#1 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,287 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 10:28 AM

First Portion

1 Chronicles 13; 14

13:1 David consulted with the captains of thousands and of hundreds, even with every leader. 13:2 David said to all the assembly of Israel, “If it seems good to you, and if it is of Yahweh our God, let us send abroad everywhere to our brothers who are left in all the land of Israel, with whom the priests and Levites are in their cities that have suburbs, that they may gather themselves to us; 13:3 and let us bring again the ark of our God to us. For we didn’t seek it in the days of Saul.”

13:4 All the assembly said that they would do so; for the thing was right in the eyes of all the people. 13:5 So David assembled all Israel together, from the Shihor the brook of Egypt even to the entrance of Hamath, to bring the ark of God from Kiriath Jearim. 13:6 David went up, and all Israel, to Baalah, that is, to Kiriath Jearim, which belonged to Judah, to bring up from there the ark of God Yahweh that sits above the cherubim, that is called by the Name. 13:7 They carried the ark of God on a new cart, and brought it out of the house of Abinadab: and Uzza and Ahio drove the cart. 13:8 David and all Israel played before God with all their might, even with songs, and with harps, and with stringed instruments, and with tambourines, and with cymbals, and with trumpets. 13:9 When they came to the threshing floor of Chidon, Uzza put forth his hand to hold the ark; for the oxen stumbled. 13:10 The anger of Yahweh was kindled against Uzza, and he struck him, because he put forth his hand to the ark; and there he died before God. 13:11 David was displeased, because Yahweh had broken forth on Uzza; and he called that place Perez Uzza, to this day. 13:12 David was afraid of God that day, saying, “How shall I bring the ark of God home to me?” 13:13 So David didn’t move the ark to him into the city of David, but carried it aside into the house of Obed-Edom the Gittite. 13:14 The ark of God remained with the family of Obed-Edom in his house three months: and Yahweh blessed the house of Obed-Edom, and all that he had.

#2 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,287 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 10:29 AM

14:1 Hiram king of Tyre sent messengers to David, and cedar trees, and masons, and carpenters, to build him a house. 14:2 David perceived that Yahweh had established him king over Israel; for his kingdom was exalted on high, for his people Israel’s sake. 14:3 David took more wives at Jerusalem; and David became the father of more sons and daughters. 14:4 These are the names of the children whom he had in Jerusalem: Shammua, and Shobab, Nathan, and Solomon, 14:5 and Ibhar, and Elishua, and Elpelet, 14:6 and Nogah, and Nepheg, and Japhia, 14:7 and Elishama, and Beeliada, and Eliphelet. 14:8 When the Philistines heard that David was anointed king over all Israel, all the Philistines went up to seek David: and David heard of it, and went out against them. 14:9 Now the Philistines had come and made a raid in the valley of Rephaim. 14:10 David inquired of God, saying, “Shall I go up against the Philistines? Will you deliver them into my hand?”

Yahweh said to him, “Go up; for I will deliver them into your hand.”

14:11 So they came up to Baal Perazim, and David struck them there; and David said, God has broken my enemies by my hand, like the breach of waters. Therefore they called the name of that place Baal Perazim. 14:12 They left their gods there; and David gave commandment, and they were burned with fire. 14:13 The Philistines yet again made a raid in the valley. 14:14 David inquired again of God; and God said to him, “You shall not go up after them. Turn away from them, and come on them over against the mulberry trees. 14:15 It shall be, when you hear the sound of marching in the tops of the mulberry trees, that then you shall go out to battle; for God has gone out before you to strike the army of the Philistines.”

14:16 David did as God commanded him: and they struck the army of the Philistines from Gibeon even to Gezer. 14:17 The fame of David went out into all lands; and Yahweh brought the fear of him on all nations.

