#1 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,091 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:21 AM

First Portion

Joshua 8

8:1 Yahweh said to Joshua, “Don’t be afraid, neither be dismayed. Take all the people of war with you, and arise, go up to Ai. Behold, I have given into your hand the king of Ai, with his people, his city, and his land. 8:2 You shall do to Ai and her king as you did to Jericho and her king, except its spoil and its livestock, you shall take for a plunder for yourselves. Set an ambush for the city behind it.”

8:3 So Joshua arose, and all the people of war, to go up to Ai. Joshua chose thirty thousand men, the mighty men of valor, and sent them out by night. 8:4 He commanded them, saying, “Behold, you shall lie in ambush against the city, behind the city. Don’t go very far from the city, but all of you be ready. 8:5 I, and all the people who are with me, will approach to the city. It shall happen, when they come out against us, as at the first, that we will flee before them. 8:6 They will come out after us, until we have drawn them away from the city; for they will say, ‘They flee before us, like the first time.’ So we will flee before them, 8:7 and you shall rise up from the ambush, and take possession of the city; for Yahweh your God will deliver it into your hand. 8:8 It shall be, when you have seized on the city, that you shall set the city on fire. You shall do this according to the word of Yahweh. Behold, I have commanded you.”

8:9 Joshua sent them out; and they went to set up the ambush, and stayed between Bethel and Ai, on the west side of Ai; but Joshua stayed among the people that night. 8:10 Joshua rose up early in the morning, mustered the people, and went up, he and the elders of Israel, before the people to Ai. 8:11 All the people, even the men of war who were with him, went up, and drew near, and came before the city, and encamped on the north side of Ai. Now there was a valley between him and Ai. 8:12 He took about five thousand men, and set them in ambush between Bethel and Ai, on the west side of the city. 8:13 So they set the people, even all the army who was on the north of the city, and their ambush on the west of the city; and Joshua went that night into the midst of the valley. 8:14 It happened, when the king of Ai saw it, that they hurried and rose up early, and the men of the city went out against Israel to battle, he and all his people, at the time appointed, before the Arabah; but he didn’t know that there was an ambush against him behind the city. 8:15 Joshua and all Israel made as if they were beaten before them, and fled by the way of the wilderness. 8:16 All the people who were in the city were called together to pursue after them. They pursued Joshua, and were drawn away from the city. 8:17 There was not a man left in Ai or Beth El who didn’t go out after Israel. They left the city open, and pursued Israel.

8:18 Yahweh said to Joshua, “Stretch out the javelin that is in your hand toward Ai, for I will give it into your hand.”

Joshua stretched out the javelin that was in his hand toward the city. 8:19 The ambush arose quickly out of their place, and they ran as soon as he had stretched out his hand, and entered into the city, and took it. They hurried and set the city on fire. 8:20 When the men of Ai looked behind them, they saw, and behold, the smoke of the city ascended up to heaven, and they had no power to flee this way or that way. The people who fled to the wilderness turned back on the pursuers. 8:21 When Joshua and all Israel saw that the ambush had taken the city, and that the smoke of the city ascended, then they turned again, and killed the men of Ai. 8:22 The others came out of the city against them, so they were in the midst of Israel, some on this side, and some on that side. They struck them, so that they let none of them remain or escape. 8:23 They captured the king of Ai alive, and brought him to Joshua.

8:24 It happened, when Israel had made an end of killing all the inhabitants of Ai in the field, in the wilderness in which they pursued them, and they had all fallen by the edge of the sword, until they were consumed, that all Israel returned to Ai, and struck it with the edge of the sword. 8:25 All that fell that day, both of men and women, were twelve thousand, even all the men of Ai. 8:26 For Joshua didn’t draw back his hand, with which he stretched out the javelin, until he had utterly destroyed all the inhabitants of Ai. 8:27 Only the livestock and the spoil of that city Israel took for prey to themselves, according to the word of Yahweh which he commanded Joshua. 8:28 So Joshua burnt Ai, and made it a heap forever, even a desolation, to this day. 8:29 He hanged the king of Ai on a tree until the evening, and at the sundown Joshua commanded, and they took his body down from the tree, and threw it at the entrance of the gate of the city, and raised a great heap of stones on it that remains to this day.

