#1 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:59 AM

First Portion

2 Chronicles 16; 17

16:1 In the six and thirtieth year of the reign of Asa, Baasha king of Israel went up against Judah, and built Ramah, that he might not allow anyone to go out or come in to Asa king of Judah. 16:2 Then Asa brought out silver and gold out of the treasures of the house of Yahweh and of the king’s house, and sent to Ben Hadad king of Syria, who lived at Damascus, saying, 16:3 “Let there be a treaty between me and you, as there was between my father and your father. Behold, I have sent you silver and gold. Go, break your treaty with Baasha king of Israel, that he may depart from me.”

16:4 Ben Hadad listened to king Asa, and sent the captains of his armies against the cities of Israel; and they struck Ijon, and Dan, and Abel Maim, and all the storage cities of Naphtali. 16:5 It happened, when Baasha heard of it, that he left off building Ramah, and let his work cease. 16:6 Then Asa the king took all Judah; and they carried away the stones of Ramah, and its timber, with which Baasha had built; and he built therewith Geba and Mizpah. 16:7 At that time Hanani the seer came to Asa king of Judah, and said to him, “Because you have relied on the king of Syria, and have not relied on Yahweh your God, therefore is the army of the king of Syria escaped out of your hand. 16:8 Weren’t the Ethiopians and the Lubim a huge army, with chariots and horsemen exceeding many? Yet, because you relied on Yahweh, he delivered them into your hand. 16:9 For the eyes of Yahweh run back and forth throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. Herein you have done foolishly; for from henceforth you shall have wars.”

16:10 Then Asa was angry with the seer, and put him in the prison; for he was in a rage with him because of this thing. Asa oppressed some of the people at the same time. 16:11 Behold, the acts of Asa, first and last, behold, they are written in the book of the kings of Judah and Israel. 16:12 In the thirty-ninth year of his reign Asa was diseased in his feet; his disease was exceeding great: yet in his disease he didn’t seek Yahweh, but to the physicians. 16:13 Asa slept with his fathers, and died in the one and fortieth year of his reign. 16:14 They buried him in his own tombs, which he had dug out for himself in the city of David, and laid him in the bed which was filled with sweet odors and various kinds of spices prepared by the perfumers’ art: and they made a very great burning for him.

#2 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:59 AM

17:1 Jehoshaphat his son reigned in his place, and strengthened himself against Israel. 17:2 He placed forces in all the fortified cities of Judah, and set garrisons in the land of Judah, and in the cities of Ephraim, which Asa his father had taken. 17:3 Yahweh was with Jehoshaphat, because he walked in the first ways of his father David, and didn’t seek the Baals, 17:4 but sought to the God of his father, and walked in his commandments, and not after the doings of Israel. 17:5 Therefore Yahweh established the kingdom in his hand; and all Judah brought to Jehoshaphat tribute; and he had riches and honor in abundance. 17:6 His heart was lifted up in the ways of Yahweh: and furthermore he took away the high places and the Asherim out of Judah. 17:7 Also in the third year of his reign he sent his princes, even Ben Hail, and Obadiah, and Zechariah, and Nethanel, and Micaiah, to teach in the cities of Judah; 17:8 and with them the Levites, even Shemaiah, and Nethaniah, and Zebadiah, and Asahel, and Shemiramoth, and Jehonathan, and Adonijah, and Tobijah, and Tobadonijah, the Levites; and with them Elishama and Jehoram, the priests. 17:9 They taught in Judah, having the book of the law of Yahweh with them; and they went about throughout all the cities of Judah, and taught among the people. 17:10 The fear of Yahweh fell on all the kingdoms of the lands that were around Judah, so that they made no war against Jehoshaphat. 17:11 Some of the Philistines brought Jehoshaphat presents, and silver for tribute; the Arabians also brought him flocks, seven thousand and seven hundred rams, and seven thousand and seven hundred male goats. 17:12 Jehoshaphat grew great exceedingly; and he built in Judah castles and cities of store. 17:13 He had many works in the cities of Judah; and men of war, mighty men of valor, in Jerusalem. 17:14 This was the numbering of them according to their fathers’ houses: Of Judah, the captains of thousands: Adnah the captain, and with him mighty men of valor three hundred thousand; 17:15 and next to him Jehohanan the captain, and with him two hundred eighty thousand; 17:16 and next to him Amasiah the son of Zichri, who willingly offered himself to Yahweh; and with him two hundred thousand mighty men of valor. 17:17 Of Benjamin: Eliada a mighty man of valor, and with him two hundred thousand armed with bow and shield; 17:18 and next to him Jehozabad and with him one hundred eighty thousand ready prepared for war. 17:19 These were those who waited on the king, besides those whom the king put in the fortified cities throughout all Judah.

