#1 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,289 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:54 AM

First Portion

Leviticus 5; 6

5:1 "'If anyone sins, in that he hears the voice of adjuration, he being a witness, whether he has seen or known, if he doesn't report it, then he shall bear his iniquity.

5:2 "'Or if anyone touches any unclean thing, whether it is the carcass of an unclean animal, or the carcass of unclean livestock, or the carcass of unclean creeping things, and it is hidden from him, and he is unclean, then he shall be guilty.

5:3 "'Or if he touches the uncleanness of man, whatever his uncleanness is with which he is unclean, and it is hidden from him; when he knows of it, then he shall be guilty.

5:4 "'Or if anyone swears rashly with his lips to do evil, or to do good, whatever it is that a man might utter rashly with an oath, and it is hidden from him; when he knows of it, then he shall be guilty of one of these. 5:5 It shall be, when he is guilty of one of these, he shall confess that in which he has sinned: 5:6 and he shall bring his trespass offering to Yahweh for his sin which he has sinned, a female from the flock, a lamb or a goat, for a sin offering; and the priest shall make atonement for him concerning his sin.

5:7 "'If he can't afford a lamb, then he shall bring his trespass offering for that in which he has sinned, two turtledoves, or two young pigeons, to Yahweh; one for a sin offering, and the other for a burnt offering. 5:8 He shall bring them to the priest, who shall first offer the one which is for the sin offering, and wring off its head from its neck, but shall not sever it completely. 5:9 He shall sprinkle some of the blood of the sin offering on the side of the altar; and the rest of the blood shall be drained out at the base of the altar. It is a sin offering. 5:10 He shall offer the second for a burnt offering, according to the ordinance; and the priest shall make atonement for him concerning his sin which he has sinned, and he shall be forgiven.

5:11 "'But if he can't afford two turtledoves, or two young pigeons, then he shall bring his offering for that in which he has sinned, the tenth part of an ephah of fine flour for a sin offering. He shall put no oil on it, neither shall he put any frankincense on it, for it is a sin offering. 5:12 He shall bring it to the priest, and the priest shall take his handful of it as the memorial portion, and burn it on the altar, on the offerings of Yahweh made by fire. It is a sin offering. 5:13 The priest shall make atonement for him concerning his sin that he has sinned in any of these things, and he will be forgiven; and the rest shall be the priest's, as the meal offering.'"

5:14 Yahweh spoke to Moses, saying, 5:15 "If anyone commits a trespass, and sins unwittingly, in the holy things of Yahweh; then he shall bring his trespass offering to Yahweh, a ram without blemish from the flock, according to your estimation in silver by shekels, after the shekel of the sanctuary, for a trespass offering. 5:16 He shall make restitution for that which he has done wrong in the holy thing, and shall add a fifth part to it, and give it to the priest; and the priest shall make atonement for him with the ram of the trespass offering, and he will be forgiven.

5:17 "If anyone sins, and does any of the things which Yahweh has commanded not to be done; though he didn't know it, yet he is guilty, and shall bear his iniquity. 5:18 He shall bring a ram without blemish from of the flock, according to your estimation, for a trespass offering, to the priest; and the priest shall make atonement for him concerning the thing in which he sinned and didn't know it, and he will be forgiven. 5:19 It is a trespass offering. He is certainly guilty before Yahweh."

#2 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,289 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:55 AM

6:1 Yahweh spoke to Moses, saying, 6:2 “If anyone sins, and commits a trespass against Yahweh, and deals falsely with his neighbor in a matter of deposit, or of bargain, or of robbery, or has oppressed his neighbor, 6:3 or has found that which was lost, and dealt falsely therein, and swearing to a lie; in any of all these things that a man does, sinning therein; 6:4 then it shall be, if he has sinned, and is guilty, he shall restore that which he took by robbery, or the thing which he has gotten by oppression, or the deposit which was committed to him, or the lost thing which he found, 6:5 or any thing about which he has sworn falsely; he shall restore it even in full, and shall add a fifth part more to it. To him to whom it belongs he shall give it, in the day of his being found guilty. 6:6 He shall bring his trespass offering to Yahweh, a ram without blemish from the flock, according to your estimation, for a trespass offering, to the priest. 6:7 The priest shall make atonement for him before Yahweh, and he will be forgiven concerning whatever he does to become guilty.”

