#1 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 10:12 AM

First Portion

1 Chronicles 22

22:1 Then David said, “This is the house of Yahweh God, and this is the altar of burnt offering for Israel.” 22:2 David gave orders to gather together the foreigners who were in the land of Israel; and he set masons to cut worked stones to build the house of God. 22:3 David prepared iron in abundance for the nails for the doors of the gates, and for the couplings; and brass in abundance without weight; 22:4 and cedar trees without number: for the Sidonians and they of Tyre brought cedar trees in abundance to David. 22:5 David said, “Solomon my son is young and tender, and the house that is to be built for Yahweh must be exceedingly magnificent, of fame and of glory throughout all countries. I will therefore make preparation for it.” So David prepared abundantly before his death. 22:6 Then he called for Solomon his son, and commanded him to build a house for Yahweh, the God of Israel. 22:7 David said to Solomon his son, “As for me, it was in my heart to build a house to the name of Yahweh my God. 22:8 But the word of Yahweh came to me, saying, ‘You have shed blood abundantly, and have made great wars. You shall not build a house to my name, because you have shed much blood on the earth in my sight. 22:9 Behold, a son shall be born to you, who shall be a man of rest. I will give him rest from all his enemies all around; for his name shall be Solomon, and I will give peace and quietness to Israel in his days. 22:10 He shall build a house for my name; and he shall be my son, and I will be his father; and I will establish the throne of his kingdom over Israel for ever.’ 22:11 Now, my son, may Yahweh be with you and prosper you, and build the house of Yahweh your God, as he has spoken concerning you. 22:12 May Yahweh give you discretion and understanding, and put you in charge of Israel; that so you may keep the law of Yahweh your God. 22:13 Then you will prosper, if you observe to do the statutes and the ordinances which Yahweh gave Moses concerning Israel. Be strong, and courageous. Don’t be afraid, neither be dismayed. 22:14 Now, behold, in my affliction I have prepared for the house of Yahweh one hundred thousand talents of gold, one million talents of silver, and brass and iron without weight; for it is in abundance. I have also prepared timber and stone; and you may add to them. 22:15 There are also workmen with you in abundance, cutters and workers of stone and timber, and all kinds of men who are skillful in every kind of work: 22:16 of the gold, the silver, and the brass, and the iron, there is no number. Arise and be doing, and may Yahweh be with you.”

22:17 David also commanded all the princes of Israel to help Solomon his son, saying, 22:18 “Isn’t Yahweh your God with you? Hasn’t he given you rest on every side? For he has delivered the inhabitants of the land into my hand; and the land is subdued before Yahweh, and before his people. 22:19 Now set your heart and your soul to seek after Yahweh your God. Arise therefore, and build the sanctuary of Yahweh God, to bring the ark of the covenant of Yahweh, and the holy vessels of God, into the house that is to be built to the name of Yahweh.”