#3 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:00 AM

Second Portion

Ezekiel 48

48:1 Now these are the names of the tribes: From the north end, beside the way of Hethlon to the entrance of Hamath, Hazar Enan at the border of Damascus, northward beside Hamath, (and they shall have their sides east and west), Dan, one portion. 48:2 By the border of Dan, from the east side to the west side, Asher, one portion. 48:3 By the border of Asher, from the east side even to the west side, Naphtali, one portion. 48:4 By the border of Naphtali, from the east side to the west side, Manasseh, one portion. 48:5 By the border of Manasseh, from the east side to the west side, Ephraim, one portion. 48:6 By the border of Ephraim, from the east side even to the west side, Reuben, one portion. 48:7 By the border of Reuben, from the east side to the west side, Judah, one portion. 48:8 By the border of Judah, from the east side to the west side, shall be the offering which you shall offer, twenty-five thousand reeds in breadth, and in length as one of the portions, from the east side to the west side: and the sanctuary shall be in its midst. 48:9 The offering that you shall offer to Yahweh shall be twenty-five thousand reeds in length, and ten thousand in breadth. 48:10 For these, even for the priests, shall be the holy offering: toward the north twenty-five thousand in length, and toward the west ten thousand in breadth, and toward the east ten thousand in breadth, and toward the south twenty-five thousand in length: and the sanctuary of Yahweh shall be in its midst. 48:11 It shall be for the priests who are sanctified of the sons of Zadok, who have kept my instruction, who didn’t go astray when the children of Israel went astray, as the Levites went astray. 48:12 It shall be to them an offering from the offering of the land, a thing most holy, by the border of the Levites. 48:13 Answerable to the border of the priests, the Levites shall have twenty-five thousand in length, and ten thousand in breadth: all the length shall be twenty-five thousand, and the breadth ten thousand. 48:14 They shall sell none of it, nor exchange it, nor shall the first fruits of the land be alienated; for it is holy to Yahweh. 48:15 The five thousand that are left in the breadth, in front of the twenty-five thousand, shall be for common use, for the city, for dwelling and for suburbs; and the city shall be in its midst. 48:16 These shall be its measures: the north side four thousand and five hundred, and the south side four thousand and five hundred, and on the east side four thousand and five hundred, and the west side four thousand and five hundred. 48:17 The city shall have suburbs: toward the north two hundred fifty, and toward the south two hundred fifty, and toward the east two hundred fifty, and toward the west two hundred fifty. 48:18 The remainder in the length, answerable to the holy offering, shall be ten thousand eastward, and ten thousand westward; and it shall be answerable to the holy offering; and its increase shall be for food to those who labor in the city. 48:19 Those who labor in the city, out of all the tribes of Israel, shall cultivate it. 48:20 All the offering shall be twenty-five thousand by twenty-five thousand: you shall offer the holy offering foursquare, with the possession of the city. 48:21 The residue shall be for the prince, on the one side and on the other of the holy offering and of the possession of the city; in front of the twenty-five thousand of the offering toward the east border, and westward in front of the twenty-five thousand toward the west border, answerable to the portions, it shall be for the prince: and the holy offering and the sanctuary of the house shall be in its midst. 48:22 Moreover from the possession of the Levites, and from the possession of the city, being in the midst of that which is the prince’s, between the border of Judah and the border of Benjamin, it shall be for the prince. 48:23 As for the rest of the tribes: from the east side to the west side, Benjamin, one portion. 48:24 By the border of Benjamin, from the east side to the west side, Simeon, one portion. 48:25 By the border of Simeon, from the east side to the west side, Issachar, one portion. 48:26 By the border of Issachar, from the east side to the west side, Zebulun, one portion. 48:27 By the border of Zebulun, from the east side to the west side, Gad, one portion. 48:28 By the border of Gad, at the south side southward, the border shall be even from Tamar to the waters of Meribath Kadesh, to the brook of Egypt, to the great sea. 48:29 This is the land which you shall divide by lot to the tribes of Israel for inheritance, and these are their several portions, says the Lord Yahweh. 48:30 These are the exits of the city: On the north side four thousand and five hundred reeds by measure; 48:31 and the gates of the city shall be after the names of the tribes of Israel, three gates northward: the gate of Reuben, one; the gate of Judah, one; the gate of Levi, one. 48:32 At the east side four thousand and five hundred reeds, and three gates: even the gate of Joseph, one; the gate of Benjamin, one; the gate of Dan, one. 48:33 At the south side four thousand and five hundred reeds by measure, and three gates: the gate of Simeon, one; the gate of Issachar, one; the gate of Zebulun, one. 48:34 At the west side four thousand and five hundred reeds, with their three gates: the gate of Gad, one; the gate of Asher, one; the gate of Naphtali, one. 48:35 It shall be eighteen thousand reeds around: and the name of the city from that day shall be, Yahweh is there.

