#1 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,351 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:38 AM

First Portion

Numbers 11

11:1 The people were complaining in the ears of Yahweh. When Yahweh heard it, his anger was kindled; and Yahweh’s fire burnt among them, and consumed some of the outskirts of the camp. 11:2 The people cried to Moses; and Moses prayed to Yahweh, and the fire abated. 11:3 The name of that place was called Taberah, because Yahweh’s fire burnt among them.

11:4 The mixed multitude that was among them lusted exceedingly: and the children of Israel also wept again, and said, “Who will give us flesh to eat? 11:5 We remember the fish, which we ate in Egypt for nothing; the cucumbers, and the melons, and the leeks, and the onions, and the garlic; 11:6 but now we have lost our appetite. There is nothing at all except this manna to look at.” 11:7 The manna was like coriander seed, and its appearance like the appearance of bdellium. 11:8 The people went around, gathered it, and ground it in mills, or beat it in mortars, and boiled it in pots, and made cakes of it. Its taste was like the taste of fresh oil. 11:9 When the dew fell on the camp in the night, the manna fell on it.

11:10 Moses heard the people weeping throughout their families, every man at the door of his tent; and the anger of Yahweh was kindled greatly; and Moses was displeased. 11:11 Moses said to Yahweh, “Why have you treated with your servant so badly? Why haven’t I found favor in your sight, that you lay the burden of all this people on me? 11:12 Have I conceived all this people? Have I brought them forth, that you should tell me, ‘Carry them in your bosom, as a nurse carries a nursing infant, to the land which you swore to their fathers?’ 11:13 Where could I get meat to give to all this people? For they weep to me, saying, ‘Give us meat, that we may eat.’ 11:14 I am not able to bear all this people alone, because it is too heavy for me. 11:15 If you treat me this way, please kill me right now, if I have found favor in your sight; and don’t let me see my wretchedness.”

11:16 Yahweh said to Moses, “Gather to me seventy men of the elders of Israel, whom you know to be the elders of the people, and officers over them; and bring them to the Tent of Meeting, that they may stand there with you. 11:17 I will come down and talk with you there. I will take of the Spirit which is on you, and will put it on them; and they shall bear the burden of the people with you, that you not bear it yourself alone.

11:18 “Say to the people, ‘Sanctify yourselves against tomorrow, and you will eat flesh; for you have wept in the ears of Yahweh, saying, “Who will give us flesh to eat? For it was well with us in Egypt.” Therefore Yahweh will give you flesh, and you will eat. 11:19 You will not eat one day, nor two days, nor five days, neither ten days, nor twenty days, 11:20 but a whole month, until it come out at your nostrils, and it is loathsome to you; because that you have rejected Yahweh who is among you, and have wept before him, saying, “Why did we come out of Egypt?”’”

11:21 Moses said, “The people, among whom I am, are six hundred thousand men on foot; and you have said, ‘I will give them flesh, that they may eat a whole month.’ 11:22 Shall flocks and herds be slaughtered for them, to be sufficient for them? Shall all the fish of the sea be gathered together for them, to be sufficient for them?”

11:23 Yahweh said to Moses, “Has Yahweh’s hand grown short? Now you will see whether my word will happen to you or not.”

11:24 Moses went out, and told the people the words of Yahweh; and he gathered seventy men of the elders of the people, and set them around the Tent. 11:25 Yahweh came down in the cloud, and spoke to him, and took of the Spirit that was on him, and put it on the seventy elders: and it happened that when the Spirit rested on them, they prophesied, but they did so no more. 11:26 But two men remained in the camp. The name of one was Eldad, and the name of the other Medad: and the Spirit rested on them; and they were of those who were written, but had not gone out to the Tent; and they prophesied in the camp. 11:27 A young man ran, and told Moses, and said, “Eldad and Medad are prophesying in the camp!”

11:28 Joshua the son of Nun, the servant of Moses, one of his chosen men, answered, “My lord Moses, forbid them!”

11:29 Moses said to him, “Are you jealous for my sake? I wish that all Yahweh’s people were prophets, that Yahweh would put his Spirit on them!”