6:8 Yahweh spoke to Moses, saying, 6:9 “Command Aaron and his sons, saying, ‘This is the law of the burnt offering: the burnt offering shall be on the hearth on the altar all night until the morning; and the fire of the altar shall be kept burning on it. 6:10 The priest shall put on his linen garment, and he shall put on his linen breeches upon his body; and he shall remove the ashes from where the fire has consumed the burnt offering on the altar, and he shall put them beside the altar. 6:11 He shall take off his garments, and put on other garments, and carry the ashes outside the camp to a clean place. 6:12 The fire on the altar shall be kept burning on it, it shall not go out; and the priest shall burn wood on it every morning: and he shall lay the burnt offering in order upon it, and shall burn on it the fat of the peace offerings. 6:13 Fire shall be kept burning on the altar continually; it shall not go out.

6:14 “‘This is the law of the meal offering: the sons of Aaron shall offer it before Yahweh, before the altar. 6:15 He shall take from there his handful of the fine flour of the meal offering, and of its oil, and all the frankincense which is on the meal offering, and shall burn it on the altar for a pleasant aroma, as its memorial, to Yahweh. 6:16 That which is left of it Aaron and his sons shall eat. It shall be eaten without yeast in a holy place. They shall eat it in the court of the Tent of Meeting. 6:17 It shall not be baked with yeast. I have given it as their portion of my offerings made by fire. It is most holy, as the sin offering, and as the trespass offering. 6:18 Every male among the children of Aaron shall eat of it, as their portion forever throughout your generations, from the offerings of Yahweh made by fire. Whoever touches them shall be holy.’”

6:19 Yahweh spoke to Moses, saying, 6:20 “This is the offering of Aaron and of his sons, which they shall offer to Yahweh in the day when he is anointed: the tenth part of an ephah of fine flour for a meal offering perpetually, half of it in the morning, and half of it in the evening. 6:21 It shall be made with oil in a griddle. When it is soaked, you shall bring it in. You shall offer the meal offering in baked pieces for a pleasant aroma to Yahweh. 6:22 The anointed priest that will be in his place from among his sons shall offer it. By a statute forever, it shall be wholly burnt to Yahweh. 6:23 Every meal offering of a priest shall be wholly burned. It shall not be eaten.”

6:24 Yahweh spoke to Moses, saying, 6:25 “Speak to Aaron and to his sons, saying, ‘This is the law of the sin offering: in the place where the burnt offering is killed, the sin offering shall be killed before Yahweh. It is most holy. 6:26 The priest who offers it for sin shall eat it. It shall be eaten in a holy place, in the court of the Tent of Meeting. 6:27 Whatever shall touch its flesh shall be holy. When there is any of its blood sprinkled on a garment, you shall wash that on which it was sprinkled in a holy place. 6:28 But the earthen vessel in which it is boiled shall be broken; and if it is boiled in a bronze vessel, it shall be scoured, and rinsed in water. 6:29 Every male among the priests shall eat of it: it is most holy. 6:30 No sin offering, of which any of the blood is brought into the Tent of Meeting to make atonement in the Holy Place, shall be eaten: it shall be burned with fire.

#3 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,289 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:56 AM

