heard that night. We are also taught of another emotional reaction and the reason for it: the jailor "set meat before them, and rejoiced greatly with all his house, having believed in God" (v. 34, R.V.).

The apostles' doctrine proclaimed on the day of Pentecost in words taught by the Holy Spirit, was comprehensive and necessary in order to produce the right response in the Jewish audience. They knew the meaning of "Lord" and "Christ"; they were aware of all that the prophets had spoken and of the covenant made with David. They had been eye witnesses of many of the events surrounding the ministry of Jesus. What they needed to know more by way of saving truth was indeed one simple, yet vital fact: that the one they had crucified was the Lord's Christ, as God had demonstrated in raising him from the dead."

- Alfred Nicholls
-------
The Evangelical Revival
A Modern Challenge to Biblical Truth

#29 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 12:37 PM

29 November 2009

"And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep:
for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed. The night is far spent,
the day is at hand ... behold I come as a thief ... therefore, be ye also ready."

Romans 13:11-12; Revelation 16:15; Matthew 24:44

#30 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:59 AM

30 November 2009

"Develop an ‘attitude of gratitude.’
Say thank you to everyone you meet for everything they do for you."
- Brian Tracy

"O give thanks unto the LORD; for He is good: for His mercy endureth for ever.
O give thanks unto the God of gods: for His mercy endureth for ever.
O give thanks to the Lord of lords: for His mercy endureth for ever."
Psalm 136:1-3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users