51 replies to this topic

#31 luke

luke

Tau

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 10:50 PM

I've tried using E-Sword and found it nasty. Online Bible is waaaaay better.

Pfffft!

The strong numbers in E-sword aren't always right. Luke and I found 2 wrong ones last week.

:clap2:

then it is your duty to advise the e-sword guys so they can repair the damage and create a patch!

I let the guy know, and it'd already been fixed: there was a new update for the program, so everything should be good now.

#32 Flappie

Flappie

Psi

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,730 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 01:58 PM

:P

Just noticed an analytical LXX translation, it has strong numbers :clap2: Shame you can't search using them, because they're footnotes :?:

Hmmm

Maybe everyone knew this, but thought I'd post it anyway.

In the LXXM (Analytic Septuagint) in OLB, you can search using the Strong Numbers, but you'll have to do the following:

Open an LXXM page.
Turn off footnotes if they're on.
Use the menu (not rightmouse) view and then footnotes to turn them on.
Use search with the strong numbers, and it'll come up with the verses.

Bit silly, but otherwise the search will be empty.
"I am Flappicus!"
"The first condition of immortality is death."
Broeders in Christus

#33 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 02:03 PM

Which LXX?

Pretty sure it's Brenton's. :clap2:

I have Douay with my version of OLB. What use is it?

It's a significant Catholic version. Significant historically and doctrinally.
Miserere mei Deus,
Secundum magnam misericordiam tuam.
Et secundum multitudinem miserationum tuarum
dele iniquitatem meam.

Wesley answered “Thank you, sir. Your letter was superfluous, however, as I already knew the Lord has no need for my ‘book-learning,’ as you put it. However—although the Lord has not directed me to say so—on my own responsibility I would like to say to you that the Lord does not need your ignorance, either.”

Osborne & Woodward, ‘Handbook for Bible study’, pp. 13-14 (1979)

#34 DonalGraeme

DonalGraeme

Pi

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 07:20 PM

Hi all

Most of the Windows suggestions I've seen so far are free versions. I use a non-free version ... Libronix Digital Library System (LDLS). LDLS is not cheap, and the machine it runs on needs some grunt. What I like about it though is the WIDE selection of resources available for it. You can find out information about it here:-

http://www.logos.com/

Also, check out what they have on prepub right now, and salivate:-

http://www.logos.com/prepub

Mike
I am a Christadelphian. Click here to see my confession of faith.

Prov 18:13 - "He who answers before listening - that is his folly and shame."
Jas 1:19-20 - "My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man’s anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires."

#35 Holysay

Holysay

Lambda

• Christadelphian
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 09:24 AM

Anyone tried Ilumina Gold? It's the world's first digital animated Bible and Encyclopedia software for Mac and Window. I love the software and its cheap! Go here for more info.

#36 TrevorL

TrevorL

Lambda

• Christadelphian
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 09:42 AM

Howdy Mike ("DonalGraeme") and others,

Greetings. Mike wrote:

"I use a non-free version ... Libronix Digital Library System (LDLS). LDLS is not cheap"

Although this has been covered elsewhere, LDLS also runs the Christadelphian Magazine Cd-roms and the new Christadelphian Works version 2 in conjunction with any Libronix files from Logos Library Systems or Nelson. As far as price is concerned a few useful reference works (eg Vines OT & NT, New Treasury Scriptural Knowledge each with theological bias) and other translations can be purchased in a package "The Ulimate Bible Reference Library" by Nelson for $50 (AUS). There are about 115 books on this Nelson Cd-rom, but some are of little value.

Kind regards
Trevor

#37 DonalGraeme

DonalGraeme

Pi

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 09:01 PM

Trevor

The important thing to note about using old LLS resources in LDLS is that not all of the new search functions work in them. That means that you can think you've done a comprehensive and complex search, and actually missed matches that exist in your old books.

This is why it's worth getting LDLS versions of LLS books if possible.

Mike aka DonalGraeme

P.S. My login name is DonalGraeme, but I sign my real name

P.P.S For extra credit, who knows where DonalGraeme comes from, and two alternative names for him?

Jas 1:19-20 - "My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man’s anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires."

#38 Tarkus

Tarkus

Sigma

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 09:58 PM

P.P.S For extra credit, who knows where DonalGraeme comes from, and two alternative names for him?

I do.