Second Portion

Psalms 105

105:1 Give thanks to Yahweh! Call on his name!
Make his doings known among the peoples.
105:2 Sing to him, sing praises to him!
Tell of all his marvelous works.
105:3 Glory in his holy name.
Let the heart of those who seek Yahweh rejoice.
105:4 Seek Yahweh and his strength.
Seek his face forever more.
105:5 Remember his marvelous works that he has done;
his wonders, and the judgments of his mouth,
105:6 you seed of Abraham, his servant,
you children of Jacob, his chosen ones.
105:7 He is Yahweh, our God.
His judgments are in all the earth.
105:8 He has remembered his covenant forever,
the word which he commanded to a thousand generations,
105:9 the covenant which he made with Abraham,
his oath to Isaac,
105:10 and confirmed the same to Jacob for a statute;
to Israel for an everlasting covenant,
105:11 saying, “To you I will give the land of Canaan,
the lot of your inheritance;”
105:12 when they were but a few men in number,
yes, very few, and foreigners in it.
105:13 They went about from nation to nation,
from one kingdom to another people.
105:14 He allowed no one to do them wrong.
Yes, he reproved kings for their sakes,
105:15 “Don’t touch my anointed ones!
Do my prophets no harm!”
105:16 He called for a famine on the land.
He destroyed the food supplies.
105:17 He sent a man before them.
Joseph was sold for a slave.
105:18 They bruised his feet with shackles.
His neck was locked in irons,
105:19 until the time that his word happened,
and Yahweh’s word proved him true.
105:20 The king sent and freed him;
even the ruler of peoples, and let him go free.
105:21 He made him lord of his house,
and ruler of all of his possessions;
105:22 to discipline his princes at his pleasure,
and to teach his elders wisdom.
105:23 Israel also came into Egypt.
Jacob lived in the land of Ham.
105:24 He increased his people greatly,
and made them stronger than their adversaries.
105:25 He turned their heart to hate his people,
to conspire against his servants.
105:26 He sent Moses, his servant,
and Aaron, whom he had chosen.
105:27 They performed miracles among them,
and wonders in the land of Ham.
105:28 He sent darkness, and made it dark.
They didn’t rebel against his words.
105:29 He turned their waters into blood,
and killed their fish.
105:30 Their land swarmed with frogs,
even in the rooms of their kings.
105:31 He spoke, and swarms of flies came,
and lice in all their borders.
105:32 He gave them hail for rain,
with lightning in their land.
105:33 He struck their vines and also their fig trees,
and shattered the trees of their country.
105:34 He spoke, and the locusts came,
and the grasshoppers, without number,
105:35 ate up every plant in their land;
and ate up the fruit of their ground.
105:36 He struck also all the firstborn in their land,
the first fruits of all their manhood.
105:37 He brought them forth with silver and gold.
There was not one feeble person among his tribes.
105:38 Egypt was glad when they departed,
for the fear of them had fallen on them.
105:39 He spread a cloud for a covering,
fire to give light in the night.
105:40 They asked, and he brought quails,
and satisfied them with the bread of the sky.
105:41 He opened the rock, and waters gushed out.
They ran as a river in the dry places.
105:42 For he remembered his holy word,
and Abraham, his servant.
105:43 He brought forth his people with joy,
his chosen with singing.
105:44 He gave them the lands of the nations.
They took the labor of the peoples in possession,
105:45 that they might keep his statutes,
and observe his laws.
Praise Yah!

#4 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,289 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:58 AM

Third Portion

1 Corinthians 14

14:1 Follow after love, and earnestly desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. 14:2 For he who speaks in another language speaks not to men, but to God; for no one understands; but in the Spirit he speaks mysteries. 14:3 But he who prophesies speaks to men for their edification, exhortation, and consolation. 14:4 He who speaks in another language edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the assembly. 14:5 Now I desire to have you all speak with other languages, but rather that you would prophesy. For he is greater who prophesies than he who speaks with other languages, unless he interprets, that the assembly may be built up.

14:6 But now, brothers, if I come to you speaking with other languages, what would I profit you, unless I speak to you either by way of revelation, or of knowledge, or of prophesying, or of teaching? 14:7 Even things without life, giving a voice, whether pipe or harp, if they didn’t give a distinction in the sounds, how would it be known what is piped or harped? 14:8 For if the trumpet gave an uncertain sound, who would prepare himself for war? 14:9 So also you, unless you uttered by the tongue words easy to understand, how would it be known what is spoken? For you would be speaking into the air. 14:10 There are, it may be, so many kinds of sounds in the world, and none of them is without meaning. 14:11 If then I don’t know the meaning of the sound, I would be to him who speaks a foreigner, and he who speaks would be a foreigner to me. 14:12 So also you, since you are zealous for spiritual gifts, seek that you may abound to the building up of the assembly. 14:13 Therefore let him who speaks in another language pray that he may interpret. 14:14 For if I pray in another language, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful.

14:15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also. I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also. 14:16 Otherwise if you bless with the spirit, how will he who fills the place of the unlearned say the “Amen” at your giving of thanks, seeing he doesn’t know what you say? 14:17 For you most certainly give thanks well, but the other person is not built up. 14:18 I thank my God, I speak with other languages more than you all. 14:19 However in the assembly I would rather speak five words with my understanding, that I might instruct others also, than ten thousand words in another language.

