#1 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 10:42 AM

First Portion

1 Chronicles 27

27:1 Now the children of Israel after their number, the heads of fathers’ households and the captains of thousands and of hundreds, and their officers who served the king, in any matter of the divisions which came in and went out month by month throughout all the months of the year—of every division were twenty-four thousand. 27:2 Over the first division for the first month was Jashobeam the son of Zabdiel: and in his division were twenty-four thousand. 27:3 He was of the children of Perez, the chief of all the captains of the army for the first month. 27:4 Over the division of the second month was Dodai the Ahohite, and his division; and Mikloth the ruler: and in his division were twenty-four thousand. 27:5 The third captain of the army for the third month was Benaiah, the son of Jehoiada the priest, chief: and in his division were twenty-four thousand. 27:6 This is that Benaiah, who was the mighty man of the thirty, and over the thirty: and of his division was Ammizabad his son. 27:7 The fourth captain for the fourth month was Asahel the brother of Joab, and Zebadiah his son after him: and in his division were twenty-four thousand. 27:8 The fifth captain for this fifth month was Shamhuth the Izrahite: and in his division were twenty-four thousand. 27:9 The sixth captain for the sixth month was Ira the son of Ikkesh the Tekoite: and in his division were twenty-four thousand. 27:10 The seventh captain for the seventh month was Helez the Pelonite, of the children of Ephraim: and in his division were twenty-four thousand. 27:11 The eighth captain for the eighth month was Sibbecai the Hushathite, of the Zerahites: and in his division were twenty-four thousand. 27:12 The ninth captain for the ninth month was Abiezer the Anathothite, of the Benjamites: and in his division were twenty-four thousand. 27:13 The tenth captain for the tenth month was Maharai the Netophathite, of the Zerahites: and in his division were Twenty-four thousand. 27:14 The eleventh captain for the eleventh month was Benaiah the Pirathonite, of the children of Ephraim: and in his division were twenty-four thousand. 27:15 The twelfth captain for the twelfth month was Heldai the Netophathite, of Othniel: and in his division were twenty-four thousand. 27:16 Furthermore over the tribes of Israel: of the Reubenites was Eliezer the son of Zichri the ruler: of the Simeonites, Shephatiah the son of Maacah: 27:17 of Levi, Hashabiah the son of Kemuel: of Aaron, Zadok: 27:18 of Judah, Elihu, one of the brothers of David: of Issachar, Omri the son of Michael: 27:19 of Zebulun, Ishmaiah the son of Obadiah: of Naphtali, Jeremoth the son of Azriel: 27:20 of the children of Ephraim, Hoshea the son of Azaziah: of the half-tribe of Manasseh, Joel the son of Pedaiah: 27:21 of the half-tribe of Manasseh in Gilead, Iddo the son of Zechariah: of Benjamin, Jaasiel the son of Abner: 27:22 of Dan, Azarel the son of Jeroham. These were the captains of the tribes of Israel. 27:23 But David didn’t take the number of them from twenty years old and under, because Yahweh had said he would increase Israel like the stars of the sky. 27:24 Joab the son of Zeruiah began to number, but didn’t finish; and there came wrath for this on Israel; neither was the number put into the account in the chronicles of king David. 27:25 Over the king’s treasures was Azmaveth the son of Adiel: and over the treasures in the fields, in the cities, and in the villages, and in the towers, was Jonathan the son of Uzziah: 27:26 Over those who did the work of the field for tillage of the ground was Ezri the son of Chelub: 27:27 and over the vineyards was Shimei the Ramathite: and over the increase of the vineyards for the winecellars was Zabdi the Shiphmite: 27:28 and over the olive trees and the sycamore trees that were in the lowland was Baal Hanan the Gederite: and over the cellars of oil was Joash: 27:29 and over the herds that fed in Sharon was Shitrai the Sharonite: and over the herds that were in the valleys was Shaphat the son of Adlai: 27:30 and over the camels was Obil the Ishmaelite: and over the donkeys was Jehdeiah the Meronothite: and over the flocks was Jaziz the Hagrite. 27:31 All these were the rulers of the substance which was king David’s. 27:32 Also Jonathan, David’s uncle, was a counselor, a man of understanding, and a scribe: and Jehiel the son of Hachmoni was with the king’s sons: 27:33 Ahithophel was the king’s counselor: and Hushai the Archite was the king’s friend: 27:34 and after Ahithophel was Jehoiada the son of Benaiah, and Abiathar: and the captain of the king’s army was Joab.

