#1 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,498 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 09:15 AM

First Portion

1 Kings 13

13:1 Behold, there came a man of God out of Judah by the word of Yahweh to Beth El: and Jeroboam was standing by the altar to burn incense. 13:2 He cried against the altar by the word of Yahweh, and said, “Altar, altar, thus says Yahweh: ‘Behold, a son shall be born to the house of David, Josiah by name. On you he shall sacrifice the priests of the high places who burn incense on you, and they will burn men’s bones on you.’” 13:3 He gave a sign the same day, saying, “This is the sign which Yahweh has spoken: Behold, the altar will be split apart, and the ashes that are on it will be poured out.”

13:4 It happened, when the king heard the saying of the man of God, which he cried against the altar in Bethel, that Jeroboam put out his hand from the altar, saying, “Seize him!” His hand, which he put out against him, dried up, so that he could not draw it back again to himself. 13:5 The altar also was split apart, and the ashes poured out from the altar, according to the sign which the man of God had given by the word of Yahweh. 13:6 The king answered the man of God, “Now entreat the favor of Yahweh your God, and pray for me, that my hand may be restored me again.”

The man of God entreated Yahweh, and the king’s hand was restored him again, and became as it was before.

13:7 The king said to the man of God, “Come home with me, and refresh yourself, and I will give you a reward.”

13:8 The man of God said to the king, “Even if you gave me half of your house, I would not go in with you, neither would I eat bread nor drink water in this place; 13:9 for so was it commanded me by the word of Yahweh, saying, ‘You shall eat no bread, nor drink water, neither return by the way that you came.’” 13:10 So he went another way, and didn’t return by the way that he came to Bethel.

13:11 Now there lived an old prophet in Bethel; and one of his sons came and told him all the works that the man of God had done that day in Bethel. They also told their father the words which he had spoken to the king.

13:12 Their father said to them, “Which way did he go?” Now his sons had seen which way the man of God went, who came from Judah. 13:13 He said to his sons, “Saddle the donkey for me.” So they saddled the donkey for him; and he rode on it. 13:14 He went after the man of God, and found him sitting under an oak. He said to him, “Are you the man of God who came from Judah?”

He said, “I am.” 13:15 Then he said to him, “Come home with me, and eat bread.”

13:16 He said, “I may not return with you, nor go in with you; neither will I eat bread nor drink water with you in this place. 13:17 For it was said to me by the word of Yahweh, ‘You shall eat no bread nor drink water there, nor turn again to go by the way that you came.’”

13:18 He said to him, “I also am a prophet as you are; and an angel spoke to me by the word of Yahweh, saying, ‘Bring him back with you into your house, that he may eat bread and drink water.’” He lied to him.

13:19 So he went back with him, and ate bread in his house, and drank water. 13:20 It happened, as they sat at the table, that the word of Yahweh came to the prophet who brought him back; 13:21 and he cried to the man of God who came from Judah, saying, “Thus says Yahweh, ‘Because you have been disobedient to the mouth of Yahweh, and have not kept the commandment which Yahweh your God commanded you, 13:22 but came back, and have eaten bread and drunk water in the place of which he said to you, “Eat no bread, and drink no water;” your body shall not come to the tomb of your fathers.’”

13:23 It happened, after he had eaten bread, and after he had drunk, that he saddled the donkey for the prophet whom he had brought back. 13:24 When he had gone, a lion met him by the way, and killed him. His body was cast in the way, and the donkey stood by it. The lion also stood by the body. 13:25 Behold, men passed by, and saw the body cast in the way, and the lion standing by the body; and they came and told it in the city where the old prophet lived. 13:26 When the prophet who brought him back from the way heard of it, he said, “It is the man of God who was disobedient to the mouth of Yahweh. Therefore Yahweh has delivered him to the lion, which has mauled him and slain him, according to the word of Yahweh, which he spoke to him.” 13:27 He spoke to his sons, saying, “Saddle the donkey for me.” They saddled it. 13:28 He went and found his body cast in the way, and the donkey and the lion standing by the body. The lion had not eaten the body, nor mauled the donkey. 13:29 The prophet took up the body of the man of God, and laid it on the donkey, and brought it back. He came to the city of the old prophet to mourn, and to bury him. 13:30 He laid his body in his own grave; and they mourned over him, saying, “Alas, my brother!”