11:30 Moses went into the camp, he and the elders of Israel. 11:31 A wind from Yahweh went out and brought quails from the sea, and let them fall by the camp, about a day’s journey on this side, and a day’s journey on the other side, around the camp, and about two cubits above the surface of the earth. 11:32 The people rose up all that day, and all the night, and all the next day, and gathered the quails. He who gathered least gathered ten homers; and they spread them all abroad for themselves around the camp. 11:33 While the flesh was yet between their teeth, before it was chewed, the anger of Yahweh was kindled against the people, and Yahweh struck the people with a very great plague. 11:34 The name of that place was called Kibroth Hattaavah, because there they buried the people who lusted.

11:35 From Kibroth Hattaavah the people traveled to Hazeroth; and they stayed at Hazeroth.

#2 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,351 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:39 AM

Second Portion

Proverbs 7

7:1 My son, keep my words.
Lay up my commandments within you.
7:2 Keep my commandments and live!
Guard my teaching as the apple of your eye.
7:3 Bind them on your fingers.
Write them on the tablet of your heart.
7:4 Tell wisdom, “You are my sister.”
Call understanding your relative,
7:5 that they may keep you from the strange woman,
from the foreigner who flatters with her words.
7:6 For at the window of my house,
I looked out through my lattice.
7:7 I saw among the simple ones.
I discerned among the youths a young man void of understanding,
7:8 passing through the street near her corner,
he went the way to her house,
7:9 in the twilight, in the evening of the day,
in the middle of the night and in the darkness.
7:10 Behold, there a woman met him with the attire of a prostitute,
and with crafty intent.
7:11 She is loud and defiant.
Her feet don’t stay in her house.
7:12 Now she is in the streets, now in the squares,
and lurking at every corner.
7:13 So she caught him, and kissed him.
With an impudent face she said to him:
7:14 “Sacrifices of peace offerings are with me.
This day I have paid my vows.
7:15 Therefore I came out to meet you,
to diligently seek your face,
and I have found you.
7:16 I have spread my couch with carpets of tapestry,
with striped cloths of the yarn of Egypt.
7:17 I have perfumed my bed with myrrh, aloes, and cinnamon.
7:18 Come, let’s take our fill of loving until the morning.
Let’s solace ourselves with loving.
7:19 For my husband isn’t at home.
He has gone on a long journey.
7:20 He has taken a bag of money with him.
He will come home at the full moon.”
7:21 With persuasive words, she led him astray.
With the flattering of her lips, she seduced him.
7:22 He followed her immediately,
as an ox goes to the slaughter,
as a fool stepping into a noose.
7:23 Until an arrow strikes through his liver,
as a bird hurries to the snare,
and doesn’t know that it will cost his life.
7:24 Now therefore, sons, listen to me.
Pay attention to the words of my mouth.
7:25 Don’t let your heart turn to her ways.
Don’t go astray in her paths,
7:26 for she has thrown down many wounded.
Yes, all her slain are a mighty army.
7:27 Her house is the way to Sheol,
going down to the rooms of death.

#3 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,351 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:41 AM

Third Portion

Luke 21

21:1 He looked up, and saw the rich people who were putting their gifts into the treasury. 21:2 He saw a certain poor widow casting in two small brass coins. 21:3 He said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow put in more than all of them, 21:4 for all these put in gifts for God from their abundance, but she, out of her poverty, put in all that she had to live on.”

21:5 As some were talking about the temple and how it was decorated with beautiful stones and gifts, he said, 21:6 “As for these things which you see, the days will come, in which there will not be left here one stone on another that will not be thrown down.”

21:7 They asked him, “Teacher, so when will these things be? What is the sign that these things are about to happen?”

21:8 He said, “Watch out that you don’t get led astray, for many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am he,’ and, ‘The time is at hand.’ Therefore don’t follow them. 21:9 When you hear of wars and disturbances, don’t be terrified, for these things must happen first, but the end won’t come immediately.”

