Photo
- - - - -

Predestination

Posted by BeachLovin67 , 17 August 2008 · 3,834 views

Several Scriptures tell of God's predetermined chosen children. So, am I to understand that if a person is not chosen, then there's no sense in praying to the Lord to change His "mind" to get someone who is not a believer to change their hearts toward the Lord? I'm asking because I have family and friends who have no belief of God, and I've prayed for years, and I wonder sometimes now if my prayers may be "useless" because they are simply not one of God's chosen children. These are disturbing thoughts for me! Thank you. Dalila :please:

So many people misread the Bible as far as predestination. God predestined us to have the opportunity of salvation. He did not pre select us to salvation. If He had, we would not have free will. You are blessed by God with the opportunity of salvation. The angels did not have this opportunity.

God bless
Photo
manmountain
Dec 25 2008 04:49 PM
How do you know who is and who is not. I agree with deanh.
What part of :
Jhn 3:15 that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.
Jhn 6:40 For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day."
1Jo 5:13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.
2Cr 5:15 And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.
Whereas it's irrefutable that salvation is offered to everyone on some clear and easy-to-understand conditions, and that quite regardless of their personal background and circumstances, it's hard to see how these comments address the core of the question in hand. Especially in view of the opposing set of Scriptures which also have their place in the Word of God and which no doubt must have floated in Dalila's mind as she pondered the whole thing.

Rom 8:29,30 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called...
Eph 1:4,5 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will.

NT indeed seems pretty much full of this notion of predestination, but I guess the backbone of the ‘pro’ slant may be found in one particular excerpt, namely Rom 9:10-23 which is well worth keeping in mind when studying or commenting on the subject.
Photo
freeandeasyo
Dec 05 2009 11:35 PM
I think I understand that the Jews are God's chosen people. He chose them to deliver His Truth to all of the world; however, throughout the history of the old testament the Jewish people failed to remain faithful to Him. God sent His Son Jesus to fix that, and in effect replace the Jewish responsibility to share God with the World. Jesus said that he did not come to break God's promise to the Jews as being his chosen people, but to share God's Grace and Spirit with the rest of the world, the Gentiles, whom He also chose as His own.
I believe that in that way, we are all chosen by God.
However, I have also come to understand that only those chosen by God will come to know Christ, and therefore receive forgiveness and salvation. I am no theologist, but I believe that God chose me to come to know Jesus, my Christ, my Saviour and my King, because the path I was walking in life would never have brought me to Jesus. God, by His Grace brought me to my knees before Jesus so that I would truly invite Him into my life and surrender to Him and to God's Holy Spirit.
Jesus said that He will knock on the door, and if it is opened, He will enter. I think that some way, some how, He knocks on every person's 'door'. Not everyone opens it. I did not open mine for a long time, but when I did, He entered, just as He promised.

However, I have also come to understand that only those chosen by God will come to know Christ

Well put, and in full accordance with the Scripture:

"No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him" (John 6:44)

February 2018

S M T W T F S
1819 20 21222324

Recent Entries

Recent Comments