38 replies to this topic

#31 Steven

Steven

Upsilon

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 11:10 AM

As I've said, I believe Paul's phrase for it was 'Do everything in a decent and orderly manner' (1 Corinthians 14:40).

Well, yes it's good advice for a church which charismatic problems.
But what about advice for a church with an uncharismatic problem?

He-man.
Did someone else have access to your PC?

#32 He-man

He-man

Rho

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 01:23 PM

"There are always critics of formality in worship. Formality is not always a popular word. But all too often the reaction against it is lacking in thought. 'Christ and the apostles would have had none of this formality, surely: they were sincere and spontaneous in their worship,' it is said. Well, what does formality mean? It means having a form, a regular shape, a pattern, like Daniel praying three times daily in a certain place, at a certain time, and facing in a certain direction. Could we say that the worship of Christ, who obeyed the law to perfection, was irregular and formless? It could hardly be levelled at the apostles either, who set up and established the first ecclesias on a fomal basis. It is easy to get carried away with the apparent bogeyman of formality, especially for the young, and to decry it as stifling zeal and emotion.
David was undoubtedly a man who was spontaneous and sincere in his worship of the Lord; how he loved the form of the worship that he knew. He said: 'Lord, I have loved the habitation of they house.' 'In the congregation will I bless the Lord.' He said that the law of the Lord was perfect, the Lord's statutes rejoiced the heart, His commandments were pure and enlightening, the fear of the Lord clean and enduring, His judgments true and altogether righteous, and all this was more to be desired than fine gold, and sweeter than the finest honey. Yes, in the congregation he rejoiced to bless the Lord in the formal worship. Let us never believe that the formality of our worship can ever stand in the way of the spiritual pleasures it can give us..."

-C Attridge(March Exhortations, pp. 51-52)

Your formal ;) stinks!
In every word and all knowledge as the testimony of the God was firmed up in you
So that you would be not lacking in not even one favor awaiting the revelation of the Lord of us Jesus Anointed who will also firm you up unto the end without reproach in the day of the Lord of us Jesus
Faithful is the God through whom you were called into fellowship of His Son Jesus Anointed the Lord of us
I entreat you brothers through the name of the Lord of us Jesus Anointed that you all speak the same and that there be no divisions or splits among you but you should be readying with the same mind and with the same opinion for it was made manifest to me concerning you brothers by the ones of Chloe that there are strifes among you......

You are best to Put away formality and teach the Word of God.
For it has been written I will destroy the wisdom of the wise and I will set aside the learning of the intelligent.

Erm, He-man, what's this all about?

What is this all about?? I should have known you could not see the errors of formality being wrought up in your own conceits and snobbery, thinking you have the power to say who does what or who wears what or who votes or votes not or who drinks or drinks not.
Pr 26:5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

You are best to Put away formality and teach the Word of God.
For it has been written I will destroy the wisdom of the wise and I will set aside the learning of the intelligent.

1Pe 4:11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability 2479 which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

2479 ιχσυσ To be strong; to strengthen; to be able; to prevail, force, strength, might

Ματτ 25΅9 9 But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.

Edited by He-man, 21 March 2006 - 01:31 PM.

He-man Called "THE SINGER"
1 Chr 25:5 King's seerer in the matters of God
1 Chr XV 16-22 "The Vocal & Instrumental Music of the Temple Service in the Reign of David"

#33 Asyncritus

Asyncritus

Chi

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:03 PM

What is this all about?? I should have known you could not see the errors of formality being wrought up in your own conceits and snobbery, thinking you have the power to say who does what or who wears what or who votes or votes not or who drinks or drinks not.
Pr 26:5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

What's the matter old friend? You haven't been posting like this, and you have completely surprised me. PM me if you'd like to discuss anything. Be glad to hear from you.

Asyncritus
God, be merciful to me
The Sinner

#34 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:00 PM

As I've said, I believe Paul's phrase for it was 'Do everything in a decent and orderly manner' (1 Corinthians 14:40).

It's still good advice. When is a 'decent and orderly manner' inappropriate?
Miserere mei Deus,
Secundum magnam misericordiam tuam.
Et secundum multitudinem miserationum tuarum
dele iniquitatem meam.

Wesley answered “Thank you, sir. Your letter was superfluous, however, as I already knew the Lord has no need for my ‘book-learning,’ as you put it. However—although the Lord has not directed me to say so—on my own responsibility I would like to say to you that the Lord does not need your ignorance, either.”

Osborne & Woodward, ‘Handbook for Bible study’, pp. 13-14 (1979)

#35 Grace

Grace

Sigma

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:42 PM

What's the matter old friend? You haven't been posting like this, and you have completely surprised me. PM me if you'd like to discuss anything. Be glad to hear from you.

Asyncritus

You're lovely Async. ;)

Ditto on this post He-man... Hope you're ok.
"Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing."

William James

#36 He-man

He-man

Rho

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:07 PM

Asyncritus

You're lovely Async. ;)

Ditto on this post He-man... Hope you're ok.

:book:
He-man Called "THE SINGER"
1 Chr 25:5 King's seerer in the matters of God
1 Chr XV 16-22 "The Vocal & Instrumental Music of the Temple Service in the Reign of David"

#37 Steven

Steven

Upsilon

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 12:32 AM

It's still good advice. When is a 'decent and orderly manner' inappropriate?

Well, it isn't a catch phrase in the other epistles is it? Why??

Different congregations have different problems.

#38 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 02:32 AM

Well, it isn't a catch phrase in the other epistles is it? Why??

Different congregations have different problems.

You don't need to remind people to do the right thing when they're already doing the right thing. But the right thing is always the right thing.
Miserere mei Deus,
Secundum magnam misericordiam tuam.
Et secundum multitudinem miserationum tuarum
dele iniquitatem meam.

Wesley answered “Thank you, sir. Your letter was superfluous, however, as I already knew the Lord has no need for my ‘book-learning,’ as you put it. However—although the Lord has not directed me to say so—on my own responsibility I would like to say to you that the Lord does not need your ignorance, either.”

Osborne & Woodward, ‘Handbook for Bible study’, pp. 13-14 (1979)

#39 Tommy-Evans

Tommy-Evans
  • Christadelphian
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:06 PM

It is a good idea to base our worship around some kind of structure.

Having a structure encourages a routine, for example we have a breaking of bread service every Sunday. Therefore we have a routine of going to the meeting every Sunday. What the structure happens to be is immaterial, it is enough that it exists.

A routine of worship - as long as that worship is in spirit and in truth - can never be a bad thing.

Once there is a routine, informality can happen around it - but informality taking the place of routine is dangerous. Merely because it is harder to break a routine.

The size of the ecclesia can also have an impact on formality/informality. Generally speaking, the larger an ecclesia the more important it is to have a more ordered structure. A large group of informal people is a cumbersome thing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users