14:20 Brothers, don’t be children in thoughts, yet in malice be babies, but in thoughts be mature. 14:21 In the law it is written, “By men of strange languages and by the lips of strangers I will speak to this people. Not even thus will they hear me, says the Lord.” 14:22 Therefore other languages are for a sign, not to those who believe, but to the unbelieving; but prophesying is for a sign, not to the unbelieving, but to those who believe. 14:23 If therefore the whole assembly is assembled together and all speak with other languages, and unlearned or unbelieving people come in, won’t they say that you are crazy? 14:24 But if all prophesy, and someone unbelieving or unlearned comes in, he is reproved by all, and he is judged by all. 14:25 And thus the secrets of his heart are revealed. So he will fall down on his face and worship God, declaring that God is among you indeed.

14:26 What is it then, brothers? When you come together, each one of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has another language, has an interpretation. Let all things be done to build each other up. 14:27 If any man speaks in another language, let it be two, or at the most three, and in turn; and let one interpret. 14:28 But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in the assembly, and let him speak to himself, and to God. 14:29 Let the prophets speak, two or three, and let the others discern. 14:30 But if a revelation is made to another sitting by, let the first keep silent. 14:31 For you all can prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be exhorted. 14:32 The spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets, 14:33 for God is not a God of confusion, but of peace.

As in all the assemblies of the saints, 14:34 let your wives keep silent in the assemblies, for it has not been permitted for them to speak; but let them be in subjection, as the law also says. 14:35 If they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home, for it is shameful for a woman to chatter in the assembly. 14:36 What? Was it from you that the word of God went out? Or did it come to you alone? 14:37 If any man thinks himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him recognize the things which I write to you, that they are the commandment of the Lord. 14:38 But if anyone is ignorant, let him be ignorant. 14:39 Therefore, brothers, desire earnestly to prophesy, and don’t forbid speaking with other languages. 14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

World English Bible - (WEB) - Public Domain

#5 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,289 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:18 PM

01 March 2009

Leviticus 5; 6
Psalms 105
1 Corinthians 14

#6 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,289 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:18 AM

01 March 2010

Leviticus 5; 6
Psalms 105
1 Corinthians 14

CONFUSION

The church at Corinth experienced considerable confusion and disharmony over several matters. In his letter to them Paul tries hard to direct them into improving their ways and to deal with the bad behaviour they allowed. We read yesterday and today of the confusion caused by the misuse of spiritual gifts. The gifts were a great help in the early days of the church when the Bible they had was simply the Old Testament and copies of that would be very few because they were all handwritten and would have been in the hands of the Jews, not the Gentiles. Thus Spirit Gifts played an important role, they were for that generation. But some of these gifts were being used in a way that caused confusion.

In today's reading [1 Corinthians 14] it is evident that the gift of tongues, i.e. speaking in other languages, was a primary cause of confusion and that many members liked this gift. Was it a sort of fun? Paul tells them, "if with the tongue you utter speech that is not intelligible, how will anyone know what is said? For you will be speaking into the air. There are doubtless many different languages in the world and none is without meaning, but, if you do not know the meaning of the language … my mind is unfruitful" [1 Corinthians 14:9-11; 14:14]

Paul says, "I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. Nevertheless, in church I would rather speak five words with my mind in order to instruct others, than ten thousand words in a tongue" [1 Corinthians 14:18-19]. Because Paul travelled to other lands more than anyone else he had real need to speak in many other tongues, i.e. languages.

He further says that if "the whole church comes together and all speak in tongues, and outsiders and unbelievers enter, will they not say that you are out of your minds?" [1 Corinthians 14:23]. He makes the point that "tongues are a sign for unbelievers" [1 Corinthians 14:22] and that is obviously how he used it. He means preaching to unbelievers in their own language as happened on the Day of Pentecost. [Acts 2].

