Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:50 AM

01 July 2009

GO THE DISTANCE

"Yesterday is experience.
Tomorrow is hope.
Today is getting from one to the other as best we can."
- John M. Henry

"But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today,
so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness.
We have come to share in Christ if we hold firmly till the end
the confidence we had at first."
Hebrews 3:13-14

#2 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:08 AM

02 July 2009

Our Light Affliction 2 Corinthians 4

"The discipline of human parents partakes of the limitations of human nature; it is exercised as 'seemed good to them', and with the best of intentions it is not always wisely applied. But God's training has none of the deficiencies of the human training: it is directed with unerring wisdom for the benefit of the subjects of it. God's aim is that His children might be partakers of His holiness. When the end is reached and the bodies of His sons are made 'glorious', and when those children exhibit divine holiness in every word and act, it will be seen that the present trial is but a light affliction compared to the eternal weight of glory then enjoyed."
-------
- John Carter
"The Bedside Watchman" CMPA
"The Letter to the Hebrews" pages 260 and 261

#3 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:54 AM

03 July 2009

"By perseverance the snail reached the ark."
- Charles Haddon Spurgeon

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses,
let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles,
and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
Hebrews 12:1

#4 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:46 AM

04 July 2009

"When I have brought them back from the nations and have gathered them from the countries of their enemies, I will show myself holy through them in the sight of many nations. Then they will know that I am the LORD their God, for though I sent them into exile among the nations, I will gather them to their own land, not leaving any behind. I will no longer hide my face from them, for I will pour out my Spirit on the house of Israel, declares the Sovereign LORD."
Ezekiel 39:27-29

"The days are coming," declares the LORD, when the reaper will be overtaken by the plowman and the planter by the one treading grapes. New wine will drip from the mountains and flow from all the hills. I will bring back my exiled people Israel; they will rebuild the ruined cities and live in them. They will plant vineyards and drink their wine; they will make gardens and eat their fruit. I will plant Israel in their own land, never again to be uprooted from the land I have given them, says the LORD your God."
Amos 9:13-15

"This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: Write in a book all the words I have spoken to you. The days are coming, declares the LORD, when I will bring my people Israel and Judah back from captivity and restore them to the land I gave their forefathers to possess, says the LORD."
Jeremiah 30:2-3

"Hear the word of the LORD, O nations; proclaim it in distant coastlands: He who scattered Israel will gather them and will watch over his flock like a shepherd."
Jeremiah 31:10

"I will bring Judah and Israel back from captivity and will rebuild them as they were before."
Jeremiah 33:7

"I will take the Israelites out of the nations where they have gone. I will gather them from all around and bring them back into their own land. I will make them one nation in the land, on the mountains of Israel. There will be one king over all of them and they will never again be two nations or be divided into two kingdoms."
Ezekiel 37:21-22

"Then they will know that I am the LORD their God, for though I sent them into exile among the nations, I will gather them to their own land, not leaving any behind."
Ezekiel 39:28

"I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers, so that you may not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in."
Romans 11:25

"I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished."
Matthew 5:18

"... I can tell you that for the first time in the history of the Jewish people since the Second Temple period, in the next decade and a half the majority of the Jewish people will live in the Jewish land. If this is not the materialisation of prophecy, then nothing is."
- Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
-------
Feast of the Tabernacles Conference
(International Christian Embassy)
October 5, 1998

#5 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:37 AM

05 July 2009

"Christ had no time for immorality, and neither has any Bible-based church. Chastity, honesty and truthfulness are all musts for the genuine Christian.

At the same time, Christ hates self-righteousness, hard-heartedness and unkindness. He condemned the smug bunch of Pharisees who were looking down their noses at an adulterous woman - and then he rebuked the woman, 'Go, and do not sin again.' John 8:11.

The lesson of this story is clear. Christ hates both sorts of sin: the hidden sins of the heart, like the hypocrisy of the Pharisees, and the more obvious sins, like the adultery of the woman.

So we must constantly fight against 'internal' sins, like pride, and covetousness, and unclean thoughts; but we must fight equally hard against the 'external' sins, like cheating the income tax man, gluttony, and lying our way out of a scrape.

