7 replies to this topic

#1 Chris

Chris

Rho

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 02:36 PM

I just saw that Gileade was posting different Portuguese versions of the Bible for Steven and thought I'd ask the Spanish-speaking brothers what version of the Spanish Bible they use and which one they prefer. I contacted Sister Paiva in Guadalajara and she said there they use the Reina-Valera 1960 for the ministry but she preferred the LBLA. She said other Christadelphian brethren there prefer the NVI. What do you folks use? Prefer?

#2 Phil

Phil

Rho

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 09:50 PM

As far as Reina-Valera versions go, i ended up preferring the 1995 version. The 1960s version was still just that little bit clunky. When dealing with teenagers, there were still too many words in the 1960 that i had to explain to them, which was sort of weird! But generally the 1995 version would have a nicer rendering. It also seemed to use more natural phrasing. I had limited exposure to the NVI (though i obviously found it much the same as the NIV in english) or the LBLA (which i found to be quite nice when i came across it).
"I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless i live; yet not i, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which i now live in the flesh i live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
- Gal 2:20

-----------------

"She was one in a million, so there's FIVE MORE JUST IN NEW SOUTH WALES!!"
- The Whitlams

#3 Chris

Chris

Rho

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 02:08 AM

or the LBLA (which i found to be quite nice when i came across it).

Hmm, I've never really looked at the 1995 version. All I know is the RV 1960 is almost like reading a different Spanish than I am familiar with. My Spanish is slowly getting better, but it's a long, long way from the RV. Even my wife, who is fluent in Spanish, has problems with the RV. I have the LBLA on my E-Sword and like it alot....I can understand it. I've given myself the goal of becoming fluent by the year's end, Lord willing. Because of that I want to start taking a good bilingual Bible to meeting here, hence this thread.

Thanks for your thoughts Phil. I appreciate it.

#4 Phil

Phil

Rho

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 11:22 PM

No worries :ROFL:

The fundamental problem with the Reina-Valera, in the latin american context, is all this vosotros business. It's hard enough for native english speakers not raised on KJVisms to deal with "thee", thou", and "-eth", without having to cope with "-eth" like endings in the indicative, preterite, imperfect, future, subjunctive, past subjunctive, and conditional in a second language of a continent which hasn't used that verb form for hundreds of years, if ever.

Once you get past that, it's still excessively formal. The '95 version loses a lot of the unnecessary informality of language, but retains the vosotros problem.

Probably stick with the LBLA, although you'll find if you ever use it in a mission context (in South America at least) the Reina-Valera will probably be more wide-spread. Don't cut yourself off from it, and make sure you give yourself reading practice with the vosotros stuff (sermon on the mount is good), cos it'll help generally with getting your tongue around the language.
"I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless i live; yet not i, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which i now live in the flesh i live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

-----------------

- The Whitlams

#5 Chris

Chris

Rho

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 02:55 PM

Well, I purchased both the NVI and LBLA versions. While both are much easier for me to read, I found that the LBLA does use the vosotros conjugations and the NVI the ustedes. I haven't gotten my hands on a RV 1995 yet to compare.

#6 Sammo

Sammo

Pi

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:36 AM

Well, I purchased both the NVI and LBLA versions. While both are much easier for me to read, I found that the LBLA does use the vosotros conjugations and the NVI the ustedes. I haven't gotten my hands on a RV 1995 yet to compare.

Hi TwoPutt - any chance of an update on this? Am thinking of getting an english-spanish Bible (for latin america) and wondering which one to go for - does anyone know of a particularly good one?

Thanks
Sam

#7 Phil

Phil

Rho

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:47 AM

Hi Sammo,

Are you going to be working with an already established ecclesia through the CBMA? If so, have you checked out what they use locally? Since you're a non-native speaker you'll find it easier to read along if you use a similar version to them. (that applies even if it's a Reina-Valera chock full of that vosotros business).

-----------------

- The Whitlams

#8 Sammo

Sammo

Pi

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:39 AM

Hi Sammo,

Are you going to be working with an already established ecclesia through the CBMA? If so, have you checked out what they use locally? Since you're a non-native speaker you'll find it easier to read along if you use a similar version to them. (that applies even if it's a Reina-Valera chock full of that vosotros business).

Thanks Phil, yes, good point, I'll follow that up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users