#1 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 9,878 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:34 AM

First Portion

Job 3; 4

3:1 After this Job opened his mouth, and cursed the day of his birth. 3:2 Job answered:

3:3 “Let the day perish in which I was born,
the night which said, ‘There is a boy conceived.’
3:4 Let that day be darkness.
Don’t let God from above seek for it,
neither let the light shine on it.
3:5 Let darkness and the shadow of death claim it for their own.
Let a cloud dwell on it.
Let all that makes black the day terrify it.
3:6 As for that night, let thick darkness seize on it.
Let it not rejoice among the days of the year.
Let it not come into the number of the months.
3:7 Behold, let that night be barren.
Let no joyful voice come therein.
3:8 Let them curse it who curse the day,
who are ready to rouse up leviathan.
3:9 Let the stars of its twilight be dark.
Let it look for light, but have none,
neither let it see the eyelids of the morning,
3:10 because it didn’t shut up the doors of my mother’s womb,
nor did it hide trouble from my eyes.
3:11 “Why didn’t I die from the womb?
Why didn’t I give up the spirit when my mother bore me?
3:12 Why did the knees receive me?
Or why the breast, that I should nurse?
3:13 For now should I have lain down and been quiet.
I should have slept, then I would have been at rest,
3:14 with kings and counselors of the earth,
who built up waste places for themselves;
3:15 or with princes who had gold,
who filled their houses with silver:
3:16 or as a hidden untimely birth I had not been,
as infants who never saw light.
3:17 There the wicked cease from troubling.
There the weary are at rest.
3:18 There the prisoners are at ease together.
They don’t hear the voice of the taskmaster.
3:19 The small and the great are there.
The servant is free from his master.
3:20 “Why is light given to him who is in misery,
life to the bitter in soul,
3:21 Who long for death, but it doesn’t come;
and dig for it more than for hidden treasures,
3:22 who rejoice exceedingly,
and are glad, when they can find the grave?
3:23 Why is light given to a man whose way is hidden,
whom God has hedged in?
3:24 For my sighing comes before I eat.
My groanings are poured out like water.
3:25 For the thing which I fear comes on me,
That which I am afraid of comes to me.
3:26 I am not at ease, neither am I quiet, neither have I rest;
but trouble comes.”

#2 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 9,878 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:35 AM

4:1 Then Eliphaz the Temanite answered,

4:2 “If someone ventures to talk with you, will you be grieved?
But who can withhold himself from speaking?
4:3 Behold, you have instructed many,
you have strengthened the weak hands.
4:4 Your words have supported him who was falling,
You have made firm the feeble knees.
4:5 But now it has come to you, and you faint.
It touches you, and you are troubled.
4:6 Isn’t your piety your confidence?
Isn’t the integrity of your ways your hope?
4:7 “Remember, now, whoever perished, being innocent?
Or where were the upright cut off?
4:8 According to what I have seen, those who plow iniquity,
and sow trouble,
reap the same.
4:9 By the breath of God they perish.
By the blast of his anger are they consumed.
4:10 The roaring of the lion,
and the voice of the fierce lion,
the teeth of the young lions, are broken.
4:11 The old lion perishes for lack of prey.
The cubs of the lioness are scattered abroad.
4:12 “Now a thing was secretly brought to me.
My ear received a whisper of it.
4:13 In thoughts from the visions of the night,
when deep sleep falls on men,
4:14 fear came on me, and trembling,
which made all my bones shake.
4:15 Then a spirit passed before my face.
The hair of my flesh stood up.
4:16 It stood still, but I couldn’t discern its appearance.
A form was before my eyes.
Silence, then I heard a voice, saying,
4:17 ‘Shall mortal man be more just than God?
Shall a man be more pure than his Maker?
4:18 Behold, he puts no trust in his servants.
He charges his angels with error.
4:19 How much more, those who dwell in houses of clay,
whose foundation is in the dust,
who are crushed before the moth!
4:20 Between morning and evening they are destroyed.
They perish forever without any regarding it.
4:21 Isn’t their tent cord plucked up within them?
They die, and that without wisdom.’

