#1 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:22 AM

First Portion

Numbers 26

26:1 It happened after the plague, that Yahweh spoke to Moses and to Eleazar the son of Aaron the priest, saying, 26:2 ďTake a census of all the congregation of the children of Israel, from twenty years old and upward, by their fathersí houses, all who are able to go forth to war in Israel.Ē 26:3 Moses and Eleazar the priest spoke with them in the plains of Moab by the Jordan at Jericho, saying, 26:4 ďTake a census, from twenty years old and upward; as Yahweh commanded Moses and the children of Israel.Ē

These are those that came out of the land of Egypt. 26:5 Reuben, the firstborn of Israel; the sons of Reuben: of Hanoch, the family of the Hanochites; of Pallu, the family of the Palluites; 26:6 of Hezron, the family of the Hezronites; of Carmi, the family of the Carmites. 26:7 These are the families of the Reubenites; and those who were numbered of them were forty-three thousand seven hundred thirty. 26:8 The sons of Pallu: Eliab. 26:9 The sons of Eliab: Nemuel, and Dathan, and Abiram. These are that Dathan and Abiram, who were called of the congregation, who strove against Moses and against Aaron in the company of Korah, when they strove against Yahweh, 26:10 and the earth opened its mouth, and swallowed them up together with Korah, when that company died; what time the fire devoured two hundred fifty men, and they became a sign. 26:11 Notwithstanding, the sons of Korah didnít die. 26:12 The sons of Simeon after their families: of Nemuel, the family of the Nemuelites; of Jamin, the family of the Jaminites; of Jachin, the family of the Jachinites; 26:13 of Zerah, the family of the Zerahites; of Shaul, the family of the Shaulites. 26:14 These are the families of the Simeonites, twenty-two thousand two hundred. 26:15 The sons of Gad after their families: of Zephon, the family of the Zephonites; of Haggi, the family of the Haggites; of Shuni, the family of the Shunites; 26:16 of Ozni, the family of the Oznites; of Eri, the family of the Erites; 26:17 of Arod, the family of the Arodites; of Areli, the family of the Arelites. 26:18 These are the families of the sons of Gad according to those who were numbered of them, forty thousand and five hundred. 26:19 The sons of Judah: Er and Onan; and Er and Onan died in the land of Canaan. 26:20 The sons of Judah after their families were: of Shelah, the family of the Shelanites; of Perez, the family of the Perezites; of Zerah, the family of the Zerahites. 26:21 The sons of Perez were: of Hezron, the family of the Hezronites; of Hamul, the family of the Hamulites. 26:22 These are the families of Judah according to those who were numbered of them, seventy-six thousand five hundred. 26:23 The sons of Issachar after their families: of Tola, the family of the Tolaites; of Puvah, the family of the Punites; 26:24 of Jashub, the family of the Jashubites; of Shimron, the family of the Shimronites. 26:25 These are the families of Issachar according to those who were numbered of them, sixty-four thousand three hundred. 26:26 The sons of Zebulun after their families: of Sered, the family of the Seredites; of Elon, the family of the Elonites; of Jahleel, the family of the Jahleelites. 26:27 These are the families of the Zebulunites according to those who were numbered of them, sixty thousand five hundred. 26:28 The sons of Joseph after their families: Manasseh and Ephraim. 26:29 The sons of Manasseh: of Machir, the family of the Machirites; and Machir became the father of Gilead; of Gilead, the family of the Gileadites. 26:30 These are the sons of Gilead: of Iezer, the family of the Iezerites; of Helek, the family of the Helekites; 26:31 and Asriel, the family of the Asrielites; and Shechem, the family of the Shechemites; 26:32 and Shemida, the family of the Shemidaites; and Hepher, the family of the Hepherites. 26:33 Zelophehad the son of Hepher had no sons, but daughters: and the names of the daughters of Zelophehad were Mahlah, and Noah, Hoglah, Milcah, and Tirzah. 26:34 These are the families of Manasseh; and those who were numbered of them were fifty-two thousand seven hundred. 26:35 These are the sons of Ephraim after their families: of Shuthelah, the family of the Shuthelahites; of Becher, the family of the Becherites; of Tahan, the family of the Tahanites. 26:36 These are the sons of Shuthelah: of Eran, the family of the Eranites. 26:37 These are the families of the sons of Ephraim according to those who were numbered of them, thirty-two thousand five hundred. These are the sons of Joseph after their families. 26:38 The sons of Benjamin after their families: of Bela, the family of the Belaites; of Ashbel, the family of the Ashbelites; of Ahiram, the family of the Ahiramites; 26:39 of Shephupham, the family of the Shuphamites; of Hupham, the family of the Huphamites. 26:40 The sons of Bela were Ard and Naaman: the family of the Ardites; of Naaman, the family of the Naamites. 26:41 These are the sons of Benjamin after their families; and those who were numbered of them were forty-five thousand six hundred. 26:42 These are the sons of Dan after their families: of Shuham, the family of the Shuhamites. These are the families of Dan after their families. 26:43 All the families of the Shuhamites, according to those who were numbered of them, were sixty-four thousand four hundred. 26:44 The sons of Asher after their families: of Imnah, the family of the Imnites; of Ishvi, the family of the Ishvites; of Beriah, the family of the Berites. 26:45 Of the sons of Beriah: of Heber, the family of the Heberites; of Malchiel, the family of the Malchielites. 26:46 The name of the daughter of Asher was Serah. 26:47 These are the families of the sons of Asher according to those who were numbered of them, fifty-three thousand and four hundred. 26:48 The sons of Naphtali after their families: of Jahzeel, the family of the Jahzeelites; of Guni, the family of the Gunites; 26:49 of Jezer, the family of the Jezerites; of Shillem, the family of the Shillemites. 26:50 These are the families of Naphtali according to their families; and those who were numbered of them were forty-five thousand four hundred. 26:51 These are those who were numbered of the children of Israel, six hundred one thousand seven hundred thirty. 26:52 Yahweh spoke to Moses, saying, 26:53 ďTo these the land shall be divided for an inheritance according to the number of names. 26:54 To the more you shall give the more inheritance, and to the fewer you shall give the less inheritance: to everyone according to those who were numbered of him shall his inheritance be given. 26:55 Notwithstanding, the land shall be divided by lot: according to the names of the tribes of their fathers they shall inherit. 26:56 According to the lot shall their inheritance be divided between the more and the fewer.Ē

