#1 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:45 AM

First Portion

1 Chronicles 5

5:1 The sons of Reuben the firstborn of Israel (for he was the firstborn; but, because he defiled his father’s couch, his birthright was given to the sons of Joseph the son of Israel; and the genealogy is not to be reckoned after the birthright. 5:2 For Judah prevailed above his brothers, and of him came the prince; but the birthright was Joseph’s:) 5:3 the sons of Reuben the firstborn of Israel: Hanoch, and Pallu, Hezron, and Carmi. 5:4 The sons of Joel: Shemaiah his son, Gog his son, Shimei his son, 5:5 Micah his son, Reaiah his son, Baal his son, 5:6 Beerah his son, whom Tilgath Pilneser king of Assyria carried away captive: he was prince of the Reubenites. 5:7 His brothers by their families, when the genealogy of their generations was reckoned: the chief, Jeiel, and Zechariah, 5:8 and Bela the son of Azaz, the son of Shema, the son of Joel, who lived in Aroer, even to Nebo and Baal Meon: 5:9 and eastward he lived even to the entrance of the wilderness from the river Euphrates, because their livestock were multiplied in the land of Gilead. 5:10 In the days of Saul, they made war with the Hagrites, who fell by their hand; and they lived in their tents throughout all the land east of Gilead. 5:11 The sons of Gad lived over against them, in the land of Bashan to Salecah: 5:12 Joel the chief, and Shapham the second, and Janai, and Shaphat in Bashan. 5:13 Their brothers of their fathers’ houses: Michael, and Meshullam, and Sheba, and Jorai, and Jacan, and Zia, and Eber, seven. 5:14 These were the sons of Abihail, the son of Huri, the son of Jaroah, the son of Gilead, the son of Michael, the son of Jeshishai, the son of Jahdo, the son of Buz; 5:15 Ahi the son of Abdiel, the son of Guni, chief of their fathers’ houses. 5:16 They lived in Gilead in Bashan, and in its towns, and in all the suburbs of Sharon, as far as their borders. 5:17 All these were reckoned by genealogies in the days of Jotham king of Judah, and in the days of Jeroboam king of Israel. 5:18 The sons of Reuben, and the Gadites, and the half-tribe of Manasseh, of valiant men, men able to bear buckler and sword, and to shoot with bow, and skillful in war, were forty-four thousand seven hundred and sixty, that were able to go forth to war. 5:19 They made war with the Hagrites, with Jetur, and Naphish, and Nodab. 5:20 They were helped against them, and the Hagrites were delivered into their hand, and all who were with them; for they cried to God in the battle, and he was entreated of them, because they put their trust in him. 5:21 They took away their livestock; of their camels fifty thousand, and of sheep two hundred fifty thousand, and of donkeys two thousand, and of men one hundred thousand. 5:22 For there fell many slain, because the war was of God. They lived in their place until the captivity. 5:23 The children of the half-tribe of Manasseh lived in the land: they increased from Bashan to Baal Hermon and Senir and Mount Hermon. 5:24 These were the heads of their fathers’ houses: even Epher, and Ishi, and Eliel, and Azriel, and Jeremiah, and Hodaviah, and Jahdiel, mighty men of valor, famous men, heads of their fathers’ houses. 5:25 They trespassed against the God of their fathers, and played the prostitute after the gods of the peoples of the land, whom God destroyed before them. 5:26 The God of Israel stirred up the spirit of Pul king of Assyria, and the spirit of Tilgath Pilneser king of Assyria, and he carried them away, even the Reubenites, and the Gadites, and the half-tribe of Manasseh, and brought them to Halah, and Habor, and Hara, and to the river of Gozan, to this day.

