#1 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:04 AM

First Portion

2 Chronicles 7

7:1 Now when Solomon had made an end of praying, the fire came down from heaven, and consumed the burnt offering and the sacrifices; and the glory of Yahweh filled the house. 7:2 The priests could not enter into the house of Yahweh, because the glory of Yahweh filled Yahweh’s house. 7:3 All the children of Israel looked on, when the fire came down, and the glory of Yahweh was on the house; and they bowed themselves with their faces to the ground on the pavement, and worshiped, and gave thanks to Yahweh, saying,

“For he is good;
for his loving kindness endures for ever.”

7:4 Then the king and all the people offered sacrifice before Yahweh. 7:5 King Solomon offered a sacrifice of twenty-two thousand head of cattle, and a hundred and twenty thousand sheep. So the king and all the people dedicated the house of God. 7:6 The priests stood, according to their positions; the Levites also with instruments of music of Yahweh, which David the king had made to give thanks to Yahweh, when David praised by their ministry, saying “For his loving kindness endures for ever.” The priests sounded trumpets before them; and all Israel stood.
7:7 Moreover Solomon made the middle of the court holy that was before the house of Yahweh; for there he offered the burnt offerings, and the fat of the peace offerings, because the bronze altar which Solomon had made was not able to receive the burnt offering, and the meal offering, and the fat. 7:8 So Solomon held the feast at that time seven days, and all Israel with him, a very great assembly, from the entrance of Hamath to the brook of Egypt. 7:9 On the eighth day they held a solemn assembly: for they kept the dedication of the altar seven days, and the feast seven days. 7:10 On the three and twentieth day of the seventh month he sent the people away to their tents, joyful and glad of heart for the goodness that Yahweh had shown to David, and to Solomon, and to Israel his people. 7:11 Thus Solomon finished the house of Yahweh, and the king’s house: and he successfully completed all that came into Solomon’s heart to make in the house of Yahweh, and in his own house.

7:12 Yahweh appeared to Solomon by night, and said to him, “I have heard your prayer, and have chosen this place to myself for a house of sacrifice.

7:13 “If I shut up the sky so that there is no rain, or if I command the locust to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among my people; 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 7:15 Now my eyes shall be open, and my ears attentive, to the prayer that is made in this place. 7:16 For now have I chosen and made this house holy, that my name may be there forever; and my eyes and my heart shall be there perpetually.

7:17 “As for you, if you will walk before me as David your father walked, and do according to all that I have commanded you, and will keep my statutes and my ordinances; 7:18 then I will establish the throne of your kingdom, according as I covenanted with David your father, saying, ‘There shall not fail you a man to be ruler in Israel.’ 7:19 But if you turn away, and forsake my statutes and my commandments which I have set before you, and shall go and serve other gods, and worship them; 7:20 then I will pluck them up by the roots out of my land which I have given them; and this house, which I have made holy for my name, I will cast out of my sight, and I will make it a proverb and a byword among all peoples. 7:21 This house, which is so high, everyone who passes by it shall be astonished, and shall say, ‘Why has Yahweh done thus to this land, and to this house?’ 7:22 They shall answer, ‘Because they abandoned Yahweh, the God of their fathers, who brought them forth out of the land of Egypt, and took other gods, worshiped them, and served them. Therefore he has brought all this evil on them.’”