#2 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 10:44 AM

Second Portion

Ezekiel 36

36:1 You, son of man, prophesy to the mountains of Israel, and say, You mountains of Israel, hear the word of Yahweh. 36:2 Thus says the Lord Yahweh: Because the enemy has said against you, Aha! and, The ancient high places are ours in possession; 36:3 therefore prophesy, and say, Thus says the Lord Yahweh: Because, even because they have made you desolate, and swallowed you up on every side, that you might be a possession to the residue of the nations, and you are taken up in the lips of talkers, and the evil report of the people; 36:4 therefore, you mountains of Israel, hear the word of the Lord Yahweh: Thus says the Lord Yahweh to the mountains and to the hills, to the watercourses and to the valleys, to the desolate wastes and to the cities that are forsaken, which are become a prey and derision to the residue of the nations that are all around; 36:5 therefore thus says the Lord Yahweh: Surely in the fire of my jealousy have I spoken against the residue of the nations, and against all Edom, that have appointed my land to themselves for a possession with the joy of all their heart, with despite of soul, to cast it out for a prey. 36:6 Therefore prophesy concerning the land of Israel, and tell the mountains and to the hills, to the watercourses and to the valleys, Thus says the Lord Yahweh: Behold, I have spoken in my jealousy and in my wrath, because you have borne the shame of the nations: 36:7 therefore thus says the Lord Yahweh: I have sworn, saying, Surely the nations that are around you, they shall bear their shame. 36:8 But you, mountains of Israel, you shall shoot forth your branches, and yield your fruit to my people Israel; for they are at hand to come. 36:9 For, behold, I am for you, and I will turn into you, and you shall be tilled and sown; 36:10 and I will multiply men on you, all the house of Israel, even all of it; and the cities shall be inhabited, and the waste places shall be built; 36:11 and I will multiply on you man and animal; and they shall increase and be fruitful; and I will cause you to be inhabited after your former estate, and will do better to you than at your beginnings: and you shall know that I am Yahweh. 36:12 Yes, I will cause men to walk on you, even my people Israel; and they shall possess you, and you shall be their inheritance, and you shall no more henceforth bereave them of children. 36:13 Thus says the Lord Yahweh: Because they say to you, You are a devourer of men, and have been a bereaver of your nation; 36:14 therefore you shall devour men no more, neither bereave your nation any more, says the Lord Yahweh; 36:15 neither will I let you hear any more the shame of the nations, neither shall you bear the reproach of the peoples any more, neither shall you cause your nation to stumble any more, says the Lord Yahweh. 36:16 Moreover the word of Yahweh came to me, saying, 36:17 Son of man, when the house of Israel lived in their own land, they defiled it by their way and by their doings: their way before me was as the uncleanness of a woman in her impurity. 36:18 Therefore I poured out my wrath on them for the blood which they had poured out on the land, and because they had defiled it with their idols; 36:19 and I scattered them among the nations, and they were dispersed through the countries: according to their way and according to their doings I judged them. 36:20 When they came to the nations, where they went, they profaned my holy name; in that men said of them, These are the people of Yahweh, and are gone forth out of his land. 36:21 But I had respect for my holy name, which the house of Israel had profaned among the nations, where they went. 36:22 Therefore tell the house of Israel, Thus says the Lord Yahweh: I don’t do this for your sake, house of Israel, but for my holy name, which you have profaned among the nations, where you went. 36:23 I will sanctify my great name, which has been profaned among the nations, which you have profaned in their midst; and the nations shall know that I am Yahweh, says the Lord Yahweh, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes. 36:24 For I will take you from among the nations, and gather you out of all the countries, and will bring you into your own land. 36:25 I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. 36:26 I will also give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you a heart of flesh. 36:27 I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and you shall keep my ordinances, and do them. 36:28 You shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and you shall be my people, and I will be your God. 36:29 I will save you from all your uncleanness: and I will call for the grain, and will multiply it, and lay no famine on you. 36:30 I will multiply the fruit of the tree, and the increase of the field, that you may receive no more the reproach of famine among the nations. 36:31 Then you shall remember your evil ways, and your doings that were not good; and you shall loathe yourselves in your own sight for your iniquities and for your abominations. 36:32 Nor for your sake do I this, says the Lord Yahweh, be it known to you: be ashamed and confounded for your ways, house of Israel. 36:33 Thus says the Lord Yahweh: In the day that I cleanse you from all your iniquities, I will cause the cities to be inhabited, and the waste places shall be built. 36:34 The land that was desolate shall be tilled, whereas it was a desolation in the sight of all who passed by. 36:35 They shall say, This land that was desolate has become like the garden of Eden; and the waste and desolate and ruined cities are fortified and inhabited. 36:36 Then the nations that are left around you shall know that I, Yahweh, have built the ruined places, and planted that which was desolate: I, Yahweh, have spoken it, and I will do it. 36:37 Thus says the Lord Yahweh: For this, moreover, will I be inquired of by the house of Israel, to do it for them: I will increase them with men like a flock. 36:38 As the flock for sacrifice, as the flock of Jerusalem in her appointed feasts, so shall the waste cities be filled with flocks of men; and they shall know that I am Yahweh.