He makes the plain statement in 1 Corinthians 13:8 "as for tongues they will cease" and sums up, saying, "God is not the author of confusion but of peace." [1 Corinthians 14:33]

Human beings are the authors of confusion and there is much of this today as they fail to careful read the words of the Bible and become "a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth." [2 Timothy 2:15]
-------
- DC

#7 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,289 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:17 PM

01 March 2011

Leviticus 5; 6
Psalms 105
1 Corinthians 14

"IT IS SHAMEFUL FOR A WOMAN TO SPEAK IN CHURCH"

We reflected at length on the verse that includes the above quotation in reading 1 Corinthians 14 today. So many churches, apart from the Catholic church, now allow women to speak, and in some cases take quite prominent roles. The words, "it is shameful for a woman to speak in church" are in 1 Corinthians 14:35; have we taken the quotation out of its context?

The previous verse says, "the women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says." We conclude this means 'silent' in the sense of not addressing the congregation, for 1 Corinthians 14:29-33 are about "prophets" speaking "and let the others weigh what is being said"

Do we understand what prophets were in the early church? While there are one or two occasions where there is a prophet in the N T that predict the future [Acts 21:10,11] its primary meaning, as is the meaning here, is the expounding of God's word. Verse 31 says, "you can all prophecy one by one, so that all may learn and all be encouraged" [1 Corinthians 14:31].

Returning to our thoughts on the role of women, we see the part they played in the life of Jesus, noting that all his disciples were men and he sent as many as 72 out two by two to preach [Luke 10]. There is just one passage which is constantly quoted by those who seek to justify seeing an equal role for women in the church in the service of Christ. This is Galatians 3:27,28 where Paul writes, "For as many of you as were baptised into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

What does he mean "neither male nor female"? We noted he also said, "neither slave or free." Does a slave, when he or she is baptised into Christ now have equality in this life with those who are free? Of course not, it is clear that the sense in which they are one, is that they together have all become children of God and are all heirs together "of the grace of life" [1 Peter 3:7]. The same principle applies to men and women. Finally, the last verse in today's reading tells us, "all things should be done decently and in order" and we must respect the order that was established in those early and foundation days of the church.
-------
- DC

#8 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,289 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

01 March 2012

Leviticus 5; 6
Psalms 105
1 Corinthians 14

"A BREACH OF FAITH AGAINST THE LORD"

The book of Leviticus goes into great detail about how the people were to become a law abiding people by obeying the laws God was giving them. Tragically, apart from the Levites, the grown up people who had experienced life in Egypt, even though they had been slaves, never humbled themselves to keep faith with the God whose great power they had witnessed.

It is most interesting to look back to the time when the Bible was first translated and printed four to five hundred years ago. This was the time when Kings and Queens began to lose their absolute powers and detailed laws began to be put in their place by the Parliaments that were set up. Those formulating the laws often took their guidance from many of the principles in the laws God gave to Moses some 3,000 years earlier. Our generation has forgotten all that - and that God said, “Woe unto them who become wise in their own eyes” [Isaiah 5:21]

Today Leviticus 6 starts with these words, “The LORD spoke to Moses, saying, ‘If anyone sins and commits a breach of faith against the LORD by deceiving his neighbour in …’” There follows various types of wrong doing – for e.g. “he has oppressed his neighbour or has found something lost and lied about it, swearing (giving an oath) falsely – in any and all the things that people do and sin thereby ” [Leviticus 6:2,3]

We need to notice the point that all wrong-doing was seen by God as “a breach of faith against the LORD”

In God’s eyes all wrong doing by those who bear his name are sins against him. David immediately acknowledged this when made aware of his sin. [2 Samuel 12:13] So all our wrongdoing is “a breach of faith”, a lapse in the commitment we gave when we committed our lives to serve our Lord - and God became our heavenly Father. A verse in today’s Psalm particularly jumped out as we read it, “Seek the LORD and his strength: seek his presence continually” [Psalm 105:4]. The more we succeed in doing this, the more we will not sin. Remember, all wrongdoing “is a breach of faith.”
-------
- DC

#9 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,289 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:01 AM

01 March 2013

Leviticus 5; 6
Psalms 105
1 Corinthians 14

"THE ONE WHO PROPHECIES BUILDS UP THE CHURCH"

Today’s chapter of 1 Corinthians [1 Corinthians 14] completes Paul’s detailed advice to the believers on the wise use of the spiritual gifts that were then available. Those who claim some type of spiritual gift today almost always quote very selectively from this chapter, ignoring the context. They had no Bible to read in Corinth - like we have! It seems there were ‘sayings’ in circulation, Paul quotes some, see 1 Timothy 1:15; 4:8-9; 2 Timothy 2:11; Titus 3:8.