13:31 It happened, after he had buried him, that he spoke to his sons, saying, “When I am dead, then bury me in the tomb in which the man of God is buried. Lay my bones beside his bones. 13:32 For the saying which he cried by the word of Yahweh against the altar in Bethel, and against all the houses of the high places which are in the cities of Samaria, will surely happen.”

13:33 After this thing Jeroboam didn’t return from his evil way, but again made priests of the high places from among all the people. Whoever wanted to, he consecrated him, that there might be priests of the high places. 13:34 This thing became sin to the house of Jeroboam, even to cut it off, and to destroy it from off the surface of the earth.

#2 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,498 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 09:16 AM

Second Portion

Jeremiah 39

39:1 It happened when Jerusalem was taken, (in the ninth year of Zedekiah king of Judah, in the tenth month, came Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon and all his army against Jerusalem, and besieged it; 39:2 in the eleventh year of Zedekiah, in the fourth month, the ninth day of the month, a breach was made in the city), 39:3 that all the princes of the king of Babylon came in, and sat in the middle gate, to wit, Nergal Sharezer, Samgarnebo, Sarsechim, Rabsaris, Nergal Sharezer, Rabmag, with all the rest of the princes of the king of Babylon. 39:4 It happened that, when Zedekiah the king of Judah and all the men of war saw them, then they fled, and went forth out of the city by night, by the way of the king’s garden, through the gate between the two walls; and he went out toward the Arabah. 39:5 But the army of the Chaldeans pursued after them, and overtook Zedekiah in the plains of Jericho: and when they had taken him, they brought him up to Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon to Riblah in the land of Hamath; and he gave judgment on him. 39:6 Then the king of Babylon killed the sons of Zedekiah in Riblah before his eyes: also the king of Babylon killed all the nobles of Judah. 39:7 Moreover he put out Zedekiah’s eyes, and bound him in fetters, to carry him to Babylon. 39:8 The Chaldeans burned the king’s house, and the houses of the people, with fire, and broke down the walls of Jerusalem. 39:9 Then Nebuzaradan the captain of the guard carried away captive into Babylon the residue of the people who remained in the city, the deserters also who fell away to him, and the residue of the people who remained. 39:10 But Nebuzaradan the captain of the guard left of the poor of the people, who had nothing, in the land of Judah, and gave them vineyards and fields at the same time. 39:11 Now Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon commanded Nebuzaradan the captain of the guard concerning Jeremiah, saying, 39:12 Take him, and look well to him, and do him no harm; but do to him even as he shall tell you. 39:13 So Nebuzaradan the captain of the guard sent, and Nebushazban, Rabsaris, and Nergal Sharezer, Rabmag, and all the chief officers of the king of Babylon; 39:14 they sent, and took Jeremiah out of the court of the guard, and committed him to Gedaliah the son of Ahikam, the son of Shaphan, that he should carry him home: so he lived among the people. 39:15 Now the word of Yahweh came to Jeremiah, while he was shut up in the court of the guard, saying, 39:16 Go, and speak to Ebedmelech the Ethiopian, saying, Thus says Yahweh of Armies, the God of Israel: Behold, I will bring my words on this city for evil, and not for good; and they shall be accomplished before you in that day. 39:17 But I will deliver you in that day, says Yahweh; and you shall not be given into the hand of the men of whom you are afraid. 39:18 For I will surely save you, and you shall not fall by the sword, but your life shall be for a prey to you; because you have put your trust in me, says Yahweh.

#3 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,498 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 09:18 AM

Third Portion

Mark 13

13:1 As he went out of the temple, one of his disciples said to him, “Teacher, see what kind of stones and what kind of buildings!”

13:2 Jesus said to him, “Do you see these great buildings? There will not be left here one stone on another, which will not be thrown down.”

13:3 As he sat on the Mount of Olives opposite the temple, Peter, James, John, and Andrew asked him privately, 13:4 “Tell us, when will these things be? What is the sign that these things are all about to be fulfilled?”

13:5 Jesus, answering, began to tell them, “Be careful that no one leads you astray. 13:6 For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am he!’ and will lead many astray.