#3 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,287 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 10:30 AM

Second Portion

Ezekiel 26

26:1 It happened in the eleventh year, in the first day of the month, that the word of Yahweh came to me, saying, 26:2 Son of man, because Tyre has said against Jerusalem, Aha, she is broken: the gate of the peoples; she is turned to me; I shall be replenished, now that she is laid waste: 26:3 therefore thus says the Lord Yahweh, Behold, I am against you, Tyre, and will cause many nations to come up against you, as the sea causes its waves to come up. 26:4 They shall destroy the walls of Tyre, and break down her towers: I will also scrape her dust from her, and make her a bare rock. 26:5 She shall be a place for the spreading of nets in the midst of the sea; for I have spoken it, says the Lord Yahweh; and she shall become a spoil to the nations. 26:6 Her daughters who are in the field shall be slain with the sword: and they shall know that I am Yahweh. 26:7 For thus says the Lord Yahweh: Behold, I will bring on Tyre Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, king of kings, from the north, with horses, and with chariots, and with horsemen, and a company, and many people. 26:8 He shall kill your daughters in the field with the sword; and he shall make forts against you, and cast up a mound against you, and raise up the buckler against you. 26:9 He shall set his battering engines against your walls, and with his axes he shall break down your towers. 26:10 By reason of the abundance of his horses their dust shall cover you: your walls shall shake at the noise of the horsemen, and of the wagons, and of the chariots, when he shall enter into your gates, as men enter into a city in which is made a breach. 26:11 With the hoofs of his horses shall he tread down all your streets; he shall kill your people with the sword; and the pillars of your strength shall go down to the ground. 26:12 They shall make a spoil of your riches, and make a prey of your merchandise; and they shall break down your walls, and destroy your pleasant houses; and they shall lay your stones and your timber and your dust in the midst of the waters. 26:13 I will cause the noise of your songs to cease; and the sound of your harps shall be no more heard. 26:14 I will make you a bare rock; you shall be a place for the spreading of nets; you shall be built no more: for I Yahweh have spoken it, says the Lord Yahweh. 26:15 Thus says the Lord Yahweh to Tyre: shall not the islands shake at the sound of your fall, when the wounded groan, when the slaughter is made in the midst of you? 26:16 Then all the princes of the sea shall come down from their thrones, and lay aside their robes, and strip off their embroidered garments: they shall clothe themselves with trembling; they shall sit on the ground, and shall tremble every moment, and be astonished at you. 26:17 They shall take up a lamentation over you, and tell you, How you are destroyed, who were inhabited by seafaring men, the renowned city, who was strong in the sea, she and her inhabitants, who caused their terror to be on all who lived there! 26:18 Now shall the islands tremble in the day of your fall; yes, the islands that are in the sea shall be dismayed at your departure. 26:19 For thus says the Lord Yahweh: When I shall make you a desolate city, like the cities that are not inhabited; when I shall bring up the deep on you, and the great waters shall cover you; 26:20 then will I bring you down with those who descend into the pit, to the people of old time, and will make you to dwell in the lower parts of the earth, in the places that are desolate of old, with those who go down to the pit, that you be not inhabited; and I will set glory in the land of the living: 26:21 I will make you a terror, and you shall no more have any being; though you are sought for, yet you will never be found again, says the Lord Yahweh.

#4 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,287 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 10:31 AM

Third Portion

Luke 23

23:1 The whole company of them rose up and brought him before Pilate. 23:2 They began to accuse him, saying, “We found this man perverting the nation, forbidding paying taxes to Caesar, and saying that he himself is Christ, a king.”

23:3 Pilate asked him, “Are you the King of the Jews?”

He answered him, “So you say.”

23:4 Pilate said to the chief priests and the multitudes, “I find no basis for a charge against this man.”

23:5 But they insisted, saying, “He stirs up the people, teaching throughout all Judea, beginning from Galilee even to this place.” 23:6 But when Pilate heard Galilee mentioned, he asked if the man was a Galilean. 23:7 When he found out that he was in Herod’s jurisdiction, he sent him to Herod, who was also in Jerusalem during those days.

23:8 Now when Herod saw Jesus, he was exceedingly glad, for he had wanted to see him for a long time, because he had heard many things about him. He hoped to see some miracle done by him. 23:9 He questioned him with many words, but he gave no answers. 23:10 The chief priests and the scribes stood, vehemently accusing him. 23:11 Herod with his soldiers humiliated him and mocked him. Dressing him in luxurious clothing, they sent him back to Pilate. 23:12 Herod and Pilate became friends with each other that very day, for before that they were enemies with each other.