#2 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:46 AM

Second Portion

Ezekiel 18

18:1 The word of Yahweh came to me again, saying, 18:2 What do you mean, that you use this proverb concerning the land of Israel, saying, The fathers have eaten sour grapes, and the children’s teeth are set on edge? 18:3 As I live, says the Lord Yahweh, you shall not have occasion any more to use this proverb in Israel. 18:4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul who sins, he shall die. 18:5 But if a man is just, and does that which is lawful and right, 18:6 and has not eaten on the mountains, neither has lifted up his eyes to the idols of the house of Israel, neither has defiled his neighbor’s wife, neither has come near to a woman in her impurity, 18:7 and has not wronged any, but has restored to the debtor his pledge, has taken nothing by robbery, has given his bread to the hungry, and has covered the naked with a garment; 18:8 he who has not given forth on interest, neither has taken any increase, who has withdrawn his hand from iniquity, has executed true justice between man and man, 18:9 has walked in my statutes, and has kept my ordinances, to deal truly; he is just, he shall surely live, says the Lord Yahweh. 18:10 If he fathers a son who is a robber, a shedder of blood, and who does any one of these things, 18:11 and who does not any of those duties, but even has eaten on the mountains, and defiled his neighbor’s wife, 18:12 has wronged the poor and needy, has taken by robbery, has not restored the pledge, and has lifted up his eyes to the idols, has committed abomination, 18:13 has given forth on interest, and has taken increase; shall he then live? he shall not live: he has done all these abominations; he shall surely die; his blood shall be on him. 18:14 Now, behold, if he fathers a son, who sees all his father’s sins, which he has done, and fears, and does not such like; 18:15 who has not eaten on the mountains, neither has lifted up his eyes to the idols of the house of Israel, has not defiled his neighbor’s wife, 18:16 neither has wronged any, has not taken anything to pledge, neither has taken by robbery, but has given his bread to the hungry, and has covered the naked with a garment; 18:17 who has withdrawn his hand from the poor, who has not received interest nor increase, has executed my ordinances, has walked in my statutes; he shall not die for the iniquity of his father, he shall surely live. 18:18 As for his father, because he cruelly oppressed, robbed his brother, and did that which is not good among his people, behold, he shall die in his iniquity. 18:19 Yet you say, Why doesn’t the son bear the iniquity of the father? When the son has done that which is lawful and right, and has kept all my statutes, and has done them, he shall surely live. 18:20 The soul who sins, he shall die: the son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son; the righteousness of the righteous shall be on him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be on him. 18:21 But if the wicked turn from all his sins that he has committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die. 18:22 None of his transgressions that he has committed shall be remembered against him: in his righteousness that he has done he shall live. 18:23 Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked? says the Lord Yahweh; and not rather that he should return from his way, and live? 18:24 But when the righteous turns away from his righteousness, and commits iniquity, and does according to all the abominations that the wicked man does, shall he live? None of his righteous deeds that he has done shall be remembered: in his trespass that he has trespassed, and in his sin that he has sinned, in them shall he die. 18:25 Yet you say, The way of the Lord is not equal. Hear now, house of Israel: Is my way not equal? Aren’t your ways unequal? 18:26 When the righteous man turns away from his righteousness, and commits iniquity, and dies therein; in his iniquity that he has done shall he die. 18:27 Again, when the wicked man turns away from his wickedness that he has committed, and does that which is lawful and right, he shall save his soul alive. 18:28 Because he considers, and turns away from all his transgressions that he has committed, he shall surely live, he shall not die. 18:29 Yet says the house of Israel, The way of the Lord is not equal. house of Israel, are not my ways equal? Aren’t your ways unequal? 18:30 Therefore I will judge you, house of Israel, everyone according to his ways, says the Lord Yahweh. Return, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin. 18:31 Cast away from you all your transgressions, in which you have transgressed; and make yourself a new heart and a new spirit: for why will you die, house of Israel? 18:32 For I have no pleasure in the death of him who dies, says the Lord Yahweh: therefore turn yourselves, and live.

#3 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:48 AM

Third Portion

Luke 15

15:1 Now all the tax collectors and sinners were coming close to him to hear him. 15:2 The Pharisees and the scribes murmured, saying, “This man welcomes sinners, and eats with them.”

15:3 He told them this parable. 15:4 “Which of you men, if you had one hundred sheep, and lost one of them, wouldn’t leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness, and go after the one that was lost, until he found it? 15:5 When he has found it, he carries it on his shoulders, rejoicing. 15:6 When he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!’ 15:7 I tell you that even so there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents, than over ninety-nine righteous people who need no repentance. 15:8 Or what woman, if she had ten drachma coins, if she lost one drachma coin, wouldn’t light a lamp, sweep the house, and seek diligently until she found it? 15:9 When she has found it, she calls together her friends and neighbors, saying, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found the drachma which I had lost.’ 15:10 Even so, I tell you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner repenting.”