#3 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 10:46 AM

Third Portion

John 1

1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 1:2 The same was in the beginning with God. 1:3 All things were made through him. Without him was not anything made that has been made. 1:4 In him was life, and the life was the light of men. 1:5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness hasn’t overcome it. 1:6 There came a man, sent from God, whose name was John.. 1:7 The same came as a witness, that he might testify about the light, that all might believe through him. 1:8 He was not the light, but was sent that he might testify about the light. 1:9 The true light that enlightens everyone was coming into the world.

1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made through him, and the world didn’t recognize him. 1:11 He came to his own, and those who were his own didn’t receive him. 1:12 But as many as received him, to them he gave the right to become God’s children, to those who believe in his name: 1:13 who were born not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. 1:14 The Word became flesh, and lived among us. We saw his glory, such glory as of the one and only Son of the Father, full of grace and truth. 1:15 John testified about him. He cried out, saying, “This was he of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me has surpassed me, for he was before me.’” 1:16 From his fullness we all received grace upon grace. 1:17 For the law was given through Moses. Grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ. 1:18 No one has seen God at any time. The one and only Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, he has declared him.

1:19 This is John’s testimony, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, “Who are you?”

1:20 He declared, and didn’t deny, but he declared, “I am not the Christ.”

1:21 They asked him, “What then? Are you Elijah?”

He said, “I am not.”

“Are you the prophet?”

He answered, “No.”

1:22 They said therefore to him, “Who are you? Give us an answer to take back to those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?”

1:23 He said, “I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness, ‘Make straight the way of the Lord,’* as Isaiah the prophet said.”

1:24 The ones who had been sent were from the Pharisees. 1:25 They asked him, “Why then do you baptize, if you are not the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the prophet?”

1:26 John answered them, “I baptize in water, but among you stands one whom you don’t know. 1:27 He is the one who comes after me, who is preferred before me, whose sandal strap I’m not worthy to loosen.” 1:28 These things were done in Bethany beyond the Jordan, where John was baptizing.

1:29 The next day, he saw Jesus coming to him, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! 1:30 This is he of whom I said, ‘After me comes a man who is preferred before me, for he was before me.’ 1:31 I didn’t know him, but for this reason I came baptizing in water: that he would be revealed to Israel.” 1:32 John testified, saying, “I have seen the Spirit descending like a dove out of heaven, and it remained on him. 1:33 I didn’t recognize him, but he who sent me to baptize in water, he said to me, ‘On whomever you will see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he who baptizes in the Holy Spirit.’ 1:34 I have seen, and have testified that this is the Son of God.”

1:35 Again, the next day, John was standing with two of his disciples, 1:36 and he looked at Jesus as he walked, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God!” 1:37 The two disciples heard him speak, and they followed Jesus. 1:38 Jesus turned, and saw them following, and said to them, “What are you looking for?”

They said to him, “Rabbi” (which is to say, being interpreted, Teacher), “where are you staying?”