21:10 Then he said to them, “Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. 21:11 There will be great earthquakes, famines, and plagues in various places. There will be terrors and great signs from heaven. 21:12 But before all these things, they will lay their hands on you and will persecute you, delivering you up to synagogues and prisons, bringing you before kings and governors for my name’s sake. 21:13 It will turn out as a testimony for you. 21:14 Settle it therefore in your hearts not to meditate beforehand how to answer, 21:15 for I will give you a mouth and wisdom which all your adversaries will not be able to withstand or to contradict. 21:16 You will be handed over even by parents, brothers, relatives, and friends. They will cause some of you to be put to death. 21:17 You will be hated by all men for my name’s sake. 21:18 And not a hair of your head will perish.

21:19 “By your endurance you will win your lives.

21:20 “But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then know that its desolation is at hand. 21:21 Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. Let those who are in the midst of her depart. Let those who are in the country not enter therein. 21:22 For these are days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled. 21:23 Woe to those who are pregnant and to those who nurse infants in those days! For there will be great distress in the land, and wrath to this people. 21:24 They will fall by the edge of the sword, and will be led captive into all the nations. Jerusalem will be trampled down by the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled. 21:25 There will be signs in the sun, moon, and stars; and on the earth anxiety of nations, in perplexity for the roaring of the sea and the waves; 21:26 men fainting for fear, and for expectation of the things which are coming on the world: for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 21:27 Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 21:28 But when these things begin to happen, look up, and lift up your heads, because your redemption is near.”

21:29 He told them a parable. “See the fig tree, and all the trees. 21:30 When they are already budding, you see it and know by your own selves that the summer is already near. 21:31 Even so you also, when you see these things happening, know that the Kingdom of God is near. 21:32 Most certainly I tell you, this generation will not pass away until all things are accomplished. 21:33 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will by no means pass away.

21:34 “So be careful, or your hearts will be loaded down with carousing, drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that day will come on you suddenly. 21:35 For it will come like a snare on all those who dwell on the surface of all the earth. 21:36 Therefore be watchful all the time, praying that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will happen, and to stand before the Son of Man.”

21:37 Every day Jesus was teaching in the temple, and every night he would go out and spend the night on the mountain that is called Olivet. 21:38 All the people came early in the morning to him in the temple to hear him.

World English Bible - (WEB) - Public Domain

#4 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,351 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:14 AM

29 March 2009

Numbers 11
Proverbs 7
Luke 21

#5 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,351 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:05 PM

29 March 2010

Numbers 11
Proverbs 7
Luke 21

"DISTRESS OF NATIONS IN PERPLEXITY"

There is a remarkable amount of perplexity among the nations today. Somehow, now that the USA has to some degree lost its power and strong influence, there is more perplexity. Money has been king, the ability to influence others has been achieved by having plenty of money and strong military power. Today's reading in Luke 21 tells us that Jesus said that his return to the earth would be at a time of "distress of nations in perplexity because of the roaring of the sea and the waves." [Luke 21:25]

The threat of roaring seas, tsunamis, are now causing great anxieties, men are endeavouring to put in warning systems; however, we suspect that the words, as do several others things Jesus said, reflect words written in the Old Testament and are indicative of even greater distress. Look at the language in Psalm 46. "we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea, though the waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble at its swelling … the nations rage, the kingdoms totter; he utters his voice, the earth melts … Come, behold the works of the LORD, how he has wrought desolations on the earth. He makes wars cease to the end of the earth … [Psalm 46:2,3,6,8,9].

Just as one is able to pick out the prophecies that were fulfilled at the first coming of Jesus, so we ponder those that we judge must apply to his second coming. Jesus continued by speaking of "people fainting with fear and foreboding of what is coming on the world" [Luke 21:26]. But those who know the Bible will carefully read the words of Jesus that follow and take them to heart, "Now when these things begin to take place, straighten up and raise your heads, because your redemption is drawing near" [Luke 21:28]

Returning to Psalm 46, take special note of the positive message in the last 2 verses, "Be still and know that I am God I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth! The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress." Is he your fortress?
-------
- DC

#6 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,351 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:42 AM

29 March 2011

Numbers 11
Proverbs 7
Luke 21

"FOREBODING OF WHAT IS COMING ON THE WORLD"

Foreboding is not a word we use much these days, the dictionary says it means – ‘have a premonition of something evil or harmful.’ Jesus used it (as translated by the ESV) in our reading today [Luke 21:26] in forecasting, just before he returned, “distress of nations in perplexity … people fainting with fear and foreboding of what is coming on the world.”