#2 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 10:12 AM

Second Portion

Ezekiel 32

32:1 It happened in the twelfth year, in the twelfth month, in the first day of the month, that the word of Yahweh came to me, saying, 32:2 Son of man, take up a lamentation over Pharaoh king of Egypt, and tell him, You were likened to a young lion of the nations: yet you are as a monster in the seas; and you broke out with your rivers, and troubled the waters with your feet, and fouled their rivers. 32:3 Thus says the Lord Yahweh: I will spread out my net on you with a company of many peoples; and they shall bring you up in my net. 32:4 I will leave you on the land, I will cast you forth on the open field, and will cause all the birds of the sky to settle on you, and I will satisfy the animals of the whole earth with you. 32:5 I will lay your flesh on the mountains, and fill the valleys with your height. 32:6 I will also water with your blood the land in which you swim, even to the mountains; and the watercourses shall be full of you. 32:7 When I shall extinguish you, I will cover the heavens, and make its stars dark; I will cover the sun with a cloud, and the moon shall not give its light. 32:8 All the bright lights of the sky will I make dark over you, and set darkness on your land, says the Lord Yahweh. 32:9 I will also trouble the hearts of many peoples, when I shall bring your destruction among the nations, into the countries which you have not known. 32:10 Yes, I will make many peoples amazed at you, and their kings shall be horribly afraid for you, when I shall brandish my sword before them; and they shall tremble at every moment, every man for his own life, in the day of your fall. 32:11 For thus says the Lord Yahweh: The sword of the king of Babylon shall come on you. 32:12 By the swords of the mighty will I cause your multitude to fall; the terrible of the nations are they all: and they shall bring to nothing the pride of Egypt, and all its multitude shall be destroyed. 32:13 I will destroy also all its animals from beside many waters; neither shall the foot of man trouble them any more, nor the hoofs of animals trouble them. 32:14 Then will I make their waters clear, and cause their rivers to run like oil, says the Lord Yahweh. 32:15 When I shall make the land of Egypt desolate and waste, a land destitute of that of which it was full, when I shall strike all those who dwell therein, then shall they know that I am Yahweh. 32:16 This is the lamentation with which they shall lament; the daughters of the nations shall lament therewith; over Egypt, and over all her multitude, shall they lament therewith, says the Lord Yahweh. 32:17 It happened also in the twelfth year, in the fifteenth day of the month, that the word of Yahweh came to me, saying, 32:18 Son of man, wail for the multitude of Egypt, and cast them down, even her, and the daughters of the famous nations, to the lower parts of the earth, with those who go down into the pit. 32:19 Whom do you pass in beauty? Go down, and be laid with the uncircumcised. 32:20 They shall fall in the midst of those who are slain by the sword: she is delivered to the sword; draw her away and all her multitudes. 32:21 The strong among the mighty shall speak to him out of the midst of Sheol with those who help him: they are gone down, they lie still, even the uncircumcised, slain by the sword. 32:22 Asshur is there and all her company; her graves are all around her; all of them slain, fallen by the sword; 32:23 whose graves are set in the uttermost parts of the pit, and her company is around her grave; all of them slain, fallen by the sword, who caused terror in the land of the living. 32:24 There is Elam and all her multitude around her grave; all of them slain, fallen by the sword, who are gone down uncircumcised into the lower parts of the earth, who caused their terror in the land of the living, and have borne their shame with those who go down to the pit. 32:25 They have set her a bed in the midst of the slain with all her multitude; her graves are around her; all of them uncircumcised, slain by the sword; for their terror was caused in the land of the living, and they have borne their shame with those who go down to the pit: he is put in the midst of those who are slain. 32:26 There is Meshech, Tubal, and all their multitude; their graves are around them; all of them uncircumcised, slain by the sword; for they caused their terror in the land of the living. 32:27 They shall not lie with the mighty who are fallen of the uncircumcised, who are gone down to Sheol with their weapons of war, and have laid their swords under their heads, and their iniquities are on their bones; for they were the terror of the mighty in the land of the living. 32:28 But you shall be broken in the midst of the uncircumcised, and shall lie with those who are slain by the sword. 32:29 There is Edom, her kings and all her princes, who in their might are laid with those who are slain by the sword: they shall lie with the uncircumcised, and with those who go down to the pit. 32:30 There are the princes of the north, all of them, and all the Sidonians, who are gone down with the slain; in the terror which they caused by their might they are put to shame; and they lie uncircumcised with those who are slain by the sword, and bear their shame with those who go down to the pit. 32:31 Pharaoh shall see them, and shall be comforted over all his multitude, even Pharaoh and all his army, slain by the sword, says the Lord Yahweh. 32:32 For I have put his terror in the land of the living; and he shall be laid in the midst of the uncircumcised, with those who are slain by the sword, even Pharaoh and all his multitude, says the Lord Yahweh.

#3 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 10:14 AM

Third Portion

Ephesians 3; 4

3:1 For this cause I, Paul, am the prisoner of Christ Jesus on behalf of you Gentiles, 3:2 if it is so that you have heard of the administration of that grace of God which was given me toward you; 3:3 how that by revelation the mystery was made known to me, as I wrote before in few words, 3:4 by which, when you read, you can perceive my understanding in the mystery of Christ; 3:5 which in other generations was not made known to the children of men, as it has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets in the Spirit; 3:6 that the Gentiles are fellow heirs, and fellow members of the body, and fellow partakers of his promise in Christ Jesus through the Good News, 3:7 of which I was made a servant, according to the gift of that grace of God which was given me according to the working of his power. 3:8 To me, the very least of all saints, was this grace given, to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, 3:9 and to make all men see what is the administration of the mystery which for ages has been hidden in God, who created all things through Jesus Christ; 3:10 to the intent that now through the assembly the manifold wisdom of God might be made known to the principalities and the powers in the heavenly places, 3:11 according to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord; 3:12 in whom we have boldness and access in confidence through our faith in him. 3:13 Therefore I ask that you may not lose heart at my troubles for you, which are your glory.