1:39 He said to them, “Come, and see.”

They came and saw where he was staying, and they stayed with him that day. It was about the tenth hour. 1:40 One of the two who heard John, and followed him, was Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother. 1:41 He first found his own brother, Simon, and said to him, “We have found the Messiah!” (which is, being interpreted, Christ). 1:42 He brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him, and said, “You are Simon the son of Jonah. You shall be called Cephas” (which is by interpretation, Peter). 1:43 On the next day, he was determined to go out into Galilee, and he found Philip. Jesus said to him, “Follow me.” 1:44 Now Philip was from Bethsaida, of the city of Andrew and Peter. 1:45 Philip found Nathanael, and said to him, “We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, wrote: Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.”

1:46 Nathanael said to him, “Can any good thing come out of Nazareth?”

Philip said to him, “Come and see.”

1:47 Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him, and said about him, “Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom is no deceit!”

1:48 Nathanael said to him, “How do you know me?”

Jesus answered him, “Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you.”

1:49 Nathanael answered him, “Rabbi, you are the Son of God! You are King of Israel!”

1:50 Jesus answered him, “Because I told you, ‘I saw you underneath the fig tree,’ do you believe? You will see greater things than these!” 1:51 He said to him, “Most certainly, I tell you, hereafter you will see heaven opened, and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man.”

World English Bible - (WEB) - Public Domain

#4 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:11 PM

10 October 2008

1 Chronicles 27
Ezekiel 36
John 1

#5 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 01:10 AM

10 October 2009

1 Chronicles 27
Ezekiel 36
John 1

#6 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:08 AM

10 October 2010

1 Chronicles 27
Ezekiel 36
John 1

THE WORD

Today we started reading the Gospel of John. It is one of the most challenging books to understand. But the Bible would lose our continuing interest if its meaning was immediately plain as we read it. Often we have to carefully think about what we read. This is God’s wisdom in the way he has caused it to be written. It never fails to interest us, especially when we suddenly see new connections of thought as our knowledge of God’s word increases.

The problem is made greater in a few cases because translators may have a fixed idea in their minds as to the intent behind the words they are translating. John’s Gospel begins by using the word WORD. “In the beginning was the WORD” In the Greek this is the word logos. The lexicon (Vines) states it is “the expression of thought” - conception or idea, also a saying. In the way John uses it, sometimes it is translated as saying [eg John 4:47,49] in the context of Jesus speaking to his hearers. A primary meaning is a ‘spoken word’

This leads us to recall that Genesis 1 is all about what God said, words which resulted in life appearing on earth, God’s word was spoken and things happened “in the beginning”. All that the people heard in the wilderness was God speaking from the top of the mountain. God was known by his WORD, no one saw God he was known only by his voice.

The translators confuse us in John 1 when they start to use the word “Him” Earlier translators (Tyndale) used the word “it.” The best way to get the meaning is to use the noun instead of the pronoun. For example John 1:3 is better read as “All things were made through a word, and without a word was not anything made that was made” (Look at Isaiah 55:11)

But we can see a greater meaning here; a special spiritual meaning – that is, that the words of Jesus had the power to bring eternal life to those that accepted them. This would result in a new spiritual creation leading to a race of immortal spiritual beings when Jesus comes again. Read carefully John 1:12, “…to all who did receive him, who believed his name, he gave the right to become ‘children of God’” Those who believe in Jesus “receive him”! Which means? It means we think that he comes to dwell in the new believer and the full reality of this will be experienced when he returns. Read and think about John 14:23
-------
- DC

#7 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:32 AM

10 October 2011

1 Chronicles 27
Ezekiel 36
John 1

“IN THE BEGINNING WAS THE WORD”

Today we start to read the Gospel of John. “In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God.” This is a most challenging gospel to understand. But the Bible would lose our continuing interest if its meaning was immediately plain as we read it. Often we have to carefully think about what we have read, and compare other passages, before we grasp its full meaning. This is God’s wisdom in causing it to be written in this way.