13:7 “When you hear of wars and rumors of wars, don’t be troubled. For those must happen, but the end is not yet. 13:8 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be earthquakes in various places. There will be famines and troubles. These things are the beginning of birth pains. 13:9 But watch yourselves, for they will deliver you up to councils. You will be beaten in synagogues. You will stand before rulers and kings for my sake, for a testimony to them. 13:10 The Good News must first be preached to all the nations. 13:11 When they lead you away and deliver you up, don’t be anxious beforehand, or premeditate what you will say, but say whatever will be given you in that hour. For it is not you who speak, but the Holy Spirit.

13:12 “Brother will deliver up brother to death, and the father his child. Children will rise up against parents, and cause them to be put to death. 13:13 You will be hated by all men for my name’s sake, but he who endures to the end, the same will be saved. 13:14 But when you see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not (let the reader understand), then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, 13:15 and let him who is on the housetop not go down, nor enter in, to take anything out of his house. 13:16 Let him who is in the field not return back to take his cloak. 13:17 But woe to those who are with child and to those who nurse babies in those days! 13:18 Pray that your flight won’t be in the winter. 13:19 For in those days there will be oppression, such as there has not been the like from the beginning of the creation which God created until now, and never will be. 13:20 Unless the Lord had shortened the days, no flesh would have been saved; but for the sake of the chosen ones, whom he picked out, he shortened the days. 13:21 Then if anyone tells you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or, ‘Look, there!’ don’t believe it. 13:22 For there will arise false christs and false prophets, and will show signs and wonders, that they may lead astray, if possible, even the chosen ones. 13:23 But you watch.

“Behold, I have told you all things beforehand. 13:24 But in those days, after that oppression, the sun will be darkened, the moon will not give its light, 13:25 the stars will be falling from the sky, and the powers that are in the heavens will be shaken. 13:26 Then they will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory. 13:27 Then he will send out his angels, and will gather together his chosen ones from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of the sky.

13:28 “Now from the fig tree, learn this parable. When the branch has now become tender, and puts forth its leaves, you know that the summer is near; 13:29 even so you also, when you see these things coming to pass, know that it is near, at the doors. 13:30 Most certainly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things happen. 13:31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away. 13:32 But of that day or that hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. 13:33 Watch, keep alert, and pray; for you don’t know when the time is.

13:34 “It is like a man, traveling to another country, having left his house, and given authority to his servants, and to each one his work, and also commanded the doorkeeper to keep watch. 13:35 Watch therefore, for you don’t know when the lord of the house is coming, whether at evening, or at midnight, or when the rooster crows, or in the morning; 13:36 lest coming suddenly he might find you sleeping. 13:37 What I tell you, I tell all: Watch.”

World English Bible - (WEB) - Public Domain

#4 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,498 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:11 AM

18 August 2008

1 Kings 13
Jeremiah 39
Mark 13

#5 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,498 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:25 PM

18 August 2009

1 Kings 13
Jeremiah 39
Mark 13

#6 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,498 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:16 AM

18 August 2010

1 Kings 13
Jeremiah 39
Mark 13

HE PUT HIS SERVANTS IN CHARGE

Once again we read what is known as ‘The Olivet Prophecy’. This teaching of Jesus is specifically to some of his disciples as they sit on the Mount of Olives that overlooks Jerusalem. He had shocked them by saying the Temple was going to be destroyed. They were bewildered, they were expecting him to now assert his rule as king and overcome by some miraculous demonstration of power all opposition, including the Romans.

Much of our chapter today (Mark 13) is primarily about the coming destruction of the Temple and Jerusalem and the extreme plight of the people at that time. But Jesus extends his visionary words beyond that time to his second coming again at a similar and an even greater time of trouble. It seems to us that some of his words have a dual application, both to the time of trouble that engulfed the Jews in AD67-70 when, according to Josephus a million Jews died. But clearly there is a specific application to a final time of trouble for the whole world, “such tribulation as has not been from the beginning of creation until now and never will be (again).” [Mark 13:19]

His words to these chosen few disciples end with a personal message and parable to all true believers. “Be on your guard, stay awake. For you do not know when the time will come” [Mark 13:33]. Jesus talks of a “man going on a journey”(himself) who “puts his servants in charge, each with his work” [Mark 13:34] What is the work of these servants? They are in charge! In charge of what? The answer is that they should be representing him, they are in charge of his message, although they “do not know when the Master will come” [Mark 13:35].