But this is only the negative side of Christian behaviour - the 'thou shalt nots'. Equally important, maybe even more important, are the positive traits listed in Galatians 5:22-23. 'The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.'"
-------
Brother Alan Hayward
Great News for the World

#6 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:50 AM

06 July 2009

"Careful what you sow, it might grow."
- Unknown

"The one who sows to please his sinful nature,
from that nature will reap destruction;
the one who sows to please the Spirit,
from the Spirit will reap eternal life.
Let us not become weary in doing good,
for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."
Galatians 6:8-9

#7 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:05 AM

07 July 2009

"Self-preservation is the highest law of nature;
self-sacrifice is the highest rule of grace ..."
- Unknown

"Greater love hath no man than this,
that a man lay down his life for his friends."
John 15:13

"And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us,
(and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,)
full of grace and truth."
John 1:14

#8 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:43 PM

08 July 2009

"The soul has no rainbow if the eyes have no tears."
- Native American Saying

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,
who comforts us in all our troubles,
so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort
we ourselves have received from God."
2 Corinthians 1:3-4

#9 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:19 AM

09 July 2009

Doest thou well to be Angry?

"Human nature has not changed since the fall of Adam and Eve. No one likes to be wrong. When someone shows us we are wrong, the natural reaction is to become angry at our teacher. It has ever been thus. It happened even when God was directly involved.

When Cain's sacrifice was rejected by God we are told that "Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell." In this case the LORD held a conversation with Cain and asked him, "Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?" Of course God knew the answer, but He was giving Cain an opportunity to answer for himself. Either Cain refused to answer God or else his answer is not recorded. The LORD continued speaking kindly to Cain and said, "If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door." God was giving Cain an opportunity to change. But we do not like to change. Cain did not want to change. We would think that if the LORD spoke to us that surely we would change, but Cain did not.

One of the characteristics of being wrong is being angry. Cain did not want to change. His defense was to be angry. Jonah was angry. God asked Jonah "Doest thou well to be angry? Jonah replied quite boldly to God, "I do well to be angry, even unto death." We might add that Jonah's anger was more deep seated than merely the loss of shade from the gourd. Paul was angry. He was "not able to resist the wisdom and the spirit by which Stephen spake." Rather than follow the wise teachings of Stephen, Paul was so angry that he cast his vote to kill Stephen, and by his own admission, later said concerning the Christians, that "he was exceedingly mad against them."

Human nature has not changed. These examples were written for our learning that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope. When we find that we disagree with someone and we feel anger welling up within us, it should tell us to stop and examine ourselves. Do we do well to be angry? We usually can convince ourselves like Jonah did that "we do well to be angry" but we might be surprised to find that we are wrong to be so angry. If we are in the right, there is no need to be angry. Instead of being angry, we should feel pity and compassion for our opponent who is wrong. Since we are in the right and they are wrong, they need our help, not our anger. If it should turn out that we are in the wrong, how foolish to have been both angry and wrong!

Wouldn't it be wonderful if people really listened and changed? Wouldn't it be grand if all followed the request of the Lord when he said, "Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool." Here God is asking us to sit down and to be reasonable when we are wrong, and certainly we should be this way when we are correct. This is why Paul exhorts us saying, "The servant of the Lord must not strive, but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient in meekness, instructing those that oppose themselves."

We need to remember this when we are trying to teach the truth to those who have held wrong doctrine all their lives. People do not change easily or quickly. Some never change. Whether they change or not, we must be gentle, patient and meek. When we are trying to teach someone that their soul is mortal, we need to be patient for they have always believed otherwise and do not unlearn wrong things quickly or easily. We need to keep on trying to teach them even though they oppose themselves We keep hoping "Peradventure God will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth."

If we adopt this principle with those who are outside the household of faith, then certainly we should be this way with those that are inside. We need to be extra loving, extra patient with those for whom Christ died. There is no room for anger here. If they are wrong we pray that God will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth. If they refuse to change then we pray that God will be merciful to them and forgive them. It is certain that we also are going to need the mercy of God or we are lost. Who is to say that their wrong is worse than some sin we have committed. We are not without sin.

Have we ever thought that there is a limit to God's mercy? We sometimes talk about how unlimited His mercy is. We often quote the Psalm "As far as the east is from the west, so far hath He removed our transgressions from us." While this is true, nevertheless the mercy of God is definitely limited. What is the limit of God's mercy? Jesus tells us. He says, "Forgive, and ye shall be forgiven." This means we are going to receive mercy only if we have been merciful; we are going to be forgiven only if we have forgiven, so each one of us is placing a limit on the mercy God is going to give us by the mercy we give to others."

"Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful."
-------
Brother Robert Lloyd
Minute Meditations

#10 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:57 AM

10 July 2009

"She who sows thistles will reap prickles."
- English Proverb

"He who sows wickedness reaps trouble,
and the rod of his fury will be destroyed."
Proverbs 22:8

#11 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:04 PM

11 July 2009

The Breaking of Bread

"This do in remembrance of Me" (Luke 22:19)

"Do we fully realize the importance of the weekly Memorial Service? There may be a danger in these days of multiplicity of meetings - fraternal gatherings, mutual improvement classes, study circles, singing classes, vacational campaigns, all of which have valuable features - of losing the correct sense of proportion. Let us put first things first: and the first in importance of all our meetings is that for the Breaking of Bread.

Do not let us forget that the Memorial Service owes its origin to a command of the Lord Jesus to his disciples: "This do in remembrance of me": Paul reminds us that it was given "the same night in which he was betrayed" - a solemn and an arresting association of ideas. Can we not enter somewhat into the spirit of that "dark betrayal night"? The partaking of the Passover with its vivid reminder of God's intervention and Israel's deliverance: our Lord's evident satisfaction in partaking with his disciples - "With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer": the sudden challenge of the Master: "Verily I say unto you, one of you shall betray me"; followed by the heart-searching enquiries "Lord, is it I? is it I?" Then the linking up of the Passover with the breaking of bread and drinking of the cup after Jesus had given thanks, and had associated the emblems with his body soon to be broken, and his blood about to be shed. Could those disciples ever forget the inauguration of that Memorial Feast?

Years later the apostle Paul, in giving the salient details of that inauguration to the Gentile believers in Corinth, reminds them: "As often as ye eat this bread and drink this cup, ye do show the Lord's death till he come". Surely the emphasis in that quotation is on the word "often"! How often shall the servants of Christ meet to remember him? If it were left to ourselves to decide, the answers would be many and conflicting: we are saved from such uncertainty. The apostolic example has been preserved for us in the record given in the Acts of the Apostles (20:7): "Upon the first day of the week when the disciples came together to break bread". Here then are our instructions based on the inspired record: "Do this in remembrance of me", said the Master; "Do it often", said Paul; "Do it on the first day of each week", said apostolic example.

I believe many brethren and sisters to-day feel that we may be called upon, in the none too distant future, to face some great trial of our faith, perhaps the last and supreme test the brotherhood may be called upon to endure. We may possibly be wrong in so indulging our imagination. One thing is certain, however: if we are faithful in the simpler and obvious duties of our profession, we shall be all the more able to meet the greater trials should these come. Every first day of the week brings with it a simple yet infallible test of our loyalty to Christ. Have we obeyed his command to remember him in the breaking of bread and drinking of wine? How many times have we failed to do so this year? Have we forgotten? Christ does not forget, and the "book of remembrance" is a Divine reality. Only the gravest of reasons can be adequate to justify our failure to obey our Lord's request. Was it impossible - really impossible - for us to be at the meeting? Then there is the possibility of breaking bread at home, as many a brother or sister in isolation must do. Were we on holiday? Then did we, amongst our preparations for that holiday, find out the address of the nearest ecclesia and time of meeting? Or if there were no ecclesia accessible, did we ourselves make the few essential preparations to remember Christ in the way appointed?

Each first day of the week brings its opportunity, and its test of loyalty to Christ. Happy shall we be if we can assure ourselves in the day of account that we have been consistently faithful in this matter of the remembrance of our absent Lord."
-------
Brother F.W. Turner
Meditations

#12 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:10 AM

12 July 2009

"A problem not worth praying about isn't worth worrying about."
- Glen Wheeler

"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?
But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well."
Luke 12:25, 26, 31

#13 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:56 AM

13 July 2009

"Unless we know the difference between flowers and weeds, we are not fit to take care of a garden. It is not enough to have truth planted in our minds. We must learn and labor to keep the ground clear of thorns and briars, follies and perversities, which have a wicked propensity to choke the word of life."
- Clyde Francis Lytle

"Listen then to what the parable of the sower means: When people hear the message about the kingdom and do not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in their hearts. This is the seed sown along the path. The seed falling on rocky ground refers to people who hear the word and at once receive it with joy. But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away. The seed falling among the thorns refers to people who hear the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, making it unfruitful. But the seed falling on good soil refers to people who hear the word and understand it. They produce a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown."
Matthew 13:18-23