8:30 Then Joshua built an altar to Yahweh, the God of Israel, in Mount Ebal, 8:31 as Moses the servant of Yahweh commanded the children of Israel, as it is written in the book of the law of Moses, an altar of uncut stones, on which no man had lifted up any iron. They offered burnt offerings on it to Yahweh, and sacrificed peace offerings. 8:32 He wrote there on the stones a copy of the law of Moses, which he wrote in the presence of the children of Israel. 8:33 All Israel, and their elders and officers, and their judges, stood on this side of the ark and on that side before the priests the Levites, who carried the ark of Yahweh’s covenant, the foreigner as well as the native; half of them in front of Mount Gerizim, and half of them in front of Mount Ebal, as Moses the servant of Yahweh had commanded at the first, that they should bless the people of Israel. 8:34 Afterward he read all the words of the law, the blessing and the curse, according to all that is written in the book of the law. 8:35 There was not a word of all that Moses commanded, which Joshua didn’t read before all the assembly of Israel, with the women, the little ones, and the foreigners who were among them.

#2 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,091 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:22 AM

Second Portion

Isaiah 12

12:1 In that day you will say, “I will give thanks to you, Yahweh; for though you were angry with me, your anger has turned away and you comfort me. 12:2 Behold, God is my salvation. I will trust, and will not be afraid; for Yah, Yahweh, is my strength and song; and he has become my salvation.” 12:3 Therefore with joy you will draw water out of the wells of salvation. 12:4 In that day you will say, “Give thanks to Yahweh! Call on his name. Declare his doings among the peoples. Proclaim that his name is exalted! 12:5 Sing to Yahweh, for he has done excellent things! Let this be known in all the earth! 12:6 Cry aloud and shout, you inhabitant of Zion; for the Holy One of Israel is great in the midst of you!”

#3 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,091 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:23 AM

Third Portion

1 Timothy 1; 2; 3

1:1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus according to the commandment of God our Savior, and Christ Jesus our hope; 1:2 to Timothy, my true child in faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.

1:3 As I urged you when I was going into Macedonia, stay at Ephesus that you might command certain men not to teach a different doctrine, 1:4 neither to pay attention to myths and endless genealogies, which cause disputes, rather than God’s stewardship, which is in faith— 1:5 but the goal of this command is love, out of a pure heart and a good conscience and sincere faith; 1:6 from which things some, having missed the mark, have turned aside to vain talking; 1:7 desiring to be teachers of the law, though they understand neither what they say, nor about what they strongly affirm. 1:8 But we know that the law is good, if a man uses it lawfully, 1:9 as knowing this, that law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, 1:10 for the sexually immoral, for homosexuals, for slave-traders, for liars, for perjurers, and for any other thing contrary to the sound doctrine; 1:11 according to the Good News of the glory of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust. 1:12 And I thank him who enabled me, Christ Jesus our Lord, because he counted me faithful, appointing me to service; 1:13 although I was before a blasphemer, a persecutor, and insolent. However, I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief. 1:14 The grace of our Lord abounded exceedingly with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus. 1:15 The saying is faithful and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. 1:16 However, for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first, Jesus Christ might display all his patience, for an example of those who were going to believe in him for eternal life. 1:17 Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, to God who alone is wise, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.

1:18 This instruction I commit to you, my child Timothy, according to the prophecies which led the way to you, that by them you may wage the good warfare; 1:19 holding faith and a good conscience; which some having thrust away made a shipwreck concerning the faith; 1:20 of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I delivered to Satan, that they might be taught not to blaspheme.

#4 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,091 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:23 AM

2:1 I exhort therefore, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercessions, and givings of thanks, be made for all men: 2:2 for kings and all who are in high places; that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and reverence. 2:3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior; 2:4 who desires all people to be saved and come to full knowledge of the truth. 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, 2:6 who gave himself as a ransom for all; the testimony in its own times; 2:7 to which I was appointed a preacher and an apostle (I am telling the truth in Christ, not lying), a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.

2:8 I desire therefore that the men in every place pray, lifting up holy hands without anger and doubting. 2:9 In the same way, that women also adorn themselves in decent clothing, with modesty and propriety; not just with braided hair, gold, pearls, or expensive clothing; 2:10 but (which becomes women professing godliness) with good works. 2:11 Let a woman learn in quietness with all subjection. 2:12 But I don’t permit a woman to teach, nor to exercise authority over a man, but to be in quietness. 2:13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve. 2:14 Adam wasn’t deceived, but the woman, being deceived, has fallen into disobedience; 2:15 but she will be saved through her childbearing, if they continue in faith, love, and sanctification with sobriety.

#5 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,091 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:24 AM

3:1 This is a faithful saying: if a man seeks the office of an overseer, he desires a good work. 3:2 The overseer therefore must be without reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, sensible, modest, hospitable, good at teaching; 3:3 not a drinker, not violent, not greedy for money, but gentle, not quarrelsome, not covetous; 3:4 one who rules his own house well, having children in subjection with all reverence; 3:5 (but if a man doesn’t know how to rule his own house, how will he take care of the assembly of God?) 3:6 not a new convert, lest being puffed up he fall into the same condemnation as the devil. 3:7 Moreover he must have good testimony from those who are outside, to avoid falling into reproach and the snare of the devil.

