11 replies to this topic

#1 Hyperion

Hyperion

Sigma

• Christadelphian Armoury
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 04:01 PM

I've received a lot of positive (and some negative) feedback from an exhortation I gave last Sunday. The overall impression I get is that it is worth sharing, so I will post the link here to the MP3.

The context of the exhortation was the impending announcement of the Unity Agreement 2008 in Southern Ontario, where as of Sept 1 there is going to be a partial healing of the fellowship divide between the amended and unamended communities in North America.

"Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, among whom I am foremost of all." (1 Tim 1:15)
"Apply yourself wholly to the text; apply the text wholly to yourself" (Johann Albrecht Bengel)
Christadelphian Books Online | The Agora | Toronto West Christadelphians

#2 sarah

sarah

Upsilon

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 04:59 PM

do you happen to have this in a written format Hyp? i jsut find reading the written word a lot easier than listening!!

#3 Hyperion

Hyperion

Sigma

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 06:46 PM

do you happen to have this in a written format Hyp? i jsut find reading the written word a lot easier than listening!!

It's somewhat in bullet form, but it should be understandable enough:

Attached Files

"Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, among whom I am foremost of all." (1 Tim 1:15)
"Apply yourself wholly to the text; apply the text wholly to yourself" (Johann Albrecht Bengel)

#4 sarah

sarah

Upsilon

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:05 PM

many thanks

#5 IDF

IDF

Rho

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:07 PM

At P.R there table is inclusive to all Christians, on the basis they believe Christ saved them, actually they have gone even further, some of them believe those of the world can also have the bread and wine aswell, without even needing an understanding of Christs death and resurection, how can we go about in a Christlike way to exhort them back to unity, I would be interested in any ideas regarding this.

Edited by IDF, 30 August 2008 - 11:07 PM.

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy.

#6 IDF

IDF

Rho

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:26 PM

At P.R there table is inclusive to all Christians, on the basis they believe Christ saved them, actually they have gone even further, some of them believe those of the world can also have the bread and wine aswell, without even needing an understanding of Christs death and resurection, how can we go about in a Christlike way to exhort them back to unity, I would be interested in any ideas regarding this.

Considering, as pointed out in this exhort that the Corinthians had false beliefs doctrines, why do we draw the line at Christianity, any and all scripture regarding this matter would greatly help me to help others at P.R. thanks,

Love in Christ IDF
But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy.

#7 Hyperion

Hyperion

Sigma

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 12:09 AM

Considering, as pointed out in this exhort that the Corinthians had false beliefs doctrines, why do we draw the line at Christianity, any and all scripture regarding this matter would greatly help me to help others at P.R. thanks,

Love in Christ IDF

My exhort is probably not very useful for a PR situation - it was addressed towards situations that are too exclusive. PR sounds to be the opposite problem.

The false beliefs in Corinth were not being tolerated or ignored - Paul is addressing them in his letter. False beliefs in our ecclesias do not defile us, but we must not ignore them. I suspect at PR that such errors are ignored or even embraced.

Secondly, the false ideas were generally not as serious as the errors of mainstream Christianity around us with its bizarre ideas of Trinity, immortal soulism and an atonement that requires the appeasement of a vengeful God by human sacrifice.

#8 granny

granny

Pi

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 02:53 AM

If Christadelphians said “It doesn’t matter what you believe about Jesus – anyone one can break bread with us as long as you believe Jesus saved you.”, then it is actually pointless being a Christadelphian. We make a stand apart from mainline Christian churches, because they have seriously corrupted simple Bible truth in the following areas:

· The nature of God

· The nature of Jesus

· The nature of man

· The redemption & reconciliation of man to God – the atonement

· The Hope we have ie heaven at death

· The way we should live eg joining the army, participation in politics etc

· The resurrection

· The nature of sin & the devil

The true Gospel has been so seriously corrupted by mainline Christianity, that their Gospel is not the Gospel that we read about in the Scripture.

Gal 1:6-9 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel-- (7) not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. (8) But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. (9) As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed.

If all Christadelphians adopted the attitude of Pine Rivers, in a very small number of years, the Truth would be largely lost. Mainline teachings would take over, as it is always easier to not make waves by insisting on an issue.
The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and delivers them.

#9 granny

granny

Pi

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 03:06 AM

Love in Christ IDF

In Corinth, Paul was dealing with the situation that had developed within the ecclesia, not the world in general. So an analagous situation would be to say that the wrong position brothers and sisters at Pine Rivers are adopting, needs addressing.

It is not valid to say that because the Corinth ecclesia had wrong doctrine, it is therefore right to liken the Corinth ecclesia to all of Christendom in all it's bizarre forms.

#10 IDF

IDF

Rho

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 12:29 PM

If Christadelphians said “It doesn’t matter what you believe about Jesus – anyone one can break bread with us as long as you believe Jesus saved you.”, then it is actually pointless being a Christadelphian. We make a stand apart from mainline Christian churches, because they have seriously corrupted simple Bible truth in the following areas:

· The nature of God

· The nature of Jesus

· The nature of man

· The redemption & reconciliation of man to God – the atonement

· The Hope we have ie heaven at death

· The way we should live eg joining the army, participation in politics etc

· The resurrection

· The nature of sin & the devil

The true Gospel has been so seriously corrupted by mainline Christianity, that their Gospel is not the Gospel that we read about in the Scripture.

Gal 1:6-9 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel-- (7) not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. (8) But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. (9) As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed.

If all Christadelphians adopted the attitude of Pine Rivers, in a very small number of years, the Truth would be largely lost. Mainline teachings would take over, as it is always easier to not make waves by insisting on an issue.

That is perfectly my stance on the issue, thanks Sis, you have God given wisdom. :)

#11 granny

granny

Pi

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:43 AM

That is perfectly my stance on the issue, thanks Sis, you have God given wisdom. :)

Not as much as I should have for someone who's 54 years old. :)

#12 Dan2

Dan2

Lambda

• Christadelphian
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:48 PM

Hyperion

Just wanted to say thanks a lot for posting this. Though I'm very much detached from the situation in Toronto, I found it extremely helpful to hear a straightforward exhort which gets right to the issue of preaching one body, but practising "two breads" as you put it.

Sadly the town where I am is in exactly that situation, but it's so encouraging to hear that unity can be acheived, even spanning divisions of many, many years.

I wondered what the negative feedback was that you mentioned you had...was there any scriptural counter argument(s) etc to what you said?

Dan

"Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you."
Psalm 73:25

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users