3:14 For this cause, I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, 3:15 from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, 3:16 that he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, that you may be strengthened with power through his Spirit in the inward man; 3:17 that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; to the end that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 3:18 may be strengthened to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, 3:19 and to know Christ’s love which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. 3:20 Now to him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, 3:21 to him be the glory in the assembly and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen.

#4 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 10:15 AM

4:1 I therefore, the prisoner in the Lord, beg you to walk worthily of the calling with which you were called, 4:2 with all lowliness and humility, with patience, bearing with one another in love; 4:3 being eager to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. 4:4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as you also were called in one hope of your calling; 4:5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism, 4:6 one God and Father of all, who is over all, and through all, and in us all. 4:7 But to each one of us was the grace given according to the measure of the gift of Christ. 4:8 Therefore he says, “When he ascended on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts to men.” 4:9 Now this, “He ascended,” what is it but that he also first descended into the lower parts of the earth? 4:10 He who descended is the one who also ascended far above all the heavens, that he might fill all things.

4:11 He gave some to be apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, shepherds and teachers; 4:12 for the perfecting of the saints, to the work of serving, to the building up of the body of Christ; 4:13 until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a full grown man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; 4:14 that we may no longer be children, tossed back and forth and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in craftiness, after the wiles of error; 4:15 but speaking truth in love, we may grow up in all things into him, who is the head, Christ; 4:16 from whom all the body, being fitted and knit together through that which every joint supplies, according to the working in measure of each individual part, makes the body increase to the building up of itself in love.

4:17 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that you no longer walk as the rest of the Gentiles also walk, in the futility of their mind, 4:18 being darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the hardening of their hearts; 4:19 who having become callous gave themselves up to lust, to work all uncleanness with greediness. 4:20 But you did not learn Christ that way; 4:21 if indeed you heard him, and were taught in him, even as truth is in Jesus: 4:22 that you put away, as concerning your former way of life, the old man, that grows corrupt after the lusts of deceit; 4:23 and that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind, 4:24 and put on the new man, who in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of truth.

4:25 Therefore, putting away falsehood, speak truth each one with his neighbor. For we are members of one another. 4:26 “Be angry, and don’t sin.” Don’t let the sun go down on your wrath, 4:27 neither give place to the devil. 4:28 Let him who stole steal no more; but rather let him labor, working with his hands the thing that is good, that he may have something to give to him who has need. 4:29 Let no corrupt speech proceed out of your mouth, but such as is good for building up as the need may be, that it may give grace to those who hear. 4:30 Don’t grieve the Holy Spirit of God, in whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 4:31 Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, outcry, and slander, be put away from you, with all malice. 4:32 And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving each other, just as God also in Christ forgave you.

World English Bible - (WEB) - Public Domain

#5 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:50 AM

06 October 2008

1 Chronicles 22
Ezekiel 32
Ephesians 3; 4

#6 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:45 AM

06 October 2009

1 Chronicles 22
Ezekiel 32
Ephesians 3; 4

#7 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:03 AM

06 October 2010

1 Chronicles 22
Ezekiel 32
Ephesians 3; 4

CORRUPTING TALK

The world today is full of ‘corrupting talk’ – and the Apostle Paul uses this phrase in today’s Ephesians’ chapters. This is the natural way of speaking in many cases among people who have no thought of God, especially those who are convinced they are the highest form of animal life and that they are just the result of evolution.

The ‘atmosphere’ created by godless ways of thinking – and therefore talking - which we experience as we go to school or work, constantly threatens to rub off on us. This atmosphere can so easily influence the way we think – and as a result, what we talk about. Although we are aware ‘we are in the world but not of it’ the words of Paul we read today are needed as a constant reminder to us.

He wrote, “Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up as fits the occasion, that may give grace to those who hear. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God (the means by which God and Christ know all our thoughts and words – read Psalm 139) … Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamour and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” [Ephesians 4:29-32]

How few are “tender hearted” these days. The influence of the daily reading and meditating on the word of God makes such an attitude of mind possible, otherwise it is very difficult if not impossible. It is just as important to get our attitudes right as it is to get our beliefs right. Take special notice of what Paul also writes, “But speaking the truth in love, we must grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ” [Ephesians 4:15]
-------
- DC

#8 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:16 AM

06 October 2011

1 Chronicles 22
Ezekiel 32
Ephesians 3; 4

"THEN THEY WILL KNOW THAT I AM THE LORD"

The above phrase occurs so often in Ezekiel. For example, Ezekiel 28; 29; 30 all conclude with these words. In today’s chapter [Ezekiel 32] it occurs in verse15 [Ezekiel 32:15] after predicting the downfall and disgrace of Egypt where the remnant of the people from Jerusalem had gone for safety, taking a reluctant Jeremiah with them [Jeremiah 43].

