#1 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:00 AM

First Portion

1 Chronicles 11

11:1 Then all Israel gathered themselves to David to Hebron, saying, “Behold, we are your bone and your flesh. 11:2 In times past, even when Saul was king, it was you who led out and brought in Israel. Yahweh your God said to you, ‘You shall be shepherd of my people Israel, and you shall be prince over my people Israel.’”

11:3 So all the elders of Israel came to the king to Hebron; and David made a covenant with them in Hebron before Yahweh; and they anointed David king over Israel, according to the word of Yahweh by Samuel. 11:4 David and all Israel went to Jerusalem (the same is Jebus); and the Jebusites, the inhabitants of the land, were there. 11:5 The inhabitants of Jebus said to David, “You shall not come in here.” Nevertheless David took the stronghold of Zion. The same is the city of David. 11:6 David said, “Whoever strikes the Jebusites first shall be chief and captain.” Joab the son of Zeruiah went up first, and was made chief. 11:7 David lived in the stronghold; therefore they called it the city of David. 11:8 He built the city all around, from Millo even around; and Joab repaired the rest of the city. 11:9 David grew greater and greater; for Yahweh of Armies was with him. 11:10 Now these are the chief of the mighty men whom David had, who showed themselves strong with him in his kingdom, together with all Israel, to make him king, according to the word of Yahweh concerning Israel. 11:11 This is the number of the mighty men whom David had: Jashobeam, the son of a Hachmonite, the chief of the thirty; he lifted up his spear against three hundred and killed them at one time. 11:12 After him was Eleazar the son of Dodo, the Ahohite, who was one of the three mighty men. 11:13 He was with David at Pasdammim, and there the Philistines were gathered together to battle, where there was a plot of ground full of barley; and the people fled from before the Philistines. 11:14 They stood in the midst of the plot, and defended it, and killed the Philistines; and Yahweh saved them by a great victory. 11:15 Three of the thirty chief men went down to the rock to David, into the cave of Adullam; and the army of the Philistines were encamped in the valley of Rephaim. 11:16 David was then in the stronghold, and the garrison of the Philistines was then in Bethlehem. 11:17 David longed, and said, “Oh that one would give me water to drink of the well of Bethlehem, which is by the gate!”

11:18 The three broke through the army of the Philistines, and drew water out of the well of Bethlehem, that was by the gate, and took it, and brought it to David: but David would not drink of it, but poured it out to Yahweh, 11:19 and said, “My God forbid it me, that I should do this! Shall I drink the blood of these men who have put their lives in jeopardy?” For they risked their lives to bring it. Therefore he would not drink it. The three mighty men did these things.