#3 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 9,878 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:36 AM

Second Portion

Jonah 4

4:1 But it displeased Jonah exceedingly, and he was angry. 4:2 He prayed to Yahweh, and said, “Please, Yahweh, wasn’t this what I said when I was still in my own country? Therefore I hurried to flee to Tarshish, for I knew that you are a gracious God, and merciful, slow to anger, and abundant in loving kindness, and you relent of doing harm. 4:3 Therefore now, Yahweh, take, I beg you, my life from me; for it is better for me to die than to live.”

4:4 Yahweh said, “Is it right for you to be angry?”

4:5 Then Jonah went out of the city, and sat on the east side of the city, and there made himself a booth, and sat under it in the shade, until he might see what would become of the city. 4:6 Yahweh God prepared a vine, and made it to come up over Jonah, that it might be a shade over his head, to deliver him from his discomfort. So Jonah was exceedingly glad because of the vine. 4:7 But God prepared a worm at dawn the next day, and it chewed on the vine, so that it withered. 4:8 It happened, when the sun arose, that God prepared a sultry east wind; and the sun beat on Jonah’s head, so that he fainted, and requested for himself that he might die, and said, “It is better for me to die than to live.”

4:9 God said to Jonah, “Is it right for you to be angry about the vine?”

He said, “I am right to be angry, even to death.”

4:10 Yahweh said, “You have been concerned for the vine, for which you have not labored, neither made it grow; which came up in a night, and perished in a night. 4:11 Shouldn’t I be concerned for Nineveh, that great city, in which are more than one hundred twenty thousand persons who can’t discern between their right hand and their left hand; and also much livestock?”

#4 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 9,878 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:38 AM

Third Portion

Hebrews 10

10:1 For the law, having a shadow of the good to come, not the very image of the things, can never with the same sacrifices year by year, which they offer continually, make perfect those who draw near. 10:2 Or else wouldn’t they have ceased to be offered, because the worshippers, having been once cleansed, would have had no more consciousness of sins? 10:3 But in those sacrifices there is a yearly reminder of sins. 10:4 For it is impossible that the blood of bulls and goats should take away sins. 10:5 Therefore when he comes into the world, he says,

“Sacrifice and offering you didn’t desire,
but you prepared a body for me;
10:6 You had no pleasure in whole burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin.
10:7 Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come (in the scroll of the book it is written of me)
to do your will, O God.’”

10:8 Previously saying, “Sacrifices and offerings and whole burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin you didn’t desire, neither had pleasure in them” (those which are offered according to the law), 10:9 then he has said, “Behold, I have come to do your will.” He takes away the first, that he may establish the second, 10:10 by which will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. 10:11 Every priest indeed stands day by day serving and often offering the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins, 10:12 but he, when he had offered one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down on the right hand of God; 10:13 from that time waiting until his enemies are made the footstool of his feet. 10:14 For by one offering he has perfected forever those who are being sanctified. 10:15 The Holy Spirit also testifies to us, for after saying,

10:16 “This is the covenant that I will make with them:
‘After those days,’ says the Lord,
‘I will put my laws on their heart,
I will also write them on their mind;’”

then he says,

10:17 “I will remember their sins and their iniquities no more.”

10:18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin. 10:19 Having therefore, brothers, boldness to enter into the holy place by the blood of Jesus, 10:20 by the way which he dedicated for us, a new and living way, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh; 10:21 and having a great priest over the house of God, 10:22 let’s draw near with a true heart in fullness of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and having our body washed with pure water, 10:23 let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering; for he who promised is faithful.

