4 replies to this topic

#1 Jesse2W

Jesse2W

Lambda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:48 PM

Do women wear head coverings? If so, when and why?

Are earrings allowed? If so, then why not other piercings? If not, then why not?

Are they allowed to wear jeans and a t-shirt? If so, then when? If not, then when and why?

What are the rules for leadership of women and participation in the Ecclesia?

What are the rules for men? Are tattoos, piecings, shorts, and jeans allowed? If not, then when and why?

#2 Stephen

Stephen

Xi

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:11 PM

In most ecclesias, Yes during the main memorial service. Why, because they misunderstand 1 Cor 11 and want to apply 1st century Roman customs to 21st century women. (They don't in my ecclesia)

Are earrings allowed? If so, then why not other piercings? If not, then why not?

Dress modestly is typically the rule of thumb. Pierce modestly would be the extension of that rule. A certain level of respect of your brethren is expected and it depends on the social norms of the ecclesia. One would hope that christian living would elevate ones behavior to not need rules.

Are they allowed to wear jeans and a t-shirt? If so, then when? If not, then when and why?

Depends on eccleia. Neither of the ones I attend had a problem with it.

What are the rules for leadership of women and participation in the Ecclesia?

Depends on ecclesia. Most won't allow women to teach sunday school to people above a certain age, almost all won't allow women in the pulpit.

What are the rules for men? Are tattoos, piecings, shorts, and jeans allowed? If not, then when and why?

Dress modestly within the social norms of the ecclesia. A certain level of respect of your brethren is expected and it depends on the social norms of the ecclesia. Getting new tatoos would generally be frowned upon. If you know you are going to end up in front of the ecclesia, it is generally expected that you dress respectfully. One would hope that christian living would elevate ones behavior to not need rules.
The important things are always simple; the simple are always hard.

#3 Jesse2W

Jesse2W

Lambda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:38 PM

Thanks Stephen! Those answers make me happy!

#4 Matt Smith

Matt Smith

Upsilon

• Forum Manager
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:34 AM

In most ecclesias, Yes during the main memorial service. Why, because they misunderstand 1 Cor 11 and want to apply 1st century Roman customs to 21st century women. (They don't in my ecclesia)

I respectfully disagree, Stephen. Please see attached.

Attached Files

Matt Smith
Arizona Christadelphians

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

#5 Stephen

Stephen

Xi

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:49 AM

I respectfully disagree, Stephen. Please see attached.

Thanks. I've read it more than once.
The important things are always simple; the simple are always hard.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users