#14 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:52 AM

14 July 2009

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities,
but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities."
- Josiah Stamp

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart,
as working for the Lord, not for men,
since you know that you will receive an inheritance
from the Lord as a reward.
It is the Lord Christ you are serving.
Anyone who does wrong will be repaid for his wrong,
and there is no favoritism."
Colossians 3:23-25

#15 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:02 AM

15 July 2009

"Prayer has comforted us in sorrow
and will help strengthen us for the journey ahead."
- GWB

"The LORD has heard my cry for mercy;
the LORD accepts my prayer."
Psalm 6:9

#16 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:30 AM

16 July 2009

"Be not afraid of going slowly; be afraid only of standing still."
- Chinese Proverb

"Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out."
- James Bryant Conant

"Someone asked Jesus, 'Lord, are only a few people going to be saved?'
He said to them, 'Make every effort to enter through the narrow door,
because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to.'"
Luke 13:23-24

#17 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:00 AM

17 July 2009

"God hath given to man a short time here upon earth,
and yet upon this short time eternity depends."
- Jeremy Taylor

"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise,
making the most of the time, because the days are evil."
Ephesians 5:15-16

#18 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 10:45 AM

18 July 2009

"No aspect of our life in Christ is more important than is prayer; a prayerless life is a Godless life.
Without prayer Bible study becomes mere academic exercise, fellowship mere social intercourse,
preaching a kind of religious politics and life like a dusty imitation flower - lacking colour and fragrance.
On the other hand, the man of prayer is seen to be a man of action!
For him there is access to perfect wisdom and all power - nothing is impossible!
The age of open miracles may be past, but God's arm is not shortened nor His power diminished.
In its fulfilment, prayer is the sum total of faith and fellowship with God."
-------
Brother Cyril Tennant
Prayer - Studies in Practice

#19 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:44 AM

19 July 2009

"The practice of honesty is more convincing than the profession of holiness."

"Be willing to tell the whole truth, and nothing but the truth."

"Truth has only to change hands a few times to become fiction: be very careful with it."

"The most important person to be honest with is yourself."

"Truth is not only stranger than fiction ≠ it is often nowhere near as plentiful."

"There is no acceptable substitute for honesty; there is no valid excuse for dishonesty."

"Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom."

"So live your life that your autograph will be wanted and not your fingerprints."

"When you stretch the truth, people usually see through it."

"There are no degrees of honesty."

"An honest man alters his ideas to fit the truth, and a dishonest man alters the truth to fit his ideas."
-------
- Honesty Sayings

#20 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:49 AM

20 July 2009

"When the wind blows hard on a tree,
the roots stretch and grow the stronger.
Let it be so with us. Let us not be weaklings,
yielding to every wind that blows,
but strong in spirit to resist."
- Amy Carmichael

"The righteous will flourish like a palm tree,
they will grow like a cedar of Lebanon;
planted in the house of the LORD,
they will flourish in the courts of our God."
Psalm 92:12-13

#21 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:37 AM

21 July 2009

"Be careful the environment you choose for it will shape you;
be careful the friends you choose for you will become like them."
- W. Clement Stone

"Do not be misled:
'Bad company corrupts good character.'"
1 Corinthians 15:33

#22 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:43 AM

22 July 2009

"We have to repent of our blindness, our lukewarmness, and our disobedience, and turn back to the central truth of Christ as Lord and Saviour; an ethical system will not save us here, nor a timid sentimentalism, nor an excited emotional return, nor a dilettante mysticism. We have to find that deep contrition which is the condition of His abiding. Repentance is not a mere feeling of sorrow or contrition for an act of wrongdoing. The regret I feel when I act impatiently or speak crossly is not repentance... Repentance is contrition for what we are in our fundamental beings, that we are wrong in our deepest roots because our internal government is by Self and not by God. And it is an activity of the whole person. Unless I will to be different, the mind will not follow. True repentance brings an urge to be different, because of the sense of the incessant movement of what I am, forming, forming, forming what I shall be in the years to come.
-------
- The Notebooks of Florence Allshorn

#23 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:31 AM

23 July 2009

"The word listen contains the same letters
as the word silent."
- Alfred Brendel

"Wait for the LORD; Be strong and let your heart take courage;
Yes, wait for the LORD."
Psalm 27:14

#24 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:17 PM

24 July 2009

Tell the Truth

Mark Twain said, "When in doubt, tell the truth. It will confound your enemies and astound your friends."