The problem in this passage is made greater because the translators have had a fixed idea in their minds as to the Church doctrine – formulated in later centuries – which it is expected to support. Note the word “WORD”. “In the beginning was the WORD” In the Greek this is the word Logos. It is sometimes translated as saying [eg John 4:47,49] when Jesus was “saying” this and that to the people - the lexicon says it primarily means ‘spoken word’

Our thoughts went back to the first chapter in the whole Bible, Genesis 1. This is all about what God said to create life on earth. God spoke and creation followed as the hosts of angels did his bidding, see Psalms 103:20,21.

All that the people heard in the wilderness was God speaking from the top of the mountain. God was known only by his WORD; no one saw God he was known by his voice. Now the translators confuse us in John 1 when they start to use the word “Him” as the pronoun for ‘WORD. The earliest translations (Tyndale) use the word “it.” The best way is to use the noun instead of the pronoun, and then it would read. “All things were made through a word, and without a word was not anything made that was made” [John 1:3]

But there is a greater meaning here, a spiritual meaning – that is, that the words of Jesus had the power to bring eternal life to those that accepted them. The Jews [John 1:11] did not accept his words “But to all who did receive him, who believed his name, he gave the right to become ‘children of God’ [John 1:12] Let’s all aim to become children of God?
-------
- DC

#8 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:44 AM

10 October 2012

1 Chronicles 27
Ezekiel 36
John 1

"GREATER MEANING"

Today we started reading the Gospel of John. It is one of the most challenging books to understand. But the Bible would lose our continuing interest if its meaning was immediately plain as we read it. Often we have to carefully think about what we read. This is God’s wisdom in the way he has caused it to be written. It never fails to interest us, especially when we suddenly see new connections of thought as our knowledge of God’s word increases.

The problem is made greater in a few cases because translators may have a fixed idea in their minds as to the intent behind the words they are translating. John’s Gospel begins by using the word WORD. “In the beginning was the WORD” In the Greek this is the word logos. The lexicon (Vines) states it is “the expression of thought” - conception or idea, also a saying. In the way John uses it, sometimes it is translated as saying [eg John 4:47,49] in the context of Jesus speaking to his hearers. A primary meaning is a ‘spoken word’

This leads us to recall that Genesis 1 is all about what God said, words which resulted in life appearing on earth, God’s word was spoken and things happened “in the beginning”. All that the people heard in the wilderness was God speaking from the top of the mountain. God was known by his WORD, no one saw God he was known only by his voice.

The translators confuse us in John 1 when they start to use the word “Him” Earlier translators (Tyndale) used the word “it.” The best way to get the meaning is to use the noun instead of the pronoun. For example John 1:3 is better read as “All things were made through a word, and without a word was not anything made that was made” (Look at Isaiah 55:11)

But we can see a greater meaning here; a special spiritual meaning – that is, that the words of Jesus had the power to bring eternal life to those that accepted them. This would result in a new spiritual creation leading to a race of immortal spiritual beings when Jesus comes again. Read carefully John 1:12, “…to all who did receive him, who believed his name, he gave the right to become ‘children of God’” Those who believe in Jesus “receive him”! Which means? It means we think that he comes to dwell in the new believer and the full reality of this will be experienced when he returns. Read and think about John 14:23
-------
- DC

#9 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:28 AM

10 October 2013

1 Chronicles 27
Ezekiel 36
John 1

Today we start reading the Gospel of John, which is one of the most challenging books of the Bible to fully understand. But the Bible would soon lose our continuing interest if its meaning was immediately plain as we read it. Often we have to think carefully about what we read to get to unfold the fullness of its meaning. This is God’s wisdom in causing it to be written the way it is.

The problem is made greater in a few cases because the translators have had a fixed idea in their minds as to its meaning. John’s Gospel begins by using the word WORD. “In the beginning was the WORD” In the Greek this is the word logos. It is sometimes translated as saying [eg John 4:47,49] and the lexicon says it primarily means ‘spoken word’

Genesis 1 is all about what God said to create life on earth. Then under the leadership of Moses, all that the people heard in the wilderness was God’s ‘voice’ from the top of the mountain. God was known by his WORD, no one saw God he was ‘known’ to exist because of his voice and actions.

The translators confuse us in John 1 when they start to use the word “Him” as a pronoun for ‘Word.’ The earliest translations (Tyndale) use the word “it.” The best way to make sure we get the right understanding is to use the noun instead of the pronoun - then you read -. “All things were made through a word, and without a word was not anything made that was made” [John 1:3] This then fits in with the way God revealed himself to Moses and the people who came out of Egypt.