There is one particular gift that Paul stresses. Today’s first verse states, “earnestly desire spiritual gifts, especially that you may prophecy” What is this gift of prophecy? It is clearly explained in 1 Corinthians 14:3, “ …the one who prophecies speaks to people for their upbuilding and encouragement and consolation.” Then 1 Corinthians 14:4-5 “The one who prophecies builds up the church … The one who prophecies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues … that the church may be built up.” We commented yesterday on 1 Corinthians 14:23 on the negative effect of tongue speaking in church.

In contrast to tongues, if believers “all prophecy” in the sense of upbuilding fellow believers, how positive this would be. Remember how this was God’s primary commission to the Old Testament prophets; frequently their task was to turn the people back to serving God properly,

In the same way, ‘prophecy’ was to be used in the Corinthian church and those with sprit-empowered messages, were to build up their fellow believers - then when an “unbeliever or outsider enters, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all, the secrets of his heart are disclosed and, so falling on his face, he will worship God and declare that God is really among you.” [1 Corinthians 14:24-25]

There is surely a parallel to this today when God’s word is logically and clearly explained in the affect it has, usually over time – and the reverent spirit it produces. When a person who comes amongst us and is seeking God then his or her mind will become convinced that God and Christ are really among us. In modern language use – we should say, ‘Awesome’! Do we really sense this? Tomorrow’s powerful 15th chapter is an essential foundation in our efforts to “prophecy” and convince others (and ourselves) of our foundation purpose and hope in living.

Today’s chapter concludes with appropriate words, “my brothers earnestly desire to prophecy … all things should be done decently and in order.” We ‘hear’ the words of ‘prophecy’ today through reading the divine word every day – let us not neglect to ‘listen.’
-------
- DC

#10 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,289 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:48 AM

01 March 2014

Leviticus 5; 6
Psalms 105
1 Corinthians 14

“HIS JUDGMENTS ARE IN ALL THE EARTH”

Our Psalms reading [Psalm 105] stresses that God is fully conscious of all that happens among his creation. Many examples are given that illustrate the reality of what Paul told the Athenians, that God “is actually not far from each one of us” [Acts 17:27] that “we have our being” within the Divine presence and, as Job expressed it, “In his hand is the life of every living thing” [Job 12:10] Look at some of the illustrations of this in today’s Psalm, note how it tells us to “seek the LORD and his strength; his presence continually.” [Psalm 105:4]

We do not have to travel to seek his presence, we need to start each day by doing that: we need to “remember the wondrous works that he has done.” [Psalm 105:5] These works are seen, both in creation, and in the wonderful way “all things work together” (see Romans 8:28) to achieve God’s purpose. This is seen in history; David reminds us of “his miracles, and the judgments he uttered” to the “offspring of Abraham” [Psalm 105:5-6]. But it is not just with Israel that God is involved, “his judgments are in all the earth” [Psalm 105:7] and the full reality and climax of this will be seen when Jesus returns.

The detail of the divine involvement in human life is made clear in our Leviticus reading [Leviticus 5; 6]. We read of more of the divine laws being put in place to cause the nation being formed in the wilderness to become a genuine “”holy nation” [Exodus 19:6]. Sadly, they failed in this. David and his son Solomon did their best in their days to lead the people into becoming a holy nation. Then God’s son came to inspire people to develop personal holiness. The aim must be, as we will read next week in Paul’s 2nd letter to the Corinthians, to “cleanse ourselves from every defilement of body and spirit, bringing holiness to completion in the fear of God.” [2 Corinthians 7:1]

In our chapter today Paul is urgently encouraging them to “let all things be done for building up … for God is not the author of confusion but of peace …” [1 Corinthians 14:33]. Confusion comes when God’s word is not read properly – we should not pick and choose the parts which suit us, fully realizing that when “his judgments are in all the earth” when Christ returns, “then each of us will give account of him(her)self to God.” [Romans 14:12] Let us “seek … his strength and “his presence continually.”
-------
- DC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users