Epsilon

• Christadelphian MD
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 January 2003 - 08:08 AM

For those of you running Windows, http://www.e-sword.net/downloads.html

For those of you using Macs, http://www.heathmoor...s.com/macsword/

And for the folks running Linux, http://sourceforge.n...hp?group_id=954

Modules for the Mac and Linux programs can be downloaded from http://www.crosswire...dules/index.jsp

Due to copyright restrictions, not all Bible versions can be included in these programs. Several of those versions can be used online here: http://bible.gospelcom.net/bible

The Geneva Study Bible (1599 edition) can be found here: http://www.reformedr....org/gbn/en.htm

The New American Bible (Catholic, includes the Deuteros) can be found here: http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/bible/

Many documents from the Early Church Fathers (ECF) can be found here: http://www.ccel.org

The Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, Greek-English Lexicon (LSJ) can be found here: http://www.perseus.t....0057&query=toc

If anyone else has any other links to similar reference software or documents, please post them up.
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.
"Nobody's good can be achieved at the price of human sacrifices." Hank Rearden

#2 Evangelion

Evangelion

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,352 posts

Posted 04 January 2003 - 08:14 AM

Good gear! Thanks Jes. :ph34r:

BTW, E-Sword also has the Geneva Bible - complete with the marginal notes.
In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas
Imago
Credo

#3 beehive

beehive

Alpha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 04:20 PM

thumbs up!!!

#4 Evangelion

Evangelion

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 22,352 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 04:23 PM

:thumbsup:
In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas
Imago
Credo

#5 smor

smor

Eta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 06:10 PM

Thanks, This will be very helpful!! :shrug:
Webmaster for smor.org
http://smor.org is An ecumenical congregation with a rich Methodist and Presbyterian heritage.

Note: My avatar is made by the artist that makes venus envy.

#6 Leosum

Leosum
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 06:34 PM

This is a free and usefull tool in understanding Greek.

http://concordant.info/

Leo

#7 prezninja

prezninja

Alpha

• Christadelphian
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 07:55 PM

Just a note and a call for suggestions, but I've found that all the Bible software packages for Mac OS X I've used have left much to be desired.

Currently I find the most useful option to be running Classic-based Macintosh Online Bible. It's free, and has a huge number of translations available for use, and in terms of it's lightning fast searching you can search with both english words and strongs numbers. However, the Online Bible team has been extremely slack in releasing an Mac OS X based application, and their website says "Our new OSX native program is nearly ready and a free download should be available this year to run your version 3.0 CD in OSX." Well, it used to say "this May", and then "later this year" in 2003.

iBible 2.6 was the first Mac OS X based option, and is available for $15, and he'll even give it to your for free if you really can't afford that (I wouldn't be surprised after how much you spent on your Mac :eek:). It leaves MUCH to be desired, however. I remember searching being extremely slow, and the software is currently limited to two translations, one of which is KJV. There was the ability to look up strongs definitions, but no searching with strongs numbers.

MacSword 0.3.0 is also available for free, mentioned earlier, and the pros are that it has a number of modules available for use, and I found that very useful. The cons were that it was extremely slow in searching through the entire Bible (minutes) and it didn't allow for any searching based on Strongs numbers.

Accordance Bible Software is a suite I only used early after purchasing a Mac, and it was only a demo version. I didn't use it very much since the demo version limited me to two books of the Bible (Genesis and Matthew), but it seems like it would be the most useful of the currently available Mac OS X packages, since it apparently has great support for Hebrew and Greek language studying. If anyone has used this before, let me know what you think.

I hope that isn't more information than a Mac-based Bible student would find useful, but I've been wanting to write that all down on the web recently anyways, and now I have! If any other Mac users have other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

#8 Tarkus

Tarkus

Sigma

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:57 PM

Accordance Bible Software is a suite I only used early after purchasing a Mac, and it was only a demo version. I didn't use it very much since the demo version limited me to two books of the Bible (Genesis and Matthew), but it seems like it would be the most useful of the currently available Mac OS X packages, since it apparently has great support for Hebrew and Greek language studying. If anyone has used this before, let me know what you think.

I haven't used it - not having a Mac - as Accordance was Mac-only for years. But it was the package of choice for most of the Greek scholars on various e-lists I frequented a couple of years ago.

Have a look at the stuff available from the Gramcord Insitute. Here is their website.

T

#9 Kesaph

Kesaph

Tau

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 09:44 PM

E-sword now has the ESV guys! If you have e-sword download here

Edited by Kesaph, 22 April 2004 - 09:45 PM.

Prov 25:2
" It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter."

Prov 27:17
" Iron sharpeneth iron, so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend."

#10 Adanac

Adanac

Omega

• On Vacation
  • 14,886 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:22 PM

I've tried using E-Sword and found it nasty. Online Bible is waaaaay better.
Housework has been a snap since I realized... "Hey! I'm a guy!".

#11 Flappie

Flappie

Psi

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,730 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:07 AM

Pfffft!

The strong numbers in E-sword aren't always right. Luke and I found 2 wrong ones last week.
"I am Flappicus!"
"The first condition of immortality is death."
Broeders in Christus

#12 Adanac

Adanac

Omega

• On Vacation
  • 14,886 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:21 AM

Pfffft!

You wanna fight about it? :confused:

#13 Kesaph

Kesaph

Tau

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:23 AM

Pfffft!

The strong numbers in E-sword aren't always right. Luke and I found 2 wrong ones last week.

:confused:

then it is your duty to advise the e-sword guys so they can repair the damage and create a patch!
" It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter."

#14 Adanac

Adanac

Omega

• On Vacation
  • 14,886 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:23 AM

Pfffft!