#4 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:01 AM

Third Portion

John 17; 18

17:1 He said to the disciples, “It is impossible that no occasions of stumbling should come, but woe to him through whom they come! 17:2 It would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were thrown into the sea, rather than that he should cause one of these little ones to stumble. 17:3 Be careful. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him. If he repents, forgive him. 17:4 If he sins against you seven times in the day, and seven times returns, saying, ‘I repent,’ you shall forgive him.”

17:5 The apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith.”

17:6 The Lord said, “If you had faith like a grain of mustard seed, you would tell this sycamore tree, ‘Be uprooted, and be planted in the sea,’ and it would obey you. 17:7 But who is there among you, having a servant plowing or keeping sheep, that will say, when he comes in from the field, ‘Come immediately and sit down at the table,’ 17:8 and will not rather tell him, ‘Prepare my supper, clothe yourself properly, and serve me, while I eat and drink. Afterward you shall eat and drink’? 17:9 Does he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded? I think not. 17:10 Even so you also, when you have done all the things that are commanded you, say, ‘We are unworthy servants. We have done our duty.’”

17:11 It happened as he was on his way to Jerusalem, that he was passing along the borders of Samaria and Galilee. 17:12 As he entered into a certain village, ten men who were lepers met him, who stood at a distance. 17:13 They lifted up their voices, saying, “Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!”

17:14 When he saw them, he said to them, “Go and show yourselves to the priests.” It happened that as they went, they were cleansed. 17:15 One of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, glorifying God with a loud voice. 17:16 He fell on his face at Jesus’ feet, giving him thanks; and he was a Samaritan. 17:17 Jesus answered, “Weren’t the ten cleansed? But where are the nine? 17:18 Were there none found who returned to give glory to God, except this stranger?” 17:19 Then he said to him, “Get up, and go your way. Your faith has healed you.”

17:20 Being asked by the Pharisees when the Kingdom of God would come, he answered them, “The Kingdom of God doesn’t come with observation; 17:21 neither will they say, ‘Look, here!’ or, ‘Look, there!’ for behold, the Kingdom of God is within you.”

17:22 He said to the disciples, “The days will come, when you will desire to see one of the days of the Son of Man, and you will not see it. 17:23 They will tell you, ‘Look, here!’ or ‘Look, there!’ Don’t go away, nor follow after them, 17:24 for as the lightning, when it flashes out of the one part under the sky, shines to the other part under the sky; so will the Son of Man be in his day. 17:25 But first, he must suffer many things and be rejected by this generation. 17:26 As it happened in the days of Noah, even so will it be also in the days of the Son of Man. 17:27 They ate, they drank, they married, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ship, and the flood came, and destroyed them all. 17:28 Likewise, even as it happened in the days of Lot: they ate, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they built; 17:29 but in the day that Lot went out from Sodom, it rained fire and sulfur from the sky, and destroyed them all. 17:30 It will be the same way in the day that the Son of Man is revealed. 17:31 In that day, he who will be on the housetop, and his goods in the house, let him not go down to take them away. Let him who is in the field likewise not turn back. 17:32 Remember Lot’s wife! 17:33 Whoever seeks to save his life loses it, but whoever loses his life preserves it. 17:34 I tell you, in that night there will be two people in one bed. The one will be taken, and the other will be left. 17:35 There will be two grinding grain together. One will be taken, and the other will be left.” 17:36

17:37 They, answering, asked him, “Where, Lord?”