#2 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:05 AM

Second Portion

Ezekiel 42

42:1 Then he brought me forth into the outer court, the way toward the north: and he brought me into the room that was over against the separate place, and which was over against the building toward the north. 42:2 Before the length of one hundred cubits was the north door, and the breadth was fifty cubits. 42:3 Over against the twenty cubits which belonged to the inner court, and over against the pavement which belonged to the outer court, was gallery against gallery in the third story. 42:4 Before the rooms was a walk of ten cubits’ breadth inward, a way of one cubit; and their doors were toward the north. 42:5 Now the upper rooms were shorter; for the galleries took away from these, more than from the lower and the middle, in the building. 42:6 For they were in three stories, and they didn’t have pillars as the pillars of the courts: therefore the uppermost was straitened more than the lowest and the middle from the ground. 42:7 The wall that was outside by the side of the rooms, toward the outer court before the rooms, its length was fifty cubits. 42:8 For the length of the rooms that were in the outer court was fifty cubits: and behold, before the temple were one hundred cubits. 42:9 From under these rooms was the entry on the east side, as one goes into them from the outer court. 42:10 In the thickness of the wall of the court toward the east, before the separate place, and before the building, there were rooms. 42:11 The way before them was like the appearance of the way of the rooms which were toward the north; according to their length so was their breadth: and all their exits were both according to their fashions, and according to their doors. 42:12 According to the doors of the rooms that were toward the south was a door at the head of the way, even the way directly before the wall toward the east, as one enters into them. 42:13 Then he said to me, The north rooms and the south rooms, which are before the separate place, they are the holy rooms, where the priests who are near to Yahweh shall eat the most holy things: there shall they lay the most holy things, and the meal offering, and the sin offering, and the trespass offering; for the place is holy. 42:14 When the priests enter in, then shall they not go out of the holy place into the outer court, but there they shall lay their garments in which they minister; for they are holy: and they shall put on other garments, and shall approach to that which pertains to the people. 42:15 Now when he had made an end of measuring the inner house, he brought me forth by the way of the gate whose prospect is toward the east, and measured it all around. 42:16 He measured on the east side with the measuring reed five hundred reeds, with the measuring reed all around. 42:17 He measured on the north side five hundred reeds with the measuring reed all around. 42:18 He measured on the south side five hundred reeds with the measuring reed. 42:19 He turned about to the west side, and measured five hundred reeds with the measuring reed. 42:20 He measured it on the four sides: it had a wall around it, the length five hundred, and the breadth five hundred, to make a separation between that which was holy and that which was common.

#3 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:07 AM

Third Portion

John 8

8:1 but Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. 8:2 Now very early in the morning, he came again into the temple, and all the people came to him. He sat down, and taught them. 8:3 The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman taken in adultery. Having set her in the midst, 8:4 they told him, "Teacher, we found this woman in adultery, in the very act.. 8:5 Now in our law, Moses commanded us to stone such.* What then do you say about her?" 8:6 They said this testing him, that they might have something to accuse him of.

But Jesus stooped down, and wrote on the ground with his finger. 8:7 But when they continued asking him, he looked up and said to them, "He who is without sin among you, let him throw the first stone at her." 8:8 Again he stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground.

8:9 They, when they heard it, being convicted by their conscience, went out one by one, beginning from the oldest, even to the last. Jesus was left alone with the woman where she was, in the middle. 8:10 Jesus, standing up, saw her and said, "Woman, where are your accusers? Did no one condemn you?"

8:11 She said, "No one, Lord."

Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you. Go your way. From now on, sin no more."

8:12 Again, therefore, Jesus spoke to them, saying, "I am the light of the world.* He who follows me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life."

8:13 The Pharisees therefore said to him, "You testify about yourself. Your testimony is not valid."

8:14 Jesus answered them, "Even if I testify about myself, my testimony is true, for I know where I came from, and where I am going; but you don't know where I came from, or where I am going. 8:15 You judge according to the flesh. I judge no one. 8:16 Even if I do judge, my judgment is true, for I am not alone, but I am with the Father who sent me. 8:17 It's also written in your law that the testimony of two people is valid.* 8:18 I am one who testifies about myself, and the Father who sent me testifies about me."

8:19 They said therefore to him, "Where is your Father?"

Jesus answered, "You know neither me, nor my Father. If you knew me, you would know my Father also." 8:20 Jesus spoke these words in the treasury, as he taught in the temple. Yet no one arrested him, because his hour had not yet come. 8:21 Jesus said therefore again to them, "I am going away, and you will seek me, and you will die in your sins. Where I go, you can't come."

8:22 The Jews therefore said, "Will he kill himself, that he says, 'Where I am going, you can't come?'"

8:23 He said to them, "You are from beneath. I am from above. You are of this world. I am not of this world. 8:24 I said therefore to you that you will die in your sins; for unless you believe that I am he, you will die in your sins."

8:25 They said therefore to him, "Who are you?"

Jesus said to them, "Just what I have been saying to you from the beginning. 8:26 I have many things to speak and to judge concerning you. However he who sent me is true; and the things which I heard from him, these I say to the world."

8:27 They didn't understand that he spoke to them about the Father. 8:28 Jesus therefore said to them, "When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am he, and I do nothing of myself, but as my Father taught me, I say these things. 8:29 He who sent me is with me. The Father hasn't left me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to him."