26:57 These are those who were numbered of the Levites after their families: of Gershon, the family of the Gershonites; of Kohath, the family of the Kohathites; of Merari, the family of the Merarites. 26:58 These are the families of Levi: the family of the Libnites, the family of the Hebronites, the family of the Mahlites, the family of the Mushites, the family of the Korahites. Kohath became the father of Amram. 26:59 The name of Amramís wife was Jochebed, the daughter of Levi, who was born to Levi in Egypt: and she bore to Amram Aaron and Moses, and Miriam their sister. 26:60 To Aaron were born Nadab and Abihu, Eleazar and Ithamar. 26:61 Nadab and Abihu died, when they offered strange fire before Yahweh. 26:62 Those who were numbered of them were twenty-three thousand, every male from a month old and upward: for they were not numbered among the children of Israel, because there was no inheritance given them among the children of Israel. 26:63 These are those who were numbered by Moses and Eleazar the priest, who numbered the children of Israel in the plains of Moab by the Jordan at Jericho. 26:64 But among these there was not a man of them who were numbered by Moses and Aaron the priest, who numbered the children of Israel in the wilderness of Sinai. 26:65 For Yahweh had said of them, They shall surely die in the wilderness. There was not left a man of them, except Caleb the son of Jephunneh, and Joshua the son of Nun.