23:13 Pilate called together the chief priests and the rulers and the people, 23:14 and said to them, “You brought this man to me as one that perverts the people, and see, I have examined him before you, and found no basis for a charge against this man concerning those things of which you accuse him. 23:15 Neither has Herod, for I sent you to him, and see, nothing worthy of death has been done by him. 23:16 I will therefore chastise him and release him.”

23:17 Now he had to release one prisoner to them at the feast. 23:18 But they all cried out together, saying, “Away with this man! Release to us Barabbas!”— 23:19 one who was thrown into prison for a certain revolt in the city, and for murder.

23:20 Then Pilate spoke to them again, wanting to release Jesus, 23:21 but they shouted, saying, “Crucify! Crucify him!”

23:22 He said to them the third time, “Why? What evil has this man done? I have found no capital crime in him. I will therefore chastise him and release him.” 23:23 But they were urgent with loud voices, asking that he might be crucified. Their voices and the voices of the chief priests prevailed. 23:24 Pilate decreed that what they asked for should be done. 23:25 He released him who had been thrown into prison for insurrection and murder, for whom they asked, but he delivered Jesus up to their will.

23:26 When they led him away, they grabbed one Simon of Cyrene, coming from the country, and laid on him the cross, to carry it after Jesus. 23:27 A great multitude of the people followed him, including women who also mourned and lamented him. 23:28 But Jesus, turning to them, said, “Daughters of Jerusalem, don’t weep for me, but weep for yourselves and for your children. 23:29 For behold, the days are coming in which they will say, ‘Blessed are the barren, the wombs that never bore, and the breasts that never nursed.’ 23:30 Then they will begin to tell the mountains, ‘Fall on us!’ and tell the hills, ‘Cover us.’ 23:31 For if they do these things in the green tree, what will be done in the dry?”

23:32 There were also others, two criminals, led with him to be put to death. 23:33 When they came to the place that is called The Skull, they crucified him there with the criminals, one on the right and the other on the left.

23:34 Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they don’t know what they are doing.”

Dividing his garments among them, they cast lots. 23:35 The people stood watching. The rulers with them also scoffed at him, saying, “He saved others. Let him save himself, if this is the Christ of God, his chosen one!”

23:36 The soldiers also mocked him, coming to him and offering him vinegar, 23:37 and saying, “If you are the King of the Jews, save yourself!”

23:38 An inscription was also written over him in letters of Greek, Latin, and Hebrew: “THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.”

23:39 One of the criminals who was hanged insulted him, saying, “If you are the Christ, save yourself and us!”

23:40 But the other answered, and rebuking him said, “Don’t you even fear God, seeing you are under the same condemnation? 23:41 And we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward for our deeds, but this man has done nothing wrong.” 23:42 He said to Jesus, “Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom.”

23:43 Jesus said to him, “Assuredly I tell you, today you will be with me in Paradise.”

23:44 It was now about the sixth hour, and darkness came over the whole land until the ninth hour. 23:45 The sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was torn in two. 23:46 Jesus, crying with a loud voice, said, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit!” Having said this, he breathed his last.

23:47 When the centurion saw what was done, he glorified God, saying, “Certainly this was a righteous man.” 23:48 All the multitudes that came together to see this, when they saw the things that were done, returned home beating their breasts. 23:49 All his acquaintances, and the women who followed with him from Galilee, stood at a distance, watching these things.

23:50 Behold, a man named Joseph, who was a member of the council, a good and righteous man 23:51 (he had not consented to their counsel and deed), from Arimathaea, a city of the Jews, who was also waiting for the Kingdom of God: 23:52 this man went to Pilate, and asked for Jesus’ body. 23:53 He took it down, and wrapped it in a linen cloth, and laid him in a tomb that was cut in stone, where no one had ever been laid. 23:54 It was the day of the Preparation, and the Sabbath was drawing near. 23:55 The women, who had come with him out of Galilee, followed after, and saw the tomb, and how his body was laid. 23:56 They returned, and prepared spices and ointments. On the Sabbath they rested according to the commandment.