He said to them, “Where the body is, there will the vultures also be gathered together.”

#5 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:02 AM

18:1 He also spoke a parable to them that they must always pray, and not give up, 18:2 saying, “There was a judge in a certain city who didn’t fear God, and didn’t respect man. 18:3 A widow was in that city, and she often came to him, saying, ‘Defend me from my adversary!’ 18:4 He wouldn’t for a while, but afterward he said to himself, ‘Though I neither fear God, nor respect man, 18:5 yet because this widow bothers me, I will defend her, or else she will wear me out by her continual coming.’”

18:6 The Lord said, “Listen to what the unrighteous judge says. 18:7 Won’t God avenge his chosen ones, who are crying out to him day and night, and yet he exercises patience with them? 18:8 I tell you that he will avenge them quickly. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?”

18:9 He spoke also this parable to certain people who were convinced of their own righteousness, and who despised all others. 18:10 “Two men went up into the temple to pray; one was a Pharisee, and the other was a tax collector. 18:11 The Pharisee stood and prayed to himself like this: ‘God, I thank you, that I am not like the rest of men, extortioners, unrighteous, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 18:12 I fast twice a week. I give tithes of all that I get.’ 18:13 But the tax collector, standing far away, wouldn’t even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ 18:14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

18:15 They were also bringing their babies to him, that he might touch them. But when the disciples saw it, they rebuked them. 18:16 Jesus summoned them, saying, “Allow the little children to come to me, and don’t hinder them, for the Kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 18:17 Most certainly, I tell you, whoever doesn’t receive the Kingdom of God like a little child, he will in no way enter into it.”

18:18 A certain ruler asked him, saying, “Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?”

18:19 Jesus asked him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good, except one—God. 18:20 You know the commandments: ‘Don’t commit adultery,’ ‘Don’t murder,’ ‘Don’t steal,’ ‘Don’t give false testimony,’ ‘Honor your father and your mother.’”

18:21 He said, “I have observed all these things from my youth up.”

18:22 When Jesus heard these things, he said to him, “You still lack one thing. Sell all that you have, and distribute it to the poor. You will have treasure in heaven. Come, follow me.”

18:23 But when he heard these things, he became very sad, for he was very rich.

18:24 Jesus, seeing that he became very sad, said, “How hard it is for those who have riches to enter into the Kingdom of God! 18:25 For it is easier for a camel to enter in through a needle’s eye, than for a rich man to enter into the Kingdom of God.”

18:26 Those who heard it said, “Then who can be saved?”

18:27 But he said, “The things which are impossible with men are possible with God.”

18:28 Peter said, “Look, we have left everything, and followed you.”

18:29 He said to them, “Most certainly I tell you, there is no one who has left house, or wife, or brothers, or parents, or children, for the Kingdom of God’s sake, 18:30 who will not receive many times more in this time, and in the world to come, eternal life.”

18:31 He took the twelve aside, and said to them, “Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem, and all the things that are written through the prophets concerning the Son of Man will be completed. 18:32 For he will be delivered up to the Gentiles, will be mocked, treated shamefully, and spit on. 18:33 They will scourge and kill him. On the third day, he will rise again.”

18:34 They understood none of these things. This saying was hidden from them, and they didn’t understand the things that were said. 18:35 It happened, as he came near Jericho, a certain blind man sat by the road, begging. 18:36 Hearing a multitude going by, he asked what this meant. 18:37 They told him that Jesus of Nazareth was passing by. 18:38 He cried out, “Jesus, you son of David, have mercy on me!” 18:39 Those who led the way rebuked him, that he should be quiet; but he cried out all the more, “You son of David, have mercy on me!”

