#1 Dan2

Dan2

Lambda

• Christadelphian
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:02 PM

Genesis 2:24

Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

The events of Genesis 2 describe a union of a man and woman. The second part of this verse, ("and shall cleave unto his wife and they shall be one flesh"), directly relates to these specific events. That is clear and easy to understand.

But does the first part of the verse, "a man leave his father and his mother" have any precedent? The verse says, "Therefore, (i.e. because of what has been described in Genesis 2), a man shall leave his father and mother..."

What, (if anything), happened in Genesis 2 that relates to a man leaving his father and mother?

Many thanks.

Dan

"Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you."
Psalm 73:25

#2 Jeremy

Jeremy

Order of the Golden Pedant

• Christadelphian Armoury
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:13 PM

What, (if anything), happened in Genesis 2 that relates to a man leaving his father and mother?

Nothing: Adam didn't have a mother and father like we do. I would say the "therefore" means "so this is what you do" - in other words, a marriage between a man and a woman is the start of a new family unit, in which both parties leave the immediate confines of the family in which they previously were, and start anew.
And, behold, I am with thee, and will keep thee in all places whither thou goest, and will bring thee again into this land; for I will not leave thee, until I have done that which I have spoken to thee of.

#3 Dan2

Dan2

Lambda

• Christadelphian
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:46 PM

Nothing: Adam didn't have a mother and father like we do. I would say the "therefore" means "so this is what you do" - in other words, a marriage between a man and a woman is the start of a new family unit, in which both parties leave the immediate confines of the family in which they previously were, and start anew.

Agreed. Adam wasn't in the same situation as us in the way you have desribed.

But is there anything in the text that is a type or shadow of the principle?

A possibility: Adam was formed from the "dust of the ground", (lit. dust out of the ground). He was then placed in the garden. In a way, he left his heritage, the ground, and went to be joined to a companion. The ground, 'adamah', appears to be the natural 'father and mother' of the man. Is this a symbol that holds water or am I reading too much into it?

Thanks

"Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you."

#4 luke

luke

Tau

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:20 PM

I think there is something in Gen. 2 that relates to a man leaving his father and mother.

Gen. 2 talks about how there was no partner found for Adam, so God makes a partner out of Adam himself, and this being is a perfect compliment to Adam - in effect, God splits Adam out into two beings, and when the two beings are put together again then they become one. So, for this reason - because a man and a woman are only "half" a being without each other - a man leaves his family and joins to his wife and they become one being.

#5 Dan2

Dan2

Lambda

• Christadelphian
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:42 PM

I think there is something in Gen. 2 that relates to a man leaving his father and mother.

Gen. 2 talks about how there was no partner found for Adam, so God makes a partner out of Adam himself, and this being is a perfect compliment to Adam - in effect, God splits Adam out into two beings, and when the two beings are put together again then they become one. So, for this reason - because a man and a woman are only "half" a being without each other - a man leaves his family and joins to his wife and they become one being.

Thanks Luke. I guess the practical reasons behind this verse are as you have pointed out.

Perhaps I should be a bit clearer about my initial question, and my subsequent post.

Understanding that Jesus cites this passage in relation to practical things as already pointed out, Paul in Ephesians 5 uses the same verse but "speaks concerning Christ and the ecclesia". There is therefore the surface (practical) meaning, but also an underlying layer.

The union of the first man and woman is a type of the union between Christ and his bride in the future - largely a well-known concept. Therefore the events of Genesis 2 are a foreshadowing of that future marriage.

I guess the first question I should have asked is: In what way does Genesis 2:24 relate to Christ? How does he, the fulfillment of the type, the true man created in God's image, "leave his father and mother"?

Perhaps to understand this, the relevance of Genesis 2:24 in its own context would help...hence, the initial question.

The concept of the 'ground', (Heb. the 'adamah' - related to man, 'adam'), symbolising the nature of man is one which I am currently trying to understand and am exploring. Bro Andrew Perry's book 'Beginnings and Endings', (an excellent book!), deals with this extensively, but more in relation to Genesis 3, "cursed in the ground for thy sake", demonstrating that the ground which was cursed, naturally bringing forth thorns and thistles, is a symbol for the sin-prone nature we have.

As an extention of this, I have wondered whether the emphasis of Gen2 concerns the 'ground' and what was made out of the ground, (i.e. man), and whether, in type, it refers to Jesus, the man, leaving his natural heritage, the ground (human sin-prone nature), to be joined to his bride. The only way we can leave the ground is by following his example, ("forget also thine own people, and also thy father's house" - Psalm 45:10), and by being formed "out of" Jesus, to be a helper, "as before him", i.e. in his image.

I would appreciate any comments as I'm dubious of trusting my own thoughts!

Thanks
Dan

#6 manmountain

manmountain

Delta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 04:24 PM

Being a father of 3 I have been researching this passage and it is very hard to find anything on it. My son thought that you almost ex-communicate your family and cling to your wife.

In this world we have today the culture is so far off of scripture even in the churches and synagogues and even in the mosques. I feel we are so far off scripture that we are in very scary times
to me. The Apostate Church has been here a while.

Why would this be put in the scripture to signify separation from family when the scriptures as a whole promotes the family. What I have found is:

1. This might mean more than a simple statement of personal relationship or ex-communication or authority of the Father and Mother, but a custom of that time of the man becoming part of the wife's family.
2. With the New Testament (Apostolic Scriptures) using the same verse seems to throw a curve to it. Christ used the parable of the lamp stands, referring to his return. In that he uses the term "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." Mark 13:32. In that parable he is talking to the people in their culture about the courtship (Betrothal) of a man and a woman. Here a son is to marry a woman, either one he found or scripturally one his father found for him and Christ uses the analogy of his return to the marriage of a couple. The groom goes and adds on to his fathers house and only the father knows when the add-on is finished and the son can go fetch his wife.

If you look at scripture, it is based around the family. Families stuck together...not all the time, sin always seems to get a foothold, but as a whole. In many counties there are 2, 3 sometimes 4 generations under one roof. Similar to how the Amish live as a family unit is to what we as Scripture believers should live.

Instead our "churches" have singularized (secularized) us into believing we are our own little "gods" on this earth and Satan is winning this battle, but we know the end and who wins.....question is are we ready and are we living our lives as God has shown us.

Our commandments show us the importance of the mother and father. This commandment is the only one with a promise. So today we believe you listen to them until you are 18 and that is it. and for the next 30 40 years they just waste away and someday you put them in a rest home.............Read the Scriptures.............Research till you cannot research no more!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users