In our younger days there was always a good degree of optimism of even better times that lay ahead because of the new inventions in many areas. This was not just in the things we buy for our homes, but the better fertilisers and great productivity in many areas. Clever scientists and inventers were making life better and better – and when Communism collapsed as the Berlin wall came down in 1989 it seemed the world was entering a new golden era of peace and prosperity.

How dramatically the scene has changed! There is an increasingly uncertain sound about the future; a multitude of voices ‘twitter’ their concerns and lack of solutions. We saw some comparison in this as we read Numbers 11 today. The Israelites had had a wonderful and miraculous deliverance from captivity in Egypt. There was a “honeymoon” period at Mr Sinai and a special tabernacle was built using the gold they had taken from the Egyptians. Then “manna,” the bread from heaven, was provided as their staple food.

But today’s chapter starts, “And the people complained about their misfortunes … oh that we had meat to eat! We remember the fish we ate in Egypt that cost nothing, the cucumbers, the melons, the leeks, the onions …” [Numbers 11:1,4,5]. Compare that today! Two hundred years ago nearly everyone believed in a Creator as the source of all blessings, 100 years ago, the majority of people still believed but today the big majority have turned their backs on the God of the Bible, man is now his own ‘god.’ Soon we will read what happened to the faithless Israelites in the wilderness and we are starting to see a parallel to this in our days.

Finally in today’s chapter in Proverbs there is valuable advice, “Keep my commandments and live … call insight your intimate friend” [Proverbs 7:1,4]. Remember the significance of the word ‘insight’ we looked at 3 days ago! Is ‘insight’ your intimate friend - or are you increasingly full of foreboding about what is coming on the world?
-------
- DC

#7 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,351 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:22 AM

29 March 2012

Numbers 11
Proverbs 7
Luke 21

"BUT WATCH YOURSELVES ... "

Today’s 21st chapter of Luke is very familiar. Can some words become so familiar causing one’s thoughts to simply travel along well-trodden paths and maybe miss some of the intriguing “flowers” along the way? Imagine you were reading this chapter for the first time!

Luke 21:20-24 were definitely fulfilled about 40 years after Jesus spoke them when the massive structure of the Temple was destroyed [Luke 21:6] and the nation ceased to exist. Words that always catch our attention is that “Jerusalem will be trampled underfoot by the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.” [Luke 21:24] In Luke 21:29-32 we read of the budding of God’s fig tree, Israel [Joel 1:7] and Jesus’ words, “When you see these things taking place you know that the kingdom of God is near. Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all has taken place.”

How long is a generation? We will soon read in Numbers that “the LORD’s anger was kindled against Israel, and he made them wander in the wilderness forty years until all the generation that had done evil in the sight of the LORD was gone.” [Numbers 32:13] But that does not conclusively prove that the period of a generation is just 40 years. We read in Psalm 90 that “the years of our life are seventy …” [Psalm 90:10] So from when Israel was again established as a nation in 1948 for the first time since AD70, is the climax to come at the most 70 years from then? But the Jews did not possess the old city of Jerusalem until 1967, so could that be the starting date?

Many have exercised their minds greatly on the dates in Daniel 12 and watch movements among the nations of the Middle East. But Jesus says, “Watch yourselves” – look at the particular points he makes, “But watch yourselves lest your hearts be weighed down with dissipation and drunkenness and cares of this life and that day come upon you suddenly like a trap.” [Luke 21:34] The hearts of many people around us are weighed down for many reasons such as the tottering uncertainty of the money ‘God.’ Let our Master’s words in Luke 21:36 be ones we really take to heart, “stay awake at all times, praying you may have strength to escape all these things that are going to take place, and to stand before the Son of Man.” Strength? How strong is your faith? Read 1 Corinthians 16:13
-------
- DC

#8 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,351 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:52 AM

29 March 2013

Numbers 11
Proverbs 7
Luke 21

"FOREBODING OF WHAT IS COMING ON THE WORLD"

Foreboding is not a word we use much these days; the dictionary says it means – ‘have a premonition of something evil or harmful.’ Jesus used it (as translated by the ESV) in our reading today [Luke 21:26]; he forecast that just before he returns to earth there will be, “distress of nations in perplexity … people fainting with fear and foreboding of what is coming on the world.”

