2 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Evans

Phil Evans
  • Christadelphian
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:27 PM

Hello all

I am doing a study on the firstborn and have a question:

The Law tells us that the redemption ceremony for a firstborn male child took place on the 8th day (Ex 22:29-30). Interestingly this coincided with the day of the baby's circumcision too.

My question is - was Jesus redeemed in this way? Luke 2 makes no specific mention of it. And even though Luke writes about Jesus being brought 'to Jerusalem to present Him to the Lord', this was a long time after the 8th day.

So was Jesus redeemed under the Law, and if not, why? I do have some ideas myself, but would be interested to hear from others first.

Thanks!

#2 nsr

nsr

Order of the Golden Pedant 2nd Class

• Forum Manager
  • 6,370 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:37 PM

Luke 2:27

...the parents brought in the child Jesus to do for him what was customary according to the law...

Though exactly what that included, I don't know off the top of my head.
"But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, to an innumerable company of angels, to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are registered in heaven, to God the Judge of all, to the spirits of just men made perfect..." (Heb 12:22-23)

#3 Phil Evans

Phil Evans
  • Christadelphian
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:43 PM

Luke 2:27

...the parents brought in the child Jesus to do for him what was customary according to the law...

Though exactly what that included, I don't know off the top of my head.

This refers to the 40th day purification offering, which was required for all births, not just for the firstborn.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users