Most Liked Content

#438358 The Meaning of Verse

Posted by biblebulgaria on 06 August 2017 - 08:03 AM

Thanks for the detailed answer.

• Kay and Librarian like this

#436567 Trying to connect to Christadelphians!

Posted by Marynsh on 30 April 2016 - 02:57 PM

Thank you for being so helpful. :ok:

#435068 Nephilim

Posted by Mark Taunton on 23 February 2015 - 01:23 AM

PoiterM, a brief note regarding your OP...

The exact same Hebrew form for "the nephilim" that occurs in Genesis 6:4 and Numbers 13:33 occurs also in other places in the OT.  Anyone who claims that the Genesis & Numbers uses both refer to a specific group of people in Noah's time needs to explain those other uses also. In particular, two instances from the same era as Numbers 13, i.,e. Joshua's lifetime or just after, are pertinent:

• In Joshua 8:25 the same Hebrew form for "the nephilim" is translated by the KJV as "that fell" in "all that fell".  But manifestly, it does not refer to people living before the flood, rather it means the 12,000 inhabitants of Ai who perished by the sword at Israel's hand.
  • In Judges 20:46, the same form also occurs, again of people who died violently at that time. But notably, these were not people of the land of Canaan (such as those referred to by the 10 spies in Numbers 13) - they were Israelites, of the tribe of Benjamin.

In summary, from these instances it is clear that the word "nephilim" does not refer to any specific ethnic group. It rather refers to people who are "fallen", in some sense. So the claims some have made about Num 13 / Gen 6, regarding actual genetic descent, are unfounded and wrong.

Hoping that's helpful...

#432000 Trying to connect to Christadelphians!

Posted by Gazing@Stars on 23 February 2013 - 05:39 AM

Yes, I received an email contact from a brother in the ecclesia this evening. Thank you for making calls on my behalf, you are so kind.

Blessings!

Anson (Gazing at Stars)
  • Kay and firstthings1st like this

#429322 Is there a holy piece of Paper in the world?

Posted by Richie on 26 June 2012 - 04:18 PM

And one other thing:

All your base are belong to us.
  • nsr and DragnBreth like this

#429167 Is there a holy piece of Paper in the world?

Posted by Mark Taunton on 18 June 2012 - 04:37 PM

The word "holy" means special or set apart. The Bible is a special book. But there's nothing special about the paper it is printed on. What is special or holy about the Bible is the message it contains.

• Matt Smith and Richie like this

#428791 Antichrist

Posted by Matt Smith on 11 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

Pursuant to that point, perhaps you can answer to a prior post in which I asked another poster to list what Christian groups or denominations in the world today, deny that Jesus is the Son of God, or as claimed "reject the idea that Jesus .... died and rose from the dead." (perhaps as first century Gnostics did).

Any group or individual within christianity which claims Jesus is God.

Why don't you try answering this time rather than changing the subject. What billion Christians "reject the idea that Jesus .... died and rose from the dead."

Just because you don't like my answer doesn't mean I didn't answer it.

If Jesus is God it means he did not die (God cannot die) and if he did not die, he did not rise from the dead. So my answer remains the same: Any group or individual within christianity which claims Jesus is God.

So you make an excuse for falsely accusing that Christians "reject the idea that Jesus .... died and rose from the dead."

You accuse brethren on the basis of your apparent belief that God granted you the sole franchise on the truth of what the bible itself describes as a "mystery".

1Ti 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

My brothers and sisters in Christ are those who believe the same doctrines as the apostles:

Acts 2:42 - ...they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

Notice the order: doctrine first, then fellowship, breaking of bread and prayers.

All others are described as:
  • those who "went out from us"
  • "deceivers"
  • "apostate"
  • those who "obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ"
  • "antichrists"
  • "grievous wolves"
  • "men speaking perverse things"
  • "having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof"
  • "ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth"
  • "these also resist the truth"
  • "men of corrupt minds"
  • "reprobate concerning the faith"
  • "who hold the truth in unrighteousness"
  • "unrighteous"
  • "vain in their imaginations"
  • those who "do not obey the truth"
  • "false brethren"
So, yes, anyone who teaches things contrary to the apostles doctrines fits these descriptors. The good news is people are able to accept the truth, and change and become "heirs according to the promise".

As an aside on the phrase "mystery" as found in the Bible, if you read carefully you find that the context tells you that it is a revealed mystery, not one which is kept a mystery, especially to the believers.
  • DragnBreth and Richie like this

#427464 Why was Jesus born of a virgin? (If He was to be fully human as we)

Posted by Acomtha on 14 February 2012 - 03:31 AM

Adam and Eve didn't have human parents, and they were 100% human.
  • Librarian and arman like this

#60283 Faith And Works (James 2:14-23)

Posted by Evangelion on 07 January 2004 - 06:54 PM

They could be hippos! :eek:
  • firstthings1st likes this

#437050 Greetings Fellow Believers in the Lord

Posted by cgaviria on 10 October 2016 - 04:11 PM

Hello fellow believers in Jesus Christ,

I wanted to introduce myself, my name is Christian and I am new to this forum. I was pleased to find that many of your teachings align with many teachings I have come to know and understand in my own personal studies of scripture. I discovered your group by the word of someone I was debating against in another forum.