But there is a greater meaning to be found, a spiritual meaning ­ it is this: the words of Jesus had the power to bring eternal life to those that accepted them. The Jews [John 1:11] did not accept his words “But to all who did receive him, who believed his name, he gave the right to become ‘children of God’ [John 1:12]

Do we want to become children of God? Or just live and die as animal beings so that in the end we are no better than an animal? Very few had access to the written word in and after the time of Jesus, yet “in the beginning” when the gospel began to be preached and spread forth in the days of the apostles, the good news “the word” revealed was eagerly embraced ­ but today! How few are thrilled at words such as in Psalm 119 “Your word is a lamp unto my feet and a light to my path” [Psalm 119:105] May that be true of you.
-------
- DC

#10 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:40 AM

10 October 2014

1 Chronicles 27
Ezekiel 36
John 1 

“THE WORD BECAME FLESH”

Today we began reading the Gospel of John, the most remarkable and thought challenging of the four gospels.  John portrays in far more detail the picture of the person of our Lord and His Father’s purpose in him.  On the day of Pentecost, Peter told the crowd that Jesus was “delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God”  [Acts 2:23] 

John begins his gospel by telling us of this foreknowledge.  Before our Lord was born, he was "the word". How are we to understand "In the beginning was the Word"?  The LORD caused Isaiah to write [Isaiah 55:10,12], "as the rain and the snow come down from heaven and do not return there but water the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater,  so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it."  So the word “word” is personified – God planning to provide spiritual food through His Son – a parallel to causing natural food to grow.

We understand Jesus as "the word" that was in the mind of God from the beginning.  God spoke - and events followed.  When Jesus was born, as we read today, "the Word became flesh."   The Greek word for 'word' is logos, it has the foundation meaning of a 'spoken word' and is sometimes translated as "sayings" in the Gospels, especially in the A. V. [see Matthew 7:24,26,28] Take special note when you come to it in John 4:37,39. Recall how in Genesis 1 we read, “And God said” again and again.

The translators confuse us by using the pronoun 'he' for 'the word' in John's opening verses. It is most helpful to read from John 1:2 that "The word was in the beginning ... All things were made through a word ... in the word was life and the life was the light of men ..."  In John 3 we will read, “the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed. But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his works have been carried out in God." [John 3:19-21]

Jesus often uses phraseology that has a symbolic meaning, as is obvious in the foregoing.  What is also obvious today – is that people love darkness more than ever – and God’s Bible has become a forgotten book. We must do the opposite and love God’s word more than ever; may his word become flesh in us more and more - so our Lord will recognise us when he returns – and how soon will that be?.  
-------
- DC

#11 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 08:20 AM

10 October 2015

1 Chronicles 27
Ezekiel 36
John 1  

Today we start reading the Gospel of John, which is one of the more challenging books of the Bible to understand. But the Bible would soon lose our continuing interest if its meaning was immediately plain as we read it.  Often we have to carefully think about what we read to get to its real meaning.  This is God’s wisdom in causing it to be written the way it is. 

The problem is made greater in a few cases because the translators have had a fixed idea in their minds as to its meaning.   John’s Gospel begins by using the word ‘WORD’.  “In the beginning was the WORD”  In the Greek this is the word Logos. It is sometimes translated as saying (e.g. John 4:47,49) and the lexicon says it primarily means ‘spoken word’

Genesis 1 is all about what God said to create life on earth.  All that the people heard in the wilderness was God speaking from the top of the mountain.  God was known by his WORD, no one saw God he was only known by his voice.  