18:40 Standing still, Jesus commanded him to be brought to him. When he had come near, he asked him, 18:41 “What do you want me to do?”

He said, “Lord, that I may see again.”

18:42 Jesus said to him, “Receive your sight. Your faith has healed you.”

18:43 Immediately he received his sight, and followed him, glorifying God. All the people, when they saw it, praised God.

World English Bible - (WEB) - Public Domain

#6 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:34 AM

22 October 2008

2 Chronicles 16; 17
Ezekiel 48
John 17; 18

#7 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:01 AM

22 October 2009

2 Chronicles 16; 17
Ezekiel 48
John 17; 18

#8 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:07 AM

22 October 2010

2 Chronicles 16; 17
Ezekiel 48
John 17; 18

"THE EYES OF THE LORD RUN TO AND FRO THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE EARTH"

Hannani the seer spoke the above words to King Asa [2 Chronicles 16:9] and they summarize a great Truth.

They do not mean that the LORD is constantly interfering in the affairs of human beings, but they do mean, as many other passages say [Job 34:21; 1 Peter 3:12; Hebrews 4:13 etc) that the Creator is aware of all that is happening. The Book of Revelation makes it clear that his myriad of angels and Jesus do this.[Revelation 5:6]

Our Lord, supported by the angels knows all that is happening, more than this, the inner motives of those who are serving him. Our reading in Chronicles illustrates this, Asa, although an excellent king in many ways, lost some of his faith and commitment to God in his later years. We read yesterday of his reforms and the successes God blessed him with and how the prophet Azariah told him, “Hear me Asa and all Judah and Benjamin: The LORD is with you while you are with him. If you seek him, he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will forsake you.” [2 Chronicles 15:2]

So Asa could not say he had not been warned – and this message is one all of us should remember. This does not mean that everything will always be perfect in the lives of those who commit themselves to serve him. We see in the life of Jesus and later, the disciples, that there were testing times to prove and sp increase their faithfulness.

In today’s reading, the words we quoted at the beginning, occur when God’s prophet comes to rebuke the king after he had “done foolishly” after reigning successfully for 36 years. He had relied on the help of a foreign king instead of God. The prophet Hanani reminds him of the help God had given him in earlier years [2 Chronicles 16:8]. This is a lesson for our older readers – always remember the blessings God gave you in times of trouble when you prayed and trusted in him in some particular situation.

We had thoughts about our meaningful readings in John 17; 18 back on April 22.
-------
- DC

#9 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:37 AM

22 October 2011

2 Chronicles 16; 17
Ezekiel 48
John 17; 18

"YOUR WORD IS TRUTH"

Does anyone speak the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth in the world these days? Pilate asked Jesus, “What is truth?” [John 18:38] and the motive behind the question is not readily apparent - it was the end of their conversation.

Before his arrest, in his prayers, Jesus had expressed some remarkable thoughts which John has recorded for us. In the pressure on him because he knew what was about to happen, Jesus is thinking and praying for his disciples! What a remarkable example for us to try to follow if we are ever in a difficult and dangerous situation; we should focus our minds and pray for others.

Jesus prays, “Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me that they may be one, even as we are one” [John 17:11]. Strength comes through unity and Jesus knew they faced 3 heart wrenching days: it seems obvious they were together in their deep distress. Jesus continues, “I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction that the Scripture might be fulfilled. But now I am coming to you, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have my joy fulfilled in themselves. I have given them your word …” [John 17:12-14]. What kind of joy was fulfilled?

Glance back to John 16:22-24, “you have sorrow now, but I will see you again and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you … Until now you have asked nothing in my name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.” Joy beyond imagining awaits Christ’s true followers in the time soon to come.

For now, the words of Jesus are so meaningful, “They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth” [John 17:16,17] This brings us back to the question, “What is truth?” Surely it means that the foundation of all that is true is in what God has spoken via Jesus and other godly people. Another word for truth in modern parlance is the saying, ‘Get real!’ meaning something like – ‘Face reality.’