Obviously Mark Twain's irreverence highlights the gap between what we do and what we should do. Scripture plainly tells us, "Lie not to one another" and "speak every man truth to his neighbor." Clearly we are to tell the truth when in doubt and even when we are not in doubt. We simply should always tell the truth. Unfortunately, lying has become a way of life for many, and some even lie when the truth would be more to their benefit.

We like the story of a young Christadelphian who was working for a small company. The owner of the company had been lying to a particular customer each time he called asking why his order had not been shipped. One day when the boss was out, the young Christadelphian took the call from the irate customer and told him the truth. Immediately the customer realized the boss had been lying, so he called the boss. The boss summoned the young man into his office and snarled at him, saying, "Why do you always have to tell the truth?" The young man replied, "Sir, if you teach me to lie, you will never know when I am telling you the truth."

Do we want to be lied to? Do we want our associates to lie to us whenever they think it is for our own good? If we do, then we will never know when they are telling us the truth.

The Bible is clear; we should always tell the truth, which is why Jesus tells us that we should not take oaths because we must tell the truth all the time, not just when under oath. His instructions for us are to let our yes be yes and our no, no. James adds, "Above all, my brothers, do not swear -- not by heaven or by earth or by anything else. Let your yes be yes, and your no, no, or you will be condemned."

If anyone ever tells you that they have never told a lie in their whole life, well, you just heard one. The Psalmist tells us, "I said in my haste, all men are liars." If it was true when he penned these words, it is certainly true today. We so often want to color our lies as "white lies," but God has not changed His opinion on lying. It was the serpent's lie that instigated Eve to begin the chain of events that led to man's condemnation. We need to remember that Jesus in his Revelation said to John, "All liars shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death."

Fortunately we believe in forgiveness, for as the Psalmist said, "If thou, LORD, shouldest mark iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand? But there is forgiveness with thee, that thou mayest be feared."

Since it is a sin to lie, let us be careful what we say. The tongue can be a fire, a world of iniquity, so the Psalms suggest we keep our mouth with a bridle and set a watch on the door of our lips. David declared, "I am resolved that my mouth will not sin."

The warning of Christ that our words will justify or condemn us is confirmed by Solomon's advice that he that keepeth his mouth keepeth his life. The blessing promised is, "For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile." Paul told young Timothy, "I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not." Let us then be followers of Paul even as he was of Christ.

Robert J. Lloyd
-------

http://www.tidings.o...inute200002.htm

#25 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 12:23 PM

25 July 2009

Christ's Secret of Success

"He that spared not His own Son ... shall He not with him freely give us all things?"
Romans 8:32

"WE are often reminded that the way to the Kingdom is no easy path: the difficulties are frequently emphasized, the never-ceasing struggle between the flesh and the spirit brought home to us, and the possibility of final failure constantly stressed. Doubtless there is wisdom in having our attention directed to the principle that only by persistent effort will victory be achieved. "To him that overcometh" will Christ award the coronal wreath.

To concentrate always on present difficulties and to emphasize constantly the possibility of failure, is, however, not wise; nor is it the method recommended to us in the Scriptures. The victory secured by Christ himself -the greatest victory ever achieved - would never have been gained had he thought only of the struggle and the possibility of failure. Christ's secret of success rested on a foundation other than this. It was "for the joy set before him that he endured the cross, despising the shame", with the glorious result that "he is set down at the right hand of the throne of God" (Hebrews 12:2).

Paul likewise reveals to us the secret of his success. "This one thing I do", he says, "forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus" (Phil. 3:13).

We cannot afford to dispense with the means of success which Christ and Paul found so essential: indeed, we are admonished in this matter to be "like-minded" with Paul, and to "consider Jesus, lest we be wearied and faint in our minds".

The joy set before us! What glorious visions crowd into our minds if we allow our thoughts to dwell on this theme! Partakers of the Divine nature: equal unto the angels: made unto our God kings and priests, reigning in righteousness, ruling in judgment over a redeemed world and a ransomed earth. What greater joy could be ours than that summarized in the words, "He that overcometh shall inherit all things: and I will be his God, and he shall be my son" (Rev. 21:7).