10:24 Let us consider how to provoke one another to love and good works, 10:25 not forsaking our own assembling together, as the custom of some is, but exhorting one another; and so much the more, as you see the Day approaching. 10:26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more a sacrifice for sins, 10:27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and a fierceness of fire which will devour the adversaries. 10:28 A man who disregards Moses’ law dies without compassion on the word of two or three witnesses. 10:29 How much worse punishment, do you think, will he be judged worthy of, who has trodden under foot the Son of God, and has counted the blood of the covenant with which he was sanctified an unholy thing, and has insulted the Spirit of grace? 10:30 For we know him who said, “Vengeance belongs to me,” says the Lord, “I will repay.” Again, “The Lord will judge his people.” 10:31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. 10:32 But remember the former days, in which, after you were enlightened, you endured a great struggle with sufferings; 10:33 partly, being exposed to both reproaches and oppressions; and partly, becoming partakers with those who were treated so. 10:34 For you both had compassion on me in my chains, and joyfully accepted the plundering of your possessions, knowing that you have for yourselves a better possession and an enduring one in the heavens. 10:35 Therefore don’t throw away your boldness, which has a great reward. 10:36 For you need endurance so that, having done the will of God, you may receive the promise.

10:37 “In a very little while,
he who comes will come, and will not wait.
10:38 But the righteous will live by faith.
If he shrinks back, my soul has no pleasure in him.”

10:39 But we are not of those who shrink back to destruction, but of those who have faith to the saving of the soul.

World English Bible - (WEB) - Public Domain

#5 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 9,878 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:57 AM

03 December 2008

Job 3; 4
Jonah 4
Hebrews 10

#6 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 9,878 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:42 AM

03 December 2009

Job 3; 4
Jonah 4
Hebrews 10

#7 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 9,878 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:37 PM

03 December 2010

Job 3; 4
Jonah 4
Hebrews 10

"LET US HOLD FAST"

The message of encouragement in today’s chapter in Hebrews is one of the strongest – and bluntest – in the Bible. It is likely this letter was being circulated as Jerusalem was under threat of destruction. After a 3 year siege it was destroyed; a destruction that included the Temple, the time when “not one stone was left upon another”, as Jesus had predicted. (Luke 21:6) The brought to an end all sacrifices under the Mosaic Law.

“Therefore brothers,” we read, “… we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, by the new and living way that he opened for us” [Hebrews 10:19,20] This was so full of meaning to those who had left behind the ritual of Temple sacrifices. But thinking further, can we not see today the contrast to those who sacrifice their lives (in a sense) to the joys of the flesh in today’s godless world? This caused us to think ahead to tomorrow’s chapter where we read of Joseph, growing up in Egypt “choosing rather to be mistreated … than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin.” [Hebrews 11:25].

Now today’s chapter goes on to say, “let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water” [Hebrews 10:22]. The water of baptism was (or is) our gateway into a new and meaningful life. And now note the next verse, “Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering” [Hebrews 10:23]

Then follows a wonderful expression of positive thinking, “Let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together … but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the day drawing near.” [Hebrews 10:24,25]
-------
- DC

#8 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 9,878 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:13 AM

03 December 2011

Job 3; 4
Jonah 4
Hebrews 10

"THE THING I FEAR COMES UPON ME"

The account of Job’s life needs careful analysis, there are some key verses to pick up. We started reading this book yesterday and one of the puzzles is the reference to Satan. The footnote says this word means “the adversary” [Heb. satanas] – and this adversary receives no further mention after the first 30 verses of the book. The first use of this word in the Bible describes the role of the angel God sent to oppose the false prophet Balaam [Numbers 22:22,32] translated as “adversary” and “to oppose you”.

Job never thinks that his problems are caused by some evil power, he tells his wife, “Shall we receive good from God, and shall we not receive evil?” (or calamity – [footnote] The primary purpose of this book is to reason out how we should wisely react when things develop badly in our lives: they are often, but not always, our own fault. Job has three “friends” who have a very dogmatic attitude on this and in the end they are rebuked by God [Job 42:7] and God’s anger is directed against them.

Today we particularly note Job’s admission, “my groanings are poured out like water. For the thing that I fear comes upon me and what I dread befalls me. I am not at ease, nor am I quiet …” [Job 3:24-26]. This shows that Job, although “blameless and upright” [Job 1:1] was, underneath, lacking that important underlying confidence in God. As a side thought, we wonder how many “wealthy” today are dreading what could befall them?