So when Pilate said to Jesus, “What is truth?” we rather think he was saying it in exasperation, he, as are others, are constantly surrounded by distorted “truth” and half truths. In today’s world it is more than ever the case. But we can say, as we pray to God, “Your word is truth” and make it the foundation of our thinking and doing.
-------
- DC

#10 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:38 AM

22 October 2012

2 Chronicles 16; 17
Ezekiel 48
John 17; 18

"THE LORD IS WITH YOU WHILE YOU ARE WITH HIM"

Hannani the seer spoke the above words to King Asa [2 Chronicles 16:9] and they summarize a great Truth.

They do not mean that the LORD is constantly interfering in the affairs of human beings, but they do mean, as many other passages say [Job 34:21; 1 Peter 3:12; Hebrews 4:13 etc) that the Creator is aware of all that is happening. The Book of Revelation makes it clear that his myriad of angels and Jesus do this.[Revelation 5:6]

Our Lord, supported by the angels knows all that is happening, more than this, the inner motives of those who are serving him. Our reading in Chronicles illustrates this, Asa, although an excellent king in many ways, lost some of his faith and commitment to God in his later years. We read yesterday of his reforms and the successes God blessed him with and how the prophet Azariah told him, “Hear me Asa and all Judah and Benjamin: The LORD is with you while you are with him. If you seek him, he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will forsake you.” [2 Chronicles 15:2]

So Asa could not say he had not been warned – and this message is one all of us should remember. This does not mean that everything will always be perfect in the lives of those who commit themselves to serve him. We see in the life of Jesus and later, the disciples, that there were testing times to prove and so increase their faithfulness.

In today’s reading, the words we quoted at the beginning, occur when God’s prophet comes to rebuke the king after he had “done foolishly” after reigning successfully for 36 years. He had relied on the help of a foreign king instead of God. The prophet Hanani reminds him of the help God had given him in earlier years [2 Chronicles 16:8]. This is a lesson for our older readers – always remember the blessings God gave you in times of trouble when you prayed and trusted in him in some particular situation.
-------
- DC

#11 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:00 AM

22 October 2013

2 Chronicles 16; 17
Ezekiel 48
John 17; 18

“… THEY ARE NOT OF THE WORLD”

The final prayer of Jesus before his arrest is intensely moving – it provokes the profoundest thoughts as we absorb its meaning into our minds. We could have expected Jesus to concentrate his thoughts inward, on himself and establish a conviction of mind that his will must become the same as his Father’s will – and the other gospels show that he did this in the garden by the Mount of Olives (see Luke 22:39-46 and other gospels)

John’s record as “the disciple whom Jesus (specially) loved” [John 21:7,20 &c] enables him to record his Master’s intensely personal prayer that we read today in John 17. We read how Jesus “lifted up his eyes to heaven” and said, “”The hour has come …” [John 17:1] and there follows, after he has stated his deep awareness that his Father is “glorified” in what he has done and is about to do; he says [John 17:6] “I have manifested your name to the people whom you gave me out of the world.”

The “name” of the Father can be understood as his intimate involvement with those called to serve him, as the disciples were, they became “worthy” of his name” (see Acts 5:41), worthy of some degree of ‘reflection’ in their characters, of his name.. One was “lost … the son of destruction” [John 17:12] For all the others, he said in prayer, “I have given them the words that you gave me, and they have received them and have come to know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me. I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world …” [John 17:8-9]

Then Jesus makes the point. “I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world.” [John 17:14] What does it mean to be “not of the world”? It is a way of emphasizing the big difference between those who have their values and focus on this world and those whose minds are alive to “heavenly things.” (remember what Jesus said to Nicodemus – John 3:12)

Jesus prays that his father “will keep them from evil” (AV – the Gk text does not have ‘evil one’) Jesus then states again, “They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.” [John 17:16-17] The word ‘Sanctify’ means to set apart to become holy – and “thy word – God’s word, the Bible, is an essential ingredient for that to happen.