Egypt had been a great nation for centuries as archaeology shows and we particularly remember the experience of Joseph. So what does this phrase mean? We concluded that it means – that events prove that those who know and listen to the words that the prophets utter in the name of the LORD – the one and only God – will know that he is the only LORD and he means what he says. We can therefore see that the fulfilment of God’s words in the past gives confidence and faith to those who take serious notice of his words.

Today’s chapter lists all the great nations that had come and gone – and which Egypt was to join in obscurity. Some we know, like Assyria [Ezekiel 32:22,23], some we are not so sure of the detail about, like Elam and Edom. It is interesting that Meshech gets a mention [Ezekiel 32:26] as a nation of the past – before Ezekiel’s time. To equate this name with Moscow, as some have, a city which did not come into existence until 1500 years later, seems totally unreasonable.

One could draw up an up-to-date list of Empires that have come and gone. The Roman Empire became nominally Christian in the third Century but perished in its own corruption 200 years later. And what of the British Empire, the Spanish and so on. Human Empires come and go, but when God’s ‘Empire’ is established over all the earth then ALL people will know – but it will be of no special benefit to those who do not “know” the LORD now! Indeed it will be a disaster to many!

God causes the prophet Joel to paint this picture of the future, “The LORD roars from Zion … the heavens and the earth quake. But the LORD is a refuge to his people … so you shall know that I am the LORD your God, who dwells in Zion, my holy mountain. And Jerusalem shall be holy, and strangers shall never again pass through it.” [Joel 3:16,17]

Those who KNOW their God now will have an eternal role in His service from that time.
-------
- DC

#9 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

06 October 2012

1 Chronicles 22
Ezekiel 32
Ephesians 3; 4

"SPEAKING THE TRUTH IN LOVE"

Our 2 chapters today in Paul’s letter to the Ephesians [Ephesians 3; 4] reveal that the church there had become quite dysfunctional: Paul makes an impassioned appeal for the believers to regain their vision of the true way of belief and faith in Christ for there is only “one hope … one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all” [Ephesians 4:4-6] He urges them to be “no longer children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning … Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way … into him who is the head, into Christ.” [Ephesians 4:14-15]

That’s the first and greatest commandment isn’t it “to love the Lord thy God” with all thy facilities, being in utter awe of what God must be.

We can know what is true belief and it is sad that many do not; but that true knowledge must then be motivated by genuine “love.” Sadly over the many Centuries since Paul’s time there have been many winds of doctrine. Now note Paul next point, “from (Christ, the head) the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so it builds itself up in love” [Ephesians 4:15-16]

This describes the ideal! Are you doing your part properly? Paul told them to live “with all humility and gentleness, with patience bearing with one another in love …” [Ephesians 4:2] – a vital factor in “each part working properly.” In contrast the unbelievers around them (and us) Paul says, “walk … in the futility of their minds … alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them … they have become callous and have given themselves up to sensuality … but that is not the way you learned Christ! … assuming you … were taught in him, as the truth is in Jesus ...” [Ephesians 4:17-21] We must not let the world’s spirit influence us.

Sadly, the truth as it is in Jesus, is taught less and less these days – which makes it harder for “each part” to work properly. Paul appeals to them “to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created … in true righteousness and holiness.” [Ephesians 4:23-24] Let us make sure we are “speaking the truth in love” and being renewed in the spirit of our minds.
-------
- DC

#10 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:08 AM

06 October 2013

1 Chronicles 22
Ezekiel 32
Ephesians 3; 4

“CORRUPTING TALK”

The world today is full of ‘corrupting talk’. The Apostle Paul uses this phrase in today’s Ephesians’ chapters. This is the natural way of speaking in many cases among people who have no thought of God, especially those who are convinced they are the highest form of animal life and that they are just the result of evolution.