11:20 Abishai, the brother of Joab, he was chief of the three; for he lifted up his spear against three hundred and killed them, and had a name among the three. 11:21 Of the three, he was more honorable than the two, and was made their captain: however he didn’t attain to the three. 11:22 Benaiah the son of Jehoiada, the son of a valiant man of Kabzeel, who had done mighty deeds, he killed the two sons of Ariel of Moab: he went down also and killed a lion in the midst of a pit in time of snow. 11:23 He killed an Egyptian, a man of great stature, five cubits high; and in the Egyptian’s hand was a spear like a weaver’s beam; and he went down to him with a staff, and plucked the spear out of the Egyptian’s hand, and killed him with his own spear. 11:24 Benaiah the son of Jehoiada did these things, and had a name among the three mighty men. 11:25 Behold, he was more honorable than the thirty, but he didn’t attain to the three: and David set him over his guard. 11:26 Also the mighty men of the armies: Asahel the brother of Joab, Elhanan the son of Dodo of Bethlehem, 11:27 Shammoth the Harorite, Helez the Pelonite, 11:28 Ira the son of Ikkesh the Tekoite, Abiezer the Anathothite, 11:29 Sibbecai the Hushathite, Ilai the Ahohite, 11:30 Maharai the Netophathite, Heled the son of Baanah the Netophathite, 11:31 Ithai the son of Ribai of Gibeah of the children of Benjamin, Benaiah the Pirathonite, 11:32 Hurai of the brooks of Gaash, Abiel the Arbathite, 11:33 Azmaveth the Baharumite, Eliahba the Shaalbonite, 11:34 the sons of Hashem the Gizonite, Jonathan the son of Shagee the Hararite, 11:35 Ahiam the son of Sacar the Hararite, Eliphal the son of Ur, 11:36 Hepher the Mecherathite, Ahijah the Pelonite, 11:37 Hezro the Carmelite, Naarai the son of Ezbai, 11:38 Joel the brother of Nathan, Mibhar the son of Hagri, 11:39 Zelek the Ammonite, Naharai the Berothite, the armor bearer of Joab the son of Zeruiah, 11:40 Ira the Ithrite, Gareb the Ithrite, 11:41 Uriah the Hittite, Zabad the son of Ahlai, 11:42 Adina the son of Shiza the Reubenite, a chief of the Reubenites, and thirty with him, 11:43 Hanan the son of Maacah, and Joshaphat the Mithnite, 11:44 Uzzia the Ashterathite, Shama and Jeiel the sons of Hotham the Aroerite, 11:45 Jediael the son of Shimri, and Joha his brother, the Tizite, 11:46 Eliel the Mahavite, and Jeribai, and Joshaviah, the sons of Elnaam, and Ithmah the Moabite, 11:47 Eliel, and Obed, and Jaasiel the Mezobaite.

#2 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:01 AM

Second Portion

Ezekiel 24

24:1 Again, in the ninth year, in the tenth month, in the tenth day of the month, the word of Yahweh came to me, saying, 24:2 Son of man, write the name of the day, even of this same day: the king of Babylon drew close to Jerusalem this same day. 24:3 Utter a parable to the rebellious house, and tell them, Thus says the Lord Yahweh, Set on the caldron, set it on, and also pour water into it: 24:4 gather its pieces into it, even every good piece, the thigh, and the shoulder; fill it with the choice bones. 24:5 Take the choice of the flock, and also a pile of wood for the bones under the caldron; make it boil well; yes, let its bones be boiled in its midst. 24:6 Therefore thus says the Lord Yahweh: Woe to the bloody city, to the caldron whose rust is therein, and whose rust is not gone out of it! take out of it piece after piece; No lot is fallen on it. 24:7 For her blood is in the midst of her; she set it on the bare rock; she didn’t pour it on the ground, to cover it with dust. 24:8 That it may cause wrath to come up to take vengeance, I have set her blood on the bare rock, that it should not be covered. 24:9 Therefore thus says the Lord Yahweh: Woe to the bloody city! I also will make the pile great. 24:10 Heap on the wood, make the fire hot, boil well the flesh, and make thick the broth, and let the bones be burned. 24:11 Then set it empty on its coals, that it may be hot, and its brass may burn, and that its filthiness may be molten in it, that its rust may be consumed. 24:12 She has wearied herself with toil; yet her great rust doesn’t go forth out of her; her rust doesn’t go forth by fire. 24:13 In your filthiness is lewdness: because I have cleansed you and you weren’t cleansed, you shall not be cleansed from your filthiness any more, until I have caused my wrath toward you to rest. 24:14 I, Yahweh, have spoken it: it shall happen, and I will do it: I will not go back, neither will I spare, neither will I repent; according to your ways, and according to your doings, shall they judge you, says the Lord Yahweh. 24:15 Also the word of Yahweh came to me, saying, 24:16 Son of man, behold, I will take away from you the desire of your eyes with a stroke: yet you shall neither mourn nor weep, neither shall your tears run down. 24:17 Sigh, but not aloud, make no mourning for the dead; bind your headdress on you, and put your shoes on your feet, and don’t cover your lips, and don’t eat men’s bread. 24:18 So I spoke to the people in the morning; and at even my wife died; and I did in the morning as I was commanded. 24:19 The people said to me, Won’t you tell us what these things are to us, that you do so? 24:20 Then I said to them, The word of Yahweh came to me, saying, 24:21 Speak to the house of Israel, Thus says the Lord Yahweh: Behold, I will profane my sanctuary, the pride of your power, the desire of your eyes, and that which your soul pities; and your sons and your daughters whom you have left behind shall fall by the sword. 24:22 You shall do as I have done: you shall not cover your lips, nor eat the bread of men. 24:23 Your tires shall be on your heads, and your shoes on your feet: you shall not mourn nor weep; but you shall pine away in your iniquities, and moan one toward another. 24:24 Thus Ezekiel shall be a sign to you; according to all that he has done, you will do. When this comes, then you will know that I am the Lord Yahweh. 24:25 You, son of man, shall it not be in the day when I take from them their strength, the joy of their glory, the desire of their eyes, and that whereupon they set their heart, their sons and their daughters, 24:26 that in that day he who escapes shall come to you, to cause you to hear it with your ears? 24:27 In that day your mouth will be opened to him who has escaped, and you shall speak, and be no more mute: so you will be a sign to them; and they shall know that I am Yahweh.