#2 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:23 AM

Second Portion

Proverbs 18

18:1 An unfriendly man pursues selfishness,
and defies all sound judgment.
18:2 A fool has no delight in understanding,
but only in revealing his own opinion.
18:3 When wickedness comes, contempt also comes,
and with shame comes disgrace.
18:4 The words of a manís mouth are like deep waters.
The fountain of wisdom is like a flowing brook.
18:5 To be partial to the faces of the wicked is not good,
nor to deprive the innocent of justice.
18:6 A foolís lips come into strife,
and his mouth invites beatings.
18:7 A foolís mouth is his destruction,
and his lips are a snare to his soul.
18:8 The words of a gossip are like dainty morsels:
they go down into a personís innermost parts.
18:9 One who is slack in his work
is brother to him who is a master of destruction.
18:10 The name of Yahweh is a strong tower:
the righteous run to him, and are safe.
18:11 The rich manís wealth is his strong city,
like an unscalable wall in his own imagination.
18:12 Before destruction the heart of man is proud,
but before honor is humility.
18:13 He who gives answer before he hears,
that is folly and shame to him.
18:14 A manís spirit will sustain him in sickness,
but a crushed spirit, who can bear?
18:15 The heart of the discerning gets knowledge.
The ear of the wise seeks knowledge.
18:16 A manís gift makes room for him,
and brings him before great men.
18:17 He who pleads his cause first seems right;
until another comes and questions him.
18:18 The lot settles disputes,
and keeps strong ones apart.
18:19 A brother offended is more difficult than a fortified city;
and disputes are like the bars of a castle.
18:20 A manís stomach is filled with the fruit of his mouth.
With the harvest of his lips he is satisfied.
18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue;
those who love it will eat its fruit.
18:22 Whoever finds a wife finds a good thing,
and obtains favor of Yahweh.
18:23 The poor plead for mercy,
but the rich answer harshly.
18:24 A man of many companions may be ruined,
but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

#3 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:25 AM

Third Portion

Philippians 1; 2

1:1 Paul and Timothy, servants of Jesus Christ;

To all the saints in Christ Jesus who are at Philippi, with the overseers and servants: 1:2 Grace to you, and peace from God, our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ. 1:3 I thank my God whenever I remember you, 1:4 always in every request of mine on behalf of you all making my requests with joy, 1:5 for your partnership in furtherance of the Good News from the first day until now; 1:6 being confident of this very thing, that he who began a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ. 1:7 It is even right for me to think this way on behalf of all of you, because I have you in my heart, because, both in my bonds and in the defense and confirmation of the Good News, you all are partakers with me of grace. 1:8 For God is my witness, how I long after all of you in the tender mercies of Christ Jesus.

1:9 This I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and all discernment; 1:10 so that you may approve the things that are excellent; that you may be sincere and without offense to the day of Christ; 1:11 being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.

1:12 Now I desire to have you know, brothers, that the things which happened to me have turned out rather to the progress of the Good News; 1:13 so that it became evident to the whole palace guard, and to all the rest, that my bonds are in Christ; 1:14 and that most of the brothers in the Lord, being confident through my bonds, are more abundantly bold to speak the word of God without fear. 1:15 Some indeed preach Christ even out of envy and strife, and some also out of good will. 1:16 The former insincerely preach Christ from selfish ambition, thinking that they add affliction to my chains; 1:17 but the latter out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the Good News.

1:18 What does it matter? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed. I rejoice in this, yes, and will rejoice. 1:19 For I know that this will turn out to my salvation, through your supplication and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, 1:20 according to my earnest expectation and hope, that I will in no way be disappointed, but with all boldness, as always, now also Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life, or by death. 1:21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. 1:22 But if I live on in the flesh, this will bring fruit from my work; yet I don't know what I will choose. 1:23 But I am in a dilemma between the two, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better. 1:24 Yet, to remain in the flesh is more needful for your sake. 1:25 Having this confidence, I know that I will remain, yes, and remain with you all, for your progress and joy in the faith, 1:26 that your rejoicing may abound in Christ Jesus in me through my presence with you again.