The ‘atmosphere’ created by godless ways of thinking – and therefore talking - which we often experience as we go to school or work, constantly threatens to rub off on us. This atmosphere can so easily influence the way we think – and as a result, what we talk about. Although we are aware ‘we are in the world but not of it’ the words of Paul we read today are needed as a constant reminder.

He wrote, “Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up as fits the occasion, that may give grace to those who hear. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God (the means by which God and Christ know all our thoughts and words – read Psalm 139) … Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamour and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” [Ephesians 4:29-32]

We wonder what other comments Paul would have added if TV had existed in his days, or the movies, or an endless range of fleshly fiction books? Use your imagination as to what he could have written! Do we sense as much as we should how exposing our senses to such things is affecting us. It is all food for the mind – and might be compared somewhat with feeding on lots of junk food for our body. But in many cases the medical profession can put our bodies back in reasonable order – but not so the mind, the thought processes and habits, steadily destroy our character – and – in the end there is no remedy.

Paul’s use of the phrase “tender-hearted jumped out at us. How few are “tender hearted” these days. The influence of our daily reading and meditating on the word of God is a significant ingredient towards making this attitude of mind happen with us.

It is just as important to get our attitudes right as it is to get our beliefs right. Take special notice of what Paul also writes, “But speaking the truth in love, we must grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ” [Ephesians 4:15] How is your growing up progressing?
-------
- DC

#11 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:09 PM

06 October 2014

1 Chronicles 22
Ezekiel 32
Ephesians 3; 4  

How wonderful to know what is true – the Truth that the Bible alone reveals. Yet how often do we see examples in history of such knowledge causing people to be “puffed up” and pleased with themselves – an attitude which undermines their privilege in understanding the real truth in a world full of burgeoning human knowledge and self-centredness.  Paul counselled Timothy (whom he left in Ephesus) to be on his guard against believers who were “puffed up with conceit.” [1 Timothy 3:6 and 1 Timothy 6:4]

All believers have to be on their guard against this danger, created by the nature of the human mind, “until” writes Paul, as we read today, “we … attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ," [Ephesians 4:13]   “Fullness” is not a word we use these days.   Paul used it in Ephesians 3 when he challenged the Ephesians (and us!) “to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.” [Ephesians 3:19] 

When this “fullness” is achieved, says Paul, in Ephesians 4, we will "no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning ... Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love." [Ephesians 4:14-15]

Then, and only then, are we able to "grow up in every way ... into Christ." Let us each make sure that our part is "working properly."   The foundation for doing that is to be "speaking the truth in love." May we all have that “foundation” in place – and daily make at least a little progress in growing – realizing that our meditative daily readings are an essential ingredient in doing that.
-------
- DC

#12 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 03:10 AM

06 October 2015

1 Chronicles 22
Ezekiel 32
Ephesians 3; 4  

Our 2 chapters today in Paul’s letter to the Ephesians reveal that the situation among the believers there had become quite dysfunctional: Paul makes an impassioned appeal for them to regain their vision of the true way of belief and faith in Christ for there is only “one hope … one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all” [Ephesians 4:4-6]

He urges them to be “no longer children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning … Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way … into him who is the head, into Christ.” [Ephesians 4:14-15]  That’s the first and greatest commandment isn’t it,  “to love the Lord thy God” with all our facilities, being in utter awe of what God must be.  

We can know what is true belief and it is sad that many do not; but that true knowledge must then be motivated by genuine “love.”  Sadly over the many Centuries since Paul’s time there have been many winds of doctrine.  How vital it is to grasp Paul’s point that we must “grow up in every way” “into” Christ. And then. “the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so it builds itself up in love” [Ephesians 4:15-16] 

This describes the ideal!  Read it again - are you doing your part properly?  Paul told them to live “with all humility and gentleness, with patience bearing with one another in love …” [Ephesians 4:2] – these are vital factors in “each part working properly.”  

In contrast, the unbelievers around them (and us), Paul says, “walk … in the futility of their minds … alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them … they have become callous and have given themselves up to sensuality … but that is not the way you learned Christ! … assuming you … were taught in him, as the truth is in Jesus ..” [Ephesians 4:17-21]   

Today, we must not let the spirit all around us, influence us.

