#1 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:23 AM

First Portion

Joshua 12

12:1 Now these are the kings of the land, whom the children of Israel struck, and possessed their land beyond the Jordan toward the sunrise, from the valley of the Arnon to Mount Hermon, and all the Arabah eastward: 12:2 Sihon king of the Amorites, who lived in Heshbon, and ruled from Aroer, which is on the edge of the valley of the Arnon, and the middle of the valley, and half Gilead, even to the river Jabbok, the border of the children of Ammon; 12:3 and the Arabah to the sea of Chinneroth, eastward, and to the sea of the Arabah, even the Salt Sea, eastward, the way to Beth Jeshimoth; and on the south, under the slopes of Pisgah: 12:4 and the border of Og king of Bashan, of the remnant of the Rephaim, who lived at Ashtaroth and at Edrei, 12:5 and ruled in Mount Hermon, and in Salecah, and in all Bashan, to the border of the Geshurites and the Maacathites, and half Gilead, the border of Sihon king of Heshbon.

12:6 Moses the servant of Yahweh and the children of Israel struck them. Moses the servant of Yahweh gave it for a possession to the Reubenites, and the Gadites, and the half-tribe of Manasseh. 12:7 These are the kings of the land whom Joshua and the children of Israel struck beyond the Jordan westward, from Baal Gad in the valley of Lebanon even to Mount Halak, that goes up to Seir. Joshua gave it to the tribes of Israel for a possession according to their divisions; 12:8 in the hill country, and in the lowland, and in the Arabah, and in the slopes, and in the wilderness, and in the South; the Hittite, the Amorite, and the Canaanite, the Perizzite, the Hivite, and the Jebusite: 12:9 the king of Jericho, one; the king of Ai, which is beside Bethel, one; 12:10 the king of Jerusalem, one; the king of Hebron, one; 12:11 the king of Jarmuth, one; the king of Lachish, one; 12:12 the king of Eglon, one; the king of Gezer, one; 12:13 the king of Debir, one; the king of Geder, one; 12:14 the king of Hormah, one; the king of Arad, one; 12:15 the king of Libnah, one; the king of Adullam, one; 12:16 the king of Makkedah, one; the king of Bethel, one; 12:17 the king of Tappuah, one; the king of Hepher, one; 12:18 the king of Aphek, one; the king of Lassharon, one; 12:19 the king of Madon, one; the king of Hazor, one; 12:20 the king of Shimron Meron, one; the king of Achshaph, one; 12:21 the king of Taanach, one; the king of Megiddo, one; 12:22 the king of Kedesh, one; the king of Jokneam in Carmel, one; 12:23 the king of Dor in the height of Dor, one; the king of Goiim in Gilgal, one; 12:24 the king of Tirzah, one: all the kings thirty-one.

#2 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:24 AM

Second Portion

Isaiah 16

16:1 Send the lambs for the ruler of the land from Selah to the wilderness, to the mountain of the daughter of Zion. 16:2 For it will be that as wandering birds, as a scattered nest, so will the daughters of Moab be at the fords of the Arnon. 16:3 Give counsel! Execute justice! Make your shade like the night in the midst of the noonday! Hide the outcasts! Donít betray the fugitive! 16:4 Let my outcasts dwell with you! As for Moab, be a hiding place for him from the face of the destroyer. For the extortioner is brought to nothing. Destruction ceases. The oppressors are consumed out of the land. 16:5 A throne will be established in loving kindness. One will sit on it in truth, in the tent of David, judging, seeking justice, and swift to do righteousness.