But how do we use that ‘ingredient’ in our lives? We must each ask ourselves that question. Just how well-nourished is my mind? Let us all give ourselves an honest answer.
-------
- DC

#12 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:53 PM

22 October 2014

2 Chronicles 16; 17
Ezekiel 48
John 17; 18 

“THE EYES OF THE LORD”

Today in 2nd Chronicles we read the climax of the life of king Asa – and it has vital lessons for us.  He had been a good king – for 35 years – but then he began to trust in his own ways of thinking – and not seek the LORD’s guidance when enemies came against him.  The northern kingdom of Israel provokes a war against him [2 Chronicles 16:1] and he contacts the king of Syria for help instead of the LORD. Hanani the seer is sent by the LORD to rebuke him saying,  "Because you relied on the king of Syria, and did not rely on the LORD your God, the army of the king of Syria has escaped you.   Were not the Ethiopians and the Libyans a huge army with very many chariots and horsemen? Yet because you relied on the LORD, he gave them into your hand." [2 Chronicles 16:7-8] 

The next verse is one we should memorise and reflect on day by day, it should be a foundation principle in our awareness of God." the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to give strong support to those whose heart is blameless toward him."  

There was one fully  blameless heart - resulting in a blameless life, that of our Lord. His intensely personal prayer we read today in John 17 includes the significant point (for us) that he is "not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours." [John 17:9].  Later he prays  " "I do not ask for these only (the disciples), but also for those who will believe in me through their word ..." [John 17:20] 

We believe because we have accepted the word the disciples spread and recorded.   The time is coming when the disciples - and all who have believed through their word" (the Lord says in this special prayer as his arrest is immanent)  that they “may be with me where I am to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world." [John 17:24]   

That verse takes us forward to the Kingdom era - it also challenges us to appreciate that timelessness is with God "declaring the end from the beginning" [Isaiah 46:10  cf. Revelation 21:6] This further illustrates the truth that "the eyes of the LORD" constantly scan "throughout the whole earth"  We are reminded of Paul's words to the Athenians, that the one real God "is actually not far from each one of us, for 'In him we live and move and have our being'" [Acts 17:27-28] 

May we embrace this 'vision' of the awesome reality of the unseen, and be able to sense "the eyes of the Lord" watching over us and rely on him and his Son to the end of our days - or until his Son, our Saviour appears - and that maybe very soon.
-------
- DC

#13 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:53 AM

22 October 2015

2 Chronicles 16; 17
Ezekiel 48
John 17; 18  

“WHAT IS TRUTH”

Today, John’s gospel provides us with 2 challenging chapters to describe the climax of the teaching of Jesus to his disciples on the final night before his arrest.  A particular highlight of this teaching is that the disciples will become “one” – there will no longer be any rivalry [Luke 9:46; 22:24] among them as to who would be “the greatest.”  The prayer of Jesus that we read today is answered, "that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me." [John 17:23] And so they did – after his resurrection and ascension – an example for us.

John 18 today describes in detail the arrest of Jesus - and John was the disciple (almost certainly the youngest) who was an eye witness to these events and describes them in the most detail. What intrigues us is his account of our Lord’s contact with Pilate and Pilate's reaction. 

When Pilate asked," "So you are a king?" Jesus answered, "You say that I am a king. For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world ­ to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice." [John 18:37]  And for us – we should say – reads what he taught!

This leads Pilate to utter his final comment – [John 18:38] "'What is truth?'  In the past we always assumed that when Pilate said, "What is truth?" it was a question, but now we think it was most probably an expression of despair – no one ever told him the whole truth and nothing but the truth.  But we notice how Pilate accepted – in some sense – the kingship of Jesus – for the next thing he does is to go out and say to his accusers – "I find no guilt in him.  But you have a custom that I should release one man for you at the Passover. So do you want me to release to you the King of the Jews?" [John 18:39] 

Luke's' account is interesting, obviously gained from interviewing eye-witnesses, we read, "Pilate addressed them once more, desiring to release Jesus,  but they kept shouting, "Crucify, crucify him!" A third time he said to them, "Why, what evil has he done? I have found in him no guilt deserving death. I will therefore punish and release him." [Luke 23:20-22] But the final comment is  "... their voices prevailed." 