The contemplation of the joy set before us is enhanced by the thought that it will be bestowed in no grudging spirit. Because of our constant recognition of the difficulties of the way and of the possibility of failure in the day of Christ, we may be in danger of conceiving the idea that God's bestowal of the reward must necessarily be a matter of grave concern and even of hesitating doubt. We need have no such fear. The Scriptures assure us that if we succeed in overcoming there will be no limitation of Divine graciousness in granting the reward for faithfulness.

"Fear not, little flock", says Christ to his disciples, "for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the Kingdom." What encouragement to greater endeavour do these gracious words supply!

Do we sometimes think, even whilst we allow the possibility of success in the day of Christ, of being grudgingly admitted to the Kingdom "by the skin of our teeth"? Peter has a higher conception of the Divine grace, and lifts our earthbound thoughts to a loftier plane: "For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ". There is no limit to God's grace: no suggestion of frugality or economy: these limitations belong to men, not to the Creator of heaven and earth.

Do we still hesitate to believe these things? Are we amongst those of "little faith"? When we think of our weakness and sin, our constant failure and repeated stumblings, we are moved to say, "Impossible! these things are not for us! "But that is not God's view. Listen to the marvellous declaration with which Jude closes his epistle:

"Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy; to the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.""
-------
Brother F.W. Turner
Meditations - Chapter 6

#26 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 02:49 AM

26 July 2009

"Thou art my help and my deliverer; make no tarrying, O my God.

The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand. In the fear of the LORD is strong confidence: and his children shall have a place of refuge. Who art thou, that thou shouldest be afraid of a man that shall die, and of the son of man which shall be made as grass; and forgettest the LORD thy
maker?

I am with thee to deliver thee. Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.

I will sing of thy power; yea, I will sing aloud of thy mercy in the morning: for thou hast been my defence and refuge in the day of my trouble. Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance."

Psalm 40:17; Psalm 37:23-24; Proverbs 14:26; Isaiah 51:12-13; Jeremiah 1:8; Deuteronomy 31:6; Psalm 59:16; Psalm 32:7.
-------
Compiled by Samuel Bagster (1772 - 1851)

#27 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:05 AM

27 July 2009

"In the sight of God all are sinners and their goodness is inadequate to justify them in His presence. There is only one standard of righteousness, holiness and justice, and that is Godís standard, and God will not at any time compromise that standard in order to accommodate the fickleness of men and women. Sin today is no less sinful than it was in the days of Noah or Eve. God has not evolved from a God who hates sin to a God who merely overlooks it. Human goodness compared with Godís standard of righteousness is stunted and impoverished. It is no good coming to God with our Ďscorecardí which testifies that we are decent people, we pay our debts and never harm our neighbours. In the context of respectability this may be important, but in the context of salvation it is paltry. Our bit of righteousness is no passport to Godís favour. The Bible teaches that we have to repudiate our own withered morality and confess that we do not measure up to Godís standard. This is called Repentance.

Since men and women cannot be received on the basis of their natural goodness, which is inadequate and unfair, God receives them on the basis of their faith. The faith they show is counted by Him as righteousness. This is the great doctrine of justification by faith and explains why it is impossible to come to God faithless, and why those who come must believe. In order to show how the great principle operates the Apostle Paul takes the case of one man, Abraham. Abraham received certain promises from God which, at the time they were spoken, appeared, humanly speaking, to be impossible of fulfilment. But Abraham had faith in the promises in spite of adverse appearances and God counted this for righteousness:

"He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God; and being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform. And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness. Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him; but for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead; who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification" (Romans 4:20-25).

Paul insists that the principles which operated in the case of Abraham are true for every man who will come to God for salvation."
-------
Dennis Gillett
One Bible, Many Churches - Does it Matter What We Believe?

#28 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:01 PM

28 July 2009

"Act and think as if you are in a movie,
and everything you do and say is caught on that movie,
even your thoughts.
Why? Because God is recording everything we do!"
- Samantha Bailey

"O LORD, you have searched me and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD."
Psalm 139:1-4

#29 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:00 AM

29 July 2009

"Patience is the ability to count down before blasting off."
- Unknown

"A fool vents all his feelings, but a wise man holds them back." KJV
Proverbs 29:11

"A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control." NIV
Proverbs 29:11

#30 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:41 AM

30 July 2009

"Hope is the feeling you have
that the feeling you have isn't permanent."
- Jean Kerr

"Why are you in despair, O my soul?
And why have you become disturbed within me?
Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him For the help of His presence.
O my God, my soul is in despair within me; Therefore I remember You."
Psalm 42:5-6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users