16:6 We have heard of the pride of Moab, that he is very proud; even of his arrogance, his pride, and his wrath. His boastings are nothing. 16:7 Therefore Moab will wail for Moab. Everyone will wail. You will mourn for the raisin cakes of Kir Hareseth, utterly stricken. 16:8 For the fields of Heshbon languish with the vine of Sibmah. The lords of the nations have broken down its choice branches, which reached even to Jazer, which wandered into the wilderness. Its shoots were spread abroad. They passed over the sea. 16:9 Therefore I will weep with the weeping of Jazer for the vine of Sibmah. I will water you with my tears, Heshbon, and Elealeh: for on your summer fruits and on your harvest the battle shout has fallen. 16:10 Gladness is taken away, and joy out of the fruitful field; and in the vineyards there will be no singing, neither joyful noise. Nobody will tread out wine in the presses. I have made the shouting stop. 16:11 Therefore my heart sounds like a harp for Moab, and my inward parts for Kir Heres. 16:12 It will happen that when Moab presents himself, when he wearies himself on the high place, and comes to his sanctuary to pray, that he will not prevail. 16:13 This is the word that Yahweh spoke concerning Moab in time past. 16:14 But now Yahweh has spoken, saying, ďWithin three years, as a worker bound by contract would count them, the glory of Moab shall be brought into contempt, with all his great multitude; and the remnant will be very small and feeble.Ē

#3 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:25 AM

Third Portion

2 Timothy 2

2:1 You therefore, my child, be strengthened in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. 2:2 The things which you have heard from me among many witnesses, commit the same to faithful men, who will be able to teach others also. 2:3 You therefore must endure hardship, as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. 2:4 No soldier on duty entangles himself in the affairs of life, that he may please him who enrolled him as a soldier. 2:5 Also, if anyone competes in athletics, he isnít crowned unless he has competed by the rules. 2:6 The farmers who labor must be the first to get a share of the crops. 2:7 Consider what I say, and may the Lord give you understanding in all things.

2:8 Remember Jesus Christ, risen from the dead, of the seed of David, according to my Good News, 2:9 in which I suffer hardship to the point of chains as a criminal. But Godís word isnít chained. 2:10 Therefore I endure all things for the chosen onesí sake, that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory. 2:11 This saying is faithful:

ďFor if we died with him,
we will also live with him.
2:12 If we endure,
we will also reign with him.
If we deny him,
he also will deny us.
2:13 If we are faithless,
he remains faithful.
He canít deny himself.Ē

2:14 Remind them of these things, charging them in the sight of the Lord, that they donít argue about words, to no profit, to the subverting of those who hear.

2:15 Give diligence to present yourself approved by God, a workman who doesnít need to be ashamed, properly handling the Word of Truth. 2:16 But shun empty chatter, for it will go further in ungodliness, 2:17 and those words will consume like gangrene, of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus; 2:18 men who have erred concerning the truth, saying that the resurrection is already past, and overthrowing the faith of some. 2:19 However Godís firm foundation stands, having this seal, ďThe Lord knows those who are his,Ē and, ďLet every one who names the name of the Lord depart from unrighteousness.Ē 2:20 Now in a large house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of clay. Some are for honor, and some for dishonor. 2:21 If anyone therefore purges himself from these, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified, and suitable for the masterís use, prepared for every good work.

2:22 Flee from youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. 2:23 But refuse foolish and ignorant questionings, knowing that they generate strife. 2:24 The Lordís servant must not quarrel, but be gentle towards all, able to teach, patient, 2:25 in gentleness correcting those who oppose him: perhaps God may give them repentance leading to a full knowledge of the truth, 2:26 and they may recover themselves out of the devilís snare, having been taken captive by him to his will.

World English Bible - (WEB) - Public Domain

#4 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:09 PM

26 May 2009

Joshua 12
Isaiah 16
2 Timothy 2

#5 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:33 AM

26 May 2010

Joshua 12
Isaiah 16
2 Timothy 2

SOURCE OF STRENGTH

Physical strength is necessary and much sought after. It is sought for different purposes; work being the main one; another, to excel in sport. Strength of mind is equally, if not more, essential. There are those who train their minds so that they can earn a good living, sometimes a very good living. Some, so they can have the satisfaction of bossing other people around!

How many give as much thought to spiritual strength? It is much lower down the list of priorities for most people. From God’s perspective it should be the top priority, it should be the foundation on which all the others are built.

Our reading in Timothy this morning prompted this line of thought. “My child,” Paul wrote, “be strengthened by the grace that is in Christ Jesus.” [2 Timothy 2:1]. How can grace strengthen us? We all need to sense the grace, the loving and merciful attitude of our Lord and the Father toward us. In what way does that give us strength?

One of the hardest things for the medical profession to treat is depression. A person is overwhelmed by some happening in their lives and there is no real inner strength to cope with it: there is sometimes a sense of guilt, or a sense of failure. Notice the way Paul words his comment, “the grace that is in Christ” – to receive spiritual strength one has to be IN Christ, to have laid the foundation of a relationship with him.