8:30 As he spoke these things, many believed in him. 8:31 Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, "If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. 8:32 You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."*

8:33 They answered him, "We are Abraham's seed, and have never been in bondage to anyone. How do you say, 'You will be made free?'"

8:34 Jesus answered them, "Most certainly I tell you, everyone who commits sin is the bondservant of sin. 8:35 A bondservant doesn't live in the house forever. A son remains forever. 8:36 If therefore the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed. 8:37 I know that you are Abraham's seed, yet you seek to kill me, because my word finds no place in you. 8:38 I say the things which I have seen with my Father; and you also do the things which you have seen with your father."

8:39 They answered him, "Our father is Abraham."

Jesus said to them, "If you were Abraham's children, you would do the works of Abraham. 8:40 But now you seek to kill me, a man who has told you the truth, which I heard from God. Abraham didn't do this. 8:41 You do the works of your father."

They said to him, "We were not born of sexual immorality. We have one Father, God."

8:42 Therefore Jesus said to them, "If God were your father, you would love me, for I came out and have come from God. For I haven't come of myself, but he sent me. 8:43 Why don't you understand my speech? Because you can't hear my word. 8:44 You are of your father, the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and doesn't stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks on his own; for he is a liar, and its father. 8:45 But because I tell the truth, you don't believe me. 8:46 Which of you convicts me of sin? If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me? 8:47 He who is of God hears the words of God. For this cause you don't hear, because you are not of God."

8:48 Then the Jews answered him, "Don't we say well that you are a Samaritan, and have a demon?"

8:49 Jesus answered, "I don't have a demon, but I honor my Father, and you dishonor me. 8:50 But I don't seek my own glory. There is one who seeks and judges. 8:51 Most certainly, I tell you, if a person keeps my word, he will never see death."

8:52 Then the Jews said to him, "Now we know that you have a demon. Abraham died, and the prophets; and you say, 'If a man keeps my word, he will never taste of death.' 8:53 Are you greater than our father, Abraham, who died? The prophets died. Who do you make yourself out to be?"

8:54 Jesus answered, "If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say that he is our God. 8:55 You have not known him, but I know him. If I said, 'I don't know him,' I would be like you, a liar. But I know him, and keep his word. 8:56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day. He saw it, and was glad."

8:57 The Jews therefore said to him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?"

8:58 Jesus said to them, "Most certainly, I tell you, before Abraham came into existence, I AM."

8:59 Therefore they took up stones to throw at him, but Jesus was hidden, and went out of the temple, having gone through their midst, and so passed by.

World English Bible - (WEB) - Public Domain

#4 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:58 AM

16 October 2008

2 Chronicles 7
Ezekiel 42
John 8

#5 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:43 AM

16 October 2009

2 Chronicles 7
Ezekiel 42
John 8

#6 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:57 AM

16 October 2010

2 Chronicles 7
Ezekiel 42
John 8

"THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE"

Today’s long chapter [John 8] in John’s Gospel is most challenging. Jesus said, “Whoever is of God knows the words of God, the reason you do not hear them is that you are not of God” [John 8:47]. But of course they were hearing what he said, the point was that they could not make sense of his words, they could not see what he meant because their minds were so fixed in their way of thinking. Does not the same problem exist today?

There are some listening who are wanting to believe and understand what Jesus says and to them he says, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth and the truth will set you free” [John 8:32] This confuses them! Free from what? As descendents of Abraham, they say, we are not “enslaved to anyone, how is it that you say, ‘you will become free?’ ” [John 8:33]

Jesus then makes the point, “everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin … if the Son sets you free. You will be free indeed.” [John 8:36] Most of his listeners fail to get the point – and in the end the essential point is whether they are “of God” – or not. If they are “of God” they will listen and seek to understand the words of God. It maybe that some or many of his listeners would later hear Peter’s message on the day of Pentecost and who “were cut to the heart” [Acts 2:37] and were ready to receive the truth and be made free.