The translators confuse us in John 1 when they start to use the word “Him” The earliest translations (Tyndale) use the word “it.”  The best way is to use the noun instead of the pronoun. “All things were made through a word, and without a word was not anything made that was made” [John 1:3]  

But there is a greater meaning here, a spiritual meaning – that is, that the words of Jesus had the power to bring eternal life to those that accepted them and acted on them.  The Jews [John 1:11] did not accept his words “But to all who did receive him, who believed his name, he gave the right to become ‘children of God’ [John 1:12]  

Do we want to become children of God?   Or just live and die as animal beings so that in the end we are no better than other animals?  
-------
- DC

#12 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:11 PM

10 October 2016

1 Chronicles 27
Ezekiel 36
John 1  

“AND YOU SHALL BE MY PEOPLE”

Today’s chapter in Ezekiel [Ezekiel 36] is fascinating – and challenges our understanding. It is clear it has a ‘latter day’ application. But first, in Ezekiel 36:16-17 we read, “The word of the LORD came to me: ‘Son of man, when the house of Israel lived in their own land, they defiled it by their ways and their deeds.” (What is our world doing?)

But from Ezekiel 36:22 the prophet is caused to look into the distant future – our days. – How wonderful for those who know God’s word when they see his word, his promises, fulfilling! God says, “I will take you from the nations and gather you from all the countries and bring you into your own land.” [Ezekiel 36:24]

The next verse describes what we pray is about to happen “I will sprinkle clean water on you …. I will cleanse you. And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you….. You shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers, and you shall be my people, and I will be your God.” [Ezekiel 36:25,26,38]

So God utters his word – and it is a word that promises action. But divine action occurs within the divine time frame of action. How interesting was what we read earlier in Ezekiel. “For I am the LORD; I will speak the word that I will speak, and it will be performed. It will no longer be delayed …” [Ezekiel 12:25] And so God’s judgements condemning his people came to pass; Jerusalem was destroyed in the prophet’s lifetime! But later God gives Ezekiel a much longer range ‘picture’ of his actions with his nation.

Ezekiel is caused to ‘see’ God’s action - so that “I scattered them among the nations, and they were dispersed through the countries.” [Ezekiel 36:19] And this happened - in its’s greatest totality, after they rejected and crucified their Messiah. But, then, the prophet is caused took still further ahead – to our days! In Ezekiel 36:24 we read, “I will take you from the nations and gather you from all the countries and bring you into your own land.”

How long now to when the next verses are fulfilled? Surely the return of Christ, their Messiah will bring this about! They will see him “whom they have pierced” (see Zechariah 12:10; Revelation 1:7)

Finally, we read in Ezekiel, “You shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers, and you shall be my people, and I will be your God. And I will deliver you from all your uncleanness’s” [Ezekiel 36:28.39]. And we can also be God’s people, if we whole hearted believe his word and the word of his Son – and live accordingly.
-------
- DC

#13 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:31 AM

10 October 2017

1 Chronicles 27
Ezekiel 36
John 1 

"IN THE BEGINNING WAS THE WORD"

Today we start to read the Gospel of John. "In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God." This is a most challenging gospel to understand. But the Bible would lose our continuing interest if its meaning was immediately plain as we read it. Often we have to carefully think about what we have read, and compare other passages, before we grasp its full meaning. This is God's wisdom in causing it to be written in this way.

The problem in this passage is made greater because the translators have had a fixed idea in their minds as to the Church doctrine – formulated in later centuries – which it is expected to support. Note the word "WORD".  "In the beginning was the WORD." In the Greek this is the word Logos. It is sometimes translated as saying (e.g. John 4:47,49) when Jesus was "saying" this and that to the people - the lexicon says it primarily means "spoken word".

Our thoughts go back to the first chapter in the whole Bible, Genesis 1. This is all about what God said to create life on earth. God spoke - and creation followed as the hosts of angels did his bidding, see Psalm 103:20-21. 

All that the people heard in the wilderness was God speaking from the top of the mountain. God was known only by his WORD; no one saw God he was known by his voice. Now the translators confuse us in John 1 when they start to use the word 'Him' as the pronoun for 'WORD.' The earliest translations (Tyndale) use the word 'it.' 

The best way is to use the noun instead of the pronoun, then it would read. "All things were made through a word, and without a word was not anything made that was made" [John 1:3] and that is what happened in Creation.

But there is a greater meaning here, a spiritual meaning – that is, that the words of Jesus had the power to bring eternal life to those that genuinely accepted them in their hearts. The Jews [John 1:11] did not accept his words "But to all who did receive him, who believed his name, he gave the right to become children of God" [John 1:12] Let us all aim to become children of God? 
------- 
- DC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users