15:11 He said, “A certain man had two sons. 15:12 The younger of them said to his father, ‘Father, give me my share of your property.’ He divided his livelihood between them. 15:13 Not many days after, the younger son gathered all of this together and traveled into a far country. There he wasted his property with riotous living. 15:14 When he had spent all of it, there arose a severe famine in that country, and he began to be in need. 15:15 He went and joined himself to one of the citizens of that country, and he sent him into his fields to feed pigs. 15:16 He wanted to fill his belly with the husks that the pigs ate, but no one gave him any. 15:17 But when he came to himself he said, ‘How many hired servants of my father’s have bread enough to spare, and I’m dying with hunger! 15:18 I will get up and go to my father, and will tell him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in your sight. 15:19 I am no more worthy to be called your son. Make me as one of your hired servants.”’

15:20 “He arose, and came to his father. But while he was still far off, his father saw him, and was moved with compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him. 15:21 The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in your sight. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’

15:22 “But the father said to his servants, ‘Bring out the best robe, and put it on him. Put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet. 15:23 Bring the fattened calf, kill it, and let us eat, and celebrate; 15:24 for this, my son, was dead, and is alive again. He was lost, and is found.’ They began to celebrate.

15:25 “Now his elder son was in the field. As he came near to the house, he heard music and dancing. 15:26 He called one of the servants to him, and asked what was going on. 15:27 He said to him, ‘Your brother has come, and your father has killed the fattened calf, because he has received him back safe and healthy.’ 15:28 But he was angry, and would not go in. Therefore his father came out, and begged him. 15:29 But he answered his father, ‘Behold, these many years I have served you, and I never disobeyed a commandment of yours, but you never gave me a goat, that I might celebrate with my friends. 15:30 But when this, your son, came, who has devoured your living with prostitutes, you killed the fattened calf for him.’

15:31 “He said to him, ‘Son, you are always with me, and all that is mine is yours. 15:32 But it was appropriate to celebrate and be glad, for this, your brother, was dead, and is alive again. He was lost, and is found.’”

World English Bible - (WEB) - Public Domain

#4 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:12 AM

22 September 2008

1 Chronicles 5
Ezekiel 18
Luke 15

#5 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:59 AM

22 September 2009

1 Chronicles 5
Ezekiel 18
Luke 15

#6 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:44 AM

22 September 2010

1 Chronicles 5
Ezekiel 18
Luke 15

SOUR GRAPES

The term “sour grapes” originates in the Bible! It means complaining about something affecting you for which you hold someone else to blame. The Ezekiel reading today [Ezekiel 18] shows that it was a saying, a proverb, among the Israelites in his days. The full saying was, “The father’s have eaten sour grapes and the children’s teeth are set on edge.” [Ezekiel 18:2]

Sounds strange? What does it mean? As you read the chapter you realize that those in captivity with Ezekiel were blaming their parents and predecessors for their predicament. It was the “blame game” so familiar in the world today! We must not let the spirit of finding someone else to blame for our problems rub off on us. Let us see problems as a challenge, an opportunity to show the “spirit of Christ” in dealing with them, it is the way our character will grow.

This chapter is also often quoted by us to show the Bible does not teach the soul is immortal – “the soul who sins shall die,” we read! The predicament you are in, Ezekiel tells them - here in captivity- is your own fault, you will die here in captivity for your own sins. The situation is no different today. But says the prophet, if they (and we) turn away from godless ways “and do what is just and right, he shall surely live; he shall not die” [Ezekiel 18:21] That means – not die eternally. How terrible to die eternally! You will never know that you had even lived. You will be nothing!!

Finally, notice the very last verse of the chapter!

“For I have no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Lord GOD; so turn, and live.”
-------
- DC

#7 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:51 AM

22 September 2011

1 Chronicles 5
Ezekiel 18
Luke 15

"THIS MY SON WAS DEAD AND IS ALIVE AGAIN"

Today we read one of the most remembered parables of Jesus. It is usually called the ‘parable of the prodigal son,’ but it occurs to us that it would be equally, if not more appropriate to call it ‘the parable of the forgiving father.’ The key to the primary purpose of Christ’s parables is usually in their final verse, in this one we read the father’s words, “It was fitting to celebrate and be glad, for this your brother was dead, and is alive; he was lost, and is found.” [Luke 15:32]

The wonder of the father’s forgiveness is most fully brought out in the part that tells us that when the wayward son decides to return home and starts on his journey, “while he was still a long way off his father saw him and felt compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him.” [Luke 15:20] Such is the son’s contrition he protests his unworthiness, he had just wanted to be like “a hired servant.” The father’s celebration continues, he “said to his servants, ‘Bring quickly the best robe … bring the fattened calf … let us eat and celebrate. For this my son was dead, and is alive again, he was lost …” [Luke 15:22, 23].