Go Luke and Flappie. :confused:

Although you guys must have boring lives.

I found a wrong Strong's # in an old fashioned book version once. It seemed for a moment that Manassah did needlework in the sight of the LORD.

#15 Kesaph

Kesaph

Tau

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:24 AM

Perhaps you could give us some reasons Adanac?!

#16 Adanac

Adanac

Omega

• On Vacation
  • 14,886 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:27 AM

I think it's just personal preference and what you're used to. And my personal preference is right. :confused:

Seriously thought I just found what I use a computer Bible for - looking up for occurrences of words - simpler in OLB than E-Sword. Don't use it for anything else.

#17 Flappie

Flappie

Psi

• Christadelphian MD
  • 7,730 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:27 AM

Go Luke and Flappie. :confused:

Although you guys must have boring lives.

I found a wrong Strong's # in an old fashioned book version once. It seemed for a moment that Manassah did needlework in the sight of the LORD.

Oi!

We were looking for hilasmos, because of the debate with Julian, and it gave a few more than it should have.

Edited by Flappie, 23 April 2004 - 12:28 AM.

"I am Flappicus!"
Broeders in Christus

#18 Adanac

Adanac

Omega

• On Vacation
  • 14,886 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:59 AM

OK, let you off.

#19 Kesaph

Kesaph

Tau

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 01:25 AM

Eswaord is good for comparing Bible versions - of which there arent any decent ones you can freely download for the Online Bible...

#20 Kremlin

Kremlin

Sigma

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 04:11 AM

I think it's just personal preference and what you're used to. And my personal preference is right. :eek:

Seriously thought I just found what I use a computer Bible for - looking up for occurrences of words - simpler in OLB than E-Sword. Don't use it for anything else.

Please explain how you do this :)

At the moment its the only thing I use e-sword for ;)

I use OLB for everything else, but when I want to find all occurences of a particular word I search e-sword for the strong's number (which appears in the text next to the word) to get all verses with that strongs number in it. If there's a simple way to do it in OLB I want to hear about it!! :confused:

#21 Flappie

Flappie

Psi

• Christadelphian MD
  • 7,730 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 06:56 AM

Erm, if you rightmouse click in OLB, there's a strongs option. The numbers will appear next to the word then. Just makes it a little more annoying to read.

And if you click on it once, and then click on the torch search option in the toolbar, the strong number will be there, just click find, and there you go.

You can also just type in the strong number in the search thingy.
"I am Flappicus!"
Broeders in Christus

#22 Kremlin

Kremlin

Sigma

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 09:27 AM

Many thanks flappie :confused:

#23 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 09:28 AM

:)

E-Sword doesn't have one tenth the number of available downloads as OLB. :confused:
Miserere mei Deus,
Secundum magnam misericordiam tuam.
Et secundum multitudinem miserationum tuarum
dele iniquitatem meam.

Wesley answered “Thank you, sir. Your letter was superfluous, however, as I already knew the Lord has no need for my ‘book-learning,’ as you put it. However—although the Lord has not directed me to say so—on my own responsibility I would like to say to you that the Lord does not need your ignorance, either.”

Osborne & Woodward, ‘Handbook for Bible study’, pp. 13-14 (1979)

#24 Adanac

Adanac

Omega

• On Vacation
  • 14,886 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 03:01 PM

Press "s" to bring up strong's numbers. Press F7 to bring up the search dialog. Stick in your strong's number and press enter. Hey presto.

#25 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 03:06 PM

Eswaord is good for comparing Bible versions - of which there arent any decent ones you can freely download for the Online Bible...

I have about 30 free translations for the OLB, and at least 5 of them are invaluable. :confused:
Miserere mei Deus,
dele iniquitatem meam.

Wesley answered “Thank you, sir. Your letter was superfluous, however, as I already knew the Lord has no need for my ‘book-learning,’ as you put it. However—although the Lord has not directed me to say so—on my own responsibility I would like to say to you that the Lord does not need your ignorance, either.”

#26 Flappie

Flappie

Psi

• Christadelphian MD
  • 7,730 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 03:23 PM

I have about 30 free translations for the OLB, and at least 5 of them are invaluable. :confused:

What 5?
Why are they invaluable?
"I am Flappicus!"
Broeders in Christus

#27 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 03:27 PM

What 5?

• LXX in Greek
  • LXX in English
  • Rotherham
  • Interlinear Greek New Testament
  • Douay-Rheims

Why are they invaluable?

Should be obvious. :)
Miserere mei Deus,
dele iniquitatem meam.

#28 Flappie

Flappie

Psi

• Christadelphian MD
  • 7,730 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 03:44 PM

:)

Just noticed an analytical LXX translation, it has strong numbers :confused: Shame you can't search using them, because they're footnotes :eek:

Edited by Flappie, 23 April 2004 - 03:46 PM.

"I am Flappicus!"
Broeders in Christus

#29 Adanac

Adanac

Omega

• On Vacation
  • 14,886 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 03:54 PM

I have about 30 free translations for the OLB, and at least 5 of them are invaluable. :)

What 5?

• LXX in Greek

• LXX in English

• Rotherham

• Interlinear Greek New Testament

• Douay-Rheims

Why are they invaluable?

Should be obvious. :eek:

Which LXX?

Rotherham's is :confused:

I have Douay with my version of OLB. What use is it?

#30 Kesaph

Kesaph

Tau

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 04:00 PM

Maybe this is my ignorance showing...but I have never really heard of Douay-Rheims, I have never used Rotherams - though do know of it.

I was asking about an Iterlinear style LXX a while ago - you should have mentioned the English translation - it could be useful!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users