In 2 Timothy 1 we read how the Lord “saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works, but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ before the ages began” [2 Timothy 1:9]. It is not our purpose in living, it is his purpose – a purpose he had from the very beginning of all that exists!

We need to see his purpose and how we can direct our lives to fit in with his purpose for us to be an effective part of his building,, his spiritual temple. This does not mean we are a sort of robot! Not at all, we have our freewill. He looks to see how we use that freewill. Notice how “purpose” and grace” are linked together in the verse above. Are we in tune with his purpose? If so, then there is the strength of grace in abundance. That is the point Paul makes in his first letter. “the grace of our Lord overflowed for me … ” [1 Timothy 1:14] Let us get our lives in tune with the purpose of God as fully as we can.
-------
- DC

#6 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:48 AM

26 May 2011

Joshua 12
Isaiah 16
2 Timothy 2

"IF WE HAVE DIED WITH HIM, WE WILL ALSO LIVE WITH HIM"

Among the believers in the First Century there was in circulation what is called the 'sayings of the faithful'. There was no opportunity for the great majority to learn to read and write so certain sayings were memorized. Some persons with exceptional abilities of memory are said to have memorized all the Psalms. One can be surprised when meeting some so called 'illiterate' people in India today as to how well they have trained their memory.

Paul includes one of the 'sayings' that was in circulation in the letter we read today. First he writes, "I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they may obtain the salvation that that is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory" [2 Timothy 2:10] and then quotes this saying. The first part is, "If we have died with him, we will also live with him."

We die with him when we are baptised. Going down under the water and then coming out again is a symbol of his death and resurrection – we are acknowledging that his death was for us. The saying then says, we must "endure" - and this reflects the words of Jesus, "the one who endures to the end will be saved." [Matthew 10:22] Jesus also said that "the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life" [Matthew 7:14]

Next, the saying that Paul is quoting has these words; "if we endure we will also reign with him". Wonderful – beyond our imagining! But the saying concludes with the negative picture of those who fail. "if we deny him, he will also deny us; if we are faithless, he remains faithful – for he cannot deny himself" [2 Timothy 2:12, 13] When Jesus had cause to say to his hearers, "O you of little faith" [Matthew 6:30] he never gave up and thousands were prepared to die with him after he had died for them.

Tragically as Paul completes this epistle he mentions one who had earlier been named as a "fellow labourer" [Philemon 1:24] but now he has to write of him, "for Demas, in love with this present world, has deserted me …" [2 Timothy 4:10]. What is there in the world today to "love"? !!

May all those who read these lines, "die" with Christ in baptism, if they have not already done so, and then "endure", helped by their daily reading and meditation on the divine word which plays an essential role in aiding us to endure to the end.
-------
- DC

#7 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:06 AM

26 May 2012

Joshua 12
Isaiah 16
2 Timothy 2

" ... RATHER THAN LOVERS OF GOD"

“But understand this,” that is how our reading in 2 Timothy 3 starts; Paul’s thoughts flow on from the previous chapter, 2 Timothy 2. Chapter 3 is familiar to most as a chapter often used at talks about “the last days”. The chapter brings out two particular points. It states in the first verse that there will be times of stress, when life is perilous “in the last days” and second, that “all scripture is breathed out (inspired) by God” and is therefore “profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness” [2 Timothy 3:17] and makes us “wise for salvation” and that Timothy has had the benefit of being acquainted with them from childhood [2 Timothy 3:15] as we commented yesterday.

This shows the primary reason why we should read the Bible every day. The Bible reading system most use is invaluable for it is not wise to only read the parts we find interesting. We need a balanced meal.

Looking back again at the first verse, we see it is a flow on of thought from 2 Timothy 2, (men have put in the chapter breaks). Paul is primarily talking about the attitude among believers in the last days! Although it also applies to some extent to the world at large, it is believers who will be “lovers of self … lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power” [2 Timothy 3:2,5] While we can point to much evidence of this among the main churches and the bad press they often receive, it is vital we keep focussed on our own hearts and attitudes. The reality that we are “lovers of God” must become evident in all our thoughts and, as a result, will show in all the things we do.