World English Bible - (WEB) - Public Domain

#5 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,287 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:25 PM

30 September 2008

1 Chronicles 13; 14
Ezekiel 26
Luke 23

#6 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,287 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:48 PM

30 September 2009

1 Chronicles 13; 14
Ezekiel 26
Luke 23

#7 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,287 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:54 AM

30 September 2010

1 Chronicles 13; 14
Ezekiel 26
Luke 23

PILATE HELPLESS

Pilate was the most powerful man in Israel in the days of Jesus. But he was strangely helpless in carrying out his own desire to let Jesus go free, though he said “I find no guilt in this man” [Luke 23:4] and “nothing deserving of death has been done by him” [Luke 23:15] “I will release him” [Luke 23:16 and again Luke 23:22] After all these declarations, it is strange how Pilate gives in. When we compare the different gospel records we get a clearer picture, one issue being that Jesus was claiming kingship. Pilate queried him on this, but said Jesus, “My kingdom is not of this world (or age)”

So Pilate, the most powerful man in Jerusalem was indifferent to truth and justice and gave in to the demands that Jesus should be crucified; the biased and prejudiced jealous men got their way. There is a parallel today in what happened. Like the voices of the prejudiced religious leaders of that age, so today we have the insistent voices (and writings) of the atheistic and agnostic intellectual leaders – and they are getting louder!

The great majority argue that evolution is true, there is no God. They are no better that the Jewish leaders in the time of Jesus who blindfolded their minds to the heavenly power of Jesus. When you add all the evidence together the intelligent mind becomes certain that Jesus is the coming king, that he did rise from the dead!

Just as the resurrection of Jesus astonished the Jewish leaders – and those still alive died in the later destruction of Jerusalem, so the return of Jesus will astonish the world – and those who do not believe and are not ready for his coming, instead being convinced there is no God, they will perish, but only after they have seen the folly of their beliefs.

What do we believe? Are we held captive by the spirit that surrounds us, as Pilate was? If we are, we are not ready for his coming!
-------
- DC

#8 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,287 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:42 AM

30 September 2011

1 Chronicles 13; 14
Ezekiel 26
Luke 23

"I WILL MAKE ... HER LIKE A BARE ROCK"

Beginning with yesterday’s reading in Ezekiel we see how God causes the prophet to turn from sending warning messages to Jerusalem to receiving “the word of God’ about other nations. Today [Ezekiel 26] is the first of 3 chapters about Tyre. The prophecy is given “in the eleventh year” [Ezekiel 26:1], which is the year Jerusalem is destroyed by Babylon. [Jeremiah 39:2]

The prophecy is provoked “because Tyre said concerning Jerusalem, ‘Aha, the gate of the peoples is broken … I shall be replenished, now that she is laid waste” Leading God to say, “I am against you, O Tyre, and will bring up many nations … they shall destroy the walls of Tyre and … will scrape her soil from her and make her like a bare rock … a place for the spreading of nets” [Ezekiel 26:2-5]

Two things occurred to us as we read this. First, the people of Tyre had had a special relationship with Jerusalem and its people; they had worked with David and then with Solomon in building the Temple – and that generation had been blessed as a result! But now, they are anti-Israel! Second, the prophecy of the destruction of Tyre is fulfilled in 2 stages, the first stage was fairly immediate by Nebuchadnezzar, the second stage was not until about 250 years later in 332 BC at the hands of Alexander the Great. This aggressive warrior used the ruins of the old city and even scraped the soil off the rocks to build a causeway to reach the island city! A detailed prophecy that proved totally accurate.

A third point worth noting is Ezekiel 26:7, “For thus says the Lord GOD: behold I will bring against Tyre from the north Nebuchadnezzar …” Now Babylon is almost due east of Tyre. The fact that danger comes from the north does not necessarily mean it originates in the north. Therefore we should not use ‘direction’ as a conclusive point of evidence when trying to identify those who attack Israel when we come to read Ezekiel 38; 39.

