Photo
- - - - -

Sargon legend (without basket in bulrushes)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Steven

Steven

Upsilon

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:15 AM

Hi sibs.
I thought this would interest those who've come across Bible-critics waving around the (later) Sargon legend about Sargon as a baby being sent down the river in a basket to be found by a princess.

When I first heard it (years ago) I wondered if that's what Miriam had in mind when sent Moses down the river to the princess, but the 7thC. BC account with the basket incident actually only dates to a generation after the later Sargon II (the Bible Sargon) had destroyed Samaria and incorporated the 10 tribes (along with the book of Exodus of course) into the Assyrian empire, and here's a link to the Oxford database of Sumerian materials to the much earlier Akkadian account where the basket and bulrushes story is missing, and would seem to not fit very well with what is recorded:

http://etcsl.orinst....tion2/tr214.htm

While that's not totally the death-knoll for my pet theory that Miriam was acting on prior knowledge of Akkadian precedent, and therefore playing on the Egyptian princess' superstition, it now seems equally possible that Sargon II's scribes borrowed the story from Moses to bolster Sargon II's hold over the new Samarian territory.

Apologies if this is all old news, I haven't been round this area much recently.
God bless
Steven

#2 Fortigurn

Fortigurn

Omega

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,244 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:09 AM

When confronted with the Sargon legend, I did some investigation and turned up this information. The fact that it didn't exist prior to the 7th century BC kills the idea that it was borrowed by the Hebrews.
Miserere mei Deus,
Secundum magnam misericordiam tuam.
Et secundum multitudinem miserationum tuarum
dele iniquitatem meam.

Wesley answered “Thank you, sir. Your letter was superfluous, however, as I already knew the Lord has no need for my ‘book-learning,’ as you put it. However—although the Lord has not directed me to say so—on my own responsibility I would like to say to you that the Lord does not need your ignorance, either.”

Osborne & Woodward, ‘Handbook for Bible study’, pp. 13-14 (1979)

#3 seanbam

seanbam

Iota

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 04:36 AM

It may be a bit stranger than hitherto thought. My recent research incidentally touched on this Sargon/Moses similarity. An idea occured to me that Joshua's halting of the sun might be connected with the "2 suns" depicted on the stele of Naram-sin. There is also a similar 430 yrs etc.... So maybe the similar story is more closely connected (timewise/etc) than expected? (Usually they claim Moses came after Sargon 1.) I not meaning bible from Akkadian tho. Perhaps the baby story is interconnected with water catastrophe [red sea/atlantis] 80yrs later?
Please do see my research results so far at: http://www.freewebs....dition/iraq.htm
[Prob won't be any more progress tho as I'm suffering extreme misery/suffering/persecution/illness....]
life is about love.
(&, people come in pairs.)

#4 Chris

Chris

Rho

• Christadelphian MD
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:34 PM

Hi sibs.
I thought this would interest those who've come across Bible-critics waving around the (later) Sargon legend about Sargon as a baby being sent down the river in a basket to be found by a princess.

When I first heard it (years ago) I wondered if that's what Miriam had in mind when sent Moses down the river to the princess, but the 7thC. BC account with the basket incident actually only dates to a generation after the later Sargon II (the Bible Sargon) had destroyed Samaria and incorporated the 10 tribes (along with the book of Exodus of course) into the Assyrian empire, and here's a link to the Oxford database of Sumerian materials to the much earlier Akkadian account where the basket and bulrushes story is missing, and would seem to not fit very well with what is recorded:

http://etcsl.orinst....tion2/tr214.htm

While that's not totally the death-knoll for my pet theory that Miriam was acting on prior knowledge of Akkadian precedent, and therefore playing on the Egyptian princess' superstition, it now seems equally possible that Sargon II's scribes borrowed the story from Moses to bolster Sargon II's hold over the new Samarian territory.

Apologies if this is all old news, I haven't been round this area much recently.
God bless
Steven

Very interesting and useful. Thanks for this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users