PS Oh, do I have to explain?
fiercely independent, exemplary warrior...
aka Hal Mayne and/or Paul Formain...

#39 DonalGraeme

DonalGraeme

Pi

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 11:55 PM

Well done Tarkus. It's one of my favorite series of military SciFi. My avatar is off the cover of one of the books ... "Other" I think.

Mike

#40 DonalGraeme

DonalGraeme

Pi

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 01:48 PM

For those who use Logos or Libronix, go view this post in Bob Pritchett's blog:-

http://bobpritchett..../posts/208.aspx

Tech support there may be slow for a bit.

(Bob is the owner of Logos/Libronix.)

#41 aBluya

aBluya

Alpha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 05:31 AM

I want to get a bible software program, but thought i had to choose from the kind you order from sources like "Christianbook.com" or some other ordering service.

What the difference in buying a tangable Bible software program(that comes in a box) and one you download?

Does the download one take up more space?

basically what are the upsides and downsides to these two formats, or are there any.

sorry if these are really simple questions, i'm not too "hip" with computer stuff.

#42 Flappie

Flappie

Psi

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,730 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 11:23 AM

I want to get a bible software program, but thought i had to choose from the kind you order from sources like "Christianbook.com" or some other ordering service.

What the difference in buying a tangable Bible software program(that comes in a box) and one you download?

Does the download one take up more space?

basically what are the upsides and downsides to these two formats, or are there any.

sorry if these are really simple questions, i'm not too "hip" with computer stuff.

Erm

In theory there is no difference between download and boxed sets.

There are loads of Bible study programs, some are for download, some for erm, sale, some both.

Download is usually free, but doesn't necessarily mean it's lesser quality, the main difference is the copyrighted material. Everything written in the last 50 years has copyright, and can't just be made available for free download.

Most Bible programs come with a few translations, and almost all of them have the KJV, because the copyright is no longer valid, and thus free, the NIV on the other hand is still copyrighted, and not free. Same goes for the Interlinear Greek New Testament (free) and the latest NT by Nestle-Aland (copyrighted). That doesn't just go for translations, but also commentaries and the like.

With the cd's you order, you're more likely to get some copyrighted material, you won't get that when you download things.

The better Study programs are the ones you get in a box, but that doesn't mean that all the ones you buy in a box are better. I hope that makes sense. It really depends on the program.

The Logos Bible Study things are very good, but expensive. E-sword is free, and hasn't got many modules (translation, commentaries, etc). Online Bible is both for sale in a box and for download, they are the same quality, but the one on cd has copyrighted modules on them.

If you have enough money, get the Logos ones. If you want something easy and free get E-sword. If you're interested in lots of old translations/commentaries and don't want to pay much, get Online Bible, but you'll have to download and install most of the modules seperately.
"I am Flappicus!"
"The first condition of immortality is death."
Broeders in Christus

#43 aBluya

aBluya

Alpha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 03:49 PM

but doesn't dloading take up a bunch of space? Whereas if i got a CD it would just run off the disc and not bog down my computer no?

I'm specifically looking for software that specializes in Hebrew/Greek/Aramaic. Also historic aspects, and language study. and i prefer NASB, unless i find a better translation.

#44 marcusampe

marcusampe

Beta

• Christadelphian
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 09:40 AM

I think it's just personal preference and what you're used to. And my personal preference is right.  :gagged:

Seriously thought I just found what I use a computer Bible for - looking up for occurrences of words - simpler in OLB than E-Sword. Don't use it for anything else.

Please explain how you do this :smited:

I personally also use most often the subscription version of OLB in which it is much easier to create your own books and to place other modules.

At the moment its the only thing I use e-sword for :gagged:
e-Word has other Bibles for free and is much easier to make your own Concordance which I do in this programme.

I use OLB for everything else, but when I want to find all occurences of a particular word I search e-sword for the strong's number (which appears in the text next to the word) to get all verses with that strongs number in it. If there's a simple way to do it in OLB I want to hear about it!! :rofl1:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To find the Strong numbers next to the words in the texts you have to indicate your preference. go to "Beeld" (>Picture<) Click on "Strongs". Or you have certain versions which you always can get open with the Strong numbers and chose them as interlinear version. (Chose F9 or Modules Interlinear and pick your version e.g. SVV with Strong)

Each system has its good points. With e-sword most of them are free, but the ones you have to pay for do not always live up to the expectations.