#3 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:02 AM

Third Portion

Luke 21

21:1 He looked up, and saw the rich people who were putting their gifts into the treasury. 21:2 He saw a certain poor widow casting in two small brass coins. 21:3 He said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow put in more than all of them, 21:4 for all these put in gifts for God from their abundance, but she, out of her poverty, put in all that she had to live on.”

21:5 As some were talking about the temple and how it was decorated with beautiful stones and gifts, he said, 21:6 “As for these things which you see, the days will come, in which there will not be left here one stone on another that will not be thrown down.”

21:7 They asked him, “Teacher, so when will these things be? What is the sign that these things are about to happen?”

21:8 He said, “Watch out that you don’t get led astray, for many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am he,’ and, ‘The time is at hand.’ Therefore don’t follow them. 21:9 When you hear of wars and disturbances, don’t be terrified, for these things must happen first, but the end won’t come immediately.”

21:10 Then he said to them, “Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. 21:11 There will be great earthquakes, famines, and plagues in various places. There will be terrors and great signs from heaven. 21:12 But before all these things, they will lay their hands on you and will persecute you, delivering you up to synagogues and prisons, bringing you before kings and governors for my name’s sake. 21:13 It will turn out as a testimony for you. 21:14 Settle it therefore in your hearts not to meditate beforehand how to answer, 21:15 for I will give you a mouth and wisdom which all your adversaries will not be able to withstand or to contradict. 21:16 You will be handed over even by parents, brothers, relatives, and friends. They will cause some of you to be put to death. 21:17 You will be hated by all men for my name’s sake. 21:18 And not a hair of your head will perish.

21:19 “By your endurance you will win your lives.

21:20 “But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then know that its desolation is at hand. 21:21 Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. Let those who are in the midst of her depart. Let those who are in the country not enter therein. 21:22 For these are days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled. 21:23 Woe to those who are pregnant and to those who nurse infants in those days! For there will be great distress in the land, and wrath to this people. 21:24 They will fall by the edge of the sword, and will be led captive into all the nations. Jerusalem will be trampled down by the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled. 21:25 There will be signs in the sun, moon, and stars; and on the earth anxiety of nations, in perplexity for the roaring of the sea and the waves; 21:26 men fainting for fear, and for expectation of the things which are coming on the world: for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 21:27 Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 21:28 But when these things begin to happen, look up, and lift up your heads, because your redemption is near.”

21:29 He told them a parable. “See the fig tree, and all the trees. 21:30 When they are already budding, you see it and know by your own selves that the summer is already near. 21:31 Even so you also, when you see these things happening, know that the Kingdom of God is near. 21:32 Most certainly I tell you, this generation will not pass away until all things are accomplished. 21:33 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will by no means pass away.

21:34 “So be careful, or your hearts will be loaded down with carousing, drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that day will come on you suddenly. 21:35 For it will come like a snare on all those who dwell on the surface of all the earth. 21:36 Therefore be watchful all the time, praying that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will happen, and to stand before the Son of Man.”