As we read the book of Job we will see that his confidence progressively grows as his insight into the ways of God develops and he says some very perceptive things. This is aptly summed up for us as an essential principle in our lives in the last verse of today’s New Testament reading, “but we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls.” [Hebrews 10:39]
-------
- DC

#9 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 9,878 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

03 December 2012

Job 3; 4
Jonah 4
Hebrews 10

“YOU HAVE NEED OF …”

Is there anyone who thinks they do not need anything? With Christmas in 3 weeks’ time, the younger one’s especially are thinking of the things they need and that it would be good to receive!

Our readings today in Hebrews say, “For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised.” [Hebrews 10:36] Are you enduring? We live in a world, at least in this country that is very impatient. It is said, this is the ‘NOW’ generation. Until recently it was easy (and still is to some extent) to get what you want ‘NOW’ – and pay later. The folly of living beyond ones’ income is becoming more evident. Some countries, especially in Europe are learning this and are having to endure the pain of austerity.

But the Letter to Hebrews is about something entirely different. Paul tells them, “do not throw away your confidence which has great reward” [Hebrews 10:35]. We throw or give away the things we do not need!

But confidence!? What do you and I have confidence in? Do we have confidence in God’s knowledge and oversight in all that happens as a result of the “freewill” he allows? What confidence do we have in what will happen in the future! God has oversight of that and can intervene as he chooses, as our readings frequently reveal – often we puzzle to know more exactly what they are alluding to - Zechariah 12:1-3 being an example in the light of Middle East events now – and in recent years.

We saw lessons illustrating his oversight in individual lives in our readings in Job and Jonah; both men had, at least temporarily, lost sight of the will of God working out a pathway in their lives. Are we any better? But if we really commit ourselves to be children of God and more and more live for him in faith – then we will sense more clearly His purpose in the things he allows (or causes) to happen in our own lives and in the world.

Take special notice of how Hebrews 10 ends, “my righteous one shall (aim to) live by faith, and if he shrinks back, my soul has no pleasure in him (or her). But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls.” [Hebrews 10:38-39]. Wise men have written about “the power of positive thinking” but Hebrews reminds us of the words of Jesus himself, “the one who endures to the end will be saved.” [Matthew 24:14] Let us try harder to see the “need of endurance” and put what we see into practice.
-------
- DC

#10 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 9,878 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:39 AM

03 December 2012

Job 3; 4
Jonah 4
Hebrews 10

"LET US DRAW NEAR WITH A TRUE HEART"

“A true heart” – we plucked out that phrase from our reading of Hebrews 10 with a question in our minds – who has a “true” heart”? We are conscious that there are many passages in Scripture which emphasise the deceitfulness of the human heart, e.g., Jeremiah 17:9; Mark 7:21-22, etc.

We finished reading Jonah today and it illustrated the lack of merciful thought in his heart and how God tried to get him to see the situation from the divine perspective. Let us remember the teaching of Jesus on this: read Matthew 5:44-48. Of course, history shows that Nineveh’s repentance did not last into the following generations, but that is not the point. When printing was first invented the Bible was the first book available for all to read – and how eagerly it was read – in the 17th Century – but that spirit did not last.

In our reading in Hebrews 10 we see how the writer (we presume it was Paul) plucks out 2 quotations from Jeremiah to illustrate the mercy of God: “I will remember their sins and their lawless deeds no more” (from Jeremiah 31:34)

It is essential we have the right reaction in our hearts to the mercies of God. We next read in Hebrews, “Therefore … since we have a great High Priest (Jesus) … let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith …” [Hebrews 10:19,21,22]

Our hearts must now be “true” and constantly feeding on God’s word, and developing a real relationship with our High Priest. As we properly absorb the divine word into our minds we will build up the full reality of that sense of ‘truth’ in our relationship with God. This will lead us to “consider how to stir one another to love and good works” [Hebrews 10:24]. May our daily diligent reading of God’s word help in stirring our hearts and minds to remain “true.” As a result we will be busy “encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the day drawing near.” [Hebrews 10:25]

