Help me understand

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kamass

kamass
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:22 PM

As i read through the new testament i stumbled upon (Matthew 10:36-38) who gave me food for thought.

-"And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me."

Mentioning a cross quite early in the book, What does he mean by that sentence?

Please excuse my typos, bad grammar english isnt my native language

#2 nsr

nsr

Order of the Golden Pedant 2nd Class

• Forum Manager
  • 6,370 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:25 PM

It means living a life of self-denial and service to God, just as Jesus did, culminating in his sacrificial death on the cross.
"But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, to an innumerable company of angels, to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are registered in heaven, to God the Judge of all, to the spirits of just men made perfect..." (Heb 12:22-23)

#3 Matt Smith

Matt Smith

Upsilon

• Forum Manager
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:00 PM

nsr is correct... To add to that read Colossians 3:1-17
Matt Smith
Arizona Christadelphians

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

#4 kamass

kamass
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:32 PM

Thanks for your fast responds but how is it that he mentions the cross so early? He knew not at that time that he would be crucified am i right?

#5 Richie

Richie

Chi

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

He did know he would be crucified.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett.

#6 daysha

daysha

Rho

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:51 AM

As Richie said, plus I would expect that Jesus was drawing from a common experience of the time (like he did with his parables) because Israel was under Roman control and it was likely that people would have seen the horror of the crucifixion of criminals as that was the Roman way of execution then.

I guess that convicted men would be seen carrying their cross and Jesus' hearers would probably have seen such horrible things.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users