#1 Kay

Kay

Phi

• Admin
  • 5,981 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:00 AM

Reading – Psalm 101

A psalm of David.

1 "I will sing about loyalty and justice!
To you, O Lord, I will sing praises!

2 I will walk in1 the way of integrity.
When will you come to me?
I will conduct my business with integrity in the midst of my palace.2

3 I will not even consider doing what is dishonest.3
I hate doing evil;4
I will have no part of it.5

4 I will have nothing to do with a perverse person;6
I will not permit7 evil.

5 I will destroy anyone who slanders his neighbor in secret.
I will not tolerate anyone who has a cocky demeanor and an arrogant attitude.8

6 I will favor the honest people of the land,9
and allow them to live with me.10
Those who walk in the way of integrity will attend me.11

7 Deceitful people will not live in my palace.12
Liars will not be welcome in my presence.13

8 Each morning I will destroy all the wicked people in the land,
and remove all evildoers from the city of the Lord.

----------------------
1 tn Heb “take notice of.”

2 tn Heb “I will walk about in the integrity of my heart in the midst of my house.”

3 tn Heb “I will not set before my eyes a thing of worthlessness.”

4 tn Heb “the doing of swerving [deeds] I hate.” The Hebrew term סֵטִים (setim) is probably an alternate spelling of שֵׂטִים (setim), which appears in many medieval Hebrew mss. The form appears to be derived from a verbal root שׂוּט (sut, “to fall away; to swerve”; see Ps 40:4).

5 tn Heb “it [i.e., the doing of evil deeds] does not cling to me.”

6 tn Heb “a perverse heart will turn aside from me.” The adjective עִקֵּשׁ (’iqqesh) has the basic nuance “twisted; crooked” and by extension refers to someone or something that is morally perverse (see Ps 18:26). It appears frequently in the Book of Proverbs, where it is used of evil people (22:5), speech (8:8; 19:1), thoughts (11:20; 17:20), and life styles (2:15; 28:6).

7 tn Heb “know.” The king will not willingly allow perverse individuals to remain in his royal court.

8 tn Heb “[one who has] pride of eyes and wideness [i.e., arrogance] of heart, him I will not endure.”

9 tn Heb “my eyes [are] on the faithful of the land.”

10 tn The Hebrew text simply reads, “in order to live with me.”

11 tn Heb “one who walks in the way of integrity, he will minister to me.”

12 tn Heb “he will not live in the midst of my house, one who does deceit.”

13 tn Heb “one who speaks lies will not be established before my eyes.”

Biblical Studies Press: The NET Bible First Edition; Bible. English. NET Bible.; The NET Bible. Biblical Studies Press, 2006; 2006
"seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness" Matthew 6:33

#2 Kay

Kay

Phi

• Admin
  • 5,981 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:01 AM

"40th anniversary of 1967 when Jerusalem was returned to the Jews. This ecclesia will remember this event in June with a talk on the 6 day war – and we will talk about it in the Bible school in April. We will discuss the excitement in the ecclesia then. We read and talk about prophecies, many that were fulfilled many years ago – but this was a prophecy that people who are alive today saw happen – they could see it on TV, or hear about it on the radio – Christadelphians saw the prophecy fulfilled – there was great excitement. Of the people that were there – how many thought 40 years later Jesus Christ would not have returned – if someone had said that to you when you were watching these events – what would you have said? Would you have laughed, you couldn’t have believe it would be true. But 40 years on and Jesus Christ still hasn’t returned. We don’t know when he will come, but what we do know that we have 40 years less now until the return of Jesus Christ. It couldn’t be much longer before he returns. The time is starting to get very short. There is always the need to be prepared, we don’t know when Jesus will return, tomorrow, tonight, next week, next month, next year. But it could be 10 years away. We don’t know. But we must think that it could be tonight – as far as we know it could happen. Constantly we need to be prepared.

The reading this morning – Psalm 101 is one of our daily readings. How will this Psalm help us to be prepared for the return of Jesus Christ. What is the Psalm all about? It is a Psalm of David – the Psalm has been called a number of things. “The Mirror for Magistrates (Rulers)” – a mirror is what we look in to see that we are dressed properly. But this is about examining the inside of us, not the outside. A Magistrate is someone in a position of power – this Psalm teaches how to rule righteously. More relevant to us – it is also called the “Householders Psalm” – because it can help us to get our house in order. The psalm is in two parts verses 1 to 4 – personal integrity and verses 5 to 8 public integrity.