There are a multitude of voices that prevail today – how few are interested in what is the real "truth"!? A multitude of voices say life all originated from an endless – and timeless - series of chance happenings – and for nearly all "their voices (have) prevailed." May our minds not be overwhelmed by the "voices" that are all around us, but read – and absorb – God's word – the source of all truth – every day.   
-------
- DC

#14 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:18 AM

22 October 2016

2 Chronicles 16; 17
Ezekiel 48
John 17; 18  

"YOUR WORD IS TRUTH" 

Does anyone speak the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth in the world these days? 

Pilate asked Jesus, “What is truth?” [John 18:38]; the motive behind the question is not readily apparent – and it was the end of their conversation. 

Before his arrest, in his prayers, Jesus had expressed some remarkable thoughts which John has recorded for us. In the pressure on him, because he knew what was about to happen, Jesus is thinking and praying for his disciples! What a remarkable example for us to try to follow if we are ever in a difficult and dangerous situation; we should focus our minds and pray for others. 

Jesus prays, “Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me that they may be one, even as we are one” [John 17:11]. Strength comes through unity and Jesus knew they faced 3 heart wrenching days: it seems obvious they were together in their deep distress. Jesus continues, “I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction that the Scripture might be fulfilled. But now I am coming to you, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have my joy fulfilled in themselves. I have given them your word …” [John 17:12-14]. What kind of joy was fulfilled?

Glance back to John 16:22-24, “you have sorrow now, but I will see you again and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you … Until now you have asked nothing in my name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.” Joy beyond imagining awaits Christ’s genuine followers in the time soon to come. 

For now, the words of Jesus are so meaningful, “They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth” [John 17:16-17] 

This brings us back to the question, “What is truth?” Surely it means that the foundation of all that is true is in what God has spoken via Jesus and other godly people. Another word for truth in modern parlance is the saying, ‘Get real!’ meaning something like – ‘Face reality.’ 

So when Pilate asked Jesus, “What is truth?” - we think it was likely said in exasperation. He, as are others, are constantly surrounded by distorted “truth” and half-truths. In today’s world it is more than ever the case. But we can say, as we pray to God, “Your word is truth” and make it the foundation of our thinking and doing every day. 
-------
- DC

#15 Librarian

Librarian

Omega

• Publications
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:07 AM

22 October 2017

2 Chronicles 16; 17
Ezekiel 48
John 17; 18  

"… THEY ARE NOT OF THE WORLD"

The final prayer of Jesus before his arrest is intensely moving – it provokes the profoundest thoughts as we absorb its meaning into our minds. We could have expected Jesus to concentrate his thoughts inward, on himself and establish a conviction of mind that his will must become the same as his Father's will – and the other gospels show that he did this in the garden by the Mount of Olives (see Luke 22:39-46 and other gospels).

John's record as "the disciple whom Jesus (specially) loved" [John 21:7,20 &c] enables him to record his Master's intensely personal prayer that we read today in John 17. We read how Jesus "lifted up his eyes to heaven and said, 'The hour has come …'" [John 17:1] and there follows, after he has stated his deep awareness that his Father is "glorified" in what he has done and is about to do; he says [John 17:6] "I have manifested your name to the people whom you gave me out of the world."  

The "name" of the Father can be understood as his intimate involvement with those called to serve him, as the disciples were: they became "worthy of his name" (see Acts 5:41). They became worthy of some degree of "reflection" in their characters, of his name. Only one was "lost … the son of destruction" [John 17:12]. 

For all the others, he said in prayer, "I have given them the words that you gave me, and they have received them and have come to know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me. I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world …" [John 17:8-9].  

Then Jesus makes the point. "I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world." [John 17:14] What does it mean to be "not of the world"? It is a way of emphasizing the big difference between those who have their values and focus on this world and those whose minds are alive to "heavenly things" (Remember what Jesus said to Nicodemus – John 3:12). 

Jesus prays that his father "will keep them from evil" (AV – the Greek text does not have "evil one") Jesus then states again, "They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth" [John 17:16-17]  

The word "Sanctify" means to set apart to become holy – and "thy word" – God's word, the Bible, is an essential ingredient for that to happen. But how do we use that "ingredient" in our lives?  We must each ask ourselves that question!  

Just how well-nourished is my mind? Let us all give ourselves an honest answer.
-------
- DC

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users