Their freedom was accomplished that day, they accepted “the truth” – and were baptised! They had heard Peter quote from the Psalms, “You have made known to me the paths of life; you will make me full of gladness with your presence” [Acts 2:28] There are the two paths – of life – or of death. All begin by walking on the path of death, but all have the opportunity to be set free from that path by seeing “the truth” that is revealed in God’s word, first through the men of God, the prophets of old – and later by Jesus and the apostles. And today? Well, all can read God’s word and search of what Jesus really meant and then decide whether to respond.
-------
- DC

#7 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:47 AM

16 October 2011

2 Chronicles 7
Ezekiel 42
John 8

"IF YOU ABIDE IN MY WORD YOU ARE …"

Jesus said, “Whoever is of God knows the words of God, the reason you do not hear them is that you are not of God” [John 8:47]. Of course they were hearing what he said. The point was they could not see what he meant because their minds were so fixed on their own way of thinking; in that sense, they were not hearing. Is it not the same today?

Thankfully there are some listening who are wanting to believe and understand what Jesus says. To them he says, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth and the truth will set you free” [John 8:32]. This confuses them! Free from what? As descendents of Abraham, they say, we are not “enslaved to anyone, how is it that you say, ‘you will become free?’ ” [John 8:33]

Jesus then makes the point, “everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin … if the Son sets you free. You will be free indeed.” [John 8:36] Most of his listeners fail to get the point – and in the end the essential point is whether they are “of God” – or not. If they are “of God” they will listen and develop an understanding of his words. It maybe that some or many who listened would later hear Peter’s message on the day of Pentecost and who would abide (live)I with his words in their hearts because they “were cut to the heart” [Acts 2:37] on is that day.

Their freedom was accomplished, they were honest with themselves, they accepted “the truth” – and were baptised! They heard Peter quote the Psalms, “You have made known to me the paths of life; you will make me full of gladness with your presence” [Acts 2:28] There are the two paths – of life – or of death. All begin by walking on the path of death, but all have the opportunity to be set free from that path by seeing “the truth” that is revealed in God’s word, first through the men of God, the prophets of old – and later by Jesus and the apostles. And today? Well, all can read God’s word and develop an understanding of what Jesus really meant and then decide which path they wish to walk on – there is no third way.
-------
- DC

#8 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:27 AM

16 October 2012

2 Chronicles 7
Ezekiel 42
John 8

"OF GOD"

Today’s long chapter [John 8] in John’s Gospel is most challenging. Jesus said, “Whoever is of God knows the words of God, the reason you do not hear them is that you are not of God” [John 8:47]. But of course they were hearing what he said, the point was that they could not make sense of his words, they could not see what he meant because their minds were so fixed in their way of thinking. Does not the same problem exist today?

There are some listening who are wanting to believe and understand what Jesus says and to them he says, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth and the truth will set you free” [John 8:32] This confuses them! Free from what? As descendents of Abraham, they say, we are not “enslaved to anyone, how is it that you say, ‘you will become free?’” [John 8:33]

Jesus then makes the point, “everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin … if the Son sets you free. You will be free indeed.” [John 8:36] Most of his listeners fail to get the point ­ and in the end the essential point is whether they are “of God” ­ or not. If they are “of God” they will listen and seek to understand the words of God. It maybe that some or many of his listeners would later hear Peter’s message on the day of Pentecost and who “were cut to the heart” [Acts 2:37] and were ready to receive the truth and be made free.

Their freedom was accomplished that day, they accepted “the truth” ­ and were baptised! They had heard Peter quote from the Psalms, “You have made known to me the paths of life; you will make me full of gladness with your presence” [Acts 2:28] There are the two paths ­ of life ­ or of death. All begin by walking on the path of death, but all have the opportunity to be set free from that path by seeing “the truth” that is revealed in God’s word, first through the men of God, the prophets of old ­ and later by Jesus and the apostles. And today? Well, all can read God’s word and search of what Jesus really meant and then decide whether to respond.
-------
- DC

#9 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:11 AM

16 October 2013

2 Chronicles 7
Ezekiel 42
John 8

Today’s long chapter [John 8] in John’s Gospel is really challenging. Jesus said, “Whoever is of God knows the words of God, the reason you do not hear them is that you are not of God” [John 8:47]. But of course they were hearing what he said; the point was that they could not make sense of his words, they could not see what he meant because their minds were so fixed in their own way of thinking. The same problem exists today!

There are some listening to Jesus who are wanting to believe and understand his words and to them Jesus says, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth and the truth will set you free” [John 8:32] This confuses them! Free from what? As descendants of Abraham, they say, we are not “enslaved to anyone, how is it that you say, ‘you will become free?’ ” [John 8:33]

Jesus then makes the point, “everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin … if the Son sets you free you will be free indeed.” [John 8:36] Most of his listeners fail to get the point – and in the end the essential point is whether they are “of God” – or not. If they are “of God” they will continue to listen and develop an understanding.