We are only truly alive when we are with Christ! How great the Father’s love for those who commit their lives to him – and show this through baptism. We meditate on what Peter wrote, “I am stirring up your sincere mind by way of reminder … the Lord is not slow to fulfil his promise as some men count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.” [2 Peter 3:1,9] The context appears to say that the Lord is not willing that any of you should perish. As in his parable, he is on the lookout for lost and straying sheep and goes to great lengths to find them.

He helps his sheep to overcome the world, and he who overcomes, i.e “The one who conquers will be clothed thus in white garments, and I will never blot his name out of the book of life.” [Revelation 3:5] There are more distractions and attractions than ever in this very godless world, enticing sheep to stray; there is even“hatred” by many of anything that threatens to prick their conscience. Again the words of Jesus come to mind, “you will be hated by all … but the one who endures to the end will be saved.” [Matthew 10:22]
-------
- DC

#8 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:08 AM

22 September 2012

1 Chronicles 5
Ezekiel 18
Luke 15

"JOY BEFORE THE ANGELS OF GOD"

Our readings today in both Ezekiel and Luke highlight how God looks to see a repentant spirit among individuals and when it happens “there is joy before the angels of God over one sinner who repents” [Luke 15:10].

We noted the emphasis on one sinner. The Jewish communal way of life under the Law of Moses around the tabernacle and later in the Temple had a tendency to think in national terms, I am “right” in the sight of God because I am a member of his “chosen people.” Is there not the same attitude within Christianity?

Yet in the time of Christ at least, the Jews saw themselves as split into two camps. The self righteous Pharisees thought this, they grumbled about Jesus saying, “This man receives sinners and eats with them” [Luke 15:2] and huddled together in their self-righteousness.

The chapter records 3 parables of Jesus that show God is concerned about individuals. First, is the story of the lost sheep, then the lost coin and then the familiar one about the prodigal son – although this may be more appropriate to describe as the parable of the forgiving father. The words of Peter in his 2nd Epistle challenge us, he wrote “The Lord is not slow to fulfil his promise as some count slowness but is patient toward you, not wishing that any (of you) should perish, but that all (of you) should reach repentance.” [2 Peter 3:9]

The words we put in brackets are not in the text, but the flow of reasoning strongly implies them - especially in view of the opening words in 2 Peter 2 about the “false prophets” and “destructive heresies” leading them astray [2 Peter 2:1-3]. We are not justified in assuming God does not is not willing that anyone at all should perish. Today there are so many who do “not see fit to acknowledge God, (so) God gave them up to a debased mind …” [Romans 1:28 (see Romans 1:24,26)].

Ezekiel 18 is the chapter which twice tells us “the soul who sins shall die” [Ezekiel 18:4,20]: verses which those who cling to the belief that the soul is immortal ignore, but the Heb. word rendered as soul, both here and elsewhere, basically means, person. See the point in Ezekiel 18:21, the one who “turns away from his sins … and keeps my statutes and does what is just and right, he shall surely live: he shall not die” (eternally) – creating “joy before the angels of God.” Finally, look up the last 2 verses of the Epistle of James about our potential for action toward lost or straying sheep [James 5:19-20].
-------
- DC

#9 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:08 AM

22 September 2013

1 Chronicles 5
Ezekiel 18
Luke 15

"WAS DEAD AND IS ALIVE"

Today we read one of the most remembered parables of Jesus. It is usually called the ‘parable of the prodigal son,’ but it occurs to us that it could equally be called ‘The parable of the forgiving father.’ The key to the primary purpose of Christ’s parables is usually in their final verse, in this one we read the father’s words, “It was fitting to celebrate and be glad, for this your brother was dead, and is alive; he was lost, and is found.” [Luke 15:32]

The wonder of the father’s forgiveness is most fully brought out in the part that tells us that when the wayward son decides to return home and starts on his journey, “while he was still a long way off his father saw him and felt compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him.” [Luke 15:20]

Such is the son’s contrition he protests his unworthiness, he had just wanted to return and be like “a hired servant.” The father’s celebration continues, he “said to his servants, ‘Bring quickly the best robe … bring the fattened calf … let us eat and celebrate. For this my son was dead, and is alive again, he was lost …” [Luke 15:22-23].

