2 replies to this topic

#1 Jesse2W

Jesse2W

Lambda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:05 AM

I don't know Greek, but I do know English and I don't know how scholars ignore this... (my basically literal paraphrase).

Have this mind in you that is in Jesus:

who being in form of God did not think to seize equality with God, but rather emptied himself having taken form of a servant;

having become in likeness of men and being found in fashion as a man he humbled himself having become obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

"Form" is the same Greek word found in the first stanza first in red and then in blue.
"having become" is the same Greek word in the second stanza first in red and then in blue.

This seems like a song or poem almost! Why don't any translations make use of these obvious paralleled passages?
The only English translation that would even allow this understanding is Young's Literal Translation! Trinitarians want to put an "and" or even "by" after "form of servant" even though it's not in the Greek. I am astonished by how freely they add words to the Bible!
:smart:

#2 Mark Taunton

Mark Taunton

Rho

• Christadelphian Armoury
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:18 AM

Jesse, that's an excellent observation! On the questions of meaning of this passage, I have just dug out a couple of articles by a Christadelphian friend of mine. I'll post them shortly in the other thread you started.

#3 Jon D

Jon D

Pi

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:01 PM

Jesse,

That is fantastic. Top spot.

Jon

Even so, come, Lord Jesus

1 user(s) are reading this topic