In our younger days there was optimism that even better times were coming because of the new inventions in many areas. This was not just in the things we buy for our homes, but the better fertilisers and increasing productivity. Clever scientists and inventers were making life better and better – and when Communism collapsed as the Berlin wall came down in 1989 it seemed the world was entering a new golden era of peace and prosperity. How dramatically the scene has changed since then - still greater changes are threatening now; all for the worse.

As we read Numbers 11 today we saw some comparisons. The Israelites had had a wonderful and miraculous deliverance from captivity in Egypt. There was a “honeymoon” period at Mt Sinai and a special tabernacle was built using the gold they had taken from the Egyptians. Then “manna,” the bread from heaven, was provided as their staple food.

But today’s chapter starts, “And the people complained about their misfortunes … oh that we had meat to eat! We remember the fish we ate in Egypt that cost nothing, the cucumbers, the melons, the leeks, the onions …” [Numbers 11:1,4,5]. Today’s world has so many who are ready to complain about anything that is not just as they want it !

Two hundred years ago nearly everyone believed in a Creator as the source of all things. One hundred years ago, the majority of people still believed this but today a large majority have turned their backs on the God of the Bible. Man is now his own ‘god.’ What happened to the self-centred Israelites in the wilderness will have its parallel to the 21st Century as people faint “with fear and foreboding” and distress and perplexity becomes overwhelming.

Our Proverbs’ chapter again has valuable advice, “Keep my commandments and live … call insight your intimate friend” [Proverbs 7:1,4]. Insight! Inward vision in your heart of the real meaning of life (and Easter) is the antidote to being full of foreboding about what is coming on the world, only God’s word provides the right “food” for seeking hearts.
-------
- DC

#9 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,351 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:39 AM

29 March 2014

Numbers 11
Proverbs 7
Luke 21

“THE SEA AND THE WAVES”

The perplexity among the nations today is remarkable. A factor in this is that the USA has to some degree lost its power and strong influence. Money has been king, the ability to influence others has been achieved by having plenty of money and strong military power.

Today’s reading in Luke 21 tells us that Jesus said that his return to the earth would be at a time of “distress of nations in perplexity because of the roaring of the sea and the waves.” [Luke 21:25]

The threat of roaring seas, especially tsunamis, has caused great anxieties, The massive earthquake and tsunami off the coast of Japan caused very serious problems – and these continue. Warning systems have now been put in place, but these will not stop the seas roaring – only just give a few minutes warning.

However, we can see that the words of Jesus, as do several others things he said, reflect words written in the Old Testament and indicate even greater distresses are to come. Look at the language in Psalm 46. “we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea, though the waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble at its swelling … the nations rage, the kingdoms totter ; he utters his voice, the earth melts … Come, behold the works of the LORD, how he has wrought desolations on the earth. He makes wars cease to the end of the earth … [Psalm 46:2,3,6,8,9].

Just as one is able to pick out the prophecies that were fulfilled at the first coming of Jesus, so we ponder those that we judge must apply to his second coming. Jesus continued by speaking of “people fainting with fear and foreboding of what is coming on the world” [Luke 21:26]. But those who know the Bible will carefully read the words of Jesus that follow and take them to heart, “Now when these things begin to take place, straighten up and raise your heads, because your redemption is drawing near” [Luke 21:28] This “redemption” of course, is for his committed followers. Make sure that includes you..

Returning to Psalm 46, take special note of the positive message in the last 2 verses, “Be still and know that I am God I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth! The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.” [Psalm 46:10-11] Make sure that he is your fortress – remember how Jesus told the parable of those who knocked at the door – but it was too late – remember what you read in Luke 13:25.
-------
- DC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users