1:27 Only let your way of life be worthy of the Good News of Christ, that, whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of your state, that you stand firm in one spirit, with one soul striving for the faith of the Good News; 1:28 and in nothing frightened by the adversaries, which is for them a proof of destruction, but to you of salvation, and that from God. 1:29 Because it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ, not only to believe in him, but also to suffer on his behalf, 1:30 having the same conflict which you saw in me, and now hear is in me.

#4 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:26 AM

2:1 If there is therefore any exhortation in Christ, if any consolation of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any tender mercies and compassion, 2:2 make my joy full, by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind; 2:3 doing nothing through rivalry or through conceit, but in humility, each counting others better than himself; 2:4 each of you not just looking to his own things, but each of you also to the things of others.

2:5 Have this in your mind, which was also in Christ Jesus, 2:6 who, existing in the form of God, didnít consider equality with God a thing to be grasped, 2:7 but emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being made in the likeness of men. 2:8 And being found in human form, he humbled himself, becoming obedient to death, yes, the death of the cross. 2:9 Therefore God also highly exalted him, and gave to him the name which is above every name; 2:10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, those on earth, and those under the earth, 2:11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

2:12 So then, my beloved, even as you have always obeyed, not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. 2:13 For it is God who works in you both to will and to work, for his good pleasure. 2:14 Do all things without murmurings and disputes, 2:15 that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you are seen as lights in the world, 2:16 holding up the word of life; that I may have something to boast in the day of Christ, that I didnít run in vain nor labor in vain. 2:17 Yes, and if I am poured out on the sacrifice and service of your faith, I rejoice, and rejoice with you all. 2:18 In the same way, you also rejoice, and rejoice with me.

2:19 But I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, that I also may be cheered up when I know how you are doing. 2:20 For I have no one else like-minded, who will truly care about you. 2:21 For they all seek their own, not the things of Jesus Christ. 2:22 But you know the proof of him, that, as a child serves a father, so he served with me in furtherance of the Good News. 2:23 Therefore I hope to send him at once, as soon as I see how it will go with me. 2:24 But I trust in the Lord that I myself also will come shortly. 2:25 But I counted it necessary to send to you Epaphroditus, my brother, fellow worker, fellow soldier, and your apostle and servant of my need; 2:26 since he longed for you all, and was very troubled, because you had heard that he was sick. 2:27 For indeed he was sick, nearly to death, but God had mercy on him; and not on him only, but on me also, that I might not have sorrow on sorrow. 2:28 I have sent him therefore the more diligently, that, when you see him again, you may rejoice, and that I may be the less sorrowful. 2:29 Receive him therefore in the Lord with all joy, and hold such in honor, 2:30 because for the work of Christ he came near to death, risking his life to supply that which was lacking in your service toward me.

World English Bible - (WEB) - Public Domain

#5 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:39 AM

08 April 2009

Numbers 26
Proverbs 18
Philippians 1; 2

#6 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:34 AM

08 April 2010

Numbers 26
Proverbs 18
Philippians 1; 2

"HAVE THIS MIND"

The real "us" is our minds! Oh yes, we have bodies of all shapes and sizes! But in a sense that does not count; the real 'you' and the real 'me' is what goes on inside our heads! Now this is the point that Paul is making in writing to the Philippians. If groups of believers who meet together to serve the Lord Jesus, having "the same mind" [Philippians 2:2] is very important. Note what he then goes on to write! He states that Jesus Christ set the example of the kind of mind we should have! How did he do that? What kind of mind is that?

We read that he "did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men … he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death … therefore God has highly exalted him" [Philippians 2:6-9]. Jesus set the example of the kind of mind God is looking to see. This is the kind of person we should aim to be.