3:8 Servants, in the same way, must be reverent, not double-tongued, not addicted to much wine, not greedy for money; 3:9 holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience. 3:10 Let them also first be tested; then let them serve if they are blameless. 3:11 Their wives in the same way must be reverent, not slanderers, temperate, faithful in all things. 3:12 Let servants be husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well. 3:13 For those who have served well gain for themselves a good standing, and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus.

3:14 These things I write to you, hoping to come to you shortly; 3:15 but if I wait long, that you may know how men ought to behave themselves in the house of God, which is the assembly of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth. 3:16 Without controversy, the mystery of godliness is great:

God was revealed in the flesh,
justified in the spirit,
seen by angels,
preached among the nations,
believed on in the world,
and received up in glory.

World English Bible - (WEB) - Public Domain

#6 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,091 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:54 AM

22 May 2009

Joshua 8
Isaiah 12
1 Timothy 1; 2; 3

#7 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,091 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:04 AM

22 May 2010

Joshua 8
Isaiah 12
1 Timothy 1; 2; 3

IN AUTHORITY

We live in a world where those in authority are constantly being challenged. Where democracy is practiced, elections become public confrontations. An earnest and committed Bible believer experiences feelings of dismay. What attitudes should he or she take?

In the early days of our community, the pioneers were confronted in the USA by the Civil War, it was a testing time as these pioneers realized they had a higher citizenship, knowing that Paul wrote, “our citizenship is in heaven” [Philippians 3:20]. Our God and Saviour are the highest authority, and, as we will read next week in Hebrews, that authority is “discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart … no creature is hidden from his sight” [Hebrews 4:12,13]. Our Lord in heaven sees all.

Today’s chapters in 1 Timothy contain some valuable principles we need to ‘hold’ in our minds. Timothy has been left at Ephesus to help the ecclesia grow [1 Timothy 1:3]. Paul’s letter highlights some the fact that our foremost allegiance is to “the king of the ages, immortal, the only God,” to him “be honour and glory for ever and ever” [1 Timothy 1:7].

A true believers’ relationship with human authorities is not one of rebellious actions against such authority however justified than might sometimes seem. However, history shows that some believers have destroyed their faith and service before God by doing this. Paul tells Timothy, “First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life, godly and dignified in every way” [1 Timothy 2:1, 2]

What a challenge this was to Paul in his own life, such was the nature of the opposition he encountered, yet he was “godly and dignified” in all the confrontations that were forced upon him. It becomes increasingly evident that the true believer takes no part, or sides, in the confrontations between factions in elections because he (or she) serves a higher authority.

The 3rd chapter today illustrates Paul’s concern that those in authority in the church “must be above reproach” [1 Timothy 3:2] and details the spiritual qualities they should have. “I am writing these things to you that … you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, a pillar and buttress of truth” [1 Timothy 3:14, 15]. For those who will have authority in God’s coming kingdom, this is a valuable period of training.
-------
- DC

#8 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,091 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:26 AM

22 May 2011

Joshua 8
Isaiah 12
1 Timothy 1; 2; 3

"HOW ONE OUGHT TO BEHAVE IN THE HOUSEHOLD OF GOD"

Paul's letter to Timothy is full of advice and instruction we can use for ourselves. He tells Timothy that, I hope to come to you soon , but I am writing these things to you so that, if I delay, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church (assembly) of the living God." [1 Timothy 3:15] Then Paul tells them how each community of believers should have overseers,or elders. He goes into great detail about the qualities such a person needs to have.

He must be married and have brought up children for if he cannot effectively manage "his own household" how will he properly "care for God's church."? [1 Timothy 3:5]. Also "he must not be a recent convert, or he may become puffed up with conceit and fall into the condemnation of the devil." [1 Timothy 3:6] What is this devil? How can an overseer be seen to be condemned by a devil?

The translators are inconsistent, for the Greek word diabolos they translate here as devil occurs again in 1 Timothy 3:11 about what the character of the wives of deacons should NOT be! They translate diabolos as "slanderer"in this case! The character of deacon's wives must be such that they never stoop to slander anyone. Where diabolos occurs in 2 Timothy 3:3 and Titus 2:3 the translators have rightly rendered it as slanderer or some similar word.

