10 replies to this topic

#1 Jesse2W

Jesse2W

Lambda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:13 AM

I am just floored by John Thomas. I haven't really read his work, but as I study early church history and reformation history I am just floored that he was able to find the Truth in the midst of all the leaders who lied about being prophets and in the midst of all the people slandering him and threatening him as I'm sure there was. He stood apart. When I was first investigating this group it bothered me that there was a single founder and Roberts, but now I just impressed with them. I wonder if anyone would have found the truth - I mean there are groups that are close enough in my estimation such as some of the Church of Christ's, some SDA's and the INC's, but none have such a coherent theology like the Christadelphians. I mean really - how in the world did Thomas figure it out?

#2 Mark Taunton

Mark Taunton

Rho

• Christadelphian Armoury
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:12 AM

He read his Bible a lot. And seriously, determined to understand what it actually says and means.

But there was nothing different or special about John Thomas, other than that attitude to the Bible, which is rare. He made no claim to be special, indeed he actively denied it.

As he said himself, anyone who does the same as he did should reach the same conclusions. That's because the Bible is God's word. And God has sent his word into the world so it can accomplish his purpose, which is to create people who will please him by faith. His word is where the power lies: if we read it and take it into our hearts, believing it, it will take root in us and change us, bringing us to God and effecting our salvation.

#3 Jeremy

Jeremy

Order of the Golden Pedant

• Christadelphian Armoury
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:48 AM

I think Mark has given the only reasonable answer. For me, that doesn't answer how many other people can read the Bible just as much and just as seriously and still think differently, but it's worth remembering that some have done just what JT did, independently of any input from Christadelphians, and reached the same conclusions.
And, behold, I am with thee, and will keep thee in all places whither thou goest, and will bring thee again into this land; for I will not leave thee, until I have done that which I have spoken to thee of.

#4 Jesse2W

Jesse2W

Lambda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:06 AM

I think Mark has given the only reasonable answer. For me, that doesn't answer how many other people can read the Bible just as much and just as seriously and still think differently, but it's worth remembering that some have done just what JT did, independently of any input from Christadelphians, and reached the same conclusions.

Really? I mean I know separately the doctrines were arrived at, but putting the doctrines together was, I thought, uniquely Christadelphia. I mean what other groups arrived at conditional immortality, limited resurrection, conception Christology, no personal demons, no fallen heavenly angels, no personal spirit being named Satan and pre-mellinialism to top it off?

#5 Evangelion

Evangelion

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 22,352 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:05 PM

Really? I mean I know separately the doctrines were arrived at, but putting the doctrines together was, I thought, uniquely Christadelphia. I mean what other groups arrived at conditional immortality, limited resurrection, conception Christology, no personal demons, no fallen heavenly angels, no personal spirit being named Satan and pre-mellinialism to top it off?

This article may help.

As far as I can tell, Isaac Newton held the same views as Christadelphians.

Edited by Evangelion, 23 October 2011 - 05:05 PM.

In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas
Imago
Credo

#6 Jesse2W

Jesse2W

Lambda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:22 PM

I thought Issac Newton believed the Son was eternal, but not God Himself?

#7 Evangelion

Evangelion

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 22,352 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:40 AM

I thought Issac Newton believed the Son was eternal, but not God Himself?

Where does Newton say this? His personal library contained at least eight Socinian works which he consulted regularly, along with the Rachovian Catechism (a Socinian creedal statement). This does not reflect an Arian preference.
Imago
Credo

#8 Jesse2W

Jesse2W

Lambda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:33 AM

I don't know... I just read stuff that said he was... Have you read all his works?

#9 Richie

Richie

Chi

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:59 PM

I met several individuals who did this while on mission work.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett.

#10 Evangelion

Evangelion

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 22,352 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:07 PM

I don't know... I just read stuff that said he was... Have you read all his works?

No I haven't. Nobody has, because not all of them have survived and I'm not even sure if all of those which survived have been released.

Having said that, I've encountered other people who believe the same as Christadelphians.
Imago
Credo

#11 Jesse2W

Jesse2W

Lambda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:27 PM

Well, I guess people would have arrived at the truth sooner or later.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users