21:37 Every day Jesus was teaching in the temple, and every night he would go out and spend the night on the mountain that is called Olivet. 21:38 All the people came early in the morning to him in the temple to hear him.

World English Bible - (WEB) - Public Domain

#4 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 12:58 PM

28 September 2008

1 Chronicles 11
Ezekiel 24
Luke 21

#5 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 12:15 PM

28 September 2009

1 Chronicles 11
Ezekiel 24
Luke 21

#6 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:51 AM

28 September 2010

1 Chronicles 11
Ezekiel 24
Luke 21

THE NEED FOR SUPPORT

The history period covered in the two books of Chronicles is parallel with that in 2 Samuel and 1 & 2 Kings. We can compare this with the way the 4 gospels are parallel accounts of the life of Jesus. There are theories that Chronicles was written to fill out the records in Samuel and Kings and this is partly true. Among the Jews there is a tradition that the Chronicles were written by Ezra and it is a fact that the Book of Ezra which comes at the end of Chronicles begins as though it is a continuation of Chronicles.

What we particularly noticed in today’s chapter, 1 Chronicles 11, is that most of it is about the mighty men that served David and all the valiant acts that they did. They were valuable and faithful friends to David in his great reign as King for 40 years. Many of these men are not recorded elsewhere and it is a testing task to read these chapters with many unpronounceable names!

As we read them the thought struck us that “great David’s greater son” as many have sung of Christ, will surely require an untold number of “mighty ones” to go “into battle” for him in the age to come. The weapons of their warfare in that time will be spiritual, like the Holy Spirit was used in the First Century. We can, in a sense, apply the words we read last week in 2 Corinthians 10:4 “the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds.” Their work will be to administer the Law that will go forth from Jerusalem.

Thinking again of David, we have no clear idea of how these mighty men came to know about David, but it seems clear he was able to inspire others and he began to do this from when he killed Goliath. So worthy men responded to his leadership and became an essential part of the strength of his kingship. In the same way the Lord Jesus should inspire us. Those who are inspired and faithful, he will support and will make them to “reign with him for a thousand years.” [Revelation 20:6]
-------
- DC

#7 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:09 AM

28 September 2011

1 Chronicles 11
Ezekiel 24
Luke 21

"UNTIL THE TIMES OF THE GENTILES ARE FULFILLED"

Quite a number of Bible Readers would know where to find the above quotation! Can we become too familiar with such passages of Scripture so that they lose their impact for us? We read Luke 21 very slowly this morning. It is evident that the first 24 verses were primarily for those who heard Jesus: and these except for the elderly, were going to experience these “days of vengeance” and “great distress upon the earth and wrath against this people” [Luke 21:22,23]. There is a striking parallel between this and our reading in Ezekiel 24 where the message the prophet sent to Jerusalem is totally blunt. Twice he writes, “Woe to the bloody city” [Ezekiel 24:6,9]. Less than 2 years are now left before God acts to destroy the city and the wonderful Temple Solomon had built. The totally unspiritual behaviour of the inhabitants would finally cause God “to rouse my wrath, to take vengeance … on account of your unclean lewdness” [Ezekiel 24:8,12]. There are direct parallels to our generation – and we look carefully at the words of Jesus that apply to our generation.

Are the words of Jesus in Luke 21:25, 26 symbolic or literal or a mixture of both? Jesus’ statement is plain enough that Jerusalem will be trampled underfoot by the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.” [Luke 21:24] What we cannot say for certain is whether the part of Jerusalem still not under Jewish control, the Mount on which the Temple stood, is significant in the fulfilment of this prophecy. Jerusalem is not being trampled underfoot as it was in former generations. Is there significance in that the Jews were prevented from gaining a good degree of control of the Old City until 1967? The oft quoted passage, “this generation will not pass away until all have taken place” [Luke 21:32] is in the context of “the kingdom of God is near” [Luke 21:31].