The warning “the time is coming” is again put very frankly in 2 Timothy 4, a time when “people will not endure sound teaching … and turn away from listening to the truth …” [2 Timothy 4:3-4] Finally, Paul completes his last letter by saying he is aware he is about to die. How wonderfully he spells out his conviction of the future in store for him in 2 Timothy 4:7-8; “I have fought the good fight … I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to …” To you? To me? Let us keep the faith and make sure we are “lovers of God.”
-------
- DC

#8 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

26 May 2013

Joshua 12
Isaiah 16
2 Timothy 2

"IF … WE WILL ALSO LIVE WITH HIM"

Among the believers in the First Century there was in circulation what are called the ‘sayings of the faithful’. There was no opportunity for the great majority to learn to read and write so certain sayings were memorized. Some persons with exceptional abilities of memory are said to have memorized all the Psalms. Mission workers have been surprised when meeting some so called ‘illiterate’ people in India to find how fully they have trained their memory.

Paul includes one of the ‘sayings’ that was in circulation among the believers in the chapter we read today. First he writes, “I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory” [2 Timothy 2:10] and then quotes this saying: the first part being, “If we have died with him, we will also live with him.”

We die with him when we are baptised. Going down under the water and then coming out again is a symbol of his death and resurrection – we are acknowledging that his death was for us. The saying then stresses the need to “endure” – it surely reflects the words of Jesus, “the one who endures to the end will be saved.” [Matthew 10:22] The actual saying Paul is quoting is - “if we endure we will also reign with him”.

Wonderful – beyond our imagining! But the saying concludes with the negative picture of those who fail. “if we deny him, he will also deny us; if we are faithless, he remains faithful – for he cannot deny himself” [2 Timothy 2:12-13] When Jesus had cause to say to his hearers, “O you of little faith” [Matthew 6:30] he nevertheless did not give up – wonderfully countless thousands have been prepared to die with him after he had died for them.

It is sad that as Paul completes this epistle he needs to mention one who he had earlier named as a “fellow labourer” [Philemon 1:24] but now he has to write of him, “for Demas, in love with this present world, has deserted me …” [2 Timothy 4:10]. What is there in the world today to “love”? !

May all those who read these lines, “die” with Christ in baptism - and then “endure”, helped by their daily reading and meditation on the divine word - and their fellowship together - which plays an essential role in aiding us to endure to the end so that we “will also live with him.”
-------
- DC

#9 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:00 PM

26 May 2014

Joshua 12
Isaiah 16
2 Timothy 2

“IF WE ENDURE…”

We continue with our reading and reflections on the final epistle that Paul wrote: our chapter [ 2 Timothy 2] begins with his encouragement to Timothy, “my child, be strengthened by the grace that is in Christ …” He encourages him to “share in the suffering as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.” [2 Timothy 2:3]

Paul is “bound with chains as a criminal”, but says, “the word of God is not bound.” [2 Timothy 2:9] Today, with widespread translation and printing and websites, the word of God is more unbound than ever before, but how few are taking notice of it, especially in western countries which are overflowing with fleshly distractions and “the love of money.” Paul and Timothy are examples to us; Paul declares, “I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.” [2 Timothy 2:10]

Before his conversion Paul served himself, developing his ego as a Pharisee, blind to “the way” – the way of Christ; the human ambitions he then had, in a sense, “died” outside Damascus. Among the early believers inspirational sayings began to circulate and Paul includes one in this letter, “The saying is trustworthy, for: ‘If we have died with him, we will also live with him; if we endure, we will also reign with him.” [2 Timothy 2:11-12]

This saying remains totally true today, have we “died with” him? Our thoughts immediately go to Paul’s words to the Colossians, “Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness … for on account of these the wrath of God is coming” [Colossians 3:5-6]

As the moral restraints on our world totally disintegrate, even more endurance will be required – and our endurance will need to include the confession of our faith in Christ for 2 Timothy 2:12 in today’s chapter concludes Paul’s quotation of the ‘saying’ – “if we deny him, he also will deny us; if we are faithless, he remains faithful …” to his promise that “if we endure, we will also reign with him.”
-------
- DC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users