On another occasion Jesus answered a query by Peter by warning that some servants would think “My Master is delayed in coming” and begins to beat fellow servants “and to eat and drink and get drunk, the master of that servant will come … (at) an hour he does not know” [Luke 12:45,46]. The lack of diligent Bible reading today by the servants the Lord has left in charge is becoming more evident. Yet the world knows it is facing an impossible future and more and more people, especially young people are living for the moment, that is all they dare to think about. Are you a servant of the Lord? If so, hear the Jesus’ words, “Be on your guard, stay awake,” serve him by making his word known to any who will listen.
-------
- DC

#7 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,498 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:00 PM

18 August 2011

1 Kings 13
Jeremiah 39
Mark 13

“YOU DO NOT KNOW WHEN THE TIME WILL COME”

Today we again read what is known as ‘The Olivet Prophecy’; we read it every 2 months, is it TOO familiar to us? This teaching of Jesus is specifically to his disciples as they sat on the Mount of Olives where they could look down on the Temple. He had shocked them by saying the Temple was going to be destroyed. They were bewildered, they were expecting him to very soon assert his rule as king with a miraculous demonstration of power.

Much of our chapter today (Mark 13) is primarily about the coming destruction of the Temple and Jerusalem and the extreme plight of the people at that time. This happened in AD70. But in places Jesus extends his visionary words beyond that time to his second coming when there will be a an even greater time of trouble for the whole world, but centred on Jerusalem. Some of his words apply to both that time (AD67-70) when, according to Josephus a million Jews died, but some of his words apply specifically to that final time of trouble, “such tribulation as has not been from the beginning of creation until now and never will be (again).” [Mark 13:19]

Christ’s words end with a personal message and parable for all true believers. “Be on your guard, stay awake. For you do not know when the time will come” [Mark 13:33]. Jesus talks of a “man going on a journey”(himself) who “puts his servants in charge, each with his work” [Mark 13:34] What is the work of these servants? They are in charge! In charge of what? The answer is that they should be representing him, they are in charge of his message, although they “do not know when the Master will come” [Mark 13:35].

On another occasion Jesus answered a query by Peter by warning that some servants would think “My Master is delayed in coming” and begins to beat fellow servants “and to eat and drink and get drunk, and the master of that servant will come … (at) an hour he does not know” [Luke 12:45,46]. The lack of diligent Bible reading today by the servants the Lord has left in charge is becoming more evident. Yet the world knows it is facing an impossible future and more and more people, especially young people are living for the moment, which is all they care to think about. Are you a servant of the Lord? If so, hear Jesus’ words, “Be on your guard, stay awake,” serve him by making his word known to any who will listen.
-------
- DC

#8 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,498 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:12 AM

18 August 2012

1 Kings 13
Jeremiah 39
Mark 13

"FOR YOU DO NOT KNOW ..."

Today we have read the challenging text of Mark – his record of the words of Jesus [Mark 13] in what we usually call the ‘Olivet prophecy’. The disciples had been astonished by his prediction that the Temple they had just praised would be destroyed. Four of them “asked him privately ‘Tell us when will these things be, and what will be the sign when all these things are accomplished?” [Mark 13:3-4]

These are two different questions, they imagined they applied to the same event – but they were wrong. We can see which parts of the response of Jesus apply to the events 40 years later when the Romans destroyed Jerusalem and the Temple; we can see there is a double application of some of what he says.

The most important part for them and also for us is how we should personally behave up to the time of this awesome climax. Mark 13:9-18 primarily applies to them. Of special thought for us is Jesus words’, ”the gospel must first be proclaimed to all nations” [Mark 13:10] and we think the initial application is to its proclamation throughout the nation of Israel in those first 40 years. However, the proclamation throughout all the world is now just about complete!

The personal message cannot be over emphasized! “Be on your guard, keep awake for you do not know when the time will come … lest he come suddenly and find you asleep. And what I say to you I say to all: Stay awake.” [Mark 13:33,36,37] Daily Bible reading is an essential foundation to staying awake and fully developing our relationship with our Saviour. The time is surely coming when “he will send out the angels and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of heaven” [Mark 13:27] (that is, under the heavens).