#3 Kay

Kay

Phi

• Admin
  • 5,981 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:01 AM

Verse 1 David begins – we have done this already this morning Hymn 114 “O render thanks to God above”, also “happy are they who from thy precepts never stray” we can see that written here in Psalm 101 by David. Why would David start Psalm 101 like this? “I will sing of mercy and judgement” – he is singing about the character of God, part of the glory of God – mercy and judgement. Exodus 33-34 Moses asks to see God’s ways and God’s glory and the angel tells Moses “Yahweh, merciful and gracious, long suffering and abundant in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, but will by no means clear the guilty” – mercy and judgement. The character of God – this is the starting point for David – mercy and judgement. What has that got to do with righteous government – under mercy comes the care of the poor, the needy, and under judgement comes the reward of good and punishment of evil. This is how Christ will reign when he comes to the earth. But first David starts with his relationship with God – he praises God and speaks of His mercy and justice. He looks to God as an example and sees that God passes on mercy and judgement to men – and David as king will now do that to the people of Israel. And hopefully the people of Israel will also do that to each other – and the same is expected of us. We remember the mercy and judgement of God this morning in the sacrifice of the son of God, so that we might have forgiveness of sins. David doesn’t just speak about these things, he sings – he is happy, he is thrilled about this when he thinks about the mercy and judgements of God – he understands and appreciates it so he sings about it. In our preparations for the return of Christ – we must focus on the character of God, not on what we shouldn’t do – we mustn’t keep saying “I mustn’t do that”, “I mustn’t do this” – they think about the negative things and often still do it. David is thinking of the positive – he fills his mind with positive and good things, and so he leaves little room to think about that which is wrong. So he reduces the temptation to do that which is wrong.

#4 Kay

Kay

Phi

• Admin
  • 5,981 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:02 AM

Verse 2 David talks about what he is going to do. Is David claiming he is going to be perfect? No – “perfect” – speaking about the sacrifices under the law. The same word “perfect” sacrifice – and David uses this word to describe what he is going to do. Is David claiming that he will be perfect just like the sacrifices had to be? No. Look at the whole sentence. “I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way” – behave = to pay attention to, also used in Nehemiah 13 where Ezra is going to read the law to the people so that they might “understand” what he reads. The same word “behave” is the word “understand” – So David would “pay attention”, to behave himself wisely. The word “perfect” is used in Genesis 17:1 where Abraham is told to walk “before me and be though perfect”. In Deut all Israel were told “thou shalt be perfect with Yahweh thy God” – Israel were not perfect, but they were told to be. David was a man after God’s own heart but he was not perfect either. David talks in Psalm 38 about his sins, and how he is like a leper – David knew he was a sinner. David was a man after God’s own heart, because he paid attention to being perfect and loved Yahweh and Yahweh’s ways. This is what God wants from us. He wants the effort, the desire our focus to be on him and his character and His ways. He wants us to love those things. “O when wilt thou come unto me” – what does David mean? Turn back to Exodus 20:24 – this Psalm might have been written just before David brought the ark to Jerusalem. God in Exodus is talking about an alter and where he records His name, He will come. Also God adds “and I will bless thee”. What David could be saying in Psalm 101:2 is “I will behave myself, I will walk – but I am asking God for a blessing” – he knows he can’t do it on his own, he is asking for God’s help. The glory is always God’s. Only the influence of the word of God on us that changes our hearts – it will help us to do what David is writing about in verse 2. David is asking for a blessing from God. “I will walk with a perfect heart (or integrity)”. Your integrity is most tested at home – if I asked you “when would I see you at your worst”? Here in front of your brethren and sisters, probably not. At work – possibly. How many of us would say that when we were at home we were at our worst. Those who we live with are those that we are most familiar with and we can treat them not as well as we treat other people. But not David – God sets the example for David and then David says he will set an example for his house. How important is this to David to do this? There is an order in this Psalm. God comes first, then v2 being an example at home is the next most important thing to David. How does this make us feel – we should be setting a positive example to those at home. David doesn’t say “I will try, I will think about it” – he says “with the help of God I will do this”. Verse 3 “wicked” also translated “Belial” – something that is base, worthless. Turn to 2 Corinthians 6:15-17 – these things are opposite, Jesus Christ/Belial. Jesus set a perfect example when he was on earth. These two things do not mix together righteousness/wickedness – we have to separate us from the things of wickedness, of Belial or we simply can’t do what David says. If you want to set a good example in your home, you can’t do it if you have that which is wicked or worthless before your eyes. David sees the work of the wicked and hated it. God wants us to do the same. Righteousness and wickedness are opposites. Righteousness loves one thing and wickedness hates it. If you have no hatred for wickedness, then the temptation to do the wrong thing is greater. David says “it won’t cling to me” – picture it like mud – it doesn’t stick it slips off. David says “these things won’t stay with me” – David knows he comes in contact with wickedness, but it doesn’t stick. He doesn’t get involved in wicked things. We are in the same situation, we come in contact with wickedness, but does it stick, does it have a lasting effect on us?