We are mindful that Jesus said, “that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels, nor the son” [Matthew 24:36] but Christ’s message at the end of today’s chapter is surely for us in 2011! “But watch yourselves lest your hearts be weighed down with dissipation and drunkenness and cares of this life, and that day come upon you suddenly like a trap. For it will come upon all who dwell on the face of the whole earth” [Luke 21:34,35] Not just Jerusalem! So let us from now on - “stay awake at all times” [Luke 21:36]
--------
- DC

#8 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:18 AM

28 September 2012

1 Chronicles 11
Ezekiel 24
Luke 21

"DO NOT BE TERRIFIED"

How natural it is to be terrified when all the things around us are falling apart: The earthquake and tsunami in Japan was a recent example of this. When Jesus predicted the destruction of the Temple, the disciples were very anxious to know when, what sign there would be when it was about to happen. Our reading in Luke 21 shows how Jesus then went on to describe far more trouble that the destruction of the Temple and Jerusalem – these troubles would not be an indication of his imminent return. He said, ‘when you hear of wars and tumults, do not be terrified, but the end will not be at once.” [Luke 21:9]

He said they would be persecuted, but “this will be your opportunity to bear witness” [Luke 21:13]. He promised them, “I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which none of your adversaries will be able to withstand or contradict.” [Luke 21:15] When he then said, ”By your endurance you will gain your lives” [Luke 21:19], it seems evident that he means eternal life – and isn’t that true for us too!

The nation was going to come to a tragic end and “be led captive among all nations, and Jerusalem will be trampled underfoot by the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.” [Luke 21:24] Gentiles means – non-Jewish nations. And it happened in AD70 – but not for ever – only “until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled”– and the next verse tells us that then, “there will be signs in sun and moon and stars, and on earth distress of nations in perplexity because of the roaring of the sea and the waves, people fainting with fear and foreboding of what is coming on the world… For the powers of the heavens will be shaken. And then they will see the Son of Man coming …” [Luke 21:25-26]

Are the sun, moon and stars literal - or symbolic of the ruling powers being in great chaos? Maybe both – but Luke 21:33 indicates a symbolic meaning for “heaven and earth will pass away.” Jesus told the parable of the fig tree in Luke 21:39-41 and the fig tree is symbolic of Israel [Joel 1:7], when “they come out in leaf … you know the kingdom of God is near.” “That day,” says Jesus, will come, “suddenly like a trap ... upon all who dwell on the face of the whole earth” [Luke 21:35] “but stay awake at all times praying …” [Luke 21:36] and “do not be terrified.”
-------
- DC

#9 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:27 AM

28 September 2013

1 Chronicles 11
Ezekiel 24
Luke 21

“MY WORDS WILL NOT PASS AWAY”

Today we read and were challenged by the words of Jesus about the future, some of his words clearly include our days. How familiar is Luke 21 to you? Jesus first predicted the destruction of Jerusalem, telling them, “when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then you know its desolation has come near. Then let those who are in Judea flee …” [Luke 21:21-24] And so his words were fulfilled 37-40 years later.

But note what he then added “… in those days … there will be great distress … and wrath against this people. They will fall by the edge of the sword and be led captive among all nations, and Jerusalem will be trampled underfoot by the Gentiles, until the time of the Gentiles are fulfilled.” [Luke 21:23-24]

Jerusalem is no longer trampled underfoot by non-Jews, excepting that they do not have access to the Temple mount. Now we note Jesus’ challenge, “Now when these things begin to take place straighten up and raise your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.” [Luke 21:28]

How are we to understand these words, “Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all has taken place.” [Luke 21:32] This is the generation that sees Jerusalem being no longer trampled! How long is a generation?

Psalm 90:10 tells us the average life span in God’s view - “The years of our life are seventy …” Is that a generation? Jesus adds more challenging words, “Heaven and earth will pass away but my words will not pass away” [Luke 21:33] This phraseology makes us immediately think of Peter’s words, about the heavens and the earth in Noah’s day being destroyed and that “the heavens and the earth which now exist are stored up for fire, being kept until the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly. But do not overlook this one fact … with the Lord one day is as a thousand years … ” [2 Peter 3:8-9]

So “heavens and the earth” we conclude means the order of things, the rulers and those ruled – this is all going to be changed to bring “the kingdom of God” into existence.