We are only truly alive when we are with Christ! How great the Father’s love for those who commit their lives to him ­ and show this through baptism. We meditate on what Peter wrote, “I am stirring up your sincere mind by way of reminder … the Lord is not slow to fulfil his promise as some men count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.” [2 Peter 3:1,9]

The context is saying that the Lord is not willing that any of you should perish. As in his parable, he is on the lookout for lost and straying sheep and goes to great lengths to find them.

He helps his sheep to overcome the world. In Revelation Jesus says, “The one who conquers ( i.e. overcomes) will be clothed thus in white garments, and I will never blot his name out of the book of life.” [Revelation 3:5] There are more attractions and distractions than ever in our extremely godless world, enticing sheep to stray; there is also increasing “hatred” in the world of anything that threatens to prick their conscience.

How true the words of Jesus are likely to become, “you will be hated by all … but the one who endures to the end will be saved.” [Matthew 10:22] Let us endure, let us be truly “alive.”
-------
- DC

#10 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:01 AM

22 September 2014

1 Chronicles 5
Ezekiel 18
Luke 15 

“MAKE YOURSELVES A NEW HEART”

Our chapter (18) in Ezekiel offers us a change of focus, instead of describing the sins of God’s nation, the prophet is caused to express God’s encouragement to individuals in that nation to turn from their evil ways and serve him.  This is also a chapter which stresses the divine judgement on individuals and shows that the word ‘soul’ does not mean some ‘spirit’ part of a person, often referred to as ‘the soul’ that is able to continue ‘living’ in some way – even though the body is dead.  This is what the Greeks and Romans believed – and the Catholics believed and most other ‘christians’-  under their influence - came to  believe in later centuries  – and, of course, the Muslims.

Twice in this chapter Ezekiel records the words of God, “the soul who sins shall die” [Ezekiel 18:4,20]. The Hebrew word can be translated as ‘the person’ wherever it occurs.  Ezekiel conveys God’s blunt words to the people, “Therefore I will judge you … every one according to his (her) ways, declares the Lord GOD.  Repent and turn from your transgressions, lest iniquity be your ruin.”  [Ezekiel 18:30]  Godlessness is obviously going to be the ruin of our world today.   Just as Jerusalem and its wonderful temple were destroyed in the days of Jeremiah and Ezekiel, so will our world experience  an awesome judgement by God.   Our present readings of the words of Jesus in the Gospel of Luke are making this increasingly clear.

The final verse in our Ezekiel chapter catches our attention; its appeal applies just as much now as it did then. “Make yourselves a new heart and a new spirit!  Why will you die …?” [Ezekiel 18:31] This is equally a question for today, “why will you die” eternally – never again to see the light and experience and explore the wonders of existence?  Many Scriptures ask this question, read Psalm 49 as an outstanding example.

Luke records Jesus’ parable about a lost coin.  A diligent search is made and finally it is found – what rejoicing follows!  “Just so,” says Jesus, “I tell you, there is joy before the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”  Jesus is the only person who ever lived who has never had to repent about anything.  Has there been “joy in heaven” over you?  Or will there be when you “make yourself a new heart” and marvel in “a new spirit” of mind as you are baptised into the name of Christ and commit yourself to use your particular talents in the service of Christ – before he returns!    
-------
- DC

#11 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:27 AM

22 September 2015

1 Chronicles 5
Ezekiel 18
Luke 15  

“MORE JOY IN HEAVEN”

We have a set of 3 challenging parables in today's chapter of Luke [Luke 15].  The chapter starts with a comment that "the Pharisees and the scribes grumbled"  because "the tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to hear" Jesus.  These religious leaders were all suffering from self-righteousness!

A fundamental point for us to make sure we have in mind - is that no one can 'earn' a place in God's kingdom because of their own righteousness. The gospels have many examples of those who thought they could, through keeping the Law.  But, as Paul told the Galatians, "if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose." [Galatians 2:21] Down through the centuries there have been, it seems, all too many examples of self-righteousness.

After telling those who were "drawing near to hear him" - the parables of the lost sheep and the lost coin - and the rejoicing after they were found - Jesus makes two comments’  First, in Luke 15:7, we read ”I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents" than over any of those who feel self-righteous!  His point is emphasized in Luke 15:10  "I tell you, there is joy before the angels of God over one sinner who repents."  