Our chapter ends with a quotation from what God said to Habakkuk (which we will read next week), God told him “my righteous one(s) shall live by faith, (but) if he (or she) shrinks back, my soul has no pleasure in him (or her)”

May we all be among “those who have faith and preserve their souls” – which are the words which end the chapter – leading to the start of tomorrow’s chapter and it’s challenging description of real faith as “the assurance of things hoped for; the conviction of things not seen.” Those who develop a “true heart” will also develop that “conviction.”
-------
- DC

#11 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 9,878 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:56 AM

03 December 2014

Job 3; 4
Jonah 4
Hebrews 10  

“DO NOT THROW AWAY YOUR CONFIDENCE”  

As we read on in Paul’s message to the Hebrews we find it is increasingly appropriate for today. It contrasts with the misery Job expresses in his opening words when his three ‘friends’ arrive – thankfully we are to see how his mind steadily comes to focus on more positive thoughts in future chapters.  And then there is Jonah, frustrated at the mercy of God toward Nineveh, but of course, history shows that Nineveh and Assyria were destroyed – their repentance was not maintained.  And so today, the spirituality and repentance of earlier generations, especially when the Bible was first available for all to read – has now vanished like the morning mist.  That thought brings us back to our Hebrews chapter.

Paul, after expressing that  "we have confidence ... by the new and living way that he opened for us" [Hebrews 10:19-20] encourages us to "draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience ..." [Hebrews 10:22].  We are exhorted to "hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering" [Hebrews 10:23] and to "stir up one another to love and good works,... encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near." [Hebrews 10:25]

"It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God,"  Paul tells them.  We recall Jonah's experience and we know what is going to happen to our world will be “a fearful thing”!  The people of our world do not have a relationship with God as Jonah did, none at all in fact, nearly all do not even think he exists!  "Therefore," Paul tells those who have faith, "do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward.  For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised." [Hebrews 10:35-36] 

Sadly some appear to have "throw(n) away (their) confidence."  From a human perspective there is delay, but surely that is to make sure the final ingathering is completed.  Let us make sure we have the oil of genuine faith in our lamps - ready for when we hear the midnight cry, "Here is the bridegroom! Come out to meet him" [Matthew 25:6]
-------
- DC

#12 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 9,878 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:03 AM

03 December 2015

Job 3; 4
Jonah 4
Hebrews 10  

“IF HE SHRINKS BACK”

Hebrews 10 today is particularly thought provoking!  The writer is challenging his readers  (initially Jewish believers - which is why the letter is addressed ‘to the Hebrews) to maintain and even increase their faith, it is probable that Jerusalem and the Temple are about to be destroyed!  This is equally our Master’s appeal to us in these last days. In Hebrews 10:5-7 - Psalm 40 is quoted.  "Sacrifices and offerings you have not desired, but a body have you prepared for me" [Psalm 40:6] The "body" is obviously Christ.  

David foresaw this in his next words in this Psalm, which the author of Hebrews quotes, "in burnt offerings and sin offerings you have taken no pleasure.  Then I said, 'Behold, I have come to do your will, O God, as it is written of me in the scroll of the book.'" [Psalm 40:6-7] 

A key question for us is - in what does God take "pleasure" – especially these days?  The writer (Paul?) then quotes these words in Jeremiah.  

Now we saw in yesterday's chapter, Hebrews 8, "the Holy Spirit" inspired Jeremiah to prophecy, "this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my laws into their minds, and write them on their hearts, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. " [Hebrews 8:10]  Surely this will only be fulfilled in the age to come, and how close are we to that time now! 

Today's chapter reaches its climax - a climax which leads into tomorrow's familiar chapter - which begins with the words,  "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen."  But the words immediately before this; the end of today's chapter, are largely a quotation from Habakkuk 2:3-4." 'Yet a little while, and the coming one will come and will not delay;  but my righteous one shall live by faith, and if he shrinks back, my soul has no pleasure in him.'  But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls." [Hebrews 10:37-39]

May the Lord have "pleasure" in us - let us make sure it will not be said of us - "he (or she) shrinks back" - but we are “of those who have faith and (so) preserve (our) souls"
-------
- DC

#13 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 9,878 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:09 PM

03 December 2016

Job 3; 4
Jonah 4
Hebrews 10  

"YOU HAVE NEED OF …"

Is there anyone who thinks they do not need anything? With Christmas in 3 weeks’ time, the younger ones’ especially will think of the things they need and that it would be good to get!