May we be awake and alert. Our reading will make us aware of the “false prophets” who will “lead astray, if possible, the elect. But be on your guard: I have told you all things beforehand.” [Mark 13:22-23] That is, all things that are needful for us to know, we neglect these “all things” at our peril.
-------
- DC

#9 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,498 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:40 AM

18 August 2013

1 Kings 13
Jeremiah 39
Mark 13

“YOU DO NOT KNOW WHEN THE TIME WILL COME”

Today we again read what is known as ‘The Olivet Prophecy’; we read it every 2 months, is it TOO familiar to us?

This teaching of Jesus is specifically to his disciples as they sat on the Mount of Olives where they could look down on the Temple. He had shocked them by saying the Temple was soon going to be destroyed.

Much of our chapter today [Mark 13] is primarily about the coming destruction of the Temple and Jerusalem and the extreme plight of the people at that time. This happened in AD70. But in some of his words Jesus extends his vision beyond that time to his second coming when there will be a an even greater time of trouble; it will involve the whole world, but Jerusalem with be the focal point. Some of his words apply to both that time (AD67-70) when, according to Josephus about a million Jews died, but other words apply specifically to the final time of trouble. Jesus says there will be “such tribulation as has not been from the beginning of creation until now and never will be (again).” [Mark 13:19]

Christ’s words end with a personal message and parable which all true believers must heed: “Be on your guard, stay awake. For you do not know when the time will come” [Mark 13:33]. Jesus talks of a “man going on a journey” (himself) who “puts his servants in charge, each with his work” [Mark 13:34] What is the work of these servants? They are in charge! In charge of what? The answer is that they are to represent him, they are in charge of his message, although they “do not know when the Master will come” [Mark 13:35].

On another occasion Jesus answered a query by Peter by warning that some servants would think “My Master is delayed in coming” and they begin to beat their fellow servants “and to eat and drink and get drunk, and the master of that servant will come … (at) an hour he does not know” [Luke 12:45-46].

The lack of diligent Bible reading today is becoming more evident. Yet the world knows it is facing an impossible future and more and more people, especially young people are living for the moment, that is all most want to think about! Are you a servant of the Lord? If so, hear Jesus’ words, “Be on your guard, stay awake,” discover the power of prayer for, wrote James, “the prayer of a righteous person has great power in its working” [James 5:16]. Let us serve the Lord by making his word known to any who will listen.
-------
- DC

#10 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,498 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:41 AM

18 August 2014

1 Kings 13
Jeremiah 39
Mark 13

"WHAT WONDERFUL BUILDINGS"

By the standards of 2,000 years ago Jerusalem's Temple was outstanding, "what wonderful buildings" the disciples said to Jesus as they "came out of the Temple" [Mark 13:1]. How shocked they must have been at his reply, "Do you see these great buildings? There will not be left here one stone upon another that will not be thrown down." [Mark 13:2] And so they were - 40 years later!

Similarly, the Temple and city of Jeremiah's day were destroyed and we read today in his 39th chapter of how all that the LORD had caused him to prophesy against the city took place and the king and all his officials are in great distress and most of them are killed.

Mark's chapter records the pronouncements of doom Jesus made against Jerusalem itself, these have some parallels with events that Jeremiah experienced. However, in responding to his disciples anxious requests for further explanations Jesus described far more than the destruction of these "wonderful buildings."

"This must take place," he said, "but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be earthquakes in various places …" [Mark 13:7-8] He made a most significant point when he added, Mark 13:10, "and this gospel must first be proclaimed to all nations" - and only now has this happened - we understand d that at least the gospels have now been translated into every known language. Surely we can say "What wonderful" foreknowledge the Bible reveals! Jesus told them, "… false prophets will arise … to lead astray if possible the elect" [Mark 13:22]. Jeremiah also had to contend with false prophets [Jeremiah 29:24-32]

"But be on your guard Jesus said to the disciples, I have told you all things beforehand" [Mark 13:23] If we are truly his disciples, we will realize that among the "all things" are events that apply to our generation, for Jerusalem is no longer "trampled underfoot" and so "the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled." [Luke 21:24] Finally, our Mark chapter ends, "Therefore stay awake – for you do not know when the Master of the house will come ..." [Mark 13:35-37] A message for you and I.
-------
- DC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users