It is likely that many of these listeners would later hear Peter’s message on the day of Pentecost and “were cut to the heart” [Acts 2:37] and ready to receive and understand the true meaning of Christ’s words and be made free – a freedom accomplished through seeing what the sacrifice on the cross meant, it brought to a completion the purpose of the Law, the “letter” of which had enslaved them. (to more fully ‘see’ the point read 2 Corinthians 3:6-16) Paul, the converted Pharisee puts it succinctly, “the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ” [Romans 8:2]

On the day of Pentecost the freedom of the hearers was completed the moment they accepted the true meaning of Peter’s message – and were baptised! As a result “when Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory” [Colossians 3:4]

They had heard Peter quote from the Psalms, “You have made known to me the paths of life; you will make me full of gladness with your presence” [Acts 2:28] We can link this with the words of Solomon we have just read in his dedication of the Temple, his intense awareness of the all seeing eye of God and the future. Let us commit ourselves to inviting the words of Jesus and his Father to abide in us and direct our lives – then we will be set free indeed!
-------
- DC

#10 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:43 AM

16 October 2014

2 Chronicles 7
Ezekiel 42
John 8  

Today’s long chapter (8) in John’s Gospel is most challenging.  Jesus said, “Whoever is of God knows the words of God, the reason you do not hear them is that you are not of God” [John 8:47].  But of course they were hearing what he said, the point was that they could not make sense of his words. They could not “hear” what he meant because their minds were so fixed in their own way of thinking.  The same problem exists today! 

There were some listening who wanted to believe and understand what Jesus was talking about and to them he says, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth and the truth will set you free” [John 8:32]  This confuses them!  Free from what?  As descendants of Abraham, they say, we are not “enslaved to anyone, how is it that you say, ‘you will become free?’” [John 8:33]

Jesus then makes the point, “everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin … if the Son sets you free. You will be free indeed.” [John 8:36]   Most of his listeners fail to get the point – and in the end the essential point is whether they are “of God” – or not. If they are “of God” they will listen and seek to understand the words of God.  It maybe that some or many of his listeners would later hear Peter’s message on the day of Pentecost being among those who “were cut to the heart” [Acts 2:37] and were ready to receive the truth and be made free. 

Their freedom was accomplished the day they accepted “the truth” – and ‘saw’ his meaning and were baptised!  They had heard Peter quote from the Psalms, “You have made known to me the paths of life; you will make me full of gladness with your presence” [Acts 2:28]  What will it be like to be in the divine presence? We sought to “see” this yesterday!  Remember Solomon’s attempts at a vision of the eternal and eternity!

There are the two paths – of life – or of death.  All begin by walking on the path of death, but all have the opportunity to be set free from that path by seeing “the truth” that is revealed in God’s word, first through the men of God, the prophets of old – and later by Jesus and the apostles.  And today? Well, all can read God’s word and search out what Jesus really meant and then decide whether to walk on the path of life with the wonder of eternal life in the kingdom awaiting them. 
-------
- DC

#11 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 06:51 AM

16 October 2015

2 Chronicles 7
Ezekiel 42
John 8 

Today’s long chapter in John’s Gospel [John 8] is most challenging.  Jesus said, “Whoever is of God knows the words of God, the reason you do not hear them is that you are not of God” [John 8:47].  Of course they were hearing what he said, the point was that they could not make sense of his words, they could not see what he meant because their minds were so fixed in their legalistic way of thinking.  Does not the same problem exist today? 

There were some listening who did want to believe and understand what Jesus said. To them he says, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth and the truth will set you free” [John 8:32]  This confuses them!  Free from what?  As descendants of Abraham, they say, we are not “enslaved to anyone, how is it that you say, ‘you will become free?’ ” [John 8:33]

Jesus then makes the point, “everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin … if the Son sets you free. You will be free indeed.” [John 8:36] Most of his listeners fail to get the point.  The essential point is whether they are “of God” – or not. If they are “of God” they will listen and seek to understand the words of God. It is clear to us – what the essential point is!

It could be that some, or many, of his listeners would later hear Peter’s message on the day of Pentecost [Acts 2] and were among those who “were cut to the heart” [Acts 2:37] and were ready to receive the truth and be made free. 

