• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kay

Kay

Upsilon

• Admin
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 01:05 PM

Brother Richard Patterson of the Verdugo Hills Ecclesia, California, gave our exhortation this morning and based on today's third portion of the Daily Readings - Luke 1.

What always come to mind, and in the reading of Luke 1, verse 28, but in context from verse 26:

"Now in the sixth month, the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city of Galilee, named Nazareth, 27 to a virgin pledged to be married to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. The virgin’s name was Mary. 28 Having come in, the angel said to her, “Rejoice, you highly favored one! The Lord is with you. Blessed are you among women!"

that Mary was "you highly favored one! The Lord is with you. Blessed are you among women!" it is so astounding that this woman, Mary, in her actions and faith found such favour with God and to bear His son.

Could we ever imagine in our lives to be the same - what manner of woman was she?
"seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness" Matthew 6:33

#2 janice

janice

Mu

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:14 AM

Brother Richard Patterson of the Verdugo Hills Ecclesia, California, gave our exhortation this morning and based on today's third portion of the Daily Readings - Luke 1.

What always come to mind, and in the reading of Luke 1, verse 28, but in context from verse 26:

"Now in the sixth month, the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city of Galilee, named Nazareth, 27 to a virgin pledged to be married to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. The virgin’s name was Mary. 28 Having come in, the angel said to her, “Rejoice, you highly favored one! The Lord is with you. Blessed are you among women!"

that Mary was "you highly favored one! The Lord is with you. Blessed are you among women!" it is so astounding that this woman, Mary, in her actions and faith found such favour with God and to bear His son.

Could we ever imagine in our lives to be the same - what manner of woman was she?

I guess we all wonder about Mary. The thing that has always impressed me is the way she could quote the scriptures for her praise of God. It is said of Elizabeth that she was moved by the Holy Spirit but Mary said her words of praise without any indication that the Spirit directly moved her. The other amazing thing is her minimal questioning - "how can this be?" was her only objection - once told how her acceptance was complete.

Edited by janice, 09 September 2008 - 11:15 AM.

#3 janice

janice

Mu

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:20 AM

Obviously Mary was a wonderful mother for Jesus. I think the first reading gives an example how important mothers can be - I think it's all or almost all good kings of Judah have their mothers' names recorded for posterity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users