Finally, those who rejoice as Tyre did, when they see Jerusalem in trouble should consider what happened to Tyre because of this attitude – but of course they know not the word of God. But those who do know that word need to act on what they know.
-------
- DC

#9 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,287 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:34 AM

30 September 2012

1 Chronicles 13; 14
Ezekiel 26
Luke 23

“I FIND NO GUILT IN THIS MAN”

Pilate was the most powerful man in Israel in the days of Jesus. But he was strangely helpless in carrying out his own desire to let Jesus go free, though he said “I find no guilt in this man” [Luke 23:4] and “nothing deserving of death has been done by him” [Luke 23:15] “I will release him” [Luke 23:16 and again Luke 23:22] After all these declarations, it is strange how Pilate gives in. When we compare the different gospel records we get a clearer picture, one issue being that Jesus was claiming kingship. Pilate queried him on this, but said Jesus, “My kingdom is not of this world (i.e. age)”

So Pilate, the most powerful man in Jerusalem was indifferent to truth and justice and gave in to the demands that Jesus should be crucified; the biased and prejudiced jealous Jews got their way. There is a parallel today in what happened. Like the voices of the prejudiced religious leaders of that age, so today we have the insistent voices (and writings) of the atheistic and agnostic intellectual leaders – and they are getting louder!

The great majority argue that evolution is true, there is no God. They are no better that the Jewish leaders in the time of Jesus who blindfolded their minds to the heavenly power of Jesus. When you add all the real evidence together the intelligent spiritual mind becomes certain that Jesus is the coming king, that he did rise from the dead!

Just as the resurrection of Jesus astonished the Jewish leaders – and those of them still alive died in the later destruction of Jerusalem, so the return of Jesus will astonish the world – and those who do not believe and are not ready for his coming will perish, but only after many have seen the folly of their beliefs.

Is there a danger that some who read this are being held captive by the spirit that surrounds them, as Pilate was? But we can say, we are not judges like Pilate was deciding some case before us!

O yes we are! We are deciding our own case – and we know there is a case to be made out against us – but we have a Saviour and if we have a genuine relationship with him then we are sure of support from him. The support available is even more wonderful than that, for the disciple John wrote inviting us to “reassure our heart before him; for whenever our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, he knows everything.” [1 John 3:19-20], So as we “judge” ourselves and develop our relationship with our Lord Jesus, may we be ready for his coming.
-------
- DC

#10 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,287 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:27 AM

30 September 2013

1 Chronicles 13; 14
Ezekiel 26
Luke 23

PILATE … “I WILL RELEASE HIM”

Pilate was the most powerful man in Israel in the days of Jesus. But he was strangely helpless in carrying out his own desire to let Jesus go free, though he said, as we read today, “I find no guilt in this man” [Luke 23:4] and “nothing deserving of death has been done by him” [Luke 23:15] “I will release him” (Luke 23:16 and again Luke 23:22) After all these declarations, it is strange how Pilate gives in. When we compare the different gospel records we get a clearer picture, one issue being that Jesus was claiming kingship. Pilate queried him on this, but said Jesus, “My kingdom is not of this world (or age)”

So Pilate, the most powerful man in Jerusalem was indifferent to truth and justice and gave in to the demands that Jesus should be crucified; the biased and prejudiced jealous men got their way. There is a parallel today in what happened. Like the voices of the prejudiced religious leaders of that age, so today we have the insistent voices (and writings) of the atheistic and agnostic intellectual leaders – and they are getting really loud!

The great majority argue that evolution is true, there is no God. These are no better than the Jewish leaders in the time of Jesus who blindfolded their minds to the heavenly power of Jesus.

When you add all the evidence of history together with the testimonies in the Bible the intelligent deeply thinking mind becomes certain that Jesus did rise from the dead and equally certain that he is the coming king.

Just as the resurrection of Jesus astonished the Jewish leaders – and those still alive suffered their deserved fate in the later destruction of Jerusalem, even so, the return of Jesus will astonish the world – and those who do not believe and are not ready for his coming, being convinced there is no God, they will perish, but only after they have seen the folly of their beliefs.

What do we believe? Are we influenced, even held captive by the spirit that surrounds us, as Pilate was? If we are, it is clear we are not ready for Christ’s coming – we are without hope – this life is all we have. We cannot take a ‘wait and see’ attitude, a decision has to made as to where we stand.

Oh, yes, this life is, for many, a very interesting and exciting life! Has the world made us sort of helpless, a prisoner to all the distracting voices and activities – so that the atheistic opinions so strongly voiced that surround us dull our minds? It cannot be too long before Christ’s kingdom is a reality! Will you be there? Let us fully realize we make the answer now.
-------
- DC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users