Sadly, the truth as it is in Jesus, is taught less and less these days – which makes it harder for “each part” to work properly.  Paul appeals to them “to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created … in true righteousness and holiness.”   [Ephesians 4:23-24]  Let us make sure we are “speaking the truth in love” and making ever greater efforts to be renewed in the spirit of our minds.
-------
- DC

#13 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 12:28 PM

06 October 2016

1 Chronicles 22
Ezekiel 32
Ephesians 3; 4  

The above phrase occurs so often in Ezekiel. For example, Ezekiel 28; 29; 30 all conclude with these words. In today’s chapter [Ezekiel 32] it occurs in Ezekiel 32:15 after predicting the downfall and disgrace of Egypt where the remnant of the people from Jerusalem had gone for safety, taking a reluctant Jeremiah with them [Jeremiah 43].

Egypt had been a great nation for centuries as archaeology shows and we particularly remember the experience of Joseph. So what does this phrase mean? We concluded that it means – that events prove that those who know and listen to the words that the prophets utter in the name of the LORD – the one and only God – will know that he is the only LORD and he means what he says. We can therefore see that the fulfilment of God’s words in the past gives confidence and faith to those who take serious notice of his words today. 

Today’s chapter lists all the great nations that had come and gone – and which Egypt was to join in obscurity. Some we know, like Assyria [Ezekiel 32:22-23], some we are not so sure of the detail about, like Elam and Edom. It is interesting that Meshech gets a mention [Ezekiel 32:26] as a nation of the past – before Ezekiel’s time. To equate this name with Moscow, as some have, a city which did not come into existence until nearly 1,500 years later, seems a totally unreasonable deduction.

One could compile an up-to-date list of Empires that have come and gone. The Roman Empire became nominally Christian in the third Century but perished in its own corruption 200 years later. And what of the British Empire? And also the Spanish? And many more! Human Empires come and go, but when God’s ‘Empire’ is established over all the earth ... then ALL people will know – but it will be of no benefit to those who do not “know the LORD now! Indeed, it will be a disaster to many, to those who refuse to believe there is a Creator!

God causes the prophet Joel to paint this picture of the future, “The LORD roars from Zion … the heavens and the earth quake. But the LORD is a refuge to his people … so you shall know that I am the LORD your God, who dwells in Zion, my holy mountain. And Jerusalem shall be holy, and strangers shall never again pass through it.” [Joel 3:16-17] 

Those who KNOW their God now - will have an eternal role in His service from that time. 
-------
- DC

#14 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:58 PM

06 October 2017

1 Chronicles 22
Ezekiel 32
Ephesians 3; 4

The above phrase occurs so often in Ezekiel. For example, Ezekiel 28; 29; 30 all conclude with these words. In today's chapter [Ezekiel 32] it occurs in Ezekiel 32:15 after predicting the downfall and disgrace of Egypt where the remnant of the people from Jerusalem had gone for safety, taking a reluctant Jeremiah with them [Jeremiah 43].

Egypt had been a great nation for centuries as archaeology shows - and we particularly remember the experience of Joseph. So what does this phrase mean? We concluded that it means ­ that events prove that those who know and listen to the words that the prophets utter in the name of the LORD ­ the one and only God ­ will know that he is the only LORD and he means what he says. We can therefore see that the fulfilment of God's words in the past ­ and how they gave confidence and faith to those who took serious notice of his words.  

Today's chapter lists all the great nations that had come and gone ­ and Egypt was to join them in obscurity. Some we know, like Assyria [Ezekiel 32:22-23), some we are not so sure of the detail about, like Elam and Edom. It is interesting that Meshech gets a mention [Ezekiel 32:26] as a nation of the past ­ before Ezekiel's time. To equate this name with Moscow, as some have, a city which did not come into existence until 1500 years later, seems totally unreasonable. 

One could compile an up-to-date list of Empires that have come and gone. The Roman Empire became nominally Christian in the third Century but perished in its own corruption 200 years later. And what of the British Empire, the Spanish, and so on? Human Empires come and go, but when God's "Empire" is established over all the earth then ALL people "will know" ­ but it will be of no special benefit to those who do not "know … the LORD" now! Indeed it may well be a disaster to many!

God also causes the prophet Joel to paint this picture of the future, "The LORD roars from Zion the heavens and the earth quake. But the LORD is a refuge to his people … so you shall know that I am the LORD your God, who dwells in Zion, my holy mountain. And Jerusalem shall be holy, and strangers shall never again pass through it." [Joel 3:16-17] It is also inspiring to ponder the words of Zechariah 10:6!

Those who KNOW their God now will have an eternal role in His service from that time. 
-------
- DC

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users