The final words of Jesus teaching is “stay awake at all times, praying that you may have the strength to escape all these things that are going to take place, and to stand before the Son of Man.” [Luke 21:36] Truly – the words of Jesus have not passed away – but how many are seriously listening? Are you?
-------
- DC

#10 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:23 AM

28 September 2014 

1 Chronicles 11
Ezekiel 24
Luke 21  

“WHO GAVE HIM STRONG SUPPORT IN HIS KINGDOM”    

The history period covered in the two books of Chronicles is parallel with that in 2 Samuel and 1 & 2 Kings. We can compare this with the way the 4 gospels are parallel accounts of the life of Jesus.  There are theories that Chronicles was written to fill out the records in Samuel and Kings and this is partly true.  Among the Jews there is a tradition that the Chronicles were written by Ezra and it is a fact that the Book of Ezra which comes at the end of Chronicles begins as though it is a continuation of Chronicles.

What we particularly noticed in today’s chapter [1 Chronicles 11] is that most of it is about the mighty men that served David; it lists those “who gave him strong support in his kingdom” [1 Chronicles 11:10]. It details some of the valiant acts that they did.  They were valuable and faithful friends to David in his great reign as King for 40 years.  Many of these men are not recorded elsewhere and it is a testing task to read these chapters with many unpronounceable words!  

As we read them the thought struck us that “great David’s greater son” as many have sung of Christ; will surely require an untold number of “mighty ones” to go “into battle” for him in the age to come.  The weapons of their warfare in that time will be spiritual, like the Holy Spirit was used in the First Century and which are described as “the powers of the age to come”. [Hebrews 6:5]. We can, in a sense, apply the words we read earlier this month in 2 Corinthians 10:4; Paul said, “the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds.” 

The work of those serving Christ, as King of the world, will be to administer the Law that will go forth into all nations from Jerusalem as revealed to Isaiah 2:2-4.  We note that it says “He shall judge between nations and shall decide disputes …”  The work Christ will perform is further described in Isaiah 11:2-5,9. If we genuinely become part of Christ now, how awesome our tasks may well be at that time!   

Thinking again of David; we have no clear idea of how these mighty men came to know about David, but it seems clear he was able to inspire others and he began to do this from when he killed Goliath. So worthy men responded to his leadership and became an essential part of the strength of his kingship. In the same way the Lord Jesus should inspire us. Those who are inspired and faithful, he will support and will make them to “reign with him for a thousand years.” [Revelation 20:6]
--------
- DC

#11 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:35 AM

28 September 2015

1 Chronicles 11
Ezekiel 24
Luke 21  

"WATCH YOURSELVES LEST ... THAT DAY ..."

The chaos in the Middle East north of Israel seems to be intensifying, so it seems appropriate that Luke 21 is one of our readings today.  But even more important than watching events in the Middle East, and pondering the words of Jesus that “the time of the Gentiles” will be “fulfilled” when “Jerusalem” is no longer trampled underfoot by the Gentiles” [Luke 21:24] is the need for truly God-fearing people – ourselves – to be more conscious than ever of the words of Jesus that "when you see these things taking place, you know that the kingdom of God is near." [Luke 21:31] 

The next verse tells us that Jesus said, "Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all has taken place."  A generation is surely at most – 70 years! 

It is at this awesome time (now surely very near) that those who believe God's words – in their hearts - who will not only be watching the signs in the Middle East but will also heed, with a sense of awe, Jesus' words in Luke 21:34-35, to  "watch yourselves lest your hearts be weighed down with dissipation and drunkenness and cares of this life, and that day come upon you suddenly like a trap. For it will come upon all who dwell on the face of the whole earth. "

True believers – ourselves – will specially heed the next words of Jesus to, "stay awake at all times, praying that you may have strength to escape all these things that are going to take place"  The “strength” of a full faith.