The Online Bible full version (in yearly subsription form) has much to offer and gives much satisfaction. the extra to pay for modules give satisfaction, but I regret that with the Bibles the notes or not always included nor available.

:unsure: Yes OLB can be really Cool and easy to handle in the choice of Windows ("Vensters"/ I prefer vertical & horizontal - not synchronised) + one big advantage by making document, exhortaions or by using in Outlook or Outlook Express, is that you can use short keys to transpose the text and the Bible (version name place verses) is included.

Additional bought modules are easilly installed on OLB and integrated in the system. = Practical

Edited by marcusampe, 28 July 2005 - 09:52 AM.

In the love of Christ,

Marcus Ampe

Please, you are welcome to visit the Belgian Christadelphians Visit the Website and our Forums.

On the net we present two Groups: the General Religion Discussion-platform: Bijbelonderzoekers and the Christadelphian Christadelphian Journal
next to my space: Marcus' Space or the space of the Christadelphian Ecclesia

I am proud to be a member of Christadelphia

#45 marcusampe

marcusampe

Beta

• Christadelphian
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 10:02 AM

:smited:

Just noticed an analytical LXX translation, it has strong numbers :unsure: Shame you can't search using them, because they're footnotes :gagged:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hallo flappie,
nice to meet you here. You know you are always welcome to place some article on one of my groups as well, or to react on the articles over there.

Je kent ook mijn verdere gegevens om contact te hebben met België.
Groetjes.,
Marcus :rofl1:
In the love of Christ,

Marcus Ampe

Please, you are welcome to visit the Belgian Christadelphians Visit the Website and our Forums.

On the net we present two Groups: the General Religion Discussion-platform: Bijbelonderzoekers and the Christadelphian Christadelphian Journal
next to my space: Marcus' Space or the space of the Christadelphian Ecclesia

I am proud to be a member of Christadelphia

#46 beanie.law

beanie.law

Gamma

• Christadelphian
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:47 PM

Has anyone tried the Bible Tool Kit? It's only available on cd from the Christadelphian Office. They are not free, I think it costs £17.32 of which £10 goes toward CBM Welfare, the rest is paying for copyrights, no profits go to the Office or the Writer. This disc has a lot of translations (though not the NIV) and concordances and commontaries, it also has christadelphian hymn book, the new version and the last version and it has searchable map function. It has the Christadelphian reading planner which will take you directly to the days readings in any of the translations on the disc.

This program was built by a Christadelphian and it has proved to be quite popular, it has been out for a couple of years and I think a few hundred have been sold through the Office with good reviews, the editor is looking to add the NET bible to the lastest version and geneality of Christ which will be searchable. I'm not sure if it will run on Macs, but it will run on Win 98 to Win XP, you can either run it from disc or bung the lot onto your pc.

Any info wanted ask me.

Edited by beanie.law, 23 August 2005 - 05:56 PM.

#47 moeju

moeju

Epsilon

• Christadelphian MD
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:18 AM

I've been trying to download Rotherham's Emphasised Translation for months and I can't seem to do it. Can someone point me in the direction of a webpage that will let me download it and that will work please? I'm sure I've downloaded it before but it never seems to open.

By the way, I'm not very computer literate. :yep: :) But don't worry about a complicated reply, Elim will help me understand it (I hope, thanks Elim). :yep:

Thanks

Moe

#48 Jon D

Jon D

Pi

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:18 PM

Moeju,

Click here.

I think this will work on e-Sword.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus

#49 moeju

moeju

Epsilon

• Christadelphian MD
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:53 AM

S'all good.

Danke.

#50 Reuben

Reuben

Epsilon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:05 PM

Not sure if you've mentioned it, but if you're on Mac, you can check out Macsword or Online Bible. :ccm: Sorry I haven't linked....got to fly...

#51 granpa

granpa

Alpha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:15 PM

heres a good interlinear bible
http://www.scripture4all.org/

the best online source for commentaries that I've found is
http://net.bible.org/dictionary.php
(use the 'Study Dictionary' to the right not the 'universal search' to the left.)

Edited by granpa, 05 June 2010 - 11:20 PM.

#52 BDW

BDW

Pi

• Christadelphian
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:17 AM

greattreasures.org is pretty good too
"Christ in you, the hope of glory"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users