So it makes sense to understand that if they make a recent convert an overseer or elder there is a possibility that a jealous member may slander them. A most unfortunate false image can be painted in the minds of some: they may start to think that believers in the opposite direction' Gods's word contains no such idea.

Those who take any position of responsibility in God's church "must be dignified, not double tongued, not addicted to much wine, not greedy ... They must hold the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience" [1 Timothy 3:8, 9]. Timothy is told, "set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity." [1 Timothy 4:12] We should all take Paul's advice on this.
-------
- DC

#9 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,091 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:41 AM

22 May 2012

Joshua 8
Isaiah 12
1 Timothy 1; 2; 3

" ... ALL THAT IS WRITTEN"

Over the last few days we have been reading about the conquests of the Israelites after they crossed the Jordan. The account of the conquest of Jericho is well known and the way the walls fell down. Then there was a setback in achieving what had appeared to be an easy task in conquering the nearby smaller town of Ai. A surprising reason came to light; there had been disobedience with a stealing of the spoils in the conquest of Jericho. The Israelites learnt a hard lesson. A second attempt to conquer Ai succeeded.

It is most illuminating to note what Joshua then did; “he built an altar to the LORD, the God of Israel, on Mount Ebal” [Joshua 8:30], and they made “offerings to the LORD and sacrificed peace offerings” [Joshua 8:31] and Joshua “wrote on the stones a copy of the law of Moses” [Joshua 8:32] which would have been the ten commandments. But not content with that, “afterward he read all the words of the law, the blessing and the curse, according to all that is written in the Book of the Law. There was not a word of all that Moses commanded that Joshua did not read before all the assembly of Israel, and the women, and the little ones and the sojourners who lived among them” [Joshua 8:34,35]

It is obvious to us why he read “all that is written” – it was so that the failure they had recently experienced would not be repeated! Also, that they would be inspired with a “vision” in their minds of the wonder of the God they served and the long term future of their nation.

This is the reason why we read God’s words every day. It is more essential than ever for God’s word to be in our minds to “inspire” us to face each day with a ‘vision of things unseen.’ Look at the words we read in Isaiah today! “God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid … with joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation. And you will say in that day, ‘Give thanks to the LORD, call upon his name, make known his deeds among the peoples … Sing praises to the LORD, for he has done gloriously …” [Isaiah 12:2-5] He has done – but will do even more gloriously. Isaiah later writes, “… no eye has seen a God beside you, who acts for those who wait for him. You meet him (and her) who joyfully works righteousness, those who remember you in your ways.” [Isaiah 64:4-5]
-------
- DC

#10 Librarian

Librarian

Psi

• Publications
  • 7,091 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:27 AM

22 May 2013

Joshua 8
Isaiah 12
1 Timothy 1; 2; 3

"HOW ONE OUGHT TO BEHAVE”

Paul's letter to Timothy is full of advice and instruction we can use for ourselves. He tells Timothy that, “I hope to come to you soon , but I am writing these things to you so that, if I delay, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church (assembly) of the living God." [1 Timothy 3:15] Paul goes on to explain how each community of believers should have overseers, or elders. He goes into great detail about the qualities such persons ought to have.

He must be married and have brought up children for if he cannot effectively manage "his own household" how will he properly "care for God's church."? [1 Timothy 3:5]. Also "he must not be a recent convert, or he may become puffed up with conceit and fall into the condemnation of the devil." [1 Timothy 3:6]

What is this devil? How can an overseer be seen to be condemned by a devil? The translators are inconsistent, for the Greek word diabolos they translate here as devil occurs again in 1 Timothy 3:11 about what the character of the wives of deacons should NOT be! They translate diabolos as "slanderer“ in this case! The character of deacon's wives must be such that they never stoop to slander anyone. Where diabolos occurs in 2 Timothy 3:3 and Titus 2:3 the translators have rightly rendered it as slanderer or some similar word depending on your version.

Jesus said “Have I not chosen you, the Twelve? Yet one of you is a devil” (diabolos) [John 6:70] It is to be greatly regretted that the Church, over time, built up a totally fictitious story of a evil supernatural spirit being.

So it makes sense to understand Paul’s advice that they should not make a recent convert an overseer or elder until he has developed godly wisdom to prevent the possibility that he could “fall into disgrace and the snare of the devil” dDiabolos)

Those who take any position of responsibility in God's church "must be dignified, not double tongued, not addicted to much wine, not greedy ... They must hold the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience" [1 Timothy 3:8-9]. Timothy is told that he should, "set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity." [1 Timothy 4:12] We should all take Paul's advice as to “how one ought to behave in the household of God.” Yes! God’s household! Do you belong?.
-------
- DC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users