Our readings today in Hebrews say, “For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised.” [Hebrews 10:36] Endurance!

We live in a world, at least in this country, that is very impatient. It is said, this is the ‘NOW’ generation. Until recently it was easy (and still is to some extent) to get what you want ‘NOW’ – and pay later. The folly of this attitude has become apparent in the problems some experience..

But the Letter to Hebrews also tells us, “do not throw away your confidence which has great reward” [Hebrews 10:35]. You throw or give away the things you do not need! But confidence!? If we have that – that is confidence in God’s oversight in all that has happened – and confidence in the future of which he also has oversight and can intervene as he chooses.

We saw lessons on this in our readings in Job and Jonah, both men had, at least temporarily, lost sight of the will of God in their lives: but if we have committed ourselves to be children of God and live for him in faith – we will keep seeking to see more clearly that God is in overall control, and then we will realize more of His purpose in the things he allows (or causes) to happen in the world and in our lives.

Look at how our Hebrews chapter ends; “my righteous one shall (aim to) live by faith, and if he shrinks back, my soul has no pleasure in him (or her). But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls.” [Hebrews 10:38-39]

This reminds us of the words of Jesus himself, “the one who endures to the end will be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.” [Matthew 24:13-14] It seems to be at last true that all nations have had the chance to hear the gospel, and we all have need of endurance - until the end - in this godless world, and how soon now?
-------
- DC

#14 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 9,878 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:39 AM

03 December 2017

Job 3; 4
Jonah 4
Hebrews 10

"... LET US DRAW NEAR WITH A TRUE HEART"

"A true heart" – we plucked out that phrase from our reading of Hebrews 10 with a question in our minds – who has a "true heart"? We are conscious that there are many passages in Scripture which emphasize the deceitfulness of the human heart, e.g., Jeremiah 17:9; Mark 7:21-22, etc.

We finished reading Jonah today and it illustrated the lack of merciful thought in his heart and how God tried to get him to see the situation from the divine perspective. Let us remember the teaching of Jesus on this: read Matthew 5:44-48. Of course, history shows that Nineveh's repentance did not last into the following generations, but that is not the point. When printing was first invented the Bible was the first book available for all to read – and how eagerly it was read – in the Seventeenth Century – but that spirit did not last.

In our reading in Hebrews 10 we see how the writer (we presume it was Paul) plucks out 2 quotations from Jeremiah to illustrate the mercy of God: "I will remember their sins and their lawless deeds no more" (from Jeremiah 31:33-34). It is essential we have the right reaction in our hearts to the mercies of God. We next read in Hebrews, "Therefore … since we have a great High Priest (Jesus) … let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith" [Hebrews 10:19,21,22].

Our hearts must now be "true" and constantly feeding on God's word, and developing a real relationship with our High Priest. As we properly absorb the divine word into our minds we will build up the full reality of that sense of "truth" in our relationship with God. This will lead us to "consider how to stir one another to love and good works" [Hebrews 10:24]. May our daily diligent reading of God's word help in stirring our hearts and minds to remain "true." As a result we will be busy "encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the day drawing near" [Hebrews 10:25].

Our chapter ends with a quotation from what God said to Habakkuk (which we will read next week), God told him "my righteous one(s) shall live by faith, (but) if he (or she) shrinks back, my soul has no pleasure in him (or her)." 

May we all be among "those who have faith and preserve their souls" which are the words which end the chapter – leading to the start of tomorrow's chapter and it's challenging description of real faith as "the assurance of things hoped for; the conviction of things not seen." Those who develop a "true heart" will also develop that "conviction."
-------
- DC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users