#434071 A Non Christadelphian reviewing the BASF.

Posted by CatKay on 04 May 2014 - 06:51 PM

Hi Kay, thank you for your post. :) 

I've read through it, and it seems to make sense.  I'll read through it again tomorrow and come back to you if I have any questions. :)

• Kay likes this

#433706 TFTD - February 2014

Posted by Librarian on 01 February 2014 - 05:08 AM

01 February 2014

"We are all subjected in our everyday lives to tests which will show if we will be loyal to Jesus under all circumstances. Persecutions may at some time be added to these. Tests of whatever kind are not pleasant but we must remember when undergoing them that our Lord has been tested, tempted in every way that we are. We serve a Master not only of infinite power but of infinite understanding."

- W.L. Bedwell
The Letters to the Seven Churches of Asia

#432273 The RCC During the Thousand years

Posted by nsr on 15 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

If we take the great harlot of the later chapters of Revelation to represent the RCC and her apostate daughters (and some don't), then there is no mention of it after Rev 16-18. My own view is that the church system actually gets destroyed by the secular world powers shortly after the return of Christ, because the RCC labels the newly returned Jesus as 'the Antichrist', and he responds by revealing to the world the full extent of all the atrocities the RCC and her daughters have committed over the centuries and justified in the name of Christ, and the secular world powers in disgust destroy her.

She isn't mentioned in the battle of Armageddon in Rev 19, which I see as being the last battle between the secular world forces and Christ before the 1000 years begins. The symbolic entity which brings about the rising up against Christ at the end of the 1000 years is the dragon, not the sea beast or earth beast or the harlot. This suggests to me that false Christianity will no longer exist in the 1000 years and the only opposition will be the simple serpent thinking of human nature not wanting to submit to God.
  • Jason likes this

#431883 The Brass Serpent

Posted by Kay on 01 February 2013 - 04:01 AM

fmissing

brother Cyril Tennant gave an explanation as such, which rather puts it in a "nut shell":

"Jesus used a very helpful type of himself: he said, “As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up” (John 3:14). The serpent—a type of sin from the beginning and particularly representative of Israel’s sin in the wilderness—was lifted upon a pole to display their wickedness. But the brass serpent itself had not bitten anybody; no guilt could attach to it in any way, other than through its representation of what had caused the problem. Those who looked upon it in recognition of their sin and in belief of God’s promise of healing were saved. This, said Jesus, represented his being lifted upon the cross."
  • Jason likes this

#431788 TFTD - January 2013

Posted by Librarian on 15 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

15 January 2013

"All the glory of the Kingdom, and the song of the Redeemed, has been made possible by his sacrifice, which we remember in the emblems of bread and wine. Listen to the mighty chorus:

"Thou art worthy for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation; and hast made us unto our God kings and priests, and we shall reign on the earth" (Revelation 5:9-10).

No man had been "found worthy", but he is worthy. And we owe everything to him. And if we find mercy at last to be allowed into his kingdom it will be in his worthiness and not our own."

- L.W. Richardson
Exhortation in Revelation (1981)

#430752 Young Earth Creation

Posted by nsr on 25 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

I wish discussion of this topic didn't always lead to spiteful name-calling and fighting about "my experts are better than your experts". Why does the spirit of Christ always go out the window when this topic arises?

One of the overarching themes of the Bible is this: we can be humble and let God teach us, or we can be arrogant and think we can figure it all out for ourselves. Adam and Eve chose the latter. Let's not follow their example.

Why do we have to insist on the importance of knowing absolutely everything about something God didn't think was important enough to tell us? Why can't we just trust God and get on with developing the spirit of Christ in our thinking and our lives?
  • Kay likes this

#430618 The absurdity of praying to the Lord Jesus but denying He is God

Posted by nsr on 20 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

Put it in this thread, then, instead of making a fuss. I'm getting a little tired of your petulant behaviour. Every single one of your arguments is nothing more than "Jesus does/has/receives/is called X, and so is God, therefore Jesus is God". You don't even realise that the issue isn't whether or not Jesus is omniscient now, the issue is whether or not that makes him God.

How do you know the "Lord" being prayed to in Acts 1:24 is Jesus? Let me guess: Jesus is "the one who knows the hearts" in Rev 2, so it must be him here as well? :rolleyes:
  • Matt Smith likes this

#430537 Matthew 28:18 - Christ is omnipotent (God)

Posted by Jesse2W on 17 August 2012 - 07:30 PM

The Father has power over His Anointed One.