But this verse ends with 8 of the most wonderful, but also the most awesome, words that Jesus uttered! "... and to stand before the Son of Man." [Luke 21:36]

For this reason – above all else we do – let us "watch (y)ourselves" and take the advice of Paul to the Philippians as being personally to us in 2015 – to "be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labour in vain." [Philippians 2:15-16]  Let it be more and more obvious to others – that we have a sure hope – and it may be our Lord’s will that one here and one there are attracted to the light – before “that day” comes “like a trap” on our godless world.
-------
- DC

#12 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:50 PM

28 September 2016

1 Chronicles 11
Ezekiel 24
Luke 21  

"UNTIL THE TIMES OF THE GENTILES ARE FULFILLED" 

Quite a number of Bible Readers would know where to find the above quotation! Can we become too familiar with such passages of Scripture so that they lose their impact for us? We read Luke 21 very slowly this morning. It is evident that the first 24 verses were primarily for those who heard Jesus: and these except for the elderly, were going to experience these “days of vengeance” and “great distress upon the earth and wrath against this people” [Luke 21:22-23].

There is a striking parallel between this and our reading in Ezekiel 24 where the message the prophet sent to Jerusalem is totally blunt. Twice he writes, “Woe to the bloody city” [Ezekiel 24:6,9]. Less than 2 years are now left before God acts to destroy the city and the wonderful Temple Solomon had built. The totally unspiritual behavior of the inhabitants would finally cause God “to rouse my wrath, to take vengeance … on account of your unclean lewdness” [Ezekiel 24:8,12]. There are direct parallels to our generation – and we look carefully at the words of Jesus that apply to our generation.

Are the words of Jesus in Luke 21:25-26 symbolic or literal or a mixture of both? Jesus’ statement is plain enough that Jerusalem will be trampled underfoot by the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.” [Luke 21:24] 

What we cannot say for certain is whether the part of Jerusalem still not under Jewish control, the Mount on which the Temple stood, is significant in the fulfillment of this prophecy. Jerusalem is not being trampled underfoot as it was in former generations. Is there significance in that the Jews were prevented from gaining a good degree of control of the Old City until 1967? The oft quoted passage, “this generation will not pass away until all have taken place” [Luke 21:32] is in the context of “the kingdom of God is near” [Luke 21:31].

We are mindful that Jesus said, “that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels, nor the son” [Matthew 24:36] but Christ’s message at the end of today’s chapter is surely for us in 2016! “But watch yourselves lest your hearts be weighed down with dissipation and drunkenness and cares of this life, and that day come upon you suddenly like a trap. For it will come upon all who dwell on the face of the whole earth” [Luke 21:34-35] Not just Jerusalem! So let us from now on - “stay awake at all times” [Luke 21:36] 
-------
- DC

#13 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:08 AM

28 September 2017

1 Chronicles 11
Ezekiel 24
Luke 21  

"DISTRESS OF NATIONS IN PERPLEXITY"

Our reading in Luke's gospel today [Luke 21] contains the awesome prophecy Jesus gave of events on earth when he is about to return. The meaning of Luke 21:24 is clear to us – that "Jerusalem will be trampled underfoot by the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled." It is no longer "trampled underfoot" – but it is not clear that some parts of the old city are yet under complete Jewish control – but surely "the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled."  

At that time Jesus said awesome events will occur; "there will be signs in sun and moon and stars, and on the earth distress of nations in perplexity because of the roaring of the sea and the waves, people fainting with fear and with foreboding of what is coming on the world." [Luke 21:25-26] Will the "roaring of the sea" be literal? 

This is one of those passages of Scripture that we keep at the 'back of our mind' in case a literal application will suddenly occur. We must note that the very next words are – "And then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory."

Human nature is such that, unless we have a genuine faith developed from a prayerful heart-felt acceptance of the Divine word we will share in the 'distress' and 'perplexity' that is causing everyone else to "faint with fear." Those possessing genuine faith will 'straighten up' and "raise (y)our heads, because (y)our redemption is drawing near." [Luke 21:28] and we will not be overwhelmed by the 'distress' and 'perplexity' that surrounds us.
-------
- DC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users