Some people are confused by the thought that Jesus is the example of this! Why? Because they have been taught that Jesus is a part of God. This is a misunderstanding; he became part of God because of his obedience to God's will. Remember how he prayed, "not my will but thine be done" [Luke 22:42] Now in tomorrow's Philippians reading, we will see how we can become, in a sense, part of God. Paul writes of true believers, that their "citizenship is in heaven and from it we await a Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body …" [Philippians 3:20] and so become "priests of God and of Christ and Christ and they will reign with him … " [Revelation 20:6]

We must aim to "have this mind." Is there any other way to really live? The answer is obviously "No" – the only way to live is to recognise the real "us" and as a result focus our minds on eternal ways of thinking and living.
-------
Just a reminder that we nearly always quote from the ESV (English Standard Version) which translates from the original languages in a fundamental way, but some modern versions are often freer in the way they translate and their bias in believing that there is a Trinity of 3 persons, of which the Bible knows nothing, can influence their translation.
-------
- DC

#7 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:26 AM

08 April 2011

Numbers 26
Proverbs 18
Philippians 1; 2

"THEREFORE GOD HAS HIGHLY EXALTED HIM"

Paul’s letter to the Philippians is the most positive of all his letters because there were fewer problems in Philippi than other places. He asks them to “complete my joy by being of the same mind … being in full accord … do nothing from rivalry and conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves” [Philippians 2:2,3]

This is an attitude that is completely different to normal human attitudes, the worst examples of which we see in political circles, but sadly, some measure of it also occurs amongst among those who claim the name of Christ. We read a few days ago of Paul’s lament, “I am in the anguish of childbirth until Christ be formed in you!” [Galatians 4:19]. Christ in only formed in us when we really become like Christ with a submissive attitude, this is the point he makes in this chapter in Philippians.

Paul next points out the affect that Christ-likeness should have, “Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.” [Philippians 2:4] He gives Christ as the example. Jesus grew up knowing that God was his father, he showed this as a 12 year old in the temple [Luke 2:49] but, says Paul, he “did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing … he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on the cross.” [Philippians 2:6-8]

It was because of this wonderful spirit of submission, which is an example to us, that Paul stresses what this then led to; “therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him a name that is above every name” [Philippians 2:9] So Christ is the supreme example to follow. In following his example of submissive obedience we will be rewarded as our Lord was rewarded; a reward that is completed for him when “at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth … and every tongue confess that Jesus is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” [Philippians 2:10,11] It is a great pity that in later centuries this wonderful truth became confused as a “mystery” by contorted human reasoning. Let us hold fast to the inspired words of Scripture and, in this case, the example it sets before us of a wonderful spirit of submission.
-------
- DC

#8 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:03 AM

08 April 2012

Numbers 26
Proverbs 18
Philippians 1; 2

"... BUT ONLY IN EXPRESSING HIS OPINION"

We live today in a world of many voices, many opinions and many opportunities to express them. There are ‘tweets’ and ‘blogs’ in abundance on the Internet where people express their views on matters and comment on those of others. Newspapers have Opinion pages on their sites and in print. Polls are taken, especially by politicians, to see if the opinion of people about them is still good, or fairly so.

Our thoughts flowed along these lines after we read Proverbs 18 this morning and noted Proverbs 18:2, “A fool takes no pleasure in understanding but only in expressing his (or her) opinion.” Then in Proverbs 18:4 that “the fountain of wisdom is a bubbling brook” of clear fresh water for us to drink and absorb into our minds. In the final chapter of God’s word there is the invitation, “let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price” [Revelation 22:17]

God’s word provides that fountain of wisdom and as we began reading Paul’s letter to the Philippians we noted how he told them “you are all partakers with me of grace, both in my imprisonment and in the defence and confirmation of the gospel” [Philippians 1:7] The gospel was firmly established and it was now a matter of defending what had been established “and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ” [Philippians 1:10] Sadly, in the Centuries which followed, more and more followed their opinions than going to the fountain for pure water.

