• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kay

Kay

Phi

• Admin
  • 5,993 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:43 AM

A group of Christadelphians styled as "Watchmen" and discussing various topics - a group of emails compiled early 2010 (several promoting Theistic Evolution), the following statement was made:

"In my professional work as a doctor, I deal with the reality of evolution, from antibiotic resistance through to the deeply flawed human body whose anatomy and physiology is only explicable when seen in the light of its evolutionary origin." Heard personally from a Christadelphian doctor.

The second statement conflicts with the Biblical passages, God's Word, as example Psalm 139:14, the first statement now appears to conflict with the Scientific data, recent research:

Resistance to Antibiotics Is Ancient

ScienceDaily (Sep. 16, 2011) — Scientists were surprised at how fast bacteria developed resistance to the miracle antibiotic drugs when they were developed less than a century ago. Now scientists at McMaster University have found that resistance has been around for at least 30,000 years.

Continued

and in Nature:

Antibiotic resistance is ancient

Vanessa M. D’Costa, Christine E. King, Lindsay Kalan, Mariya Morar, Wilson W. L. Sung, Carsten Schwarz, Duane Froese, Grant Zazula, Fabrice Calmels, Regis Debruyne, G. Brian Golding, Hendrik N. Poinar & Gerard D. Wright

Affiliations Contributions Corresponding authors

Nature 477, 457–461 (22 September 2011) doi:10.1038/nature10388

Received 28 March 2011 Accepted 22 July 2011 Published online 31 August 2011

The discovery of antibiotics more than 70 years ago initiated a period of drug innovation and implementation in human and animal health and agriculture. These discoveries were tempered in all cases by the emergence of resistant microbes1, 2. This history has been interpreted to mean that antibiotic resistance in pathogenic bacteria is a modern phenomenon; this view is reinforced by the fact that collections of microbes that predate the antibiotic era are highly susceptible to antibiotics3. Here we report targeted metagenomic analyses of rigorously authenticated ancient DNA from 30,000-year-old Beringian permafrost sediments and the identification of a highly diverse collection of genes encoding resistance to β-lactam, tetracycline and glycopeptide antibiotics. Structure and function studies on the complete vancomycin resistance element VanA confirmed its similarity to modern variants. These results show conclusively that antibiotic resistance is a natural phenomenon that predates the modern selective pressure of clinical antibiotic use.

Continued

One only has to watch.
"seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness" Matthew 6:33

#2 Biblaridion

Biblaridion

Lambda

• Christadelphian
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:56 AM

Hello Kay,

Interesting article. I am not an advocate of theistic evolution but I do believe that creation has a certain amount of inbuilt adaptability (within certain parameters)........after all many species have a large amount of so called "junk DNA" that does not seem to perform any function.....is it simply dormant (will it always be dormant...what activates it.....)? The article demonstrates that anti-biotic resistance has been around for a long time.......but bacteria and other pathogens are extremely adaptable because they are able to reproduce so quickly. I think here of the flu-virus that is constantly evolving. The over use of antibiotics seems to have accelerated the process of anti-biotic resistance by selecting those bacteria that are the most resistant. The fact that some of these anti-biotic resistant strains are ancient only demonstrates that the ability to adapt to hostile environments has existed for a long time. It neither proves nor disproves evolution.........I think life is extremely complex and resists facile scientific (or for that matter religious) explanations. The mind and means of the creator is beyond our ken.

Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users