#5 Kay

Kay

Phi

• Admin
  • 5,981 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:03 AM

Psalm 101:4 “froward” – false, “know” – get to know, friendly. Notice ‘person’ is in italics – Daivd is saying “I will not get to know wickedness” – David will be separate from evil. Psalm 97 “he that loves Yahweh hates evil” – if you want to love God, how can you love evil at the same time. You can’t do both. God is the opposite to evil. Psalm 119 “I refrain my feet from every evil way so that I may keep your word”. Proverbs 3 “fear Yahweh and depart from evil”, “they that are of a froward heart are abomination to Yahweh, but such as are upright in their way are his delight”. Proverbs 16 “by the fear of Yahweh men depart from evil” “the highway of the upright is to depart from evil, he that keeps his way preserves his soul”. The message is – if you want to keep your life, then flee from evil. We are told time and time again to be separate from evil – it is told clearly and plainly, but it is not so easy to do. Verse 2 “David will pay attention to behaving wisely” – this is the key, pay attention to these things because it does not come naturally to us. Naturally we want to depart from that which is good, we need to pay attention. This is the end of the section talking about David’s heart and his home – he leads by example. Those that David ruled over would see what he did – and so he had to do the right thing if he wanted them to do the right thing. Promote integrity by first making sure we have integrity – don’t pick on other people first – start with yourself. It starts with you. The same applies to the ecclesia – it starts with you – if you want the ecclesia to change, maybe you need to change first – look at yourself first and set a positive example. The importance of the heart is used two times, verse 2 and verse 4 David talks about it twice. What is in your heart – this is what you bring to this ecclesia, we all have a responsibility to this.

#6 Kay

Kay

Phi

• Admin
  • 5,981 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:04 AM

Verses 5-8 Public Integrity. David writes about bad people and good people – David is saying what Jesus will want when he is king over the earth. This is telling us the type of people we should be and the type of people we shouldn’t be. Verse 5 a person that tells lies, and a proud person David will shut up, will not be able to stand. David had to watch those close to him – these are the type of people that David didn’t want to be working for him. And Jesus will not want these type of people to be in his kingdom. David first talks about a “secret accuser” – who gives a false report – they can cause enormous damage in families and in ecclesias. These people will be destroyed when Jesus comes to set up his kingdom. Secondly David speaks about the arrogant and proud people – they cause trouble. The eyes are the window to the heart – it is talking about their character, David can see their arrogance – David will not tolerate them and neither will Jesus Christ. Verse 6 “dwell” = sit “walketh” = conduct “perfect” is the same meaning as in verse 2. The eyes are mentioned again – David’s eyes are on the faithful – these are the type of people David does want with him. They will sit with David, it is a position of authority – like in the kingdom with Jesus Christ – they will rule. David wants those that conduct themselves “perfectly”, those that are like David – at the judgement seat when Jesus looks on us, he is looking for us to be like him also – that will show us to be part of his family. Someone that looks a little like himself and his Father. Verse 7 “deceit” = treachery, “dwell” = sit – notice ‘eyes, sight’ again. These people will not rule with Jesus Christ when he returns. These people can do great damage to the ecclesia and David doesn’t want these people in his sight. Verse 8 “early destroy” = at first light, morning by morning – it is a constant battle, it is not something that you can do one day – get all the wicked people together and get rid of them and the problem is sent away. It doesn’t work like that, because constantly wicked people are coming up – there is always wickedness about and David knows that he must “early destroy” – each morning, each day. “destroy” = total destruction, we know Jesus will rule the same way in the Kingdom. Also he uses the word “cut” = ruin, to cause to fall. Just like a building. David has spoken about his own house, but now he talks about the houses of the wicked. David makes his house strong by destroying the houses of the trouble makers. “wicked doers” = troublemakers. They will be destroyed by Jesus also when God’s kingdom is established.

#7 Kay

Kay

Phi

• Admin
  • 5,981 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:05 AM

Here we have a good guide – 8 verses long – how we can prepare ourselves for judgement. We are told where to start and what to do in the home and in public. What we should do and what we should be like. The key for us is to “behave myself” to start, it is a constant battle – we have to pay attention to being perfect – it is an ongoing battle. This is where David’s heart was – he realised how important it was to follow the right things that is why he was a man after God’s own heart, even though he did sin. This gives us hope – we can all focus and make an effort to follow God’s ways even though we also sin. We can all enter the courts of the Lord but there are standards – some will be cut off from the city of Yahweh – some will be sent away but some will be saved. Matthew 7:25 “at the judgement day many will seek to enter, only to be turned away” Why? Revelation 21 “there may not enter into the city of the Lord that which defiles or makes a lie or an abomination”. There are standards and we can all make the effort out of a love for God and a love of God’s ways. That is what God wants to see from us. The good news is that each of us can enter into the kingdom of God but if we fail to think about His ways then we will be excluded from the kingdom.

We now think of the sacrifice of Jesus – who perfectly showed the character of God – let’s try to follow his example."

Brother Ian Schofield

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users