Paul goes on to tell them he longs to “hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel” [Philippians 1:27] You are to realise, he tells them that you must “work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.” [Philippians 2:12-13] Let us ‘stand firm’ so that it will be our great joy on the day of judgement – to see the source of that pure water that we have held on to - so it has guided us throughout our life from the day we first drank of it.
-------
- DC

#9 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

08 April 2013

Numbers 26
Proverbs 18
Philippians 1; 2

“EVERY TONGUE CONFESS THAT …”

Today’s chapter of Paul’s letter to the Philippians, Philippians 2, contains a meaningful exposition of the relationship between God and Jesus Christ. Philippians 2:5-11 need to be read in context to see all the factors in their relationship with each other. Paul tells us Jesus was in “the form of God” - what does he mean?

Paul then says he “did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant” These words lead us to recall the temptation of Jesus when God’s spirit drove him into the wilderness to be tested [Luke 4:1-13]. He resisted the temptation to use the unlimited divine power in the wrong way, for he had been given “the Spirit without measure” [John 3:34]. Jesus came to “serve and to give his life as a ransom for many” [Matthew 20:28].

Others had “grasped” and suffered for doing so. Think of Adam and Eve, tested as to whether they would obey God, they failed the test they had “grasped” for knowledge hoping to become like God [Genesis 3:5]. In contrast to them, says Paul, Jesus “humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on the cross” [ Philippians 2:8].

We recall his prayers in the garden of Gethsemane, agonizing about the sacrifice his Father had appointed for him to make. He said in prayer, “My Father, if it be possible let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.” [Matthew 26:39]. Because of this attitude and resultant commitment, says Paul, “Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth … and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” [ Philippians 2:9-10]

Does it mean “every tongue? Paul is looking ahead to the ultimate time to come when those granted eternal life will do this. We think of his words in writing to the Romans, “if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart … you will be saved.” [Romans 10:9] In Romans 6 Paul had expressed the meaning and vital role of baptism in this and how, as a result, “we shall be united with him in a resurrection like his.” [Romans 6:3-5]

If we fail to confess belief in Christ, that is counted as denial, there is no middle path, We have the blunt words in Mark 16:16 “whoever does not believe will be condemned” May we all be among the tongues that confess a genuine belief from our hearts.
-------
- DC

#10 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:26 AM

08 April 2014

Numbers 26
Proverbs 18
Philippians 1; 2

"NOT MY WILL BUT THINE BE DONE"

The real "us" is our minds! Oh yes, we have bodies of all shapes and sizes! But in a sense that does not count; the real 'you' and the real 'me' is what goes on inside our heads! Now this is the point that Paul is making in writing to the Philippians. If groups of believers who meet together to serve the Lord Jesus, having "the same mind" [Philippians 2:2] is very important. Note what he then goes on to write! He states that Jesus Christ set the example of the kind of mind we should have! How did he do that? What kind of mind is that?

We read that he "did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men … he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death … therefore God has highly exalted him" [Philippians 2:6-9]. Jesus set the example of the kind of mind God is looking to see. This is the kind of person we should aim to be.

Some people are confused by the thought that Jesus is the example of this! Why? Because they have been taught that Jesus is a part of God. This is a misunderstanding; he became part of God because of his obedience to God's will. Remember how he prayed, "not my will but thine be done" [Luke 22:42] Now in tomorrow's Philippians reading, we will see how we can become, in a sense, part of God. Paul writes of true believers, that their "citizenship is in heaven and from it we await a Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body …" [Philippians 3:20] and so become "priests of God and of Christ and Christ and they will reign with him … " [Revelation 20:6]

We must aim to "have this mind." Is there any other way to really live? The answer is obviously "No" – the only way to live is to recognise the real "us" and as a result focus our minds on eternal ways of thinking and living.
-------
- DC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users