17 replies to this topic

#1 LioneDea

LioneDea

Lambda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

Why been Genesis to Malachi are called Old testament, what covenant which God outdated there?

end.

Disclaimer: We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do. (Luke 17:10)

#2 Matt Smith

Matt Smith

Upsilon

• Forum Manager
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:00 PM

The "old covenant" which was done away with was the one given to Moses (i.e.: the Law of Moses). The "Old Testament" refers to the books of the Bible written before the birth of Jesus, known to the Hebrews as "Tanakh".
Matt Smith
Arizona Christadelphians

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

#3 LioneDea

LioneDea

Lambda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

The "old covenant" which was done away with was the one given to Moses (i.e.: the Law of Moses). The "Old Testament" refers to the books of the Bible written before the birth of Jesus, known to the Hebrews as "Tanakh".

Lione D' ea: Genesis 2:15 Let us read:

And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Lione D' ea: Therefore the 5 books of Moses are outdated as you claim because of 10 commandments written there. So in Genesis 2:15 does this scripture fulfilled it already or not before the begotten God was made flesh?

end.

Disclaimer: We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do. (Luke 17:10)

#4 Richie

Richie

Chi

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

The principles of the Law remain for all time; it's the letter of the law and the old covenant that has been done away with. Genesis 3:14 will ultimately be fulfilled when Christ returns and destroys the last enemy, death, but he fulfilled it in himself on the cross.
  • Matt Smith likes this
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett.

#5 Matt Smith

Matt Smith

Upsilon

• Forum Manager
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:17 PM

And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Lione D' ea: Therefore the 5 books of Moses are outdated as you claim because of 10 commandments written there.

I never said that. Read what I said.

So in Genesis 2:15 does this scripture fulfilled it already or not before the begotten God was made flesh?

end.

Genesis 2:15 - And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.

Yes. That's the past.

Genesis 3:15 - And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

As Richie said, this will be ultimately fulfilled when Jesus returns. The process started at the cross and will be fully accomplished when flesh is done away with at the end of the millennium.
Matt Smith
Arizona Christadelphians

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

#6 LioneDea

LioneDea

Lambda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:30 PM

The principles of the Law remain for all time; it's the letter of the law and the old covenant that has been done away with. Genesis 3:14 will ultimately be fulfilled when Christ returns and destroys the last enemy, death, but he fulfilled it in himself on the cross.

Lione D' ea: So the 5 books of Moses is not old testament do you agree...because Genesis 3:14 was not happened in that time and remember the last enemy was not yet fulfilled up to now so how come Genesis to Malachi are called old testament. Another cited related in Genesis 3:14 which belong in old testament in Isaiah 14:12 Read:

How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

Lione D' ea: Are those Law was fulfilled already or not?

end.

#7 LioneDea

LioneDea

Lambda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:38 PM

Lione D' ea: Therefore the 5 books of Moses are outdated as you claim because of 10 commandments written there.

I never said that. Read what I said.

Lione D' ea: Ah ok my mistakes

So in Genesis 2:15 does this scripture fulfilled it already or not before the begotten God was made flesh?

end.

Genesis 2:15 - And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.

Yes. That's the past.

Genesis 3:15 - And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

As Richie said, this will be ultimately fulfilled when Jesus returns. The process started at the cross and will be fully accomplished when flesh is done away with at the end of the millennium.

Lione D' ea: Sorry brother my refers is Genesis 3:14. My question was in Genesis 3:14 is this law was fulfilled in that time or not?

end.

#8 Richie

Richie

Chi

• Christadelphian MD
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

You need to understand the difference between these two things:

1. The Old Testament Scriptures.
2. The Old Covenant.

They are two different things. (2) is explained in (1).
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett.

#9 LioneDea

LioneDea

Lambda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:49 PM

You need to understand the difference between these two things:

1. The Old Testament Scriptures.
2. The Old Covenant.

They are two different things. (2) is explained in (1).

Lione D' ea: Can you explain it to me how Genesis 3:14 called old testament if it was not fulfilled there already?

end.

#10 Richie

Richie

Chi

• Christadelphian MD
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

The serpent was cursed at that particular time in history. I am not sure what you question means. It's recorded in the Old Testament but is not part of the Old Covenant.

#11 LioneDea

LioneDea

Lambda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:39 PM

The serpent was cursed at that particular time in history. I am not sure what you question means. It's recorded in the Old Testament but is not part of the Old Covenant.

Lione D' ea: We are not talking about God cursed the serpent, my refer is if the law in Genesis 3:15 was occurred or not, IF NOT then why Genesis to Malachi are called old testament which are some in old testament are not yet occurred nor fulfill in that time?

end.

Edited by LioneDea, 17 June 2012 - 02:39 PM.

#12 Matt Smith

Matt Smith

Upsilon

• Forum Manager
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:53 PM

I do not understand what you are asking.
Matt Smith
Arizona Christadelphians

#13 LioneDea

LioneDea

Lambda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:48 PM

Lione D' ea: Why Genesis to Malachi are called Old testament which are some of law written there are not yet fulfilled like Genesis 3:15?

end.

#14 Richie

Richie

Chi

• Christadelphian MD
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:15 PM

We still don't understand your question. But to attempt an answer:

Genesis to Malachi are called the old testament because that's the label we've decided (or someone in the past at least) to give to those series of books.
  • Matt Smith likes this

#15 Matt Smith

Matt Smith

Upsilon

• Forum Manager
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:50 AM

Lione D' ea: Why Genesis to Malachi are called Old testament which are some of law written there are not yet fulfilled like Genesis 3:15?

end.

I answered you in the second post. Richie also says the same.
Matt Smith
Arizona Christadelphians

#16 LioneDea

LioneDea

Lambda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:48 AM

end.

I answered you in the second post. Richie also says the same.

Lione D' ea: Then so is the passage of Genesis 3:15 is this Law was fulfilled in that time or not?

end.

#17 Richie

Richie

Chi

• Christadelphian MD
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:36 PM

I think we've already answered this but here we go again: Genesis 3:15 describes the conflict between the seed of the woman and the seed of the serpent. There are examples of this conflict throughout Scripture, for example:

Cain versus Abel
Saul versus David

The main example is seen in Christ. On the cross the serpent power of sin, through the actions of the serpent's seed (chief priests etc.), hurt Jesus in the heel because he died. But he rose from the dead dealing a death blow to the head of sin and death.

This has nothing to do with the old covenant.

#18 LioneDea

LioneDea

Lambda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:23 AM

I think we've already answered this but here we go again: Genesis 3:15 describes the conflict between the seed of the woman and the seed of the serpent. There are examples of this conflict throughout Scripture, for example:

Cain versus Abel
Saul versus David

The main example is seen in Christ. On the cross the serpent power of sin, through the actions of the serpent's seed (chief priests etc.), hurt Jesus in the heel because he died. But he rose from the dead dealing a death blow to the head of sin and death.

This has nothing to do with the old covenant.

Lione D' ea: What is your proof we can read in the Bible that it was Cain versus Abel and David versus Saul can you testify that?

Philippians 3:2 "Beware of dogs,"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users