Their freedom was accomplished that day, when they accepted “the truth” – and were baptised!  They had heard Peter quote from the Psalms, “You have made known to me the paths of life; you will make me full of gladness with your presence” [Acts 2:28] There are just two paths – of life – or of death.  All begin by walking on the path of death, but all have the opportunity to be set free from that path by seeing “the truth” that is revealed in God’s word, first through the men of God, the prophets of old – and later by Jesus and the apostles. The situation is just the same today. 

All can read God’s word and search out what Jesus really meant, illustrated by the inspired words and writings of the apostles after he ascended to heaven. The challenge then is to decide whether to respond! Those who want the ‘freedom’ to enjoy the lively paths this world offers see no value in “the truth.” It all depends on whether we have a clear vision of “the truth” that “will set you (us) free.”  
-------
- DC

#12 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 02:48 AM

16 October 2016

2 Chronicles 7
Ezekiel 42
John 8  

Today’s long chapter [John 8] in John’s Gospel is most challenging. Jesus said, “Whoever is of God knows the words of God, the reason you do not hear them is that you are not of God” [John 8:47]. But of course they were hearing what he said; the point was that they could not make sense of his words. They could not see what he meant because their minds were so fixed in their way of thinking. Does not the same problem exist today?

There are some listening who are wanting to believe and understand what Jesus says and to them he says, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth and the truth will set you free” [John 8:32]. They are confused! As descendants of Abraham, they say, we are not “enslaved to anyone, how is it that you say, ‘you will become free?’” [John 8:33]

Jesus then makes the point, “everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin … if the Son sets you free. You will be free indeed.” [John 8:36] Most of his listeners fail to get the point – and in the end the essential point is whether they are “of God” – or not. If they are “of God” they will listen and seek to understand the words of God. It maybe that some or many of his listeners would later hear Peter’s message on the day of Pentecost and who “were cut to the heart” [Acts 2:37] and were ready to receive the truth and be made free.

Their freedom was accomplished the day, they accepted “the truth” – and were baptised! They had heard Peter quote from the Psalms, “You have made known to me the paths of life; you will make me full of gladness with your presence” [Acts 2:28]

There are the two paths – of life – or of death. All begin by walking on the path of death, but all have the opportunity to be set free from that path by seeing “the truth” that is revealed in God’s word, first through the men of God, the prophets of old – and later by Jesus and the apostles. What is the situation today? Well, all can read God’s word and search of what Jesus really meant and then decide whether to respond and be “set … free.”.
-------
- DC

#13 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:57 AM

16 October 2017

2 Chronicles 7
Ezekiel 42
John 8  

"IF YOU ABIDE IN MY WORD YOU ARE …"

Jesus said, "Whoever is of God knows the words of God, the reason you do not hear them is that you are not of God" [John 8:47]. Of course they were hearing what he said. The point was they could not see what he meant because their minds were so fixed on their own way of thinking; in that sense, they were not hearing.  Is it not the same today? 

Thankfully some listen who do want to believe and understand what Jesus says. To them he says, "If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth and the truth will set you free" [John 8:32].  

This confuses them! Free from what? As descendants of Abraham, they say, we are not "slaved to anyone, how is it that you say,  'you will become free?'" [John 8:33]

Jesus then makes the point, "everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin … if the Son sets you free. You will be free indeed." [John 8:36] Most of his listeners fail to get the point – and in the end the essential point is whether they are "of God" – or not. If they are "of God" they will listen (and today, read) and develop an understanding of his words.  

It maybe that some or many who listened would later hear Peter's message on the day of Pentecost and who would abide (live) with his words in their hearts because they "were cut to the heart" [Acts 2:37] on is that day.

Their freedom was accomplished, they were honest with themselves, they accepted "the truth" – and were baptised! They heard Peter quote the Psalms, "You have made known to me the paths of life; you will make me full of gladness with your presence" [Acts 2:28] There are the two paths – of life – or of death. All begin by walking on the he path of death, but all have the opportunity to be set free from that path by seeing "the truth" that is revealed in God's word, first through the men of God, the prophets of old – and later by Jesus and the apostles. 

And today? Well, all can read God's word and develop an understanding of what Jesus really meant and learn, in their hearts how to "abide in my word" and then be truly walking on the path of life. Wonderful – for there is no third way. 
-------
- DC

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users