The reference to the involvement of angels in this "joy" is intriguing. We recall the reference to "the multitude of the heavenly host praising God" at the birth of Jesus that we read in Luke 2:13-14.  When we come to Luke 20 on Sunday we will read that "those who are considered worthy to attain to that age and to the resurrection ... cannot die anymore, because they are equal to angels ..." [Luke 20:35-36]  

This leads us to meditate - and marvel - at the reference to the work of "the angels" now!    Yes, we marvel and we ponder the wonder of the last 2 verses in Hebrews 1 where we read the declaration - "Are they not all ministering spirits sent out to serve for the sake of those who are to inherit salvation?" [Hebrews 1:13-14]

Finally, how long now before these "ministering spirits" will have "more joy" - for our Lord "will send out the angels and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth …" [Mark 13:27] as their and our Lord is “coming in clouds with great power and glory.” [Mark 13:26]

In this almost totally evil world, may we all so live, that we are able to join Paul in saying what he wrote in his final letter, "I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that Day what has been entrusted to me." [2 Timothy 1:12]  Let us meditate on the things “entrusted” to each one of us.
-------
- DC

#12 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 01:51 PM

22 September 2016

1 Chronicles 5
Ezekiel 18
Luke 15 

“THE SOUL WHO SINS SHALL DIE”

Our chapter in Ezekiel [Ezekiel 18] is one that is often quoted in discussions with those who believe that we possess some sort of inner being, a soul, that lives on in some sense after their body dies: but this idea is nowhere to be found in God’s word. The word ‘nephesh’ in Hebrew, which here and in some places is translated as soul, first occurs in Genesis 1:20 – where it is translated as ‘creature.’ It does not mean some ‘spirit’ part of a person. In today’s chapter in Ezekiel we read that “The word of the LORD came to me …. Behold, all souls are mine; the soul of the father as well as the soul of the son is mine: the soul who sins shall die.” [Ezekiel 18:1,4]

It is made clear again to Ezekiel that the father or son who “has done what is just and right, and has been careful to observe all my statutes, he shall surely live.” [Ezekiel 18:19] It is only “the soul who sins shall die.” [Ezekiel 18:20]. In the next verse we read "But if a wicked person turns away from all his sins that he has committed and keeps all my statutes and does what is just and right, he shall surely live; he shall not die.”

But this is not saying, eternally live! But those who remain wicked – will die eternally! We have said, many times, there is only the broad and wide way – and the narrow way! Paul expresses this bluntly as we read at the beginning of the month in 1 Corinthians 15. “For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive.” [1 Corinthians 15:22] Nothing, “be made” – they do not naturally have a nature that is ‘eternally alive.’ Those before Christ came, who lived by genuine faith, as shown in Hebrews 11, will “be made perfect” at the same time as those “in Christ.”

Finally, we bring to mind Paul’s declaration of faith as his mortal life was ending; “the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.” [2 Timothy 4:6-8]. May “that day” soon come – there are increasing signs it is near.
-------
- DC

#13 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:35 AM

22 September 2017

1 Chronicles 5
Ezekiel 18
Luke 15

"HE WAS LOST, AND IS FOUND"

The detailed parable of Jesus in Luke 15:11-32 about the prodigal son is a challenge to understand. We see it as applying to the Jewish nation, which, of its' own initiative chose to return to its ancient homeland – it was to a large degree a miracle! How did these long scattered people do this!? How did their god, the only God that has ever been, who sees all and knows all, do this?

If we are to know the answer to that question, we need to come as close as possible to God, beginning with being baptised into the name of His Son – and then, following a life that brings us closer and closer to him, we will be in His Kingdom and then, and only then, will we know how he does such things. 

Paul told the people in Athens about "The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, (he) does not live in temples made by man" (such as the Athenians made for the gods of their imagination!) [Acts 17:24]. He told them more about the true God who "made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth …" that they should seek God, and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him. Yet he is actually not far from each one of us, for "In him we live and move and have our being" [Acts 17:27-28] 

So, with this perception of God in action in our minds we turn back to our parable and 'see' there is a sense into which the 'father' represents God - and the Jews are the prodigal son, and in our days have returned to their homeland. And, also although the media gives this little or no publicity – there is renewed study of the Old Testament, the only part of the Bible they accept, and acceptance of the one true God. The Jews were 'lost' – and soon we will see the wonder of them being 'found.' 

Those who count themselves as true believers in Christ and have absorbed all that he and his followers need to see the point of this parable for themselves and "celebrate and be glad" [Luke 15:32] as they see the Jews seeing more clearly the wonder of God and purposes – as they certainly will when Jesus returns – and how soon now!?
-------
- DC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users