Since Jesus is both subordinate to the Father and does not have authority over the Father like the Father has over Jesus, then Jesus is not the Almighty.

While it is true that Jesus was given all authority in heaven and earth, it is clear as Paul says, that the Father is not subject to the Son. The Father is excluded from Jesus' authority. I can't say the same for Jesus because there is no scripture that does. Jesus is therefore still under the Father's authority. God gave it and has the authority to take it away.

With regaurds to the false dichotomy. It is not a false dichotomy because you assume we are talking about who God is in Mathew 28:18. When we are talking about Jesus. You can't say authority means "power" here because it's talking about Jesus who is God and then say therefore Jesus is God because authority means power here.

Let's summarize:
1. Jesus doesn't have authority over the Father, but the Father is greater than all - with no exceptions found anywhere in the Bible.
2. Jesus doesn't have all "power" in the sense of his words turning into reality "let there be light." He has all authority which means he rules with God's power - not his own for he says "I can do nothing by myself."
  • nsr likes this

#429027 We Must Know 613 Laws From the Mitzvoh!

Posted by Richie on 08 June 2012 - 05:20 PM

I guess it's personal preference. But in answer to your comments, Craig, yes it is a privilege to know the law of God contained in the Bible and it is well worth the while to understand the principles therefrom, especially those highlighted in NT commentary on the OT. On the other hand we have to get the balance right because the NT also says the the things to do with Christ supersede the law and are based on pre-law principles.
  • Matt Smith likes this

#317937 31 January - Exodus 3; 4; Psalms 56; 57; Romans 9

Posted by Librarian on 31 January 2008 - 10:57 AM

First Portion

Exodus 3; 4

3:1 Now Moses was keeping the flock of Jethro, his father-in-law, the priest of Midian, and he led the flock to the back of the wilderness, and came to God's mountain, to Horeb. 3:2 The angel of Yahweh appeared to him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush. He looked, and behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed. 3:3 Moses said, "I will turn aside now, and see this great sight, why the bush is not burnt."

3:4 When Yahweh saw that he turned aside to see, God called to him out of the midst of the bush, and said, "Moses! Moses!"

He said, "Here I am."

3:5 He said, "Don't come close. Take your sandals off of your feet, for the place you are standing on is holy ground." 3:6 Moreover he said, "I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob."

Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look at God.

3:7 Yahweh said, "I have surely seen the affliction of my people who are in Egypt, and have heard their cry because of their taskmasters, for I know their sorrows. 3:8 I have come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians, and to bring them up out of that land to a good and large land, to a land flowing with milk and honey; to the place of the Canaanite, the Hittite, the Amorite, the Perizzite, the Hivite, and the Jebusite. 3:9 Now, behold, the cry of the children of Israel has come to me. Moreover I have seen the oppression with which the Egyptians oppress them. 3:10 Come now therefore, and I will send you to Pharaoh, that you may bring my people, the children of Israel, out of Egypt."

3:11 Moses said to God, "Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh, and that I should bring the children of Israel out of Egypt?"

3:12 He said, "Certainly I will be with you. This will be the token to you, that I have sent you: when you have brought the people out of Egypt, you shall serve God on this mountain."

3:13 Moses said to God, "Behold, when I come to the children of Israel, and tell them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you;' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' What should I tell them?"

3:14 God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM," and he said, "You shall tell the children of Israel this: 'I AM has sent me to you.'" 3:15 God said moreover to Moses, "You shall tell the children of Israel this, 'Yahweh, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.' This is my name forever, and this is my memorial to all generations. 3:16 Go, and gather the elders of Israel together, and tell them, 'Yahweh, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, of Isaac, and of Jacob, has appeared to me, saying, "I have surely visited you, and seen that which is done to you in Egypt; 3:17 and I have said, I will bring you up out of the affliction of Egypt to the land of the Canaanite, the Hittite, the Amorite, the Perizzite, the Hivite, and the Jebusite, to a land flowing with milk and honey."' 3:18 They will listen to your voice, and you shall come, you and the elders of Israel, to the king of Egypt, and you shall tell him, 'Yahweh, the God of the Hebrews, has met with us. Now please let us go three days' journey into the wilderness, that we may sacrifice to Yahweh, our God.' 3:19 I know that the king of Egypt won't give you permission to go, no, not by a mighty hand. 3:20 I will reach out my hand and strike Egypt with all my wonders which I will do in its midst, and after that he will let you go. 3:21 I will give this people favor in the sight of the Egyptians, and it will happen that when you go, you shall not go empty-handed. 3:22 But every woman shall ask of her neighbor, and of her who visits her house, jewels of silver, jewels of gold, and clothing; and you shall put